• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 |OT| Where is the OT?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Because no one else wanted to make one , and I’m too lazy to ever actually make an OT, here’s a pseudo OT to discuss the game outside the review thread.

You’re welcome Gaf.

header.jpg

Last edited:

Arsic

I'm gonna spend too much time on this OT, thanks mate

Looking Fine Lets Go GIF by BrownSugarApp

That said this game I think is the biggest surprise hit of the year. The first game is no doubt good but this is a huge leap and steps above the original.

I can’t think of a game in the last 10 years that had this good of level design . Each planet is just so well crafted with secrets , mechanics , and visual design. Only from software takes this kind of approach to well crafted world and level building.

Josemayuste

That said this game I think is the biggest surprise hit of the year. The first game is no doubt good but this is a huge leap and steps above the original.

I can’t think of a game in the last 10 years that had this good of level design . Each planet is just so well crafted with secrets , mechanics , and visual design. Only from software takes this kind of approach to well crafted world and level building.

I really really like all the time that these devs took into designing those secrets, and it shows, it definitely surpassed From in that regard, the procedurally generated aspect only makes it better.

phant0m

Shhh, don’t tell the guy in the review thread that cried it was just “more of the same” and Gunfire didn’t do anything new

Arsic

What kind of game is this? Havent been paying attention.
It’s a souls like third person shooter.

Can make the game very hard, can play co op or solo, and lots of classes to pick from and unlock. Plus dual classing.

Edmund

Can I just jump into part 2 right away or do I have to play part 1 to enjoy this?

I have Remnant of the ashes free on Epic store but I really have limited game time and energy.

Arsic

Can I just jump into part 2 right away or do I have to play part 1 to enjoy this?

I have Remnant of the ashes free on Epic store but I really have limited game time and energy.
Nah. Just jump in. Both stories are nonsense lol. You can just watch a YT recap video of one and be fine.

Luipadre

Just play the second. Much better game and you dont play these for the story :D

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Finding a secret passage, then wondering where it will connect into the main level, wandering around in it maybe even finding an optional boss, then reaching the secret area's end and opening that door only to come back to a recognized area is such a delight. And it's implemented very well in this game, especially the castle and bloodborne-esque area (losonn or something?).

Freeman76

The secrets must be very well hidden as I havent seen anything special yet and ive scoured the first areas. Im not far in though, about to get the third seeker key, so I guess the best is round the corner.

It is a really enjoyable game, I liked the first one but this is definitely better.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The secrets must be very well hidden as I havent seen anything special yet and ive scoured the first areas. Im not far in though, about to get the third seeker key, so I guess the best is round the corner.

It is a really enjoyable game, I liked the first one but this is definitely better.
I've had multiple runthroughs and seen different things and secrets everytime. This game is a masterpiece.

What an epic OT! Guess I'll be posting here now 👍

I'm in the final area, wish there were more worlds but looking at the world selection screen there is room for exactly 3 more, DLC incoming. Think I'm nearing 50 hours across Campaign and Adventure modes, it's been quite the journey.

Started Adventure mode in Losomn earlier today and this roll takes place *entirely* in the Fae's castle environment, no Bloodborne stuff. Pretty crazy someone could potentially roll that on their first playthrough and have no idea the BB area even exists.

Finally felt comfortable replacing my starting rifle (at +15) with a crazy ricochet disc gun crafted from Yaesha's world boss mat, can take out entire groups with 1-2 shots. The mod on it calls down giant, magical swords to impale anyone hit with it's charged bullets before activating it, looks and feels badass. Rifle is still my go-to for bosses though, acid build I created around it is still my fastest/top dmg dealer, just can't be beat.

Edit: spoke too soon, I've entered multiple BB areas lol. All good, seeing lots of new things either way.

Last edited:
Had my first proper session yesterday with a couple of friends.

Everything good about part 1 is here and correct.

They did went overboard a bit with puzzles and secret items. We came across a puzzle that had 3 rotating parts overhead, 3 doors with symbols above, 2 completely cryptic diaries and no way to know if you are doing it wrong.

We somehow managed to solve it all, but may not be lucky next time.

Regardless, had a great time and game is addictive. Will do 4 playthroughs at each difficulty for sure.

I was considering buying this, but it is not in stock anywhere. I check four local stores. The retail cost is $50, but digital is $65. Guess I’ll be waiting for this to hit PS+ like the previous game.

Mephisto40

Is the coop bugged. What am I supposed to do if I wanna play with randoms. I just opened my game to public.
You have to just wait for people to join your game

I get the feeling that the game has some sort of inbuilt system that only allows people to join your randomly if you are actively doing things inn the game, if you just stand around nobody ever seems to join

The multiplayer also seems to be more active as you level up a bit, because it will match people at your level, seems to be a lot more people at level 10+ than 1-10

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So I hate Halo and Destiny but love Demon's Souls and Quake. Is this for me?
You might find the long walking parts boring. Especially if you hate Halo and Destiny. The bosses are pretty cool and the level design is cool too. It has the same enemies (two reg, one or two elites) coming at you. The enemies change in each area. Level design can be bland at times with a lot of stairs, going around corners, and just making it to the next checkpoint. Your call boss. It’s not DS’s level of discovery and it isn’t fast paced like Quake. Maybe similar in enemy placement as Quake, but that’s a stretch. Bosses are neat, randomized level design, and optimizing your character is what it succeeds at.

kikkis

I must admit after 3 hours, this game hasn't grabbed me strong. Its fine but I haven't gotten obsessed with it like I hoped I would.

GHG

Is this worth playing solo?

Looking for some opinions of those who have played a decent amount of time without co-op.

Mephisto40

Is the genral loop good fun or is it one of those "games" that relies on banter with friends to make the experience enjoyable?
The general loop is good just playing with randoms tbh, haven't heard a single person with a mic yet and it's still been fun

Last edited:

hlm666

Looking for some opinions of those who have played a decent amount of time without co-op.
I played through the whole thing solo on veteran (2nd difficulty). I died a shit load because i'm not one of these people who can cruise through hard games with no hit boss kills and stuff but I still enjoyed it. Now i'm trying to unlock stuff to try get a solid build together to push the next difficulty, there seems to be alot of build flexibility so most play styles should be able to put a good build together.

I might try some coop if nightmare is too much for me, but I think most people should be able to handle normal going solo. On a side note if your an achievement/trophy lover there are no difficulty based ones from what I gather, the higher difficulties have ingame rewards (I got a shotgun for veteran for example).

Hope that helps a bit.

50+ hours clocked 100% solo, Gunslinger (so no auto-revive as some other classes have), Veteran difficulty, haven't encountered a boss I couldn't deal with though a few had me cursing them out. Obviously this is highly skill dependant but I'm very good at this thing called video games lol, actually beat a World Boss yesterday and took zero damage.

I'd argue solo is the *best* way to play, much more immersive, take your time to explore and drink in the fantastic world(s) that has been created, read through the excellent lore entries, speak thoroughly with every wonderfully written/voiced NPC (NPC's at the home base are the weakest, everyone else is superb). Also, performance on Balanced mode on PS5 is rock solid solo, rarely dropping, that's genuinely been my experience 👍

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Pre ordered months ago, my copy is coming today for some reason...literally NO stores around me had it launch day and nobody was doing same day delivery for launch day..

Cant WAIT to jump in. I didnt discover the first one until like years after its release, such a fucking fun game

VN1X

Banned

Yes. Some puzzles require co-op but it's really easy to get someone in your lobby if you want.

Also, contrary to what someone else said the bosses are, in some cases, easier. Not in the least of how the scaling works but also due to readability during fights.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Finding a secret passage, then wondering where it will connect into the main level, wandering around in it maybe even finding an optional boss, then reaching the secret area's end and opening that door only to come back to a recognized area is such a delight. And it's implemented very well in this game, especially the castle and bloodborne-esque area (losonn or something?).

See, comments like this are what push me over the edge into The Buy Zone

Freeman76

Just completed The twisted chantry but still only have one Archetype. Does the second unlock during the campaign progress? Have no idea how big the game is, the Grove is the only area ive tackled since beating the cube boss, have one other area unlocked from a portal in Labyrinth, but havent explored it yet. Is there more areas after that? If not it's a pretty short game?

Last edited:

Alex11

Okay, for all the things that I don't like in this game, the labyrinth boss is not one of them. It's one thing that does that for me elevates it to something unique. When you
shoot the glowy thing you create that hole and you can stand underneath it when it runs over you, didn't expect that at all and it's the type of thing that I really like to see and just don't see it at all in games

Top Bottom