• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember PS3 hacker GeoHot? Now he works for Google

Apparently just using the word hacker brings the idiots out in full force. Completely oblivious to the fact that every product they own was made safe by hackers.

This thread is weird. A lot of people are confusing him for someone else. He cracks hardware, guys.

Given the way hacking is typically depicted in media its no wonder so many people are misinformed.

I played Uplink, that's how it works right

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I remember when he had a meeting with Sony and walked through their office dropping food on the floor.

Seemed like a bit of a prat to me.

Is that your clinical opinion?

EDIT: Sorry Pixel Beak I meant to quote the post above yours stating he had asperger's.

WalkMan

Banned
Why is getting a job selling out?

I know white hat hackers that would love to work for large corporations or government

Looks like those white hat hackers simply aren't good then. If you're good enough, corporations/government comes to you - and the bar for being good is actually low.

Didnt he work for Facebook after the Sony stuff but walked after a few weeks? Hopefully he will stick with Google a bit longer.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the next gen systems. People are probably working on it and someone will eventually get in. Maybe they will be scared off from going public. Maybe the wide range of cheap and easily hackable android boxes makes console homebrew even more pointless. The PS3 hacking / homebrew scene was a embarrassing mess.

Still surprised Sony was able to lock the system back down as effectively as they did. That was super impressive from a company that programmed the OS clock wrong and had a network that had a firewall that offered the same security as wet toilet paper/

Mr-Joker

Banned
Still surprised Sony was able to lock the system back down as effectively as they did. That was super impressive from a company that programmed the OS clock wrong and had a network that had a firewall that offered the same security as wet toilet paper/

Didn't the PS3 get eventually hacked because someone sent a PS3 for repair and Sony fixed it and sent it back but forgot to take it out of debug mode?

Didn't the PS3 get eventually hacked because someone sent a PS3 for repair and Sony fixed it and sent it back but forgot to take it out of debug mode?

Maybe?

I think I remember someone snook out one of those USB sticks that activate Debug mode from a Sony repair place and that was used as a base for those USB sticks that let you run pirated games.

Didnt someone get a Wii sent back from Nintendo that still had a disc in the drive that activated the debug stuff as well?

That PS3 / PSN stuff was nuts. I would guess you could probably date the origin of this "good guy Sony" act they currently have to the following E3 when Jack Tretton made that apology.

vypek

Looks like those white hat hackers simply aren't good then. If you're good enough, corporations/government comes to you - and the bar for being good is actually low.

Not all white hat hackers bring large amount of attention to themselves. Applying to jobs still works. Not everyone who is recruited to government or corporations are chased to be brought. A relatively small number of white hats are seen on a large scale. Much work is just done by going into the private sector. What you write makes it seem like you are thinking of black hats and the way hackers are more portrayed in media. Companies and government dont chase after hackers to join their rank that often.

A guy who finished his degree at my university secured a job with a certain government agency because he was deemed good enough. But they didnt start by pursuing him. He worked as intern for them.

Dremark

Banned
I thought he got busted for drug possession, although iirc it was majiunana and a while back so maybe that's all settled now.

The End

Oh hey, it's Geohot.

He went to my high school (AAST, now part of the Bergen County Academies in Hackensack, NJ) a few years behind me. His nickname comes from the default username convention they used: GEOrge HOTz. Mine was way less cool as a hacker nickname though.

jimi_dini

To those of you hatin' on this guy: he's not the one that hacked PSN. I thought he was at first.

Yeah, he did not hack PSN. He was just effectively responsible for Linux getting removed from PS3s, because that dumb shit thought hacking the PS3 via Linux was a great idea.

Still surprised Sony was able to lock the system back down as effectively as they did.

Except for stuff like that Dark Souls mega mule hacked saved game. Sadly.

Top Bottom