• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Bloodborne movie to star Bill Skarsgard, be directed by Adam Wingard

SJRB

Gold Member
How about no?
No to all these milking of gaming franchises.

imagine a Forspoken movie, buddy.

Just imagine it.

8zCZlW0.jpeg

Fuck off Sony! So you're going to give us a Bloodborne movie before you do a simple 60 fps patch or remaster?

Is nothing sacred anymore? This industry in 2024 has fully sold out to mainstream bullshit

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if they consulted with anyone else before making these decisions or was this just pulled from a hat? I can’t imagine Sony being this senile.

Gojiira

Bill Skarsgard is a great choice for a Hunter, he has a certain manic look plus a good actor. Could definitely see him as a Hunter.
Adam Wingard though…Idk…I love Godzilla and vs Kong was fun but doesnt really speak to his ability to create a horror centric, a very specifically cosmic horror centric film…
I still say the ONLY director who would nail it is Guillermo Del Toro

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Or a series.

But Sony movies suck huge shit, and have sucked shit for such a long time. So much so that at this point Sony executives must be doing it deliberately; there's no other explanation. And when a movie makes a profit or reviews well, they're probably just as surprised as anyone else.

kungfuian

Could care less about the movie but their investment in the IP and the potential release date of this movie; a few years from now give or take, all point to us getting a Blood-Re-Borne sooner or later.

I'm personally fully convinced we see a Bloodborne Remake/Remaster for PS6 launch similar to Demons PS5. It's the perfect type of launch game that attracts the hardcore early adopter. I think Sony know this and realized the impact it would have is much greater than if they released a lesser remake this gen.

Early predictions:

- Plot unrelated to the Bloodborne lore. Some references here and there, with quotes from the game randomly inserted.

- Lots of guns and explosions. Resident Evil movie vibes.

- An annoying kid that never shuts up.

- Smart sense of humor, with jokes that come naturally in moments of tension.

- Paulo Coelho-style messages: "Beasts are bad, but humans are worse"

- 45 - 30 in RT.

- Miyazaki announcing Bloodsouls a Switch 2 exclusive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The more cynical some of you are to judge something you haven't seen, the more I want to support it.

Give it a chance or work hard to make your vision of this game happen. Or be optometrist.

yurinka

Damn, they're doing a lot of projects.
When acquired Bungie they said that were also working to adapt the differnt Bungie IPs, so you can also add Destiny and Marathon.

I personally would like to get Helldivers, Wipeout, Motorostorm and Killzone too.

In a more recent interview the siad he'd like to make a Bloodborne sequel. And in a very recent one said he thinks that a Bloodborne remake would be cool but that it would make more sense for the next generation.

Last edited:

Strategize

The best they could do is translate the vibe. But how on earth do you tell that story in that format?

It's a special story, but the game itself is almost unfollowable on a first playthrough even while reading item descriptions lol. The movie won't even have item descriptions, meaning the movie might aswell end in a black screen with giant letters saying "Read "The Paleblood Hunt" by Redgrave."

Last edited:
movie => box office hit => bloodborne 2
If this is actually a thing, they will 100% release a remake as part of their marketing campaign.

Let's hope. TLOU1 and 2 both got remasters around the time of the TV series. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy got remastered around the time of the Uncharted movie.

Can you call a single game released a decade ago, and then borderline abandoned a “franchise”?

Well, there were four or five comc book series. Plus a board game and a card game.

I actually have the card game. It's pretty fucking fun. It's just tough to initially describe to people who are unfamiliar with the source material. But once you do and a play around or two, and people figure out the strategies, it can get pretty wild.

The concept is it's both cooperative and competitive at the same time. You team up with the other players to kill beasts, mini bosses, and bosses. But you win by basically being the player to have done the most damage to the enemies throughout the game. You do the most damage by not only hitting enemies with the most damaging weapons you have, but also by fucking over the other players, either by out damaging the other players to claim kills entirely for yourself, intentionally damaging/killing the other players, or abandoning a fight to let a monster kill them, among other strategies.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Yea, Sony, who kinda owns the most best picture winners?

15AWWCM.png
i'd need to see something like average imdb rating from the past like 30 years. the number of academy awards columbia pictures has had since like 1930 isn't really speaking to their quality recently. but i'm definitely open to the idea that the bad movies that sony has been making are just my imagination.

Comandr

A lot of people in this thread aren't reading between the lines. Do you remember what happened the last time a big Sony game got an adaptation? The game got a PC remake. By the time this movie comes out there are going to be a fair number of young people that have no fuckin clue what bloodborne is because it was simply before their time. So what do you do to reinvigorate interest in your IP? You remaster it. You re-release it.

You might not give a shit about a potential movie, and that's fine. But the movie does present a strong signal for what else could be coming. This news on top of Miyazaki saying "Shut up; I know you want a remake." when asked in a recent interview.

Where there's smoke..

Edit:
If this is actually a thing, they will 100% release a remake as part of their marketing campaign.

Let's hope. TLOU1 and 2 both got remasters around the time of the TV series. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy got remastered around the time of the Uncharted movie.

Some of ya are awake.

Last edited:

GustavoLT

Bloodborne tells the story about Joah, a transgender nurse who dreams to be a doctor but thinks all men hates her and should die.

Sony Pictures Seal of Quality!

this could be sick, i'll be hyped for anything bloodborne. easily one of my fav games of all time. i know we all want a remaster or sequel even more, but i'm not gonna complain about this !

excited for the

Arianna

scenes
Tom Cruise 80S GIF

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Bill Skarsgard is a great actor and Adam Wingard is a good director.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Bloodborne has some of the best art direction in the history of art (I'm not being hyperbolic).

This has a ton of fucking potential.
It has TONNES OF POTENTIAL.... but this is Sony Pictures... I have no confidence in this project. I will have to be proven wrong by a stellar fucking trailer.

DavidGzz

I've sucked down way too much hopium in the past to believe this because it means that the remake is probably in the works as well. I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It has TONNES OF POTENTIAL.... but this is Sony Pictures... I have no confidence in this project. I will have to be proven wrong by a stellar fucking trailer.
Sony Pictures is either super great like “Whiplash”, “Into the Spiderverse” or super fucking shit. There is no in between.

Kokoloko85

Just give me a sequel. It probably suits an anime about the lore more. The whole point is that the the story is not clear and up to your own interpretation

I don't know why people fall all over themselves to make movies of games still, when their reputation has never changed.

They are always either
- Terrible
- Mediocre
- Butcher the source material
- Are embarrassing meme/loyalist-bait trash (Mario and Sonic)
- Or can only be enjoyed ironically.

Also, why would you make a movie about Bloodborne of all games?
Where most of the story telling, is indirect, or to be found in exploration and gameplay.
It's a GAME through and through.

Just like P.T. (The silent hill Konami shoot to death) couldn't work as horror MOVIE.
The way its designed and meant to be experienced, is very particular to video games.

The Last of Us series supposedly worked, because that is what the people who made the games wanted it to be all along. A movie/series. They never gave a fuck about video games, specially Neil.
So it supposedly worked.

Anyway, embarrassing waste of time.

Last edited:
I just looked up Adam Wingard

Director of Death Note...... I couldn't think of a worst choice oh my god
Did he write it too or just direct it? There is a big difference between the two, and sometimes the director gets the blame for both even when they did a competent job at directing.

Top Bottom