• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

The Xbox supports 720p as upscale, if it's no upscale to it it won't mean anything.

A lot of people are hyping the jump from the Xbox to the Xbox 360 but it wasn't as big as you guys keep jumping on about.
The Xbox unlike the Wii can actually output non anamorphic 720p graphics just the same as the PS3 or 360 or any PC. No one is making this stuff up. There is no secret anti Nintendo agenda to rewrite videogame history against Nintendo's favour.

StuBurns

Banned
The Xbox supports 720p as upscale, if it's no upscale to it it won't mean anything.

A lot of people are hyping the jump from the Xbox to the Xbox 360 but it wasn't as big as you guys keep jumping on about.
I think it was big, but you also have to remember the time wasn't that big, the gap between Xbox and 360 was four years, if Xbox 3 launches next November, it'll be eight years.

Meelow

Banned
The Xbox unlike the Wii can actually output non anamorphic 720p graphics just the same as the PS3 or 360 or any PC. No one is making this stuff up. There is no secret anti Nintendo agenda to rewrite videogame history against Nintendo's favour.

So your saying the Xbox can do native 720p?, really?.

I think it was big, but you also have to remember the time wasn't that big, the gap between Xbox and 360 was four years, if Xbox 3 launches next November, it'll be eight years.

Yeah I 100% understand that, I'm just saying higher development costs will lead to what games looks amazing and what games looks like a Xbox 360 times 2.

Honest question, do people think what we saw from Wii U launch games is all the Wii U can do?.

The Xbox ran games in native 720p and 1080i...

So your pretty much saying the PS4 will have native 4k resolution?.

BlackJace

What? Yes, you did.

Wait, why would you take that out of context? You asked me what I thought the launch titles of the 720/PS4 launch titles. That's what that quote was responding to. I said I never argued that the ps4 and 720 wouldn't be noticeablely better than their predecessors down the line.

Come on that's not cool...

Yeah I 100% understand that, I'm just saying higher development costs will lead to what games looks amazing and what games looks like a Xbox 360 times 2.

Honest question, do people think what we saw from Wii U launch games is all the Wii U can do?.

Xbox can do native 720p, and 1080i.

TheD

The Detective

It can render games at 720P, Soul Calibur 2 supports it.

It was large, get real.
The fact that you are not taking into account the res games are being run at as a factor of how hard they are to run and how they look, shows you are way out of your depth.

AOC83

Banned
And I haven't really seen any titles that exceed the graphical top-tier of either console from the WiiU. Not like the PS2/Xbox leap, where the leap was clear.

That´s the core point here. Not only does the WiiU fail to provide a graphics leap after 6/7 years, but it doesn´t even manage to get on par with the creme de la creme the PS3/360 has to offer and that is just sad.

Meelow

Banned
That´s the core point here. Not only does the WiiU fail to provide a graphics leap after 6/7 years, but it doesn´t even manage to get on par with the creme de la creme the PS3/360 has to offer and that is just sad.

So your saying the Wii U games are on par with Wii? lol ok than, do you know the Wii U is new hardware which developers will figure out, or you don't know that?.

Also every Wii U game other than Tank Tank Tank and Wii Fit U look like high end PS3/360 games.

And nobody answered by question, do people really think the Wii U launch games are the best we will see?

StuBurns

Banned
Wait, why would you take that out of context? You asked me what I thought the launch titles of the 720/PS4 launch titles. That's what that quote was responding to. I said I never argued that the ps4 and 720 wouldn't be noticeablely better than their predecessors down the line.

I didn't, I thought that was the context of your leaving post. I thought you were saying that you didn't say the jump at launch will be noticeable. If you stand by that, fair enough.
Honest question, do people think what we saw from Wii U launch games is all the Wii U can do?
I think other than maybe a Zelda, pretty much yeah.

I think third parties are never going to care about it, I think even if they did it wouldn't see the gradual improvements the PS3 and 360 did because all that technology is already in place, and just being handed down to the U.

Robot Pants

More like the PeeU amIrite?

So your saying the Wii U games are on par with Wii? lol ok than, do you know the Wii U is new hardware which developers will figure out, or you don't know that?.

Also every Wii U game other than Tank Tank Tank and Wii Fit U look like high end PS3/360 games.

And nobody answered by question, do people really think the Wii U launch games are the best we will see?
??????????????????????????????????
iVo5w0RquCYTE.jpg

AOC83

Banned
So your saying the Wii U games are on par with Wii?

LOL. Where did i say that?

lol ok than, do you know the Wii U is new hardware which developers will figure out, or you don't know that?.

There is nothing about the WiiU hardware any semi decent developer couldn´t handle half asleep.

ROFL.

Meelow

Banned

KageMaru

There is a jump between Xbox and 360, but in the hands of competent developers that difference is not quite as pronounced as some of you are stating.

The problem is they are trying to spin it that the jump to HD was the only major difference between xbox and 360 launch games when that just isn't the truth at all. Regardless if they can see it, there is actual documentation that proves them wrong on many many levels ranging from post process effects, shaders, poly counts (devs went crazy with this early this gen), pixel count, and so on.

If they wanted to cherry pick a select few xbox games to support their opinion, they should have explained why they think these games/pics support their view. Because really, while those xbox games look great for last gen, I see low res textures, low res alphas, and just nothing comparable to what we got, even at launch.

*shrugs*

How do you get this at all from that statement?

Do you think high end BF3 and Crysis 2 blow away console games? I think it would help if we had a better idea what you consider noticeably better.

To be fair, even the Wii-U exclusives are ports. A dev here at GAF said ZombieU was originally a 360 game and Pikminn was a Wii game. There doesn't seem to be any real game that was developed to be a show piece title in a graphical sense. That fault lies on Nintendo IMO, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have had something more stunning at launch if they actually tried.

If games like Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Halo 4, Last of Us, Beyond, etc. impress you, then I can see Wii-U exclusives impressing just the same and more. However the problem is how standards change within the industry. So who knows what the impressions will be 2 years from now and we have two other systems out there.

Ok.

Other question. Why do you assume the PS4 and Xbox 720 launch titles will be amazing than?

Is it really that complicated? Wii U is in the same tier as ps3/360. PS4/720 will be in a higher tier, just like ps3/360 were on a completely different level from ps2/xbox.

Meelow

Banned
Because they´re going to be developed on an amazing hardware and not on a Wii 2.0.

Tell me what are the specs of the PS4/720?.

And I didn't know the Wii could do Zombi U graphics.

Is it really that complicated? Wii U is in the same tier as ps3/360. PS4/720 will be in a higher tier, just like ps3/360 were on a completely different level from ps2/xbox.

Tell me the Wii U specs?.

No like it can already show high end multiplats

Yep you got me, a Lego game doesn't show true next gen graphics...

If you honestly think that, your plain wrong.
You said every Wii U game except Wii Fit and Tank Tank Tank look like high end 360/PS3 games, I posted the shot to prove that you're absolutely wrong.

Reiko

Banned

No I'm telling you the Xbox actually ran games in native 720p and 1080i.

Enter The Matrix on Xbox does both.

StuBurns

Banned

You know that even if someone here knew the specs they couldn't post them. They're better, massively better, that's what everyone with the hardware is saying.

To be fair, even the Wii-U exclusives are ports. A dev here at GAF said ZombieU was originally a 360 game and Pikminn was a Wii game. There doesn't seem to be any real game that was developed to be a show piece title in a graphical sense. That fault lies on Nintendo IMO, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have had something more stunning at launch if they actually tried.

Why is this an excuse? PDZ and Kameo were late Xbox ports. And they were significantly ahead of anything on the Xbox.

Meelow

Banned
You know that even if someone here knew the specs they couldn't post them. They're better, massively better, that's what everyone with the hardware is saying.

I've been hearing.

Wii U = Dreamcast/PS2 while PS4/720 is Xbox/Wii.

Anyway, I'm done arguing, I guess we will see when we see better looking Wii U games and PS4/720 launch titles.

Pachinko

There is always an obvious leap when new consoles come out , I think it's moreso that people don't appreciate it until later in the systems life. The 360 was also plagued with that "the future of madden" video EA put out and it took them 5 years to get madden looking that good. The launch title was , like many other launch games just a 1280X720p 2xAA 30fps port of the xbox/ps2 version.

The problem was that most of us weren't PC owners, we had no concept of how big a hit increasing resolution can be on performance. Even now there's the outcry of ALL games on ps4/xbox3.0 being shit unless they support 1080p @ 60 fps with all the whizbang special effects turned up to 11. (direct x 11 that is :p )

No, I think what we'll get is that 1080 will be treated next gen like 720 was this generation- that is , many games will support it and many of those will look fantastic but likely they'll be locked at 30fps , others will lop some resolution off and maybe achieve 60fps. Some games will probably still stick with 1280X720- the fillrate increase for special effects may well be too high to ignore. Case in point- on my pc (2.8ghz i7 quad core with hypterthreading + 8gb of ram+ 1gb 5870X2) a newer game such as crysis 2 with all the effects turned up stutters away at 20-40 fps in 1080p, drop the resolution down to 720p though and suddenly it runs 30-45. That's a 50% framerate increase on the bottom and the bottom is what many people notice most. Also, thanks to some great scaling drivers the image quality difference is nearly negligible. I suspect the next wave of systems won't be much higher then what my current pc is due to cost/power/cooling concerns.

I anticipate that you will get cryengine 3.0 looking games at launch locked at 30fps in 1080p with minimal sacrifices made as compared to the pc versions. Under the hood the calculations being done are no doubt a "quantum leap" over what the 360 would do but to our eyes we may not appreciate the increase in fidelity until 2 or 3 years later.

Hindle

Banned
So how much of a leap can I expect then? Are we talking being able to see invididual blades of grass react to the player as we crawl through them.

Whatever they are, it's not enough to run ps3/360 games with superior performance. Even moderate PC's can crush these consoles.

KageMaru

Why is this an excuse? PDZ and Kameo were late Xbox ports. And they were significantly ahead of anything on the Xbox.

That's because the 360 was significantly ahead of the xbox. While the same is not true for the Wii-U, that doesn't mean it's not more powerful overall.

Let's put it this way. The jump with the PS360 was big enough that it allowed devs to create better looking games by reaching for the low hanging fruit. I think devs need to go a bit deeper into the hardware for games to look better on the Wii-U than what we have now.

AOC83

Banned

Just to be clear, i´m not saying that the WiiU is weaker than the old consoles. The problem with the launch titles is imo a mixture of a just barely stronger hardware and almost zero effort, especially on Nintendos side.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been hearing.

Anyway, I'm done arguing, I guess we will see when we see better looking Wii U games and PS4/720 launch titles.
I think a more apt comparison will most likely be 3DS vs Vita, but we shall see.

I've been hearing.

But the dreamcast had games that looked better than the N64 games.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So how much of a leap can I expect then? Are we talking being able to see invididual blades of grass react to the player as we crawl through them.
I dont think anyone here really knows. What I do is just look at high end PC games like Crysis 3, BF3 and 1313 and know that those are just the starting points.

KageMaru

On PC? Yes. Although I'm having a spot of trouble trying to figure out exactly what you're asking me.

Well there's a good chance that launch titles for the PS4/720 will be roughly around the level of high end PC games now. The same thing happened this gen as well if you think about it.

So if you think today's high end PC games are significantly better than today's console games, there's a chance that next gen launch games will look noticeably better as well.

We won't get that from any console next gen, that's a huge waste of resources. =p

Just to be clear, i´m not saying that the WiiU is weaker than the old consoles. The problem with the launch titles is imo a mixture of a just barely stronger hardware and almost zero effort, especially on Nintendos side.

Fair enough. I just think some people have an overly negative impression on the Wii-U when I'm sure it'll produce some stellar games.

Meelow

Banned
I think a more apt comparison will most likely be 3DS vs Vita, but we shall see.

Ok, the difference is smaller than the DS vs PSP.

But the dreamcast had games that looked better than the N64 games.

You don't get it do you?.

Way better than the WiiUs this much i can tell you.

Who´s talking about the Wii? I didn´t say anything about WiiU games looking like Wii games.

How do you know this though?.

What did you mean by Wii 2.0?.

Eideka

Banned
Well there's a good chance that launch titles for the PS4/720 will be roughly around the level of high end PC games now. The same thing happened this gen as well if you think about it.
As far as I can remember lauch games of 2005-2006 were superior to anything available on PC. PGR 3 looked incredible at the time. o_O

Hopefully it will happen again.

Top Bottom