• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember PS3 hacker GeoHot? Now he works for Google

bumpkin

I still perceive his "work" with the classic quote from the first Jurassic Park movie...

"If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it."

It's not like he figured it all out on his own. That makes it a lot less impressive.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I remember them happening at about the same time. In fact, didn't anonymous hack PSN in retaliation against Sony's persecution against GeoHot? The guy doesn't deserve hate, but I do think it's understandable to confuse him with the PSN, hackers.

Yes they happened around the same time and they were kind of correlated

He hacked the PS3 like a year before the PSN attacks. The attacks also happened after Sony settled their lawsuit with geohot.

I still perceive his "work" with the classic quote from the first Jurassic Park movie...

"If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it."

It's not like he figured it all out on his own. That makes it a lot less impressive.

Well duh, I doubt every hacker out there learned how to do what they do entirely through intuition. It doesn't change the fact that he clearly has a lot of useful experience in the field.

His reaction to the situation if you ask me was pretty bad. The whole YouTube videos etc just screamed for attention.

Doing what he did in the first place was fine, his reaction to the fallout was not so good.

He was getting sued. And if I remember correctly the case was big deal because its verdict was capable of setting up a precedent for what consumers could do with the electronics they own, so the dude wanted to bring a lot of attention to his cause.

It puzzles me when people are happy when hackers get a job.

Hackers are usually responsible for other people being laid off.

They are selfish dicks who don't know what their actions can cause for regular hard working people.

Mr-Joker

Banned
One day the Hollywood will make a movie about him.

I would laugh if Sony pictures ends up making the movie.

They are selfish dicks who don't know what their actions can cause for regular hard working people.

If a hacker manages to hack your system, then chances are that they know more about your security system than you do and having the hackers on your side is better than fighting them.

I...what
There are many different types of hackers. Not all of them are trying to do that. Most of them either want you to be able to do what you want with your hardware (Geohot) or want to improve security. Are you just assuming they're all trying to steal shit?

vypek

You are thinking of cracking, not hacking. Seems people have been trained to think all hacking is bad. There are good hackers as well who do things for the good of others and naturally work security. Not all hackers are black hat

Look up DEFCON talks from past conferences.

Shit, mistook him for the lulzsec group. I thought he hacked the PSN. It's been a while.

Ahh, yeah don't sweat it. Trust me, the Lulzsec guys aren't working at Google. Or anywhere. Because they're in jail.

And they also suck at hacking and were just doing rudimentary shit/pissing off Anon but that's another story

Respawn

Banned
Because of his intelligence and knowledge, that guy is probably more valuable to humanity than you or me.

He also did nothing to deserve jail, not even remotely. You should ponder the reasons for your apparent hatred of him and come to the conclusion that you need to be more empathetic towards your fellow human beings.

One love.
Please just please.

R0ckman

If I was the owner of a tech company and I just witnessed some young dude successfully hack a console that had the toughest security among its peers at the time, I would hire him in a fucking heartbeat. Sending someone with that talent to jail would be a fucking waste.

That's not how justice is suppose to work.

His reaction to the situation if you ask me was pretty bad. The whole YouTube videos etc just screamed for attention.

Doing what he did in the first place was fine, his reaction to the fallout was not so good.

I remember that. The guy may be a genius but he was not exactly the most likeable person. In any case, good for him, I guess.

You do something wrong, you take responsibility or you reap the consequences. This is simple logic. Your kind of thinking is what spawns crooked systems.

He was never charged with a crime and he settled out of court when Sony brought up civil matters.

Consequences were reaped (he can never mess with Sony products again) and responsibility was taken.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To those of you hatin' on this guy: he's not the one that hacked PSN. I thought he was at first.

Hacking hardware != hacking networks, anyway. Technically, they're in the same ballpark but completely different.

jaxpunk said:
Sure seems to be alot of haters.

A lot of Sony-fans coming in shooting from the hip going "DURR HE HACKED OUR HARDWARE FUCK HIM" instead of actually looking at the timeline.

He cracked it. He didn't release the stuff. Other groups moved in, found what he did, opened the PS3. He got credit for mostly doing the legwork. PSN hack happens around the same time, idiots (like most of the hipfire posters) blame him for "hacking PSN" when he had nothing to do with it. Endless circlejerk.

Happens everythread that is posted about this dude.

You do something wrong, you take responsibility or you reap the consequences. This is simple logic. Your kind of thinking is what spawns crooked systems.

The judge seeing over the lawsuit didn't think that way. This was a civil case. You must be confusing GH with luzsec who got hit with the justice hammer because they actually stole people's information. GeoHot just made homebrew available on the PS3.

He also hacked (Rooted) the new Samsung S5 after no one could do it for months, and his method was incredibly easy to run, install an app and press a button lol. No connection to PC or anything.

Guy is a master.

He went to my school (Rochester Institute of Technology.) From what I've heard, no one there really liked him which led to him quitting after only one quarter.

IKizzLE

He took asylum (not sure why) at my university while I was there. Stayed at one of the frat houses because I guess he knew someone there. This was during the onset of the Sony legal debacle.

leehom

Is he the one who really hacked the PS3 first? I am 99% sure I saw hacked PS3's in Asia way before the majority of people in America knew about it. I think he might've gotten a hold of it from them first and released it here.

Bundy

Banned
I'm going to assume he was in the red after Sony went after him, so good to hear I guess. Sounds like he has aspergers.

d8f3zoF.jpg

His ability to hack through a closed system with little to no documentation (if I remember correctly) definitely shows his capabilities as a whitehat hacker. And given that Google develops the biggest search engine and one of the biggest Internet browsers, it's no wonder they snatched him up.

vypek

Its a hackers dream to land a job with one of the biggest IT corporations out there? War may not have changed but apparently hacking sure as fuck has. Remember hackers, its your dream to "sell out"

Why is getting a job selling out?

I know white hat hackers that would love to work for large corporations or government

baphomet

Apparently just using the word hacker brings the idiots out in full force. Completely oblivious to the fact that every product they own was made safe by hackers.

Apparently just using the word hacker brings the idiots out in full force. Completely oblivious to the fact that every product they own was made safe by hackers.

Without trying to sound condescending to anyone, but it's to be expected on a forum based around videogames rather than say a forum full of techguys/gals who have at least a rudimentary know-how about how this stuff works and probably do know their shit. Places like whitehack hacking communities, emulator developers etc.

Oh and Bleepingcomputer too as well.

Top Bottom