• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((
Thosar walks past Galen and Sagishi to use a message spell relaying his findings.

Given the timing, I was going going to say that Galen was likely to be on his way to the Chamber of Farni, but he could also be sitting in a hallway between the chambers while waiting to allow Thosar a bit more time before heading over. Either way, he's easy to find. I suppose you and Mike can determine his exact location.))

((I figure I can get started on Yarl while waiting for Fheiss to be available on Narn and Rios, so going to have him head that way.))

Ludwig makes his way towards the house of Ell while the others do their thing, most likely having to drink his shrinking potion to get in the building. Trotting through the various halls of the building, he makes his way to where the chamber of Yarl is located. He approaches the first person he finds that looks like a receptionist as if he's any usual lobbyist and says "Excuse me, I'm looking to speak with the members of Yarl on a legislative matter. Could you direct me towards the senior members of the chamber?"

Nezumi

Sagishi considers Fhiess' comment for a moment before answering.

"You know, I can see why you would feel betrayed, but... I don't know, you used to speak so fondly of those people before. Does this one lie, really erase all of your good memories? That seems... unnecessary cruel, mostly to yourself."

He shrugs.

"Anyway. I agree that we should keep the ring hidden for now. The Kin might not be the only party involved in the chamber and we should better know who the players are before showing our entire hand, so to speak."

((If Kittenmaster has nothing to add I think Sagishi and Fhiess will just proceed to the chamber.))

Fhiess does his best to back away from the subject, "It's.. it's hard to think about. I don't know how much I can trust those memories anymore. I just want to help the few friends I have that I can trust now."

He turns to head out to the chamber.

Mike M

Nick N
An errant chortle escapes Barns's mouth before he clears his throat and adopts a more serious expression. "The Underdark citizenship bill?" he asks. "Lad, the minority position is opposed, as is the majority. You may find a few bleeding hearts in our numbers who will break ranks, but I'm not one of them."

He shakes his bearded head and chuckles to himself again. "Did Oliff really send you here hoping to sway us? Truly?"

#

Sahalish looks at the token of Keranos's moon with a thoughtful look before giving a slight node and slipping it beneath her tunic to some interior pocket. "I'll see if I can't arrange a visitation, but I have a suspicion that he's going to be indisposed for a considerable length of time indeed. We have a lot of leeway with the way politics are conducted, but that just means that when the actual norms are broken, they are punished with particular severity."

Her eyes widen fractionally as an idea occurs to her. "I do have an in with our intelligence body," she says. "I can pass along your questions if that would suffice."

#

Ludwig finds the Chamber of Yarl to be richly appointed, with exquisitely carved sculptures and finely wrought furniture. Almost everything has some degree of gilding applied to it, giving the impression of a vaguely yellow cast to the white marble floors. The music of string instruments comes from someone unobserved, quiet and unobtrusive.

The receptionist gawks at the J'raffa for nearly a full minute before the wheels of his mind turn enough to process the request that has been made of him. "Just--just a moment," he stammers.

Behind him is a shelf mounted on the wall at a 45 degree angle to present its contents to the observer. A series of stones not unlike the one gifted to the Endowed by the rangers before the pursuit of the gnolls lay in a neat line on a backing of crushed velvet. Picking one up, he seemingly speaks to no one. "Yes, this is the front desk. You have a visitor requesting to see you. No, I don't believe he has an appointment, but-- I understand, sir. Yes, sir. But I still think it would be wise to take the time to meet, as this individual is... highly unique, sir. Yes. Yes. No. Understood."

He replaces the sending stone and favors Ludwig with a strained grin. "They'll be here momentarily, sir."

True to the receptionist's word, a pair of gnomes come strolling down the hallway, carrying on a heated discussion between the two of them. Aside from one of them sporting a beard, their features are otherwise identical.

Twins.

Upon sighting Ludwig, the bearded jabs the other with his elbow to silence him as they both crane their necks upward until it looks as though they may fall straight backwards.

"What, uh... What can we do for you?" shouts the beardless one.

#

Sagishi and Fhiess arrive at the chamber of Mafun to find it as silent as a tomb. At the front is a very bored-looking female dwarf who appears to be creating some sort of improvisational abstract art out of everyday items found on a desk. She looks up at the two visitors and yawns, resting her cheek in her hand as she leans forward to rest an elbow on the desk. "Yes?" she asks. "Can I help you?"

Fhiess is faced with the urge to adjust the arrangement of the objects on the counter to improve the composition of the scene as if it was meant to be the reference of a still life painting. He does his best to overcome being distracted as he answers, "Ah, yes. I am looking to arrange a meeting with members of the chambers here. Perhaps they would be interested in speaking with a representative of Hogan's Exports."

Keranos frowns slightly, but he is not surprised. He considers government's inefficiency to be one of it's worst qualities.

His demeanor toward Sahalish does not change, though. "Yes, it's just that I have a suspicion that Malador may himself have been under the influence of the malevolent crystal that your men found in his office. If I'm right, an unseen third party may still be at large. Could you perhaps ask your contact to direct his line of question toward exploring this possibility?"

The man's grin flashes in Keranos's mind. "Ask if he remembers a clown. Or anyone who goes by the name of Coulro. I can't say for certain that it was him, but just in the name of leaving no stone unturned?"

He thanks Sahalish for her time. Before leaving, he goes to the smashed remnants of the crystal, and if any remain, he attempts to take some of them, using piece of cloth to avoid touching it directly.

#####

Having finished his assignment far earlier than expected, Keranos returns to Oliff's office and recounts the events at the chamber of Ance.

"...And so, we can count on the Chamber of Ance to vote our way. However, there is the possibility that a malevolent force works against us behind the scenes. I brought the remnants of the crystal along with me; is there some sort of magical analysis available? Perhaps there is a wizard on call who can perform a Legend Lore on it?"

He studies the board from earlier to decide whether he should go visit another chamber.

((I'll give everyone else room to do their stuff before actually making a post about visiting another chamber because I don't want to monopolize the thread))

Having received word from Thosar, Galen heads over to their chosen political battlefield. Finding it rather barren, he advances immediately upon the bench implied to hold the gathered intelligence.

((Galen is currently tied up looking at whatever information Thosar has left in case there is anything of use. Should I figure Sagishi is with Fhiess at this exact time?))

"Bleeding heart or no, you want this bill to pass. The Drow covered by the citizenship bill are a valuable untapped resource. They have little if any allegiance to their homeland, considering it wants them all dead or worse, yet they also remain a veritable wealth of experience and talent. Consider what they had to do to escape the Underdark in the first place. Granting full citizenship to them would certainly would provide an path for them to help the city in whatever capacity they can, not just as a thanks but also because it would be their home.

Further, it would make for a useful template for the expansion of the nation. Those of other kingdoms in the path of Forgerun's expansion would be less motivated to fight it if they were given option to simply integrate."

Thosar pauses a moment in thought and says a small prayer to Bocob. "That said, I came here not to secure your vote. Since this house eschews monetary gifts in exchange for votes, I have come to request your assistance in swaying the majority. Specifically, I refer to your opposition teams' arsenal on the majority figures which I know you must have. I am sure I can arrange a worthwhile compensation for such information."

Diplomacy, using inspiration: 1D20+1D4-1 = [14]+[4]-1 = 17
1D20+1D4-1 = [18]+[1]-1 = 18
((wut))

With no backup for this house and the feeling that this first impression will sway the rest of the attempt to persuade the Yarl officials, Ludwig mutters a brief prayer to the free market to bless his efforts. He then looks down to the gnomes, meeting their gaze with a smile, and launches straight into his pitch. "My name's Ludwig, and like most of the guests I'd wager you see, I'm here to push for legislation. In this case, it's the controversial but market-friendly bill to expand citizenship to underdark citizens. I say market-friendly because diluting the meaning of citizenship reduces the number of individuals unable to fully dive into commerce, until one day such petty regulations may hopefully fall by the wayside."

"Anyway, I'm sure you all have heard enough about that measure already. I have my reasons for backing it, reasons I'd be glad to elaborate on should you want to take the time for a longer conversation. But ultimately, it is a bill I find pro- free market enough to use in a venture I'd like to propose. Bribery is a petty and disgusting practice, but directly benefiting off your own bills through speculation? I would like to think that is a different story. As I speak, I have associates, including Skullcracker, securing the passage of this bill through the houses of Targus and Pandam. As further assurance, I intend to speak with the chamber of Narn after I finish here for additional consideration. Essentially, you would be betting on the passage of the bill through a proxy- I volunteer, but I fully understand if you wish to use someone else. I am more concerned about getting this process working than profiting off of this particular run- on a bill your chamber is passing, with virtual certainty that it will pass as a whole. It is, for all dues and purposes, a significantly safer bet than investments in most companies."

"I don't expect you to commit to anything on the betting proposal until I bring you hard evidence that enough other chambers have explicitly said they'll pass it to make it a safe bet. For now, I simply wish to inquire into the potential interest of this chamber's populace should such assurances be granted, in addition to interest in passing the bill as a whole. May we speak further about the state of the chamber on these matters?"

Ludwig looks at the twins with anticipation, eagerly awaiting an answer.

((Cast bless on self for the persuade attempt))
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=169746]Pursuade: 1D20 + 4 + 1D4 = [17]+4+[2] = 23
[/url]

Mike M

Nick N
Having received word from Thosar, Galen heads over to their chosen political battlefield. Finding it rather barren, he advances immediately upon the bench implied to hold the gathered intelligence.

((Galen is currently tied up looking at whatever information Thosar has left in case there is anything of use. Should I figure Sagishi is with Fhiess at this exact time?))

((My understanding is that Sagishi and Fhiess are together, yes. Unless Nezumi wants to chime in otherwise.))

Mike M

Nick N
Fhiess & Sagishi

The young woman at the desk scoffs openly and returns to trying to place a paperweight on top of a precariously stacked pile of office instruments. "You really don't have any idea how this works, do you?" she says. "You don't make meetings with the ministers, you make meetings with... Well, you know."

With a clatter, everything falls into a pile on her desk, several items flying over the edge to clatter on the marble floor.

"I think they're taking lunch at their usual place, today. If you hurry, you might be able to catch them. They might even be willing to talk to you, if you play your cards right."

#

Keranos

Sahalish quirks an eyebrow. "A clown?" she asks. "Named Coulro, you say? I'll make sure that they ask, but--Well, that's just a very specific and unusual question. I'll let you know what they find out."

When the lord of thunder returns to the offices of Oliff to inquire about the possibility of having the malign crystal analyzed, he finds out that it's possible that one of the opposition research firms in the city might have staff on hand who could perform such a service, but probably at a not insignificant price.

#

Thosar

Barns's demeanor begins to cool, though he is no less polite for it. "You're new at this, I understand that," he sighs. "And you're a stranger to Forgerun in general and Hammerfall in particular besides. Free advice, lad, most folk in the Gottermang don't take especially kindly to having strangers dictate what they do or don't want. I can guarantee you our party's position on this is more well examined than any outsider would know. Not that I don't admire your spirit, no, no, never that."

Leaning forward, he interlocks his fingers on his desk and looks up into Thosar's eyes. "Now, put yourself in my position. What possible reason would I have to give you access to what leverage we have on the opposition party in order to sway them on a policy that my party opposes. Especially when, miracle of miracles, it's an issue where there isn't much daylight between our platforms on the matter?"

#

Ludwig

"Skullcracker?" echoes the bearded twin. "I thought he was dead."

"No, he wasn't dead," his clean-shaven doppelgänger says. "No, they ran him out of town for some reason or another."

"No, no, I remember now, he left town with... Who'd he leave town with?"

"Pretty sure he took a horse."

"No, you dunce, he eloped with someone."

"Still could have been a horse. You never know with those sketchy House of Targus types, next thing you'll know they'll be pushing for the right to marry your tankard of ale."

On unspoken cue, they both turn back towards Ludwig and look up at the towering paladin. "So you are proposing to place bets as our proxy that the bill will pass Targus and Pandam? And that you can guarantee this outcome, can you?" asks the bearded one.

"Granting citizenship to the refugees might expand the marketplace," he murmurs to himself, chin planted between thumb and forefinger. "If we remove the barriers locking them out of the job market and incentivize hiring, we could increase economic activity by an order of magnitude!"

Thosar nods, sitting back a bit. "The reason you have is that you stand to make a great deal of coin for your assistance with little evidence of your involvement. As your party already opposes the bill, the majority will will not suspect that you supplied us with information. Perhaps it was... purloined by someone else. Of course, should you refuse, I can always take my offer elsewhere. With Skullcracker himself having joined the cause, we need only a couple more houses to succeed."

((Galen will try to find somebody in the majority party who is more likely to support the bill, should Thosar's findings give any such indication. If that is unfeasible, he will be forced to find somebody else. Scientifically, this means picking the third name of a majority member on the list.

Thosar probably has the better approach.))

Fhiess had assumed that the ministers and the members of the organization were one and the same. Having no knowledge of what places to eat are popular he asks, "The usual place?"

Mike M

Nick N
Barns pointedly picks up a quill and turned his attention back to some paperwork on his desk. "Then take your offer elsewhere," he says. "I've no interest in helping you press the majority party into passing something we're opposed to."

He doesn't look up from his desk unless Thosar has anything more to say.

#

The receptionist of Chamber Mafun seems amused by Fhiess's cluelessness. "Boy, you really don't know how this works. Poor little puppy, they're going to eat you alive. The usual place is--hold on, it'll be better if I just draw you a map."

Seizing an ink well, quill, and a sheet of paper, she dashes out a map of a portion of Hammerfall with quick, straight lines. She's remarkably precise for not using any rulers or other tools to aide her. "I wanted to be an architect, but noooooo, father got me this job and told me I had to learn the family business..." she mutters as she works.

Holding the map before Fhiess, she points with the nib of her quill at a dotted line. "Just follow this, but be quick."

A red ring is visible on the third finger of the hand holding the map.

Mike M

Nick N
((Galen will try to find somebody in the majority party who is more likely to support the bill, should Thosar's findings give any such indication. If that is unfeasible, he will be forced to find somebody else. Scientifically, this means picking the third name of a majority member on the list.

Thosar probably has the better approach.))

((Do you want to wait for input from Thosar, or just go straight to whatever's behind for number three?))

Ludwig beams as the gnome twins seem on board with his proposal. "My thoughts exactly! I'll be glad to help with any checking of members to be done here if need be. Otherwise, I'll get on gathering proof of imminent passage in those other chambers to bring back here. So can I count on Yarl's approval at this time?"

((
Do you want to wait for input from Thosar, or just go straight to whatever's behind for number three?
If Thosar catches Galen before he makes it there, Galen will certainly hear what he has to say, but, in this case, he's not waiting when he has no indication when Thosar will show up or even that there may be a reason to wait.))

"That is very skilled sketching. I've had a father disapprove of my own career choices, but I can't say I regret my decisions."

As he takes the map, he quickly notices the ring on the finger. He says nothing of it, but it confirms his suspicions. He smiles and nods. He says to Sagishi, "We should hurry as suggested." He then departs to follow the dotted line.

Thosar leaves quietly, rubbing his temple as he walks along the hall. If he notices Galen in the chamber, he gives a quick message. "Don't bother trying to buy or convince any blackmail material from them, you're going to have to misrepresent your motive or have blackmail in hand. I'm going to look into issues that divide the chamber."

Once out of the chamber, Thosar searches the archives again for bills divisive for Farni.
investigation : 1D20+1D4+5 = [6]+[2]+5 = 13

Nezumi

When they arrive at the chamber, Sagishi gladly let's Fhiess take the lead. Once they have the map is drawn for them and Fhiess proposes to go to the "usual place" immediately, he nods in agreement and follows along.

((Eh actually now that I'm realizing that most of the party is going to visit more than one Chamber, I might as well continue on with my activities right now))

Keranos's ears perk up at mention of a wizard who could conceivably identify the crystal. "Given the danger that this crystal's former owner poses to the passage of this bill, surely the use of the bribery fund would be warranted in getting this crystal, and its owner, identified?" he beseeches Oliff.

Persuasion: [13] + 5 = 18

If Oliff concurs, Keranos will proceed immediately to the opposition research department and look for the man with the staff. If not, he will begrudgingly put that idea on the back burner and start asking around about how to get to the Chamber of Ossc.

With little else to go on at this point, Thosar returns to Oliff's office to see if anyone else has had more luck. Spotting Keranos in a chipper mood, he approaches. "Well, seems you e had more luck than myself, Keranos. Is house Ance on our side?"

As Oliff mulls over Keranos's request, the Storm God is pleased to see Thosar return.

"Well met," he greets the wizard. "As a matter of fact, I managed to single-handedly thwart a plot that would have turned the House of Ance against us. This crystal was being used to force a troubling number of representatives into unwilling servitude. It has since been neutralized, thanks to my superior force of will, but I suspect that the perpetrator was himself under the influence of another, as-yet-unseen antagonist. I am currently looking into courting a specialized wizard to do some sort of magical analysis that might tell us more about where the crystal came from and who it originally belonged to.

"Unless you have some sort of spell that might do the trick?"

Raising an eyebrow, the scholar sighs. "Keranos, deciphering the intricacies of magic sublimated within within a physical matrix involves more than just casting a spell, it's a lifetime of knowledge and study. That said, I believe I can help."

Accepting the crystal shard from Keranos, Thosar murmurs in low tones as he thoroughly examines the shard for traces of magic, attempting to tease out their original spell basis and possible origin. As this was a mind affecting, will bending item, he knows to look for enchantment magic, although there may be traces of other schools as well.

((Ritual casting Detect Magic and Identify on the crystal shard, knowledge arcana in case it helps.))
Arcana: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26

Mike M

Nick N
((Man, you'd think I'd learn about splitting the party...))

Ludwig:
The twin gnomes consult among themselves for a moment as Ludwig awaits their answer. "How quickly can we draft a white paper on this?" one asks.

"Not soon enough, but we can put together a presentation package with projections from the census data."

"That might work, that might work. Think you can deliver the majority party?"

"You imbecile, you're the majority leader! I'm the minority leader!"

"Wait, what? When did that happen?"

"The last election!"

"Confound it, why don't we just formalize a one party chamber and be done with it?"

"That's what I've been saying to you for six years!"

Again, on some unspoken cue they disengage and turn toward Ludwig. The bearded brother strokes his, well, beard. "I think you may rely on the support of our chamber. I guarantee nothing, but I think you can, yes."

#

Fhiess and Sagishi:
Taking the map in hand, Fhiess would notice that the girl has written what appears to be an address for someone named "Yanice" down in the corner. Following the directions on the map, however, takes them out of the government area and back onto the main thoroughfare of Hammerfall, down a few twists and turns and levels, and deposits them outside what appears to be a gentleman's club. A pale half-orc stands outside the door, lean and muscled in an exquisitely tailored suit. He raises a bushy eyebrows as the unusual pair approach.

"Do you have an invitation?" he asks. It's difficult to tell if he has a thick accent or it's his protruding lower teeth that just make it difficult for him to articulate Common.

#

Keranos and Thosar:
Galen doesn't have much luck in researching possible wedge issues that could be leveraged to any significant advantage over the voting body of Chamber Farni. They seem to mostly agree on the broad strokes, though they have a high propensity for bickering about the details, almost to the point of distraction. Nothing seems overly juicy, though.

Returning to Oliff's chamber, he finds the elder statesman in consultation with Keranos, who presents the scholar with a fragment of the malign crystal that had been used by Malador--and possibly on Malador--to influence the election. Taking the necessary precautions, he prepares the necessary ritual for identifying what manner of artifact Malador had been wielding.

Thosar:
It's difficult to say without having an intact specimen in hand, but near as you can tell this utilizes some sort of fiendishly clever recursive mind control spell. To hear Keranos describe it, you know that he was placed under a geas--a potent spell by any measure--and that was the was probably one of its lower rungs of effect. The pattern might be compared to a virus or a meme; the spell seemingly compels others to expose additional victims ad infinitum. Malador was doubtlessly deeply affected, but it wouldn't be surprising if there were additional levels above him. It may not even be a unique item.

It's almost entirely Enchantment magic, though you get traces of Evocation running through it. If you had more pieces, a Legend Lore spell might yield more details about its creation.

#

"This was a powerful item, some sort of recursive mind control spell placed in it. Frankly, the geas ability would be the least of your worries, you were lucky to not have been outright dominated. However this found its way into Hammerfall, I suspect it had taken hold of several individuals before Malador. If we want more details, we'll need more pieces and someone who can cast a Legend Lore spell. That sort of magic is a few steps beyond my ability yet."

He hands the crystal back to Keranos. "Not much else on it, other than I doubt this is unique."

((
Man, you'd think I'd learn about splitting the party...
You mean... always split the party?

Mike:
Galen doesn't have much luck in researching possible wedge issues that could be leveraged to any significant advantage over the voting body of Chamber Farni.
I figure this is a decent spot to mention that, whether or not he heard from Thosar, Galen's approach itself hasn't exactly changed. I think he's been mixed into Thosar's antics here, though; he could probably use a bit of information on the situation with his scientific method.
))

Keranos scoffs. "Perhaps one of a lesser mind would have been dominated. The God of Storms bends the knee to no one."

Thosar's explanation thwarts Keranos's next intended move, but he is not discouraged. "No doubt the rest of the shattered crystal is scattered among the waste receptacles of the Chamber of Ance as we speak. Our time would be better spent elsewhere."

He walks to the board that Oliff set up the night prior and gestures as he speaks. "By my measure, it seems that the Chambers of Lain and Ossc are as yet unaccounted for by our people. Lain seems unreasonably difficult to sway, given their unanimity requirement; would you care to accompany me to Ossc, and at least get the lay of the land?"

Thosar nods his head in agreement. "I'd be happy to. You may want to do most of the talking though. Brash as you may be you've got a certain youthful charm I lack. I will provide counsel, guidance, and insight where I can. Perhaps the idea of encouraging outside individuals to join Hammerfall will appeal to them. I also forsee the next attempt on someone else's part to influence you using their words or see through your plans will fail.

By the by, if we do wish to find more of these crystal shards, I have a spell to assist with that endeavor. It will provide the direction of any familiar object as long as it isn't protected by lead and is within 1000 feet."

((In this case, guidance is literally a Guidance spell and/or the assist action. Next time someone tries to use deception/diplomacy/insight/etc against Keranos or myself is gonna roll a 3.))

Thosar nods his head in agreement. "I'd be happy to. You may want to do most of the talking though. Brash as you may be you've got a certain youthful charm I lack. I will provide counsel, guidance, and insight where I can. Perhaps the idea of encouraging outside individuals to join Hammerfall will appeal to them. I also forsee the next attempt on someone else's part to influence you using their words or see through your plans will fail.

By the by, if we do wish to find more of these crystal shards, I have a spell to assist with that endeavor. It will provide the direction of any familiar object as long as it isn't protected by lead and is within 1000 feet."

((In this case, guidance is literally a Guidance spell and/or the assist action. Next time someone tries to use deception/diplomacy/insight/etc against Keranos or myself is gonna roll a 3.))

"Truly? One thousand feet is quite the distance! Let's check on that before we move toward Ossc. If any of the other chambers have been compromised by such foul magicks, it behooves us to know of it as soon as possible."

((It's the Locate Object spell, in case you need the full text.))

"We can focus on one chamber for now and then move to Ossc afterward. I can only use the spell a few times a day, so we'll need to be sparing."

While they are out in the city where they can talk among themselves without being easily heard by others, Fhiess suggests, "It could be that our friends pulling the strings of the chamber members might not be politicians, they just have influence to get what they want. A friendly chat may work better than talk of rigid policies alone."

Once they reach the marked destination, Fhiess admits, "Hrm, no. We arrived on short notice."

The elf thinks for a moment. If they wait on them to just leave, they would need to know what they look like. All he knows is that one of them may be the girl's father. Then it dawns on him that she was wearing the ring meaning that the group they're looking for may as well. He takes off his glove to reveal his own ring and says, "We were told we could find some friends of mine here. I just need to know if we've come to the right place."

Mike M

Nick N
((
You mean... always split the party?

Mike:
I figure this is a decent spot to mention that, whether or not he heard from Thosar, Galen's approach itself hasn't exactly changed. I think he's been mixed into Thosar's antics here, though; he could probably use a bit of information on the situation with his scientific method.
))

((D'oh, that was a typo. I meant Thosar couldn't find anything substantial. Derp. So what specifically do you want to do with going with the third name on the list of the Majority party? Go pay a visit, or just scope them out for a bit?))

((Thosar and Keranos going back to Ance to see if they can't locate more pieces of the crystal?))

((No, my vote is to go to a location that has the highest number of Chambers within a 1,000 foot radius and cast Locate Object to look for other mind control crystals (one fifth of a mile is pretty big so I'm hoping it's feasible to get at least 2 or 3 chambers included in the radius); if that doesn't hit anything then we'll just go to Ossc.

Thosar has the final say about Locate Object though, since he's the one with the spell. But going back to Ance is right out; digging through the trash is beneath the mighty God of Storms :p))

((
D'oh, that was a typo. I meant Thosar couldn't find anything substantial.
Just figured Galen might've been accidentally mixed in, causing his name to show up where you meant to specify Thosar, so it seemed like a good spot to jump to that.

So what specifically do you want to do with going with the third name on the list of the Majority party? Go pay a visit, or just scope them out for a bit?
Galen is looking to do a bit of both actually: he is scoping this member out -along with the chamber in general- with a visit. I've noticed Galen seems to be one of the less straightforward members of the party when it comes to these things...

But going back to Ance is right out; digging through the trash is beneath the mighty God of Storms :p
Galen would dig through the trash...))

((No, my vote is to go to a location that has the highest number of Chambers within a 1,000 foot radius and cast Locate Object to look for other mind control crystals (one fifth of a mile is pretty big so I'm hoping it's feasible to get at least 2 or 3 chambers included in the radius); if that doesn't hit anything then we'll just go to Ossc.

Thosar has the final say about Locate Object though, since he's the one with the spell. But going back to Ance is right out; digging through the trash is beneath the mighty God of Storms :p))
((It's worth a shot, spell lasts up to 10 minutes so we can wander.))

Mike M

Nick N
((With a 1000 foot radius, you'd be able to make a complete circuit of a chamber and get half of the neighboring chambers as well (each House's chambers are grouped together in a kind of clover shape). So at ten minutes a pop, it'd take two castings to scan an entire House.

No idea how many slots you want to spend on it, do you have specific houses or chambers to target?))

((Based on what we've seen, Farni is strongly opposed to the bill on both sides of their aisle. I vote for scanning Farni, Ossc, and Lunus in the House of Targus. As a bonus, we could check to see if Barrow is in danger this way))

((It'll work. I was leaning that way already.
Casting locate object enough times to cover House Targus.))

With the crystal in mind, Thosar takes out a small forked twig and paces around grounds of House Targus. With his gaze on the focus and ground near him, he gives little notice to anyone around him.

((
With his gaze on the focus and ground near him, he gives little notice to anyone around him.
And the dowsing rod directs his steps to collide with a young, lost water boy, dumping his entire 40 gallon/151 liter barrel all over the floor.

In the water, Thosar sees an iridescent trout.

---

Any word on how things seem to be faring for Galen? Option three was out to tea, wasn't he/she/it/catfish?))

Nezumi

((Just realized I hadn't answered to the latest scene yet.))

Sagishi notices the name scribbled in the corner the map and for a moment wonders whether it is some kind of codeword that they should use, but Fhiess has already taken the initiative and Sagishi decides to wait and see how things develop, afterall maybe the young dwarf back in the chamber was just so proud of his map that he signed it.

Mike M

Nick N
Sagishi and Fhiess
The doorman looks more than a little surprised at Fhiess flashing what the Endowed has learned to be the sign of the organized criminal element in the region, but he doesn't comment on it. Instead, he stands aside and says, "I hope you enjoy your visit today."

The inside of the club is dimly lit, with red alchemical lanterns set into alcoves above shallow pits in the floor, each of which contains a stone table and a cushion-covered bench seat carved into the stone itself running around the perimeter. The air is hazy with tobacco smoke and filled with the susurrus of quiet conversations occasionally punctuated by booming laughter. The occupants of the pits are predominantly male dwarfs, but there is one taller figure that stands out like a gilded flower in a field of stone.

Ambassador Avrice is here.

He stands at the largest of the pits at the far end of the space with minister Marthor from the previous day. They seem to be concluding some business with the occupants of the table, shaking hands and trading pleasantries as they stand to depart.

Turning, he sights the kitsune and young half-elf. A startled expression flickers over his face before his blandly genial diplomatic countenance reasserts itself.

#

Galen
Bringing his keen adventuring instincts to bear on the problem, Galen uses the most scientific methods available to determine which on the list of ministers provided by Thosar he should visit.

So he randomly picks the third one.

The third name on the majority party roll is one S. Blitha. When Galen drops into their office, he finds an elderly dwarven woman with large glasses that give her the vague appearance of an owl. At the ranger's entry, she looks up from her work with a quizzical expression on her face.

"Yes?" she asks. "Can I help you?"

#

Thosar and Keranos
Having uncovered the conspiracy in the Chamber of Ance, Thosar and Keranos go about seeing if they can detect any further artifacts such as the one Malador had been influenced by. Fearing that Barrow might be unwittingly walking into danger, the pair focus their initial search in the House of Targus, sweeping first one chamber then another to ensure that they have covered the entire area.

Their efforts don't turn up anything out of the ordinary, however. If another crystal is at play in Targus, it is hidden elsewhere. Or perhaps may even be mobile, given that Malador's took the form of an amulet.

<I thought "Yanice" was the name of someone we were supposed to look for at the club. Turns out I'm bad at reading comprehension, lol.>

The half-elf nods and says, "Thank you."

Soon after they first step into the crimson lit darkness of the establishment, Fhiess whispers, sharing a bit of excitement to Sagishi, "I can't believe that worked! That was like a page from a spy novel."

He recovers his composure, then notices the Ambassador taken aback by their arrival. Fhiess gives a smile and a nod from afar, and waits a moment to ensure that any prior business had concluded before approaching. Once he is nearby and there is a moment to speak, he welcomes himself, "Ah, Ambassador Avrice! It is good to see a familiar face. I was told a group was dining here that was willing to discuss matters concerning the city?"

((Anyone happen to remember a recent NPC that was wearing a conspicuous piece of jewelry, other than one of the mafia rings?))

Keranos appears patient at first as he follows Thosar around the grounds of Targus, but once it becomes clear that they're not going to find anything, he sighs heavily and with annoyance.

"Damn," he says. "Twenty minutes gone! Let's not waste any more time. Shall we?"

Alongside Thosar (presumably), Keranos marches to the entrance of the House of Ossc and looks for someone who might attend to visitors. Once (or if) he finds that person, he flashes his badge. "We are licensed lobbyists, and we would like to meet with the majority party leader as soon as possible. Could you please help us?"

With little fanfare, Thosar releases the spell and nods in agreement. "Little left here for us, let's go." The pair make their way to Ossc, with the scholar keeping apace next to Keranos.
((Guidance for +1d4 to Keranos' next skill check.))

Top Bottom