• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Play population:

I'm pretty sure Reach is going to be fine, and I don't think the dropoff of Reach playerbase will be that signifigant. At least not in the way that the playerbase took a hit when COD4, a game that genuinely disrupted multiplayer shooters was released. At this point, people who like Halo are playing Halo, and people who like COD are still playing COD4.

But hey, let's get some numbers in this post to record it. The last 24 hours of Reach (including about 10 hours of COD:Black Ops at this point) show a ~925 million unique players. By the end of the year, I bet that will still be above 800k. Halo 3 was averaging about 700k-800k at this point, and I think it settled around 300-400k. Considering the level of variety in Reach, and the growth of the xbox playerbase, I see Reach holding about 10-20% higher player numbers than H3.

Trying to predict the end of the Reach Playerbase based on the preferences of our friends list, is pretty damn silly, especially when the stats are right there for all to see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LunaticPuma said:
I don't understand why all of the Amazon sales threads are still on the campaign side. Shouldn't they be moved to online just like the Buy/Sell/Trade thread? Inconsistent enforcement of the rules is fun. :lol

There's no need to be a jerk about people taking steps to try to improve the forum you're posting on.

1) The Buy / Sell / Trade thread was moved to Online because it's primarily about community interactions between GAFfers. Would you be less inclined to bitch about how "inconsistent" we are if this forum was called "Online / Community Business"? Edit: Wait, EviLore actually did rename the forum to "Online / Community" so the complaint makes even LESS sense! The Amazon deals threads are just about deals. Do you understand now? There is no inconsistency in your example.

2) This is a transition process. There will most definitely be some "inconsistencies" during the transition process. I'm sure some threads should be here that aren't, and some threads are here that might make more sense to remain in Gaming for a little while longer. It takes a little while to balance things out. In the mean time, the stickied announcement thread explains a few options about how to get to the threads you want to get to, and it should be pretty obvious that this is a work in progress.

Cheers for the responses mods.

Back to regularity for the moment, are there essentially 3 daily challenges today so? One isn't working right?

GhaleonEB

Stumpokapow said:
I don't think his intent was to suggest that any post that's less than 100% multiplayer would get banned, I think his intent was to suggest that posters who announce "welp, screw the rules, i post what i want, if u don't like it ban me" are being counterproductive.

Obviously it's going to take a little while to figure out how to best keep thread communities integrated, lively, and active while keeping recurrent multiplayer discussion in the Online forum so that we don't end up with the gaming forum clogged up by SUPERMEGAOT threads that perennially occupy half the front page. From what I can tell, most of the replies in the moved threads seem to be generally sympathetic to our objective but worried about how best to help achieve that objective without kneecapping the communities, which is totally understandable.

I can't imagine anyone would ever be punished for innocent confusion about what is the best way to go about doing this stuff during the transition period.
That's where I land, as well. I think the policy generally makes sense, and is one that will get the Online Forum to function as it was intended. But without an outlet for campaign discussion or a line drawn about what should be discussed where, there's confusion about what can be posted.

When I read the notice on the Gaming side, I assumed that threads with a large proportion of their new posts devoted to online meet up/multiplayer discussion would move, but that wouldn't impact what could actually be posted; conversation would continue as it was before. So I guess I'm just wondering where the lines are. I mean, I want to post my "review" of the Reach campaign as well, but I don't think my opinion is thread-worthy. Can I post it here? Should I wait for a new thread about Reach's campaign on the Gaming side? I'm not trying to be difficult, but rather make sure I'm understanding and am following the rules.

(And edit the OP accordingly.)

Edit: just saw your edit and the reason for it. Wondering what a "special sub-community" is.

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:
Cheers for the responses mods.

Back to regularity for the moment, are there essentially 3 daily challenges today so? One isn't working right?

They're all working. You just have to get 150 kills and get complete the repeated challenges.

chess said:
Today is the day Reach officially dies. :( All the classic Halo lovers, like myself, hardly play and all the mass public Reach is catered to is jumping ship to COD. Here's to hoping a classic list comes in Dec to revive the masses!

While Im not jumping ship, I agree that Reach needs some more..something. Playlist wise, gametype wise, etc. Not just for the COD fans, but the Halo fans as well. Also, some playlists need some tweaking. For example Infection should be on customized versions of maps like halo 3, and have the variety of gametypes halo 3 had.

I cant wait for the Noble Map pack. It should add some spice.

Sai-kun

Banned
chess said:
Today is the day Reach officially dies. :( All the classic Halo lovers, like myself, hardly play and all the mass public Reach is catered to is jumping ship to COD. Here's to hoping a classic list comes in Dec to revive the masses!

:lol You must be fucking joking. :lol :lol :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GhaleonEB said:
When I read the notice on the Gaming side, I assumed that threads with a large proportion of their new posts devoted to online meet up/multiplayer discussion would move, but that wouldn't impact what could actually be posted; conversation would continue as it was before. So I guess I'm just wondering where the lines are. I mean, I want to post my "review" of the Reach campaign as well, but I don't think my opinion is thread-worthy. Can I post it here? Should I wait for a new thread about Reach's campaign on the Gaming side? I'm not trying to be difficult, but rather make sure I'm understanding and am following the rules.

You aren't being difficult, you're a sensible guy.

My inclination, although this might be something that changes as we see how this situation evolves, is that if you're making a one-off post like "Oh man, I was playing <x level> on Legendary co-op, hoooollllyyy shiiit" then I'd probably just leave it here. The bulk of people are coming to this thread right now. Some others might disagree with me on this, but I certainly know we don't plan on policing individual replies so closely.

For a review, that's a little iffier. Your review might not necessarily be thread material, but I'd say a lot of people are going to want to either post their own reviews or respond to specific points made in yours or whatever. And when you look at all those posts in aggregate, it probably is thread worthy. Now, whether you wait for someone to make a Reach campaign thread or decide to make one yourself including your review or just decide to post "My Halo Reach campaign review" as a thread and let it evolve from there, that's up to you right now.

I think this situation will be much easier to resolve with future game releases where we're really able to get in on the ground floor and fork the online discussion off into a new thread at the earliest sensible moment--which should be able to give us two healthy threads. Most of the threads that got retroactively moved into here are probably going to be a little trickier to balance out.

Like what EviLore said a page ago; this is really a developing situation, and the forum rename / description change just happened... so I wouldn't worry about walking on eggshells or going astray of the rules as long as you're basically trying to help make GAF a better place for discussion.

Greyvvolf

equil said:
SWAT is usually easier if you have less people on your team. Less targets for them to kill.
:lol Yeah, exactly what I was thinking before the match started. Though there are times when you get stuck on such a horrible team that you can't even move without getting killed by a headshot. Then your teammates eventually all quit. I was hoping that this match wasn't one of those times, especially since that one guy on the other team was such a douche.

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:
Good to know...

:/

Wait, they're not working actually. I have 100 kills. 1 challenge says completed, the other won't move and says completed aswell :lol

Edit: While b.net counts the kills past 100 and says challenge not completed.

I has a confuse =\

Edit: Now i don't have it completed in game and b.net won't count the kills anymore.

What the hell?

GhaleonEB

Stumpokapow said:
You aren't being difficult, you're a sensible guy.

My inclination, although this might be something that changes as we see how this situation evolves, is that if you're making a one-off post like "Oh man, I was playing <x level> on Legendary co-op, hoooollllyyy shiiit" then I'd probably just leave it here. The bulk of people are coming to this thread right now. Some others might disagree with me on this, but I certainly know we don't plan on policing individual replies so closely.

For a review, that's a little iffier. Your review might not necessarily be thread material, but I'd say a lot of people are going to want to either post their own reviews or respond to specific points made in yours or whatever. And when you look at all those posts in aggregate, it probably is thread worthy. Now, whether you wait for someone to make a Reach campaign thread or decide to make one yourself including your review or just decide to post "My Halo Reach campaign review" as a thread and let it evolve from there, that's up to you right now.

I think this situation will be much easier to resolve with future game releases where we're really able to get in on the ground floor and fork the online discussion off into a new thread at the earliest sensible moment--which should be able to give us two healthy threads. Most of the threads that got retroactively moved into here are probably going to be a little trickier to balance out.

Like what EviLore said a page ago; this is really a developing situation, and the forum rename / description change just happened... so I wouldn't worry about walking on eggshells or going astray of the rules as long as you're basically trying to help make GAF a better place for discussion.
Thanks. I think that makes sense, and can serve as a good guideline during the transition.

I hadn't thought of this before, but we can also post reviews of campaign (or the game entire) in the 2010 user reviews thread.

chess

Sai-kun said:
:lol You must be fucking joking. :lol :lol :lol

Not 100% serious obviously. There will always be good numbers for the game to be alive. But sadly Reach gameplay just isn't as good as previous halos. If it weren't for firefight and cR we would have already seen the drop without the need of COD release. Now I never got the cR thing so I have absolutely no craving to play. I bet most people that jump ship to COD are people that just play reach for cR. I don't think the core Halo lovers truely enjoy Reach gameplay. I mean the netcode and weapons are all great...unfortunately it's the AA's that completely changed the gameplay and what Halo is about. Movement, weapon/map/powerup control, base spawn loadout. I'm not saying Reach is horrible, I'm not saying AA's are the end of the world. I'm just saying, as someone that only into gaming because of Halo, Reach is just not Halo. :( And no, Halo 2/3 weren't that great. Reach is so close, having all the things that made halo great...ruined by adding AA's and having broken power-ups.

I'm speaking about competive Multiplayer of course. Campaign only matters for about 1 day. Reach campaign was right up there with CE. :)

GhaleonEB said:
I hadn't thought of this before, but we can also post reviews of campaign (or the game entire) in the 2010 user reviews thread.
Well, see, what I'm going to do is a level by level comparison of Halo: Reach and Halo: CE. It's not necessarily a review (though one can be incorporated into it), but more of telling people why I like Reach more than CE.
chess said:
If it weren't for firefight and cR we would have already seen the drop without the need of COD release.
"Yeah, I don't think so."

Speak for yourself, dude.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Man it took me forever to figure out this thread had been moved to the online section. I thought it got closed or deleted.

Gui_PT said:
Wait, they're not working actually. I have 100 kills. 1 challenge says completed, the other won't move and says completed aswell :lol

Edit: While b.net counts the kills past 100 and says challenge not completed.

I has a confuse =\

Edit: Now i don't have it completed in game and b.net won't count the kills anymore.

What the hell?

It's not working for me either.

Gui_PT

GM Bullfrog said:
It's not working for me either.

I got it. Registered on b.net and got the credits in a match. Only problem is the challenge bar is stuck at 100, but it keeps counting the kills.

RdN

Also having problems with the second 150 kills Gunslinger challenge.. Stopped counting when I finished the 100 kills one. :/

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:
There is a loophole.

The Halo: Reach Campaign is available as an online multiplayer matchmaking playlist.
Yeah that's what I meant by grey areas. Technically, every mode in Reach is an online multiplayer mode. (Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Multiplayer)

But I think we have enough guidance to handle things. I'm working on condensing the OP accordingly.
CrazedArabMan said:
I just want to point out that I believe black-ops has the option to render clips to the internet and download them to your pc like Bungie pro. Only cool thing is that you don't have to pay to do it unlike Halo Reach. :(
Probably because their publisher, Activision, is supporting the feature. With Halo video rendering seems to be something not supported by Microsoft, which is why Bungie foots the bill for it. They had to build the engine, back end, host it on Bungie.net and provide minute packs for purchase through Amazon rather than MS Points. Which is really too bad.

I just want to point out that I believe black-ops has the option to render clips to the internet and download them to your pc like Bungie pro. Only cool thing is that you don't have to pay to do it unlike Halo Reach. :(

GhaleonEB said:
Probably because their publisher, Activision, is supporting the feature. With Halo video rendering seems to be something not supported by Microsoft, which is why Bungie foots the bill for it. They had to build the engine, back end, host it on Bungie.net and provide minute packs for purchase through Amazon rather than MS Points. Which is really too bad.

If this is the case, and it most likely is, first off it is a shame MS wouldn't help support it, but it could possibly be in Bungie's next game as Activision is the publisher. Only time will tell if we have to pay or if we get it for free. Or even if it will have a theater mode at all.

Rorschach

CrazedArabMan said:
There are lots of things CoD has that Halo doesn't (where's clan support?). You just have to face facts that Bungie put in a lot less effort.
lvEyC.gif

Ha, just got my division placement and I'm Iron?! Despite finishing with 15/20 top four finishes. I guess not enough people have been rated yet? Bolded are the times I didn't 'win'.

(1st, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 4th, 7th, 3rd, 5th, 1st, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 1st, 2nd)

Edit: found missing game.

Lothars

Ramirez said:
83K on Reach to CoD's 1.5 million. :lol

It's also the first day, I see the number dropping off huge on BO side sooner than later and reach number keeping a steady pace but it's way to early to make any judgements.

GhaleonEB

Halo 3's active users cratered when major games shipped, in particular each of the MW games, then GTAIV. And it rebounded a month or so later. Not sure what's so surprising about that happening again. The release of the map pack at the end of November will also help to bring some players back.

Though, I think the rough shape of the playlists might have some impact in deterring some players from coming back.
Hypertrooper said:
I dont know but Pinnacle was much bigger in Halo 2, right? Or is it just my imagination? Because I played SWAT Magnum(MUCH BETTER THAN NORMAL SWAT!) on the remake and the enemy team was spawn killing than in any other games I had played in Reach.
In my relatively brief experience in multiplayer matchmaking, I found the spawn design across the board to be rather poor. Too many spawns in the open, not enough "bail out" weak spawn zones, too many neutral spawns for eithe team to use (which causes lots of issues).

I dont know but Pinnacle was much bigger in Halo 2, right? Or is it just my imagination? Because I played SWAT Magnum(MUCH BETTER THAN NORMAL SWAT!) on the remake and the enemy team was spawn killing than in any other games I had played in Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
In my relatively brief experience in multiplayer matchmaking, I found the spawn design across the board to be rather poor. Too many spawns in the open, not enough "bail out" weak spawn zones, too many neutral spawns for eithe team to use (which causes lots of issues).
I have nothing against the map-design, but the only worst things are the spawn places in my opinion. Like you already said the spawn position are really placed in open places. I really want to try the maps with some local friends. But the most of my friends are only playing on PS3 or havent Reach. I could play with my brother but if he plays with me, he will lost the interest very fast for Reach. :lol

Domino Theory said:
Happy Birthday, Halo 2!

Still the best Halo in the series. <3
Multiplayer, Yes I guess. Singleplayer? Non.

Hypertrooper said:
I made a similar comment about this some time ago, but Pinnacle feels very cramped to me compared to Ascension. Not sure why.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh man, speaking of Pinnacle, I gotta render some clips. I jumped off the main area to the bridge connecting banshee spawn/big tower as a guy spawned, and I assassinated him. It was so badass!

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
If I was a betting man I'd say

1. Sprint/Jetpack
2. Effective long range rifle
3. Field of view is different

I find that alters my perception of space quite a bit between the games.

kaskade

I finally reached the rank of captain last night :D. I was looking at the ranks online and apparently it takes 66k to go from warrant officer 3 to captain. No wonder it felt like forever.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've noticed that occasionally down in the left hand corner of my screen during a game it will say +493 credits or whatever randomly.. but they don't show up in the post game carnage report or anything though. Is this just a glitch? It's a lot of credits that pop up but I don't think I'm getting them.

Jtwo said:
So I've noticed that occasionally down in the left hand corner of my screen during a game it will say +493 credits or whatever randomly.. but they don't show up in the post game carnage report or anything though. Is this just a glitch? It's a lot of credits that pop up but I don't think I'm getting them.
No, this are the credits you earned in the match.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I could have sworn it was different than when it totals up.
I guess I'll have to keep an eye out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom