• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
Thosar:
You recall that, among what is known about the Drow, the predominant religion is the worship of Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders. Whoever the Underdark pair were, they almost certainly are not associated with the Eilistraen refugees.

Thosar's face darkens somewhat as the understanding. "It may indicate an alleigance or worship to Lolth, the Queen of Spiders. She is the principal goddess of Drow religion and has a rather nasty reputation to say the least. Unsurprisingly, I doubt either of them were affiliated with the Elistreans and they may indeed have been behind the spread of the Geas Crystal.

Then again, they also may not. Lolthians tend to be a deceptive bunch."

Nezumi

Sagishi nods.

"Yeah, the question would be whether she is simply a private contractor without any alliances or if she has an agenda on her own. At least it is clear how the Kin are able to play the political landscape here so well. Unless they themselves are being played without knowing it."

He ponders this for a moment, while looking at the card they had received.

"Maybe we should ask Mr. Oliff and Mrs. what's her name, if they know anything about this."

"Whoa whoa whoa! No need to panic!" Ludwig frantically tries to calm the halfling. "Your secretary panicked more than you at my appearance and swooned. She should be fine, but if she hit her head or anything, I'll heal her myself. To answer your other question, I'm a J'raffa. We come from Baglahm. I'm having to put my neck and head through the doorway because my body's too big to fit in here. Anyway, it's as my associate and friend here said. We're hear to discuss a matter of business and politics. He's going to go into the policy centric stuff, and I'm here to discuss a low-risk, high-return venture."

Mike M

Nick N
The Finance Committee Chairman digs a timepiece out of the breast pocket of his waistcoat and glances at it for a moment before snapping the lid shut and returning it to its place. "You have seven minutes to make your case. What, exactly, are you proposing?"

<It'd be too conspiculous if Fhiess cast a buffing spell now (unless I was allowed to do it retroactively), but he can say something to trigger Bardic Inspiration.

I'll be writing a post soon enough>

<It'd be too conspiculous if Fhiess cast a buffing spell now (unless I was allowed to do it retroactively), but he can say something to trigger Bardic Inspiration.

I'll be writing a post soon enough>
((I'm pretty sure the Aid action provides advantage on the target's rolls. Fheiss could therefore aid Ludwig's social roll by acting as the the hype half elf for Ludwig as well as use a bardic inspiration to boost him further.))

Not deterred by the time limit given, Fhiess smiles, "Ah, you are very kind setting aside so much of your time in your busy schedule."

He clears his throat, "As you know, there has been talk of legislation for improved rights of refugees from the Underdark. This has caught the interest of merchants like myself that see much potential in the city growing in this way. We were hoping to discuss more with the members of the chamber that are also interested."

Fhiess then opens his mouth to say something Hogan would, but... can't. Those inspiring words had lost all power ever since he had learned the truth about how his business grew successful.

<Oh wait Fhiess lost the ability to use non-music to Bardic Inspiration>

The time limit doesn't seem to phase the J'raffa, and he is content to let Fheiss launch into introducing the matter. Mostly, he's waiting for Fheiss to say something business-like and inspiring that he can riff off of to better effect. But the inspiration never happened.

As Fheiss seems to trail off, Ludwig gives him a vicious side eye before launching into his pitch to the chairman.

"Yes, we're pushing the Underdark citizenship bill you've no doubt heard of. It's a fairly financially friendly piece of legislation, which makes it a good proof of concept for this venture. You see, the current odds of it failing are 2:1. So if someone bets a substantial amount of gold on its passage and wins, they stand to make a tidy profit. I am here to say that if you get a proxy to bet on it and vote for its passage accordingly, winning the bet is guaranteed."

"I have already gotten Yarl on board with this betting scheme, taking care of House Ell should you add your support. My associates have earned the support of chambers of Ance and Mafun, meaning House Pandam, and again, with your support, the passage of the bill is a done deal. Oh, and feel free to verify this information however you'd like. I am more than willing to help in that regard however you please; I want to see much more of internal betting on legislation like this in the future."

"I should also mention that Lunus is being whipped in favor of the bill as we speak, my other associates are looking into a way to secure Ossc, and with Narn's power to sway Ance, the Chamber of Pandam could be secured too. We don't want to leave anything to chance, the whole appeal of this is a 100% guarantee to double your money."

Ludwig stretches for a moment after finishing his spiel. "Apologies, bending my neck like this is a bit uncomfortable. So, does this sound like a worthwhile venture to you? I will gladly be the proxy for the bet if one is needed, but I imagine the banks will have that covered. I will not be offended by someone else handling that."

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=171491]Persuasion: 1D20 + 4 = [16]+4 = 20
[/url]

FT83V8VGXK9PO6R.LARGE.jpg

Nezumi

((Does Thosar have an opinion on Sagishi's proposed course of action, otherwise he'll proceed to Oliff's office to talk to him about the encounter the just had.))

Mike M

Nick N
The Finance Chair takes a moment to consider Ludwig proposition, and is about to say something before he catches himself and instead inhales deeply.

"Observations," he says, holding his hand in front of him as he counts off his points on each individual finger. "One. Your proposal lacks any sort of long term risk assessment. Yes, passing the bill could be profitable in the short term, but we are more concerned with long-term stability. Injecting a huge quantity of eligible voters into the rolls will diminish our own representation and control, who is to say what sort of regulations we might become subjected to?

"Two. The Underdark refugees are not excluded from the markets; granting them citizenship does not appreciably increase our own revenue, as their presence and participation are already included in our estimates and projections.

"Three. If we are the lynch pin to your plan, why would I not simply deny you and have someone else vote against the bill as our proxy? It wouldn't pay out as much, true, but it would still turn a profit without running risk to the structure of the finance sector. Our constituency is the bedrock foundation of the economy, and we do not make idle gambles."

He looks from Ludwig to Fhiess and back. "As personally tempting as it may be to achieve maximized short term profits, our eye is always on the long game. Will there be anything else? You have..." He pulls out his timepiece again. "Three minutes remaining."

((You didn't meet his Persuasion DC, but you got close enough that I'll invoke my degrees of failure rule and let you take another pass at him with a different skill if you want))

((Also, presuming Galen and Keranos felt a disturbance in the Force and realize Thosar and Sagishi's Shady Deal didn't go through, are they paying for the flyers? Fliers? I don't know which is right.))

((
Fhiess is always useless when most needed
I think that may be about what Galen was feeling when the gnolls brought Ludwig down, just less Fhiess and more Galen.
Also, presuming Galen and Keranos felt a disturbance in the Force and realize Thosar and Sagishi's Shady Deal didn't go through, are they paying for the flyers? Fliers? I don't know which is right.
Galen doesn't feel a disturbence in the Force, but I do think Keranos is very much more likely to speak first than he is, even if Galen does have a proposition in mind.

I am also pretty sure both are correct, though the AP stylebook suggests "fliers" as the preferred spelling in this case.))

"You've got yourself a deal," says Keranos. He vigorously shakes the man's hand. He remains to provide any other necessary details for the job,and then returns to Oliff's office.

"Oliff. Miss Talbot. Allow me to introduce you to Mister Peton Billis, a bright up and comer who was chiefly responsible for concocting our plan to trick Ossc into voting with us. I promised him 50 gold for his trouble, as well as consideration for a position in your organization, either as a lobbyist or in an advisory capacity. He knows the chamber of Ossc like the back of his hand!"

Fhiess shakes his head, "But it could be an inevitability in the future that would require an adaptation."

He recalls something he heard before, almost automatically, "Once you've followed the money, you have to make the money follow the trends and changes among the people." Only afterward does he realize this was something Hogan had said.. but he just said it in a way that seemed in his own words in the heat of an argument. Even if it does not resonate with the Chair, Ludwig may find value in the words when it is his turn to speak. "It is not just important to play the long game, but to make sure the long game does not abandon you in turn."

Bardic Inspiration for Ludwig: 1d6 = 5

He thinks for a second.. Then turns to Ludwig to whisper something to him, unsure that the representative is ready to hear out the idea, "Do you think we can ask Oliff if it's possible to work out a way to ensure the legislation would not do much to interfere their financial system, as a sort of deal we could make with them?"

((That might be enough to act as an aid action?
<That is a good point actually. I rewrote what sounded like a persuasion to just be a suggestion to Ludwig instead, so it makes sense that it could work as an aid action.

What is the roll for aid another in 5e? Just a d20?>
Also, don't forget about strait up bribery. Barn loves a good bribe.))
<I'm not sure that would impress this guy unless we can figure out how to create long term profit with very little gold...>

((Aiding doesn't involve a roll on the part of the aid giver, that I know of. It just provides advantage for the person being aided.

Also, 2000 gold isn't small potatoes.))

((With the inspiration and aid, intimidating has a chance. If that fails, maybe Fheiss can squeeze in a bribe offer as they're leaving. But hopefully it doesn't fail.))

Ludwig gets the sense that he was very close to swaying the Finance Chair. If he had just had a little extra push, they would have won here. He has half a mind to put a hoof through Fheiss's skull, but then the half-elf chimes back in, and then leans in to offer advice. "I think I can work with that." He whispers back. "3 minutes isn't enough time to pitch a persuasive long term portfolio off of 2,000 gold, but your statement about inevitability and the future gave me an idea. I was too soft before."

Ludwig turns his gaze back towards the finance manager, his expressing going stern lifts his head up towards the ceiling to make him look up.

"Fine. Let's address your observations, back to front. One, I just got done explaining to you moments ago that there's a very real chance of us taking House Targus, with or without your house swaying Ance. Yes, we win right now if you jump on, but you go betting against its passage, you're risking the loss of everything you put in. You don't take idle gambles? Then you're not doing that."

With his first point done, he draws closer to the desk. "Two, you're damn right they get the privilege of participating in markets. I can't speak for my allies, but this isn't about bleeding heart nonsense for me. The smallest minority of all is the individual, all of this other nonsense is a questions of how the state wants to group people. Does your 'long term analysis' account for a greater influx of whatever you call underdark residents as a group? Does it account for the fact that as voters, they are liable to spend a vast amount of time fighting for civil rights that are denied to them, that they won't have the luxury of fucking with immoral regulations for ages, and that to do so, their presence would have to cause some major shift in the way houses are structured? Frankly, I am insulted that you think I, as an agent of the free market, would back this if I felt it had a serious risk of increasing regulatory burdens, even with the huge stakes involved in its passage."

As he approaches his last point, Ludwig's head has closed to over the Finance Chair's desk, his eyes boring holes into the halfling as he gets increasingly heated in his rebuttal. "Three OHHHH observation three. You want to talk about the future? Let's talk about the fucking future! You want to know why we really are trying to get this passed? That black spire you've no doubt heard about? It is SO not just a surface issue. The entity that brought that shit here is a gods damned world eater. It's devoured others, and if it's not stopped, it'll devour ours too. Who was there when it arrived? My associates and I. Who spoke to a man from another world that failed to stop it in his realm? I'm waiting, waiting... bingo! My associates and I! Once again, knock yourself out verifying what I say! So unless we charge this crystal of ours with the souls of the endowed, you can kiss Hammerfall goodbye!"

"And who has a bit if the soul we need in this city? Ding ding ding! That's right! A drowess that won't budge unless this measure passes! So you listen to what I'm saying and you listen closely, because if you don't account for this in these long-term projections of yours, there won't BE a Hammerfall to continue making a profit from in the long game. And if you have to accept that outcome, you might as well make money off of it!"

With that, Ludwig stomps one of his front hooves loud enough to reverberate from the other room. "And that, good sir, is three minutes. What's it going to be?"
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=171577]Intimidate: 1D20 + 9 = [13]+9 = 22
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=171578]Aid Advantage If Applicable: 1D20 + 9 = [4]+9 = 13
[/url]

((
"You've got yourself a deal," says Keranos. He vigorously shakes the man's hand. He remains to provide any other necessary details for the job,and then returns to Oliff's office.
Actually...))

Galen holds a hand out in front of Keranos. "Counteroffer." His voice is serious and unwavering. "If you can think of another press sure to be able to do this job in time, and at a similar cost to what you would charge if your presses were not already occupied, you can run the job through them, receive the funds to pay them, and also receive payment as if you had done the printing on unoccupied presses, so long as it is done well and in time. Does this work for you?"

((
((AP? AP? Son, does this thread look like journalism or a periodical? You be in Chi-Town!

Which doesn't actually say anything on the matter... So... yeah.))
Fair enough, I just used the first stylebook preference I could find to close it off. But aren't these fliers close enough to some form of periodical in Forgerun?))

Mike M

Nick N
Ludwig and Fhiess:
The Finance Chair blanches visibly as Ludwig unleashes his verbal assault, cowering before the strange creature that is so much larger than he is. Perhaps he really is as young as he seems, and whatever acumen he has for finances and politics doesn't quite translate to physical bravery. With a squeal, he scrambles over his fallen secretary and seizes the brass speaking trumpet mounted on the wall. "G-get me the Majority Leader!" he stammers into it.

After a few minutes, a baritone voice rumbles back out of the pipe, and the Finance Chair launches into a spiel about how in the course of pursuing his due diligence, he has discovered other factors that had not been previously accounted for in their previous analysis on the legislation. They go back and forth on this for a bit, but ultimately the Finance Chair displays an impressive capacity for bamboozling, throwing out all manner of technical-sounding terms and acronyms. The Majority Leader grows contemplative, but in the end agrees in a huff that his grasp of the intricacies of financial matters are not as firm as the young prodigy, and defers to the advice. He says he'll make amend the party's stance well before the vote tomorrow.

That accomplished, the halfling mounts the speaking trumpet back on the wall. He turns to Ludwig and gives what he must think is a smile, but looks more like a fear grimace as sweat trickles from his temple. "S-see?" he says. "All done! Please don't hurt me..."

#

Galen and Keranos:
The printer is just about to seal the deal with Keranos with a shake of the hand when Galen makes his counter offer. "That's a bit over complicated, don't you think?" he asks. "I've no idea what the work schedule looks like for any other presses in town, and they'd sure as hell wouldn't give me the wholesale rate for doing it. You can try and ask around if you want, but if we don't get a start on this right now, we're for sure not going to get it done in time."

((Victory from the jaws of defeat! And now Ludwig can take a crack at giving Fheiss a "get some confidence" lecture.))

Ludwig watches with some amazement as the young Halfling rapidly gets the chamber's stance reversed. The spectacle gives him some insight into how Barrow can be a successful lobbyist with a moniker like Skullcracker. With a smile, he says "Of course. I believe that concludes our business here. I wish you the best, and genuinely hope that you see strong profits and a lack of regulation as a result of our discussion today."

On the way out, Ludwig will check the secretary if she's still unconscious, and if she got injured at all from the swooning fall to the ground, will give her a lay on hands-infused boop with his snout to fix it.

Once out of the chamber, Ludwig looks to Fheiss and says "barring changes, that's victory for us! I'll go tell Yarl the good news so they can get their bets rolling."

After a few moments, his joy gives way to a look that is one part irritation and several parts concern. "That was a close call though. I thought it was over when you clammed up. If you hadn't found your nerve and gotten over what I assume is what you learned about Hogan when things got dicey and given me the idea to frighten him with the future, it probably would be."

"I've seen this happen with you before more than once now, where mental insecurities or problems get to you and keep you from doing what's well within your talents. I'm glad you got through it this time in the end, and I hope that's the start of a trend of you running into less problems like that. Fheiss, my people have a word for those who constantly let their mental baggage get in the way of living up to their full potential. Dhura'gar. I've seen what you can do in combat and in a negotiation room, so I know you have it in you to be no Dhura'gar. Just keep knowing that you have the talent to spread inspiration, and don't let angst or self-doubt get in the way of that."

When their talk is concluded, Ludwig will head to Yarl to let them know that two houses are ready to pass the legislation.

[Draconic translation for Dhura'gar:
little bitch
]

Fhiess smiles and nods, "I suppose our seven minutes have expired. We shall allow you to return to your duties."

Once they're outside, he explains, "I only said what Hogan would out of habit.. The argument was all my own, but.. I know fully that Hogan did not rely on the strength of his own wisdom to become a growing enterprise."

He takes a breath, "I will need to find a new way to inspire the team."

"Hey now, habit is something experts spend loads of time getting refined. That your body just up and drew from that means you've done something right."

"And you know, that's the thing," Ludwig says. "Hardly anyone gets to the top on their own. Not in the 'oh you owe society for the stability around you' bullshit statist of pigs will try to sell you of course, but most people have friends, family, and connections that boost their latent talents and set them on their path. Sure, you get the occasional tycoon of industry that yanks their bootstraps with such force that they change the world on their own, but there is no shame on being supported by others, so long as the state doesn't coerce that support at sword point. I think you can still use Hogan as a source of inspiration, but if you want to get away from him, think on what [Iyou[/I] would deem inspiring. And if that doesn't work, look to your friends and support structure, and pull inspiration from there."

"Ah, what I meant was.." He pauses, "what I meant was that it just seemed like Hogan made up all of these phrases and stories to hide that he started out as a goods trafficker for the Kin."

Keranos keeps a poker face when Galen attempts to wrangle the negotiation in their favor, but when it becomes clear that it won't work, he pipes up again.

"Well, we've no time to go galavanting around town in hopes of finding a better deal. Please accept our gold alongside our thanks."

He flashes a glance at Galen and telepathically speaks to him.

That was a good idea, but at this point we can't afford to put this off any longer. This arrangement will have to suffice.

"Ah. The good thing about inspiring people is that it can be total bullshit. It's the act of bringing inspiration that matters. I gotcha though, if you're not comfortable with that, find out what works for you. And again, if you struggle, you've got friends backing you, so believe in the friends that believe in you! Anyway, I'm off to Yarl, I'll see you back at the inn."

Fhiess decides to head back to the inn to see who is around to relay the news of success to. If anyone is there, he'll explain, "Other than being branded 'Dhura'gar', I think we've secured the vote at the Chamber of Narn with ease. It seems as though a prodigy child has a large influence on the banking system but Ludwig managed to make a strong enough case. Ludwig went ahead to the Chamber of Yarl after."

Nezumi

When they/he ((not sure if Thosar's came along)) arrive at Oliff's office Sagishi shows him the card they received and how they got it and what they encountered.

"The question we are asking ourselves is whether this could point to a larger involvement of the drow in Hammerfall politics. My friends have informed me that they uncovered a plot involving the use of mind controlling crystals. The two things might also be connected, even if we have yet to find proof of that."

((Thosar came along))
"In particular, the crystal had something of a recursive geas spell it could apply. Its initial victim would be forced to follow orders as well as induct more people under the item's spell. This obfuscates who exactly first used it, although it seems the purpose was to forcefully eliminate the bill."

((
He flashes a glance at Galen and telepathically speaks to him.

That was a good idea, but at this point we can't afford to put this off any longer. This arrangement will have to suffice.
Since, as I recall, it was ruled that responses to this are possible, Galen will do so.))

It appears so, Galen resonds. It seems we must take the chance.

Outwardly, though, Galen simply nods. "If there is any way we could help speed this up, I am sure we would be willing."

Mike M

Nick N
((Once Keranos and Galen wrap things up at the printing press, that pretty much sounds like game for securing the votes. Everyone regrouping at Oliff's?))

((If we're approaching the end of the day, I think we as a party should visit Barrow in Lunus to see how he's doing and whether we can help at all.

If I'm outvoted though, then that's fine and I'm good with regrouping at Oliff's))

((Seeing as Ludwig needed to use the reduce potion to make his case to a couple chamber, I think it'd be reasonable to purchase another to replace it using war chest funds. In the mean time, Thosar will join the others checking in on Barrow.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Barrow is with Oliff at this point anyway, so that works out.))

Once Keranos and Galen square away the deal with the printer with the assurance that Oliff's office will dispatch someone to deliver their funds, they turn back to rendezvous with the others.

Barrow looks exhausted, but pleased with himself, and proudly proclaims that he's cracked more noggins than he has in a dog's age, and that the Chamber Lunus vote on the matter is secure. It almost seems superfluous at this point, as the Endowed have nearly run the table on the other chambers: Yarl, Narn, Ance, and Mafun are listed alongside Lunus all on Oliff's slate as being in favor of the legislation, meaning the vote of two Houses is in their favor. Combined with the potential of swaying Ossc with the flyers commissioned by Galen and Keranos, they may even have a backup just in case one of the Chambers reneges on their deal.

Oliff is effervescent in his good humor, no doubt augmented by the distilled spirits he's drinking that smell faintly of mushrooms. He continually offers Talbot a taste, but seems to forget that she has declined only ten minutes later when he asks again. Talbot's reaction is more muted, but she can't seem to stop grinning at the prospect of her long-time goal about to be realized.

The warning of potential outside interference--well, more so than usual--into the process by person or persons unknown seems to sober Oliff up. “More than a might bit suspicious,” he says, tugging on his beard in an anxious nervous tic. “Praise be Moradin that the plan did not work in the end. And the one down in the lower levels was a worshipper of Lolth, was she?” He turns his eyes to Talbot. “Anyone you know?”

Talbot purses her lips. “No,” she replies. “I know not all the Drow refugees from the Underdark are Eilistrean--there are any number of reasons one would seek to escape the wrath of the Empire--but I do not believe there are a significant number of them. And I certainly don’t know any personally.”

Oliff leans forward, resting his elbows on his desk and lacing his fingers in front of his mouth. “Hm,” he muses. “We at least have the benefit of knowing that the crystal or crystals exist, and what their effects are. We might be able to sweep the city and suss them all out. If there’s one thing that’s likely to get unanimous support, it’s rooting out outside interference. Even Mafun might take a second look at this informant of theirs if they think she might be linked to this crystal nonsense.”

He reclines in his chair once more, a smile on his bearded face. “Let’s see, that’s 2,500 on the fliers, 270 on the potion for the tall one, and 50 for our fledgling asset in the chamber of Ossc.” Opening his desk, he pulls out a ledger and scribbles on it before tearing it out of the book and sliding it across the table.”

“That leaves us with just under 2,200 of our original bribery fund. I’d say you lot are entitled to half of that, considering the work you put in today. Present this voucher at the bank, and they’ll settle you up.”

As the celebration winds down, Vess bows out with her pair of Drow body guards. Oliff shoos everyone out of his office, pointing out that even with their lobbying effort complete, he still has much he must do on his end before morning rolls around.

It is surprisingly late when everyone finally leaves; the absence of the sun makes it difficult to gauge the passage of time in the constantly lit interior of the mountain, and the populus seems to be divided into multiple shifts so that the hustle and bustle of the town never really stops.

It’s past midnight by the time everyone returns to the inn, but Peaseblossom is still absent.

((1,100 to be split however you like. Also, everyone levels up!))

((Since I was slacking and didn’t actually publish updates, here’s a whole bunch of codex updates!))

Codex updates:

((Yay, wizard 4. 3rd level spell slots and ASI get. +2 intelligence.
Learned Spells: Minor Illusion, Scorching Ray, Hold Person
4+2 hit points.))
Thosar basks a bit in the glow of incoming victory, enjoying the drink and din of celebration. He stays up late into the night, where he discovers a hidden truth at the bottom of his last mug. When he wakes up in the morning, he has forgotten this ultimate knowledge of the universe but apparently did himself the favor of recording some thoughts in his spellbook in the meantime. New insights jump out at him despite having lost most of their meaning during the party.

((MikeM:
portent rolls
))
1D20 = [1] = 1, 1D20 = [2] = 2
Alone in a loft of immaculate white marble and fine silks covering every reclining surface, he lounges in contentment. Lazily gnawing on a piece of dried meat, he feels a presence behind him. Turning to catch the interloper, he spies nothing but the sky and a soft zephyr whispering on the curtains. Turning back to his idle eating he does not spot the dark figure looming behind him before it grabs and chokes him from behind with large, ropey arms.

He struggles fruitlessly, no purchase can be found on the smooth features of his attacker. With no one to call to, he slips into darkness, falling in a void of featureless black. Unaware of the passage of time, he eventually hears a distant noise from below him. They are voices. Growing louder but no more intelligible, they form together to make a chorus of screams and moans, an expression of anger, frustration, and regret.

<So I had just realized I never picked two skills for Expertise, a Bard skill which doubles my proficiency bonus for those skills. Oops! We can just pretend it's part of Fhiess' search for more confidence

Rolling "HP roll" : 1d8
Rolling 1d8
( 6 ) = 6
>

Top Bottom