• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

Meelow

Banned
Yeah I'm just going to go on the assumption that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and like a few other fans of Nintendo, you've had your head in the clouds of mushroom kingdom instead of keeping up with the relevance of technology.

I would suggest learning how the size of a console does matter before trying to have a conversation about technology.

I do know stuff though, if all the rumors are correct and the statements are made it means the PS4/720 might be 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U.

GameCube, it was very small and it was more powerful.

I do know stuff though, if all the rumors are correct it means the PS4/720 are 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U.

This actually isn't true.

It has a similar amount of open space as the PS2 did. It was just designed in an eclectic way. Building up instead of out.

I'm so happy someone realizes this. Posting that gif is really pointless since it's one impressive model.....and that's it. Those Shenmue tech demos are a perfect example to how these controlled environments do little to show the general capabilities of a system.

And you think her character model is as detailed when also rendering the city? I'm not sure about that specific video, but in other videos I've seen, the swap to lower LOD models was very apparent when there was more than one model in the scene.
She looked similar detailed in the gameplay scene on the train roof, where the engine also has to render the forest, the moving train, several side characters, player input, rain, lights and animated hair and clothing.

Of course it has a limit, but it definitely can render more then just one detailed face at the same time.

tkscz said:
but there is no real gameplay. It's like Heavy Rain.
Ignorant as always. Ignoring that Beyond actually has a fully dynamic non scripted physic engine you can play with. That's not just Heavy Rain.

Also, press X to jason. Just saying.
Nope, Cage already said you can only do this sort of thing once in your lifetime when asked if there will be press X to Jason in Beyond lol

My point was it was smaller.

I'm just telling you that argument means nothing when they built up instead of out.

Now if you want to argue that designing it that way allowed for more efficient cooling than the squat design of the PS2 you can, but calling it smaller is a misnomer.

Reiko

Banned
I do know stuff though, if all the rumors are correct and the statements are made it means the PS4/720 might be 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U.

Look at Star Wars 1313...

Does that look 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U?

KageMaru

I'm still waiting no these quotes you mentioned earlier.

Also as Thunder Monkey already pointed out, it's really not smaller, just designed in a different way. Plus to say the GC was more powerful than the ps2, and especially almost as powerful as the xbox, is far from the truth.

You're basing your assumptions on what you hope to be true, not what sounds logical in terms of expected performance.

She looked similar detailed in the gameplay scene on the train roof, where the engine also has to render the forest, the moving train, several side characters, player input, rain, lights and animated hair and clothing.

Of course it has a limit, but it definitely can render more then just one detailed face at the same time.

I give up, I don't think my point will ever get across. Also unless you've seen the presentation in person, using debug tools to freeze the scene and move in on the character, you can't really say how it compares to the model in the gif.

Edit:

Delusional? He just likes Nintendo's software more than other companies'. Nothing wrong with that.

To me he's just a person who has his mind already made up before we know anything. That's like saying I know I'll love PS4 software more than anything on the 720 or Wii-U. Sounds foolish if you ask me since we don't know what each company will offer.

Maybe delusional was harsh.....closed minded, that's probably a better description. Either way, people who look through tunnel vision aren't really the best types to have an open conversation with.

Meelow

Banned
I'm just telling you that argument means nothing when they built up instead of out.

Now if you want to argue that designing it that way allowed for more efficient cooling than the squat design of the PS2 you can, but calling it smaller is a misnomer.

I agree, but I'm just saying the size might not mean everything in the end.

Look at Star Wars 1313...

Does that look 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U?

I don't know maybe, we don't even know the Wii U's true power.

Okay... Do you really think Wii U has the horsepower to run Watch Dogs as it was shown at E3?
Not as it was shown at E3.

But with compromises? Yeah. I doubt there'd be an abundance of bokeh, and some of the lighting effects wouldn't translate. Maybe even model complexity. But considering it's supposedly coming to PS3/360... yeah.

tkscz

Okay... Do you really think Wii U has the horsepower to run Watch Dogs as it was shown at E3?

Can't say, we know very little about the system. For all we know it can. Remember, right now we're just getting ports. Notice most devs are aiming at the Wii U versions of games being on par with this gen. So far, the only thing I've seen on the WiiU that's better than this gen graphically, is the lighting in NintendoLand.

Am I the only one who didn't find this game impressive at all?

No, I didn't either. It isn't much better than what we saw with Crysis 2 DX11 version.

Reiko

Banned
I agree, but I'm just saying the size might not mean everything in the end.

I don't know maybe, we don't even know the Wii U's true power.

Why wasn't Batman Arkham City AA running in 60fps like it can on the PC at 720p? Unreal Engine 3 is no longer taxing on modern PCs.

Think about these things in regards to Wii U's power.

KageMaru

Can't say, we know very little about the system. For all we know it can. Remember, right now we're just getting ports. Notice most devs are aiming at the Wii U versions of games being on par with this gen. So far, the only thing I've seen on the WiiU that's better than this gen graphically, is the lighting in NintendoLand.

I can already tell you that Watch Dogs will not look like the E3 demo on the Wii-U. Though the same can likely be said for the PS4/720 as well (I'm not sure about the resolution, frame rate, etc. of the E3 demo).

Also, what's so special about the lighting in NintendoLand?

Meelow

Banned
I'm still waiting no these quotes you mentioned earlier.

Also as Thunder Monkey already pointed out, it's really not smaller, just designed in a different way. Plus to say the GC was more powerful than the ps2, and especially almost as powerful as the xbox, is far from the truth.

You're basing your assumptions on what you hope to be true, not what sounds logical in terms of expected performance.

I'll ask the person right now for the quote, if they are saying 100% the truth it seems the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 720 all use GPGPU, but I'll try to get everything it quote.

The GameCube was more powerful though, the specs proved it and the games proved it, I'd love to see a game on the PS2 that looked as good as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Also Resident Evil 4.

But aren't you hyping up the PS4 and Xbox 720 when we have no idea how powerful they can be?, for all we know they can be weaker than the Wii U, since it's 99.9% not going to happen like that it can be only little bit more powerful than the Wii U.

If people think Nintendo didn't make the Wii U more future proof than the Wii well it seems like it.

Why wasn't Batman Arkham City AA running in 60fps like it can on the PC at 720p? Unreal Engine 3 is no longer taxing on modern PCs.

The pictures that compared the Wii U to the PS3 of Batman showed the Wii U version looked better, and it's a 2011 port game with extra features, if people think Batman from the PS3/360 will show Wii U's true power than your wrong I guess.

I'm done though with this thread, how about we wait until we know what the Wii U specs are?, that goes to the PS4/720 as well.

tkscz

I can already tell you that Watch Dogs will not look like the E3 demo on the Wii-U. Though the same can likely be said for the PS4/720 as well (I'm not sure about the resolution, frame rate, etc. of the E3 demo).

Also, what's so special about the lighting in NintendoLand?

IMO that lighting was incredible. I just wish the video quality it was recorded with was better. That video looked like it was record in 240p.

Because the WiiU isn't anywhere close to a modern PC? There's other factors as well. It's crunching a lot more pixels than the PS3/360 versions of the game. It's rendering more polygons, more textures. Two screens rendering disparate 3D scenes in tandem.

WiiU was never going to keep pace with a PC.

I give up, I don't think my point will ever get across. Also unless you've seen the presentation in person, using debug tools to freeze the scene and move in on the character, you can't really say how it compares to the model in the gif.
What is your point then? The engine can render at least two faces of that quality + small closed environments or one face of that quality + relatively big environments + player input at the same time.

When I understand you correctly, you are saying you couldn't place a second character of that quality directly next to her and have a decent frame rate on a close up showing them both. Let me assure you, you can. We already saw behind the scenes footage of two main characters sitting directly next to each other and talking. We also saw footage of 4 main characters sitting at the same table.

So it's pretty obvious that the engine can handle it. And yes, I saw the demo in person and it looked fairly impressive.

Nizz

If this thread is an indication about how the threads are going to be when the new consoles arrive. Ow :(
This is the first time I'm on GAF as there's a coming shift in console generations since my account was approved in 07. The 360 and PS3 had been out for a bit already. I hope things don't go too batshit insane around here, lol

I'm excited as hell that these devs are saying the jump in next gen will be a good one. I think it's probably a sure thing but the thought that the PS4 should be easier to develop for and will no longer get weaker ports from third parties makes me happy.

Reiko

Banned
This is the first time I'm on GAF as there's a coming shift in console generations since my account was approved in 07. The 360 and PS3 had been out for a bit already. I hope things don't go too batshit insane around here, lol

I'm excited as hell that these devs are saying the jump in next gen will be a good one. I think it's probably a sure thing but the thought that the PS4 should be easier to develop for and will no longer get weaker ports from third parties makes me happy.

So Sony finally went back to PS1 style development? About damn time.

XenodudeX

I hope they try to keep costs down somehow. I don't think people will like spending $400-500 on a console and $70 for just one video game.

Reiko

Banned
I hope they try to keep costs down somehow. I don't think people will like spending $400-500 on a console and $70 for just one video game.

Easier development tools like Unreal Engine 4. Making the lighting all realtime is less expensive and time consuming than baking the lighting into the environment like in Uncharted 3/Gears3.

The future looks bright IMO

To me he's just a person who has his mind already made up before we know anything. That's like saying I know I'll love PS4 software more than anything on the 720 or Wii-U. Sounds foolish if you ask me since we don't know what each company will offer.

Maybe delusional was harsh.....closed minded, that's probably a better description. Either way, people who look through tunnel vision aren't really the best types to have an open conversation with.

I suppose that's a fair assessment, but I don't think that's too outrageous on his part. I now have access to an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and there aren't many games that interest me on either platform. I know that it's just my tastes, though, and not that the games are necessarily bad. Anyhow, I think, judging by my previous experience, I can expect to enjoy Nintendo's software more this generation as well.

But speaking of hardware, it seems that there is a lot of disagreement on whether or not a game looks impressive. I think this speaks volumes. I'm very interested on seeing the other next generation consoles. I really want to see how good games can look, but I don't expect huge leaps in visual fidelity. I'm probably blind, but games like Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs didn't really have that same impact as previous console generations. Don't get me wrong, I love the way these games look and have no problems whatsoever if that's "all" we get. It just didn't blow my mind.

Achieving CG quality visuals in real time would be fantastic (Agni's Philosophy?), and if Microsoft and Sony manage to do so, kudos to them. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

ekim

Why ? It's not like you have to feel responsible for the reactions and the wonky debates.

But I do. To be honest the debate is going rather "friendly". Do this on any other gaming board... I really like to know how next years E3 will be handled here. "PS4 - Dead on arrival" :D

KageMaru

I'll ask the person right now for the quote, if they are saying 100% the truth it seems the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 720 all use GPGPU, but I'll try to get everything it quote.

That would be great, I appreciate it.

The GameCube was more powerful though, the specs proved it and the games proved it, I'd love to see a game on the PS2 that looked as good as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

It was more powerful in certain aspects while the ps2 was more powerful in other aspects. Looking at the specs alone doesn't give you the whole picture in regards to bottlenecks, efficiency, etc.

Also I'd say GoW2 and GT4 easily match anything on the GC. Heck, the xbox is unquestionably more powerful than the PS2, but GT4 looks better than Forza. So software doesn't always tell the whole story about a system's performance. Other factors like rendering techniques used, art, studio resources, priorities, etc. all make a huge difference to how a game can look in the end.

Also Resident Evil 4.

It's a port. Do you really think GoW2 would port over to the GC untouched?

But aren't you hyping up the PS4 and Xbox 720 when we have no idea how powerful they can be?, for all we know they can be weaker than the Wii U, since it's 99.9% not going to happen like that it can be only little bit more powerful than the Wii U.

So since we know the PS4/720 aren't going to be weaker than the Wii-U, the only other conclusion you see is that "it can be only little bit more powerful than the Wii U". Am I getting that right?

Also yes, I do expect the PS4 and 720 to be more powerful than the Wii-U because it makes absolutely no sense to spend all that money on R&D, marketing, launch, etc. on systems that are only marginally more powerful than their current offerings. It defies all logic to invest in something that wouldn't give you a noticeable improvement. Let's put it this way, we won't have to question if the PS4 or 720 are more powerful than the PS360 when we see early games running on those systems. ;)

If people think Nintendo didn't make the Wii U more future proof than the Wii well it seems like it.

No, they did make it more future proof. Instead of being two generations behind, they are no only one generation behind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the people who believe the Wii-U is more powerful than current gen systems and in no way am I trolling the system as I wish Nintendo all the success in the world. However, I don't think you have a realistic view of how things will likely turn out.

IMO that lighting was incredible. I just wish the video quality it was recorded with was better. That video looked like it was record in 240p.

What about the lighting though is what I'm asking. I don't see anything beyond current gen.

Edit:

What is your point then?

What I've been saying is I don't see the point in posting the gif or how it relates to what's expected of next gen consoles.

I'm not trying to say the engine can't render more than one character at a time at that level, I'm saying the gif itself is not an accurate representation to how an engine performs (in all respects) due to the fact that it's only showing that one model (specifically in the gif) which in reality tells us little. I'm looking forward to the game as anyone else, but I don't see how posting the gif fits the topic at hand.

And yes, I saw the demo in person and it looked fairly impressive.

Well then I'm jealous lol.

1. Devs are still getting used to the hardware
2. The Wii U version is graphically superior. It's not the exact same game. There's extra objects/etc in the environments

Meelow

Banned
It was more powerful in certain aspects while the ps2 was more powerful in other aspects. Looking at the specs alone doesn't give you the whole picture in regards to bottlenecks, efficiency, etc.

Also I'd say GoW2 and GT4 easily match anything on the GC. Heck, the xbox is unquestionably more powerful than the PS2, but GT4 looks better than Forza. So software doesn't always tell the whole story about a system's performance. Other factors like rendering techniques used, art, studio resources, priorities, etc. all make a huge difference to how a game can look in the end.

It's a port. Do you really think GoW2 would port over to the GC untouched?

So since we know the PS4/720 aren't going to be weaker than the Wii-U, the only other conclusion you see is that "it can be only little bit more powerful than the Wii U". Am I getting that right?

Also yes, I do expect the PS4 and 720 to be more powerful than the Wii-U because it makes absolutely no sense to spend all that money on R&D, marketing, launch, etc. on systems that are only marginally more powerful than their current offerings. It defies all logic to invest in something that wouldn't give you a noticeable improvement. Let's put it this way, we won't have to question if the PS4 or 720 are more powerful than the PS360 when we see early games running on those systems. ;)

No, they did make it more future proof. Instead of being two generations behind, they are no only one generation behind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the people who believe the Wii-U is more powerful than current gen systems and in no way am I trolling the system as I wish Nintendo all the success in the world. However, I don't think you have a realistic view of how things will likely turn out.

The GameCube was more powerful than the Xbox in certain aspects as well.

The thing is though, those are just 2 games, most games on the PS2 didn't look better than the GameCube other than a few games, it some games the GameCube looked better than the Xbox as well.

RE4 looked worse on the PS2 though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

Of course the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be more powerful than the Wii U, but it's definitely not going to be Wii vs PS3/360 all over again, some people say it's

Wii U = low end PC, PS4 = medium end PC and Xbox 720 = high end PC

or

Wii U = Dreamcast/PS2

Xbox 720/PS4 = Xbox/Wii

Edit: NOO I BUMPED THIS THREAD lol.

There will be a quantum leap in female ass representation, tight pants will really shine on next gen consoles.

EftnX.jpg

Pixels

Are there any articles out there with devs estimating next gen costs? I could see next gen Final Fantasy and the like surpassing big Hollywood movies like The Avengers in cost.

Top Bottom