• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnaden

This is a pretty interesting job posting from Next Level Games (Material Artist)

The interesting bit:
SKILLS

Experience working with PBR systems
Experience with node based material creation
Proficiency in 3DS Max, ZBrush & Photoshop
Proficiency in Unreal a bonus
Proficiency with bug tracking software
Proficiency in optimizing ARM assembly language a bonus

Next Level Games is more or less a Nintendo only studio now. PBR and Unreal kinda cuts out 3DS/Wii U, thought it does only has Unreal as a "bonus". Does hint towards NX being ARM based.

Clov

I can't help but feel that it would be a huge missed opportunity if there was no NX games at TGS, but it's looking more and more like that will be the case.

Rodin

This is a pretty interesting job posting from Next Level Games (Material Artist)

The interesting bit:

Next Level Games is more or less a Nintendo only studio now. PBR and Unreal kinda cuts out 3DS/Wii U, thought it does only has Unreal as a "bonus". Does hint towards NX being ARM based.
B-but it's going to be less powerful than the i7, how is it supposed to handle advanced PBR materials and lighting. This is definitely for a PS4/Xbone game
/s
DOA if those specs are true.
Is there a new rumor or are you referring to the OP?

Snakeyes

I think this mockup by Refreshment.01 merits some more discussion. How would people feel if (at least) the d-pad is essentially replaced with this type of control scheme, where you have a central button or stick/pad surrounded by a donut shaped free form screen which can be pressed in the direction of any of the button labels?

We've heard rumors about such donut screens, and Nintendo has been toying with control schemes involving a button wheel as seen in several of their recently filed patent applications, so this looks like a real possibility for a control innovation. As Refreshment.01 said, this can be used as buttons but additionally can be used with swiping motions, similar to the scroll shoulders from that patent application. This could be very useful in BotW or other games in which you can scroll through a list.

Does this sound like a super secret control scheme that others might be interested in copying? Any thoughts?

I like the idea if it can convincingly replicate the feeling of a diamond-shaped button layout and two button combinations. Been playing a lot of 2D games recently and despite it being a minor detail, it's really nice to have access to all the inputs without having to move your thumbs between the analog sticks and d-pad/face buttons. If Nintendo could somehow integrate the two into a single contraption on each side of the device without sacrificing complexity and precision, you'd have a pretty attractive controller for both casuals and the hardcore.

Nope. They could drop the announcement date sometime during it via a press release and Twitter though.

Zero at TGS itself, as they're not there, but they could announce something on/by Wednesday. We can probably rule that out if we don't hear anything tomorrow, though, and I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

This is the week, I feel it in my bones.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Tomorrow.

l2R0ebkWSmuqExsfS.gif

Vena

Or you know they could be breaking off after the Federation Force debacle or just branching out like Gamefreak or Monster Games.

They've long been rumored to be making two games, with FF actually being the minor and smaller focus of the two that was made on the side by a small group and why it took so long to finish. Tanabe had trouble getting any team together.

Also I don't think NLG is like GF or Monster, I am pretty sure they are actually rather loosely an effective part of Nintendo at this point just not outright acquired but under contract. They can't just "leave".

Oregano

They've long been rumored to be making two games, with FF actually being the minor and smaller focus of the two that was made on the side by a small group and why it took so long to finish. Tanabe had trouble getting any team together.

Also I don't think NLG is like GF or Monster, I am pretty sure they are actually rather loosely an effective part of Nintendo at this point just not outright acquired but under contract. They can't just "leave".

The same was assumed about Monster. Actually Monster Games were Nintendo-exclusive for a lot longer.

Banned
NLG probably has a context with Nintendo like Bungie had with Microsoft where they promised a certain quality of games to deliver for the publisher before they can go third party.

Or NLG exec was honest when he said they're happy only working with Nintendo like Quantic Dream does with Sony.

Vena

The same was assumed about Monster. Actually Monster Games were Nintendo-exclusive for a lot longer.

Monster was never an outright exclusive studio they were simply always used to contract for certain titles, NLG is an outright exclusive studio. NLG is about as close to the idea of a "second party" studio as there exists in any real capacity. They're almost certainly under contract (and why they made an outright statement on the fact that they were going exclusive), unlike Monster. Also lol if you think Nintendo would let the devs of Dark Moon go.

Also:

SKILLS

Experience with node based material creation
Proficiency in 3DS Max, ZBrush & Photoshop
Proficiency in Unreal a bonus
Proficiency with bug tracking software
Proficiency in optimizing ARM assembly language a bonus

This basically spells Tegra.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Oh right. I keep forgetting that there have been a few hints over the years that they'd been working on a Wii U project that now might have been pushed to NX.

I can't remember if that job listing (pretty sure it was a job listing...something about cinematics perhaps?) from forever ago that was suspicious ended up lining up with what Federation Force was or if that has yet to be explained. I can't seem to find it.

Eh, I think Ni No Kuni 2 has an extremely strong chance of happening. Level 5 has been one of Nintendo's strongest supporters on 3DS. Square is reportedly going to support the system strongly too, so KH3 is within the realm of possibility.

Persona 5 I see as having a much lesser chance of happening.

Going to have to agree, it would also be nice if they bundled NNK1 if they add NNK2 to the NX library.

Was it stated that Ni No Kuni was a PS3 exclusive back in the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom