• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Once Fhiess notices that there were people waiting for Barrow already, he stands dour and depression noticeably sets in. He had been hoping to get the people's attention again and show that his promises weren't so empty. He sighs heavily and walks up to Barrow, "Ah, can I have my things back? You and Peaseblossom can have the kitty."

He thinks about what to do now. He considers returning to the inn and finding a corner to cry in, but it might be better to talk a walk. He remembers something he's required of, and says, "There is a fine I must pay for my incompetence. I should head out to do that right away."

Mike M

Nick N
Oliff seems suitably impressed by Ludwig's display of knowledge, nodding his head in agreement to much of the J'Raffa's points. "You've got most of it right," he says. "Our party is the minority opinion in the Chamber of Lunus, but one of the small mercies of the Hammerfall system is that our chamber only requires a plurality to pass legislation. With Barrow's help, I'm hopeful we can deliver our own chamber, which will free up resources to lobby the others.

"The Chamber of Ance is no sure thing, I'm afraid. Some of our most valued allies hold seats in that chamber, but they're perpetually starved for bribery funds and a super-majority is required for any measure to be approved. We will need to be strategic where we focus our efforts. I'm afraid we won't have time to do anything more elaborate than the usual threats, bribes, and favors, however."

((As it seems there is little reason to stick around unless your name is Thurtwin Bartholomew Barrow or Skullcracker, and seeing how Keranos seems to have settled down, Galen will opt to head out with Fhiess and Sagishi.

On that note, how well would longbow training work while in Forgerun, or will that have to be put on hold?))

Mike M

Nick N
((Now that it's asked, it would be extremely difficult to find space to practice with the longbow in Hammerfall, so I'm afraid you're going to lose those days for practice.))

((
Now that it's asked, it would be extremely difficult to find space to practice with the longbow in Hammerfall, so I'm afraid you're going to lose those days for practice.
I kind of figured that would be the case, but it's for a good cause. We certainly wouldn't want to disturb the Underground, now would we? Or get in trouble for shooting into and across that chasm leading to the boss's lair in the city center.
I'm still waiting for Fhiess to be scolded by everyone.
Performance Reviews. But as I said, it'll be fine.))

Nezumi

((Post willl come in the next 24 hours. I promise. Mike probably will set a timer and hold me to that ;)
I recently took on more hours at work and while I can cope with more money in my account rather well, I still need to get adapted to having less free time. I think I finally got a system going though, so let's hope it works.))

Nezumi

When the rest of the group arrives with Barrow Sagishi is glad that the dwarf needs little convincing to help them. It also seems that at least for this day that had done all they could. The others seem to think the same as Fhiess excuses himself in his usual insecure manner and Sagishi is at once reminded of the youth's earlier "performance". Sagishi ponders for a second.

"Fhiess, wait. I'll tag along if you don't mind."

Before Fhiess would even have a chance to answer, Sagishi has already jumped from his seat with so much vigor that he stumbles forward and bumps almost headfirst into the other, only a miracle preventing them to fall to the floor in a tangle of limbs.

"Oops, sorry for that."

Sagishi straightens himself up again before patting Fhiess on the back.

"Let's go then. shall we?"

They walk a few minutes in silence while Sagishi considers how to best approach the topic. After all he wanted the boy to gain confidence, not run him down as to alienate him even more.

"Did I ever tell you that my mother was a musician?" he asks in his most innocent, I'm just making small talk voice.

"She could pick up any instrument, no matter how strange, and just make it sing. When I was little I liked to believe that she was able to talk to them. That there was a secret language of instruments that only she could hear and understand." He pauses for a moment and a pained smile of nostalgia plays around his face.

"The less mystical truth of course was a lifetime of practice and dedication and last but not least a simple and pure love for music. My mother lived for music. No. She lived music. She was always singing or humming or whistling and even in such moments where none of these things were appropriate her whole body would sway, ever so slightly, to some melody only she could hear. She...," Sagishi breaks off as he realizes that he is straying away from the point he was going to make.

"Anyway...", he fumbles in his pockets and holds up Fhiess' ocarina. "My mother once told me that a musician and his instrument have a bond. That the musician has to honor this bond. That he has to treat the instrument...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"...like a part of their own soul." Sagishi's mother held up the lute so that Sagishi could see the dangling parts of the torn string. "Is this how you would treat a part of your soul?"

Sagishi looked to the floor to escape his mother's piercing gaze. He was still too young to actually know the phrase, but nonetheless he had a profound feeling that he had fucked up bad. It was one of those times in which a child finds that they had stepped so far across the line so that, for a short time at least, they fear that this time, there really is no way back.

"What were you thinking?"

Sagishi realized that he couldn't just pretend not to hear his mother's question forever. Things might only get worse.

"I... I just wanted to play some music. For... for Tudo and the others... they... we..." he stopped. The betrayal, of how fast his friends had stormed out of the wagon when the door had flung open mid-performance and they had spotted Sagishi's mother, still stung. "We were just having fun," he finally finished meagerly with just a small hint of defiance.

"Playing music? Pah!" His mother shook her head. "What kind of music does, this, this?" Again the torn string dangled before Sagishi's nose. He thought it best not to give his mother a performance of "Zargos is smelly and has a fat belly..." as he had the feeling she wouldn't appreciate the humor quite as much as his friends had. Worse, she might tell the old grumpy fire-breather, and Sagishi still bore a patch of burned hair from the last time Zargos had caught them at some mischief. So he just went back to staring at the patch of floor before his feet.

An eternity seem to pass in silence before Sagishi finally heard an exasperated sigh and when he looked up some of the anger had vanished from his mother’s expression. Eventually she put the lute on the table and walked over to a chest in the corner. Still afraid to say something wrong, Sagishi watched in silence as his mother opened the chest and after some rummaging around, retrieved a small lacquered box. She motioned Sagishi to come and sit with her at the table and looking for every opportunity to further appease her, he followed her command without hesitation.

His mother put the lacquered box between them and opened it. Inside lay what to Sagishi looked like a feather carved from some dark wood. Making sure that she had Sagishi’s full attention, his mother took up the feather and in a slow waving motion moved it before her lips while she blew ever so gently on it. A melody floated through the room. It was subtle and pleasant, like an ethereal flute but at the same time there was a rhythm to it that kept pulling Sagishi along.

His mother stopped and put the strange instrument down.

“Long ago. In the very beginning of things. There was nothing but chaos and the gods. Each of the gods had a different idea of how to order should be brought to chaos and so they were locked in an eternal struggle, while all of existence remained in disorder.

“The first god to grow tired of the constant fighting was Zumerasu so one day she turned away from the home of the gods and instead started walking along the random shores of chaos alone.

“For a long time The great Mother simply walked on and on, taking enjoyment of simply being able to be a part of creation and for a time Zumerasu was able to forget the long war she had been fighting since the beginning of all, but soon her thoughts returned to the gods and how they were ever going to achieve order.

“It was then when the wind carried a sound, unlike anything Zumerasu had ever heard to her. She stood transfixed as the melody spun around her and for a moment she saw creation as it should be. Saw the dance of existence, with its circles and pirouettes, its patterns, its flows and its rhythms.

“The moment past and Zumerasu hurried to find the source of this wonderful sound. And in her eagerness it didn’t take her long before she came to a hill. On its top stood the charred remains of a massive tree and on the biggest of the blackened branches perched a bright yellow bird. When it saw Zumerasu approaching it stopped its singing and inclined its head, fixating its black beady eye on the goddess.

“Zumerasu fell to her knees tears of joy and excitement running down her face. ‘Please!’ she begged of the bird. ‘Please, teach me how you do that, so I can bring the knowledge of it to my people.’

“The bird considered her plea for a long time before it finally rustled its plumage and then leapt from its branch, taking to the sky above them. Zumerasu stretched out her hand in desperate gesture, but as the bird vanished in the distant chaos a single feather floated down and landed before her.

“Zumerasu picked up the feather and as the wind caught its vanes the goddess could heard but the smallest hint of the beautiful music from before and she understood that the bird had granted her request after all.

“Zumerasu remained under the charred tree for a long time, determined to master the secrets of the feather. She waved it through the air in changing patterns, strummed its vanes, blew on it. Moment for moment the feather presented a new layer which Zumerasu had to master until finally the melody that had first lured her to the tree whirled around her and Zumerasu was able to see the dance of creation once more.

“Triumphant she returned to the other gods and she rose above their quarreling heads and without further announcement started playing with the feather. And the gods saw what she had seen and they understood what she had understood and so it was out of music that our universe was born and that order was brought to creation.”

Sagishi’s mother stopped and held out the wooden feather to Sagishi, when she saw his wide eyes she laughed. “This is not the real thing, little whirlwind. It’s a children’s toy used to teach children the fundamentals of music. I got this from my father when I was a little younger than you are now…” Her voice trailed of and at the mention of her father a dark cloud had crept over her features, but Sagishi knew better than to ask. He knew he wouldn’t get an answer anyway. So he simply accepted the feather, holding it carefully between his fingers, afraid he might break it.

Sagishi waved the feather about and blew on it just as his mother had done before, but instead of the playful melody, a shrill trilling sound escaped from the instrument that instead of tingling, seemed to grind into his ears and brain.

When he looked at his mother questioningly, she simply raised an eyebrow. “Zumerasu spent an eternity below the charred tree practicing, remember? Don’t tell me you thought you could do it without practice?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

”It became clear pretty quick that I had not the least talent for music. It was probably the biggest disappointment I ever inflicted on my mother.... besides running away, maybe,”Sagishi continues his story, though the last sentence seems to be said more to himself than to Fhiess. “She did however hide it well and never let it show. I was so thankful for that at the time, that I vowed to at least love and respect music as much if not more than my mother did, which is why…”

The ocarina he had still be holding up vanishes from his hand once more.

“I’ll be keeping this until you have learned how to love and respect music. So long…” Sagishi now holds up a small wooden instrument, shaped like a feather, just like the one he had descripted in the story. He grins and waves it before his lips and an ear grinding, headache inducing wail, sounds through the street, turning the heads of the passersby.

“Nope, still can’t do it.” He shrugs his shoulders, holding out the instrument to Fhiess. “Here. I’ll lend this to you. Practice with it. And when you can make it sing, like I remember it from my mother, I’ll give you back your ocarina.”

After a moment of thinking he adds. “But you know. Maybe if you can’t do it, you should ask yourself whether it is worth beating yourself up about failing at something you are not supposed to do, instead of looking to succeed at what you are truly good at. With that he pulls Fhiess sketchbook from his pocket and flips through it casually, nodding with appreciation, before returning it to his owner. “Talent can’t be forced.”

((Sleight of hand to steal the ocarina and the sketchbook: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

Fhiess is caught off guard when Sagishi nearly stumbles over him. His coming with him should have been expected though, he's always been around to cheer on his music playing despite his ineptitude at the skill.

He lets Sagishi walk with him. At this point, Fhiess is wandering aimlessly around lost in his thoughts and the story being told. Despite it being about a very personal moment in Sagishi's life, those words only lead Fhiess to thoughts about his own family and their expectations of him- what their talents were and what he decided to do instead.

With a voice filled with uncertainty, he speaks of his own upbringing, "My family never had much of a musical background.. my father was a sorcerer with arcane power in his blood, and my mother- well my mother mostly told stories about when she used to go on adventures; it's how she met my father in fact on a quest to recover an artifact. There was another friend she had, a man with a dog that she always described as being a great cartographer and a lute player. She said that the melodies played were so calming that even the whole forest seemed to drift to sleep."

Fhiess doesn't even try to take the ocarina back. In a way, he sees the thing as something that doesn't belong to him. He explains, "Sir Sagishi.. I've tried, but.. No matter how much I try to improve I can't make a good sound. I tried to spend time to build the bond you described but.. the ocarina won't share that bond with me. There must be something wrong with me that goes behind lack of practice. Maybe I'm cursed- maybe the ocarina is cursed."

Once he is given the strange learning instrument, he holds it up, turning it in his hands. Before he can attempt to use it, his sketch book is flipped open. He nearly drops the object scrambling to get his sketchbook back with a reddened face of embarrassment, "Ah, wait! How did you get that!?"

Once he gets his sketchbook back and is told he can't force talent, he shakes his head, "But this isn't about the music. I never wanted to beat myself up over a silly talent I wasn't proficient in. This is about what happened just now- the way I tried to market an imaginary figure to give false hope to the people. I.. I started to sound like a con man, a dishonest salesman. And then when I tried to play music to keep up the distraction for the group inside, it only created horror and agony." At this point his despair is seeping through, "Hogan always told us that we weren't just selling products, we were selling happiness and guarantees.. and I did neither, I only sold empty promises that make a good argument for hopelessness." At this point, a tear starts to form in an eye, but he wipes it up, "And I did it expertly. I had hoped with Barrow being the political hero I could redeem myself, but that moment had passed.."

Nezumi

Seeing the young man in so much distress pains Sagishi. He had hoped that his little speech would cheer him up, but apparently he only made matters worse. If he were in fox form, Sagishi's ears would have drooped. He steps closer and places a hand on Fhiess' shoulder.

"You really shouldn't look at it like that. First of all, your initial goal was to create a distraction and even if we ended up not needing it, if we HAD needed it. It would have been one hell of an distraction. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

Now, and for feeling like you lied to the people and if that makes you a con man... People always lie, you know? Everybody. For a myriad of reasons. Some reasons are good. Others... not so much. Most of them though, I think, are somewhere in the middle."

He scans their surroundings for a moment until he spots the kind of scene he had been looking for.

"See, that boy over there." He points at boy of nine, maybe 10, who can really tell with dwarfs, who appears to be in a heated discussion with one of the street vendors. The subject seemed to be a hard to find money pouch.

"The boy just "purchased" those two bags of groceries. You see? In front of his feet? He is now supposed to pay for them, but alas, he can't find his purse anywhere," Sagishi explains.

"He will continue not to find it, maybe he'll even throw in a sick or violent parent, depending on what he thinks will work best. It doesn't really matter, because this particular little boy doesn't care for the bags before him at all..." He nudges Fhiess to pay attention to the stall instead of the quarreling couple just in time as in quick succession a group of children swarmed over it from all directions. They vanished as quickly as they had appeared, so that no one besides Sagishi and Fhiess noticed And so the various items of fruit and vegetables finding their way into various pockets.

Sagishi clicked his tongue in admiration. "Fast little buggers! And clever, too. This is an excellent spot for this maneuver..." he trails off and seems to be lost in thoughts for a moment, before he returns his attention to Fhiess.

"Urchins in every city, lie and trick their way through life, every day. They have to, you know, very few people care for them and among those it is usually the criminal organizations that "take in" the biggest share. Which makes sense, as a lot of urchins come with a certain set of skills that are of interest for such organizations.

"The point I'm trying to make is this. There are in everyone's life situations where one has to lie. Now, for those children it is kind of a life or death kind of thing. I mean, you are not gonna argue, that they should just sit down and starve to death peacefully, just because society has passed them over, do you?"

Sagishi shrugs. "Now, before you say, that your situation is different, think for a moment. Why did you try to trick those people? I mean, you didn't mean them any direct harm, did you? You weren't trying to steal from them, well Ludwig kind of wanted to in a very complicated way, but that is not the point. Nothing you did, did any harm. Hell, had your little number be only a little more successful it might have been super useful towards our actual goal and I bet you, whatever amount of money I have left in my purse, if that had been the case, you'd now be su... moderately proud at yourself and not waste a single thought on whether or not it was right to lie in that situation."

"Besides." Sagishi sighs. "We're officially involved politics now. I see a lot more lies coming our way, you might as well get used to it."

For a moment it looks like the kitsune is done talking but then he seems to remember something. "Oh, and whatever DID you do to convince Barrow to come along nicely? The way he behaved since coming here I was worried we'd have to tie him up and drag him to the meeting."

The artist watches the street children trick the vendor, but in his head he can think of justifications of those actions. He answers, "I can think of more justifications for stealing some groceries than for what I did. All I got for it was embarrassing myself and leaving the people to be wary of the next person that could deliver hope and change for them. At least those children get to eat and laugh."

He sniffs, his depression having not been lifted, "All I was supposed to do was be a distraction. That was it! I got so carried away trying to do so with speeches and personality I didn't realize how over my head I was. If I could have just played a song on the ocarina instead, everything wouldn't have gone so badly."

When Sagishi explains how necessary it is to lie, and when it becomes apparent that he should be expected to do so, he suddenly asks, "Can I have my instrument back? I'm still going to have to give it back to Hogan in any case, and I want to keep it well guarded."

Nezumi

When it becomes clear that none of his words are able to even get through to the young man, Sagishi throws up his hands in frustration. "Oh, I give up..."

He rummages in his pocket and pulls out the ocarina. "Here. At least..." He pauses, then shakes his head. "Oh you know what, forget it. Let's just return to the inn and get some drinks."

Some battles, he figures, aren't worth fighting.

((I'm not gonna write a third motivational speech :p I'm obviously not good at it :D))

Fhiess takes the ocarina and nods.

He decidedly trails behind at a slower pace once they decide to return. He says to Sagishi as they walk, "As for how I got Barrow to come with us.. I sort of had to lie to him about what he was gonna do to help us-"

Strength check: 1D20 => (12) = 12

"Just like I lied to get this stupid thing back..!" He already has the instrument raised above him as he finishes his exclamation. He then throws the brittle clay instrument against the hard ground as hard as he possibly can to make it shatter.

The music he's tried playing has only caused unhappiness.

His attempts have only resulted in disappointment.

Fhiess doesn't want to be a musician. He never had the talent to be a sorcerer. Becoming a scholar was never his idea. With one move Fhiess attempts to destroy the idea of trying to become something he's not, destroying an expectation that burdens him.

Nezumi

Sagishi stares open mouthed from the young man to the instrument on the floor a couple of times before he finds his words again.

"Ok... I think I understand why you had to do that...but, please, let that be enough destruction of instruments for the day, ok? Because if you break my mother's feather, I will have to punch you."

Despite the threat, he smiles warmly at Fhiess.

"Let's have that drink now, shall we?"

Heavy breathing sets in as the elf fatigued from his own emotions tries to calm down after destroying the musical instrument. Almost immediately he apologizes, "I-I'm sorry, I just.." He kneels down to sort through the broken shards, the bland material the instrument is made from now visible beyond its painted and varnished exterior. He explains, "They'll fine me for this too if I don't clean up. That.. that reminds me, do you have a gold pi-"

Fhiess freezes for a moment. Something catches his eye. Among the rubbish is a small package tied with string, just slightly smaller than the ocarina was. He sets down the clay shards he picked up to take the package, then unravels it in his hands.

Upon viewing the parchment used to wrap the material and the small thing that was wrapped in it, genuine horror sets on Fhiess' face.

Well, you've found out why your ocarina hasn't been working. Sorry about leaving a surprise like this, it was the easiest way to gift this ring to you. Think of it as a promotion, movin' on up in the ranks. I'm sure you'll find more friends of mine out there in the world.

- H

Fhiess quickly grasps his mouth with one hand, his palm now blocking a stream of tears running down his face. The paper now held only by one hand collapses and allows the jewelry to freely drop to the ground. It is a ring crafted from red metal.

Nezumi

When Fhiess kneels down to clean up the broken ocarina pieces Sagishi bows down to assure him that there is nothing to be sorry about. He watches curious as the man discovers the letter but when he reads it after it dropped to the floor a frown plays on his face for a moment before he laughs.

"Looks like you've just been promoted from "honest salesman" to full member of a shady, secret, possibly criminal, organization. Congratulations!"

He pats the young on the shoulder and says jokingly, "If you need any lessons on how to be a crook... You know where to find me."

He picks up the ring and holds it out to Fhiess. "Seriously though. This might come in really handy. You better hold on to it."

Fhiess doesn't take the humor nearly as well. His being laughed at only causes him to break out into a full bawl with painful wailing.

He shoves Sagishi's hand with the ring away and pushes himself into a dash to get back to the inn as fast as possible to get away from all of the townspeople that can see him cry.

<This is still Satra's fault somehow>

Nezumi

Wondering whether he said something wrong Sagishi shakes his head at Fhiess' rushed departure. He picks up the ring and the letter and pockets them for save keeping. If Fhiess didn't want them, fine, but Sagishi wasn't one to throw away a useful tool when it presents itself so freely.

((I think that concludes that scene, unless Kittenmaster has some more surprises up his sleeves :D))

<Fhiess will probably take the ring later once he feels better, but right now he's like the guy from Star Wars Ep. 2 that has to go home and rethink his life.>

Mike M

Nick N
((Moving on then!))

The following morning, the Endowed gather once more in Oliff’s office. Over the course of the night, a large slate has been rolled into the chamber, and is currently covered with complicated diagrams illustrating the relationships and interactions of the various parts of the Forgerun government.

Barrow stands to one side--wearing a blue uniform that doesn’t quite button across his belly and a bull whip on his belt--as Oliff works his way through the party passing out bronze medallions.

“Congratulations,” he says, making some ceremonial gesture with his hand before them. “You are now all officially licensed lobbyists. Now brace yourselves, you’re about to get a crash course in Forgerun civics…”

Skill Test: Mr. Oliff Goes to Hammerfall--Get Oliff and Talbot’s legislation granting voting rights to Underdark refugees passed. Barrow will handle Chamber Lunus (but is not guaranteed, I’m rolling for it in the background), so that leaves the remaining 8. Remember, you only need two Chambers from each House to secure its vote, so technically you can still win with a minority

Oliff relates the following information beyond what Ludwig has already learned and imparted:

• Each Chamber has its own set of rules, referred to as that chamber’s Traditions. I’ll spell those out as they become applicable if necessary.
  • The executive power is vested in three Forge Lords, one from each House. They are not accessible at your level of participation.
  • You have a bribery fund of 5,000 gp available to you to spend as you see fit in support of securing the vote (but no buying yourself gear, obviously)
  • The houses and chambers:

• House of Ell: The most conservative wing of the government, their constituency consists primarily of isolationists. They stand for minimal contact with the outside world beyond commerce and do not think Forgerun should be so generous with its bequeathing of citizenship.
      • Chamber of Yarl: Dominated by artisans and guild members, they are primarily concerned with expanding their own wealth. Paradoxically, they frown upon taking bribes, as they feel short term benefit at the expense of long term profit to run counter to their best interests. Requires a 2/3rds majority to pass a measure.
      • Chamber of Narn: Functions as a government organ of the banking industry, they seek to put their finger on the scales of any legislation that might impede them. Views bribery as investment, both in the giving and receiving. Highly competitive in their quests to acquire sponsors and patronage, their votes can swing wildly. Requires simple majority to pass.
      • Chamber of Lain: Considers themselves to be the most prestigious and serious of chambers, and the guardians of Forgerun culture. Their Traditions are particularly strict and extend to maintaining a code of conduct outside the halls of government. Their preferred coinage of political capital is trading in positions of power as committee heads. The only chamber that requires a unanimous consent to pass anything.
    • House of Targus: A loose association of those in favor of expansionist policies, though the nature of those policies varies wildly between the constituent chambers, parties, and caucuses. While they may have the most numerical support, its broad coalition makes it hard to focus and consolidate their will as the House of Ell can.
      • Chamber of Farni: Features the highest representation of members of the armed forces, believes in maintaining a strong, if not overwhelming superior force that could conceivably “liberate” the people of Telmur and bring them under the aegis of Forgerun as civilians with limited voting rights. Eschews bribery, but will attempt extortion in the form of public shaming of opponents among other things. Requires a simple majority.
      • Chamber of Lunus: The prevailing sentiment of the Chamber of Lunus is that expansion of the Forgerun nation should be voluntary, not at the tip of the sword, and that all who come into the fold should be granted the same rights and privileges as those of Forgerun proper. Though there is an unspoken sentiment that this only applies to “the right sort of people,” there is a visible minority agitating that refugees from the Underdark should be granted full rights of citizenship. Hustlers for every vote, they trade horses and appeal to diplomacy frequently. Unique in that it only requires a plurality for a movement to pass.
      • Chamber of Ossc: Dominated by the lunatic fringe that splintered off from the dominant parties of the Chamber of Farni. The openly advocate for a new imperialism as the successors to the Hauntaur’s legacy where the rest of continent is subjugated to the enlightenment of Forgerun. They envision a system in which conquered localities can elect advocates to lobby the Gottermang, but hold no policy-making power. Only requires a simple majority, but they are so fervent that they regularly blow well past that mark.
    • House of Pandam: Alternately the swing vote or the unpredictable spoiler, depending on its composition for each term. The home for those caucuses and parties who cannot crack either of the other two Houses and those who seek to muck about with the political process for their own benefit and entertainment alike.
      • Chamber of Ance: The strongest chamber of the House, these are the advocates for the disadvantaged in Forgerun civilization. They believe that it is the responsibility of society as a whole to care of those less fortunate and are the foremost proponents of work programs, food distribution, and other social safety net programs. Frequently triangulates policy measures with the Chamber of Lunus due to the unreliability of its own House and lack of funds for bribery. Requires two thirds to pass a measure.
      • Chamber of Rios: Arose organically from a process in which the system of government is also the chief source of entertainment. Their Traditions ban the formation of parties or caucuses, so all of their members are individually elected, and tend to be comedians, lunatics, or people joining the government for a term for the sheer novelty of it all. Their elected Speaker is the only member with actual voting power, so while the Speaker may poll the Chamber on a given measure, they essentially rule by fiat until deposed in the next election.
      • Chamber of Mafun: Though they are not blatant about it, this chamber is the avenue by which the underside of Forgerun attempts to influence events. Bought and paid for, these are the representatives of organized crime and other illicit dealings. They specialize in obtaining votes through intimidation and violence where bribery fails. The members of this chamber are themselves not so receptive to bribery, but those that pull their strings can be bought accordingly.
You have roughly 24 hours to secure the vote.

Nezumi

((So, do you want me to post my questions to each chamber in one long post, or go through them one after the other in order of how relevant I think they are to the success of the mission... I know you have extensive notes :D))

<Hmm, so we need to appeal to each Chamber in some way? Fhiess might need that red ring if he is going to appeal to the Chamber of Mafun at some point.

Also, going to write up how Fhiess spends the prior night fairly soon.>

Mike M

Nick N
((So, do you want me to post my questions to each chamber in one long post, or go through them one after the other in order of how relevant I think they are to the success of the mission... I know you have extensive notes :D))

((Probably the second option))

Nezumi

Sagishi feels as if his head is spinning as he tries to bring some kind of order to the mess that is Hammerfall politics.

"So, just to summarize and see if I understood everything correctly. Chambers Lunus and Ancer are more or less save bet's right? Though I guess it would still useful to know if there are any particular parties or groups that could suddenly sway the fate against us. Better be save than sorry. Still, if we assume those two are save, it would also mean that we should probably focus on houses Pandam and Targus since in theory we only need to score an additional chamber in each to secure the vote. on first inspection, I think, the easiest chamber to "attack" so to speak, would probably be chamber Rios, with them at least we only need to worry about swaying one person." He turns to Oliff questioningly. "So, what can you tell me about the current Speaker of Chamber Rios?"

((House Ell sounds like a tough nut to crack, but the Yarl and Narn chambers have some promise being able to swing their votes.

House Targus presents a challenge itself, but the chamber of Farni could be swayed if our resident thief could find dirt on its members.

House Pandam sounds like the least difficult. Ance should be pretty doa le on the legislation alone, Rios might like a novelty like Ludwig, and Mafun will be more easily swayed if Fheiss feigns to wear his red ring.))

Nezumi

((House Ell sounds like a tough nut to crack, but the Yarl and Narn chambers have some promise being able to swing their votes.

House Targus presents a challenge itself, but the chamber of Farni could be swayed if our resident thief could find dirt on its members.

House Pandam sounds like the least difficult. Ance should be pretty doa le on the legislation alone, Rios might like a novelty like Ludwig, and Mafun will be more easily swayed if Fheiss feigns to wear his red ring.))Narn

((That's how I see it as well. Yael and Narn might swing if they get the right incentive since they are both profit oriented. Lain is probably a lost cause unless we can somehow come up with a way to convince them that giving voting rights to refugees is an old Forgerun tradition.))

Fhiess sits in a corner in his room. He neglects to even have a lamp turned on, the only light he has is moonlight making a thin window curtain glow faintly.

All of the stories Hogan had told, all of the great wisdom he shared.. it was a false hope, just a front to cover why Hogan's Exports is actually a successful and growing enterprise: it is a branch grown from a shadowy tree of influence and power.

But why him? Why send a simple artist and honest craftsman out? At the time Fhiess wouldn't have known the significance of the ring. At the time Hogan's friends with red rings would not have seemed like criminals. Perhaps it was just his being opportunist about the luck of attending the parade festival for the King, and quickly thinking of a way to help expand influence by sending a naive worker for the purpose.

Fhiess won't be able to think of any of Hogan's sayings and wise words without feeling sick now. They only worked to cheer up his friends because he believed in those words, but all this time those words didn't believe in him. In the end, Fhiess feels abandoned the most just trying to help.

With much of his career fleeting in his mind, his view of life being turned upside down, Fhiess can no longer pretend he is about being a good salesman or a charismatic figure. He is just a boy going through life again, a boy gifted with a greater quest.

He brings out the strange instrument. He wishes Sagishi told him what it was called.. But it was a mother's instrument. Even for all of the proof that Fhiess couldn't play a song to save him, or save others, the kitsune still believed even in the face of the impossible. Fhiess turns the instrument in his hands, wondering how it works.. what would he play?

His mother chuckles, sitting at the bed. "I always asked him if he could teach me to play a song. He promised to each how to play the lute, but that never came to happen. But his first lesson was to hum. Anybody can hum a tune." Fhiess begins slowly waving the mother's instrument to his lips to play his mother's hum.

Performance: 1D20+2+3 => (11 + 2 + 3) = 16

<I was planning on breaking up this post in parts but I need to catch up to everyone's posts first so I'll just post concurrent stuff in a new post>

Fhiess stands attentively with the others when presented with orders to try to win votes for the legislative process.

He suggests, speaking more directly than he normally does, "I can speak to the Chamber of Rios as well. I may have mishandled delivering a message to people, but I was still able to draw an audience none of the less, a skill crucial to entertainers."

"Speaking to the Chamber of Mafun may require.. a bit of thought." He is sure the others already know what he has in mind, but doesn't wish to say it in front of officials or present the ring openly. "It may be worth speaking to the Chamber of Lunus as well, after finding out their opinions on the matter in more detail."

Nezumi

((Go confident Fhiess!))

Sagishi nods approvingly at Fhiess and when he mentions house Mafun he smiles and winks at the young man for a brief second.

"Some more information on Chamber Farni might be useful as well, since they are probably our best shot in house Targus after Lunus. Ossc I think we should ignore for now."

"So who are the mayor players in Farni? And more importantly who are the ones waiting in the shadows to replace them? Who do they clash the most with? If they are all about scandals and shaming, some snooping around might indeed turn up something we might use..."

He thinks for a moment and shudders as a disgusting thought enters his mind. "There might also be people in there that...well...could be open to the notion of giving citizenship to the fled drows in order to justify an attack on the Underdark. Some kind of we need to liberate our citizens story. Are there any valuable resources in your homeland. Miss Talbot? Or could we believably make it look as if there are?"

Thosar adds to Nezumi's comments.
"Some in Farni may be led to see granting citizenship to refugees as a potential leverage to weaken other nations. Hammerfall gets potential information or skills from refugees they can use to further expand as well as giving a reason to capitulate early. Join now and gain voting rights, join later and be subjugated...

As Nezumi said, however, I think a bit of skulking and stealing secrets is in order as well. I have some ways to assist in that matter."

Fhiess nods, and says grimly, "With Telmur in turmoil, this is Hammerfall's biggest chance to become a much bigger power in relation." His mind shifts to the tiefling parade and the backlash it had caused among the audience, "And this could help Hammerfall become known as a welcoming city."

Ludwig hrrms and adds his thoughts to the others. "I agree, our main focus should be scoring an additional house in Pandam and Targus. We should each probably stop by one of the chambers there as part of our rounds. We won't have time to hit them all, so we should each focus on a handful of priorities."

Hearing Sagishi muse on how to sway Farni with an invasion plot, he gets a sudden idea. "That's a good move to make with a bunch of hawks for sure! If you really want to rile them up, you might want to try and convince them that a Drow kingdom is preparing a doomsday weapon capable of mass destruction down there. That'll get them real eager to go do a "defensive invasion," and they'll need all the extra citizens they can get for that."

"I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to follow up with the safe houses. On Mafun, I figure that's your forte Sagishi, but if you want an extra option, those underground types would probably find that gambling scheme I talked about earlier to be good motivation if you can prove that another chamber has been handled first."

"Let's see, as far as what I can do goes, I can swing by Rios and try to make use of people's tendency to gawk at me. Besides, if it's a whole house of people who view the government as a joke, I'm sure we'll get along fine! It sounds like there are plans brewing for most of the other swing chambers, so with those accounted for, I'll go talk to the chambers of Yarl and Narn. I feel like I have to. Like they'll see the market value behind fixing the vote and profiting off positive legislation. Beyond the obvious importance here and the benefit of hedging our bets, it could be the start of something beautiful..."

Ludwig trails off for a moment before snapping himself back to reality. "Anyway, if I have time after those three, I'll check back by Lunus and put any additional pressure that's needed there."

Nezumi

"I think it would be best if we work in groups or at least teams on every chamber. It will require some additional planning though, as we have to make every minute count. So far we have Ludwig going to Yarl, Narn and Rios. I think I might accompany him to the latter as I know a little about putting up a performance as well. House Mafun I fear falls to me as well, though I would like Fhiess to come along for that one. I think he might have some resources that might proof useful.

"Thosar already offered to help with Farni and I think Galen might also be good to have along there."

"Ludwig, be sure to to mention to the entertainers that more rightful citizens in the city are an even bigger audience," he suggests.

When Sagishi points out Fhiess' resources, he says, "It's true, I should go speak to the Chamber of Mafun as well. I have a much needed business perspective that may be helpful for negotiation."

With a smile, the scholar agrees with Sagishi. "Indeed. Actually, what I have in mind could help with all manner of skullduggery. During our time in Forgerun, I was able to record an invisibility spell. So long as you make no aggressive moves or cast spells, it will hide you from sight for up to an hour. Only works on one person at a time, though. I could look through any financial data or ledgers we find to see if we can find some bribery on the part of chamber members.

Beyond that I am unsure of what I could do to help directly. Research and support are my strengths here, I think. A guiding whisper or an examining eye for interesting details."

Nezumi

"Well, House lain is probably a lost cause, but maybe looking into their rules and traditions might turn something up that we might use. Whether we actually discover some weird precedent or maybe we can fabricate such a precedent. I don't know... that would probably involve some major forgery and I fear we don't have time for that. Still, knowing what wild arguments will be thrown against us might be useful nonetheless."

Keranos struggles to make sense of the labyrinth that is the Hammerfell political process. When he gets to the blurb about the Farni, he points a finger at it. "These Farni sound like my sort of people. Do they worship any particular god or gods?"

After receiving an answer, he keeps perusing, and stops again at Rios. "It sounds like in Rios, only a single person - this Speaker - decides how the entire chamber votes. Is this accurate? And if so, can we learn more about this person? Perhaps there is some way we could motivate him or her to do the right thing."

While relooking over the chambers, Fhiess suggests in an again strangely matter of factly matter, "Perhaps I can talk to the chamber of Narn as well after I speak with the chamber of Mafun. I can leverage Hogan's Exports as a sponsorship company for the voters interested in supporting the cause."

Mike M

Nick N
((I'll have a write up with answers either tonight or tomorrow, but I will say that none of the chambers are out of reach, though obviously some will be easier than others. Barrow will whip his own chamber, so don't worry about trying to get it through that one.))

((Good news! After being unable to check in here for a few days, I caught up with these exciting musical and political events yesterday! Then my exhausted state pulled me into much-needed sleep before Galen could do anything. I'm caught up again, though.

At this point, it's probably best Galen waits to speak before adding to the verbal chaos. There's plenty waiting for answers already.

As far as Lunus is concerned, what exactly is meant by "a visible minority agitating that refugees [..] should be granted full rights"? I could see "agitating that" being either for or against the notion, depending on which direction one wishes to take the idea of agitation.

And, while Galen wouldn't know the possibility, there could be a rather nasty backup plan for Rios...))

Nezumi

((

And, while Galen wouldn't know the possibility, there could be a rather nasty backup plan for Rios...))

((Sagishi would certainly entertain the idea of somehow attacking the Speaker of Chamber Rios shortly before the voting and slam him with a charm person, but the effect might not take long enough and he would remember it afterwards, though I have ideas for that as well :D))

Mike M

Nick N
((Good news! After being unable to check in here for a few days, I caught up with these exciting musical and political events yesterday! Then my exhausted state pulled me into much-needed sleep before Galen could do anything. I'm caught up again, though.

At this point, it's probably best Galen waits to speak before adding to the verbal chaos. There's plenty waiting for answers already.

As far as Lunus is concerned, what exactly is meant by "a visible minority agitating that refugees [..] should be granted full rights"? I could see "agitating that" being either for or against the notion, depending on which direction one wishes to take the idea of agitation.

((Agitating as in being in favor of. It's currently about a 52/48 split against before Barrow gets to work))

Mike M

Nick N
Oliff takes a leather folio off the desk and opens it to read from it. "The current Speaker of Rios is one Tomilarious Svift," he says. "Nominally, he is just an average citizen who happens to have been elevated to the position by his peers. He is affable, unassuming, and seemingly harbors no outward agenda."

The minister frowns slightly as he turns the page. "In actuality, we are almost entirely certain this is the public face of one Lionel Pawthorne, the pseudonym of the prolific satirist and editor in chief of Hammerfall's own subversive underground press, The Gadfly. He is also a cunning statesman who commands fanatical loyalty from members of his chamber, and they almost to a member act on his behalf despite their apparent lack of organization. He uses this as cover to conceal his moves, making them appear to originate from elsewhere or to be unrelated. The upside to all this is that whoever can get to him first is usually able to buy his vote, provided they can meet his price. Unfortunately, he’s so well insulated that no one has a damned inkling of what the hells he actually wants."

Tossing the folio back onto the desk, he swaps it for another one, far more slim than the previous one. “As far as the members of the Chamber of Farni are concerned, our opposition research hasn’t turned up anything more substantial than overdue payments to creditors for a few members. It only makes sense that any skeletons in their closets would be well-hidden, given their love of extortion and public humiliation of others. I believe most of them are probably mainstream followers of the faith of Moradin, so their lips will probably profess veneration of law and protection regardless of the contents of their hearts. Ironically, the best way to dig up dirt on any of them would probably be to approach other members of the chamber. I’m sure their oppo teams would be more than willing to turn over what they’ve got on their opposing parties if it was worth their while. One would have to take pains to conceal the fact that we were playing both sides against each other, however.”

At the question as to the resources of the Underdark, Talbot stops for a moment to contemplate. “There is no shortage of mineral wealth in the dominion of the Drow,” she muses. “But enough so that we might convince some it to be a worthwhile endeavor to invade? That’s doubtful. I fear that any we try to sway to this course would be more likely to imprison refugees as being potential security risks rather than grant us citizenship. Thosar’s idea might play well with Farni in the absence of blackmail material, however. Presenting the integration of the Eilistraeans into Forgerun as a template for their desired assimilation campaigns...”

Top Bottom