• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

gafneo

Banned
Has it been mentioned that this wednesday is Kimishima's first anniversary as President of Nintendo?

Wouldn't that be a good date for him to bring news directly to us for the first time?

I have never seen him. Kind of a bummer he doesn't get out as much as Iwata.

ggx2ac

In approximately 10 hours, it will be midnight in Japan and the start of a new week...

A new week of madness.

TGS is coming up, some people are taking vacations and Edit: Ignore the last part I wrote, turns out it wasn't relevant.

My suggestion? Wait for the 15th of September when TGS starts, to just follow TGS. It'd be difficult to expect a reveal or a announcement date.

Don't want to be too hopeful about an announcement date.

Edit 2: Oh no, I spoke too soon. Something is about to stir up madness.

ggx2ac

You mean you?

No one should be expecting anything next week.
Except for TGS, that is all. The 2nd edit had to do with something I read on Twitter that someone is probably going to bring up but shouldn't.

Edit: Just to make sure, do not expect anything NX related to happen next week. There is TGS, although I bring that up as for something to pass the time, just like the PlayStation event we just had a couple of days ago.

My guess is that the next official statement from Nintendo or the next direct will be about the AC: New Leaf update (Amiibo). I do not think we will hear anything NX related before this... big event... has taken place.
So please, whoever will make the thread about this, name it "AC New Leaf Direct" and not "Nintendo Direct on xx. xx.! AC New Leaf!" to save our hearts from skipping beats ;p

No one should be expecting anything next week.
Except for TGS, that is all. lol
scGLLjK.gif

JavyOO7

I still say we won't hear anything until after November. It'd be great to hear something new, but eh... I think I can wait. I have Wii U and 3DS games to keep me busy for a while. And PokemonGO is lovely too!

edit - And as cool as the hardware may / may not be, I still want to know if someone could find out how the virtual console is going to shape up. My dream, as I said prior in the thread, to have all those Wii-side VC titles to be at launch, alongside with any that did not show up on the Wii side on the Wii U side of things. Because that'd be great. Instead, I just have this feeling that Nintendo is pretty disorganized in that side of things and I'll be having to wait 'X' number of years until title 'A' is in the VC again, etc.

Until we get an official reveal date, or at least a reported date from a credible source, I'm going to do my best to expect absolutely nothing. Not even just next week, in general.

Banned
Until we get an official reveal date, or at least a reported date from a credible source, I'm going to do my best to expect absolutely nothing. Not even just next week, in general.
I expect some devs to shove nx logos into their trailers at minimum.

ckfy63a

Speaking generally, I don't think Nintendo will make an announcement on Monday. That would break with the convention of Tuesday announcements for Directs, etc. Additionally, what would Nintendo have to gain for such a short turnaround pre-TGS between announcement and reveal? I feel like the hype would be claustrophobic, for the mainstream consumer/media at least.

ggx2ac

I expect some devs to shove nx logos into their trailers at minimum.

At TGS? Trailers of what, exactly, Heaving Waifu Tits: Uguu~ Maiden Quest V?

At some point, Nintendo needs to let the third parties announce titles for NX. For some vague reason Ubisoft, Square-Enix and Sega have gotten away with announcing titles for NX.

Technically, Sega put an NX logo for their new Sonic game announcement trailer.

Dystify

Has there been a new rumor or confirmation about software or hardware that I could add to the NX rumor list?

As far as I can see there's been nothing new, but maybe I missed something.

There are so many rumors I don't know what to believe about the NX. It seems there is a new rumor every few days.

There hasn't been a new rumor about NX or its software in quite a few days now, as far as I can see. I guess for people who don't visit NX threads very often it may seem like a lot.

Square Enix announces Kingdom Hearts 3 for NX...

Level 5 announces Ni No Kuni for NX...

Atlus announces Persona 5 for NX...

I would lose my shit especially playing Persona 5 on the go. Fuck I'd buy all those games for NX.

ggx2ac

Has there been a new rumor or confirmation about software or hardware that I could add to the NX rumor list?

As far as I can see there's been nothing new, but maybe I missed something.

Unfortunately not a rumour but speculation on things that happened.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-eyes-doughnut-shaped-screen-report-claims/1100-6424284/

The deal Nintendo made with Sharp back in 2014 for their Free Form Displays, it was rumoured Nintendo were going to use a donut-shaped screen.

Some people speculate this was for their QoL device but that has been put into a halt. Then around December 2015 a patent appears for a device that uses a free form display and lead to that fake controller leak.

I think that the donut shaped screens could end up appearing on the detachable controllers in the final product going by everything that was said earlier in the page before.

The only reason left being to think that is that I haven't heard of Nintendo cancelling that deal with Sharp.

This is the week. I fully think that announcement and reveal will be this week.

I have faith in the eurogamer report and the French blog that dropped the ps4pro reveal date.

On another note nx killer apps should be star tropics, Luig's mansion, wave racer, pilotwings, splatoon ultimate edition and sequel,

Your wish could come true for Lego city undercover 2!

I have faith in the eurogamer report and the French blog that dropped the ps4pro reveal date.

On another note nx killer apps should be star tropics, Luig's mansion, wave racer, pilotwings, splatoon ultimate edition and sequel,

Killer app star tropics?! What kind of game would it be anyway? Nearly no one remembers the IP so it wouldnt turn much heads from the name anyway.

And Luigis Mansion, Wave Race anf other B Titles didnt help the Gamecube. I doubt we will see these games at launch ever again. ;)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

How do you define killer apps?

retroman

So, last night I dreamed I was watching the news and the anchorman said that analysts predict the NX will be revealed on September the 13th.

Yes, I am officially going crazy.

Oregano

I haven't looked at the exhibitors lol.

DQXI?
Late port of FFXV?
Ni no Kuni 2?
Persona 5 portable?

#Dreams

Yeah none of those are happening at TGS.

FFXV definitely isn't happening at all, Tabata directly said no to an NX version.

Legendary nintendo franchises. Alongside of course the Mario/walagui games.

If you had the gameplay and the amazing graphics of today with true feeling of flying/ water physics it would be unreal.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The are legendru status games , they did not have the love out into them on cube, Nx would be perfect time to bring them back.

So you expect them to get critical acclaim, sell well, sell the system, or something else? Because I could see any of those titles being the former—it's all up to the developer and the individual game—but nothing inherent to any of those series says the latter to me. Good sales could happen and they could theoretically sell the system, but they'd have to be incredibly exciting games that turn heads in the industry.

EDIT: A Splatoon sequel that expands the game significantly (because it'll no longer have the allure of just being a new concept) has a shot of moving units on NX. The IP is great and seems to have good traction globally but particularly in Japan. Maybe Luigi's Mansion as well because its 3DS sales were really quite something. However, the others have almost zero significant cultural capital beyond a small group, so they'd have an uphill battle ahead of them.

Speely

Banned
So, last night I dreamed I was watching the news and the anchorman said that analysts predict the NX will be revealed on September the 13th.

Yes, I am officially going crazy.

No, you're not. The analysts in your dream were bits of information flowing backwards in time along limbic paths. These are memories of the future. It's happened-ing.

Done correctly these could, plus obviously bringing a multiplayer element into them. Not forgetting local player though.

Nintendo is just about the only console left you can have fun with a load of family/mates.

Even singstar on ps4 is dying now because nobody wants to share with friends etc on that platform. It's all about fps or more boring same old shoot em ups.

I say thank God for nintendo!

Believe me everything is about clever and significant marketing

If you said *new from nintendo is a legendry group of games that a lot of New generation are yet to find and encounter* then have history about it told how these games capture the fun etc showed the graphics and obviously had a usp with the nx to best utilise them then this would be I am sure quite phenomenal!

I wonder if there will ever be a 5 button controller like that. The spacing should allow for a central one
Well technically there's actually 1 physical button and 1 clickable surface of the touch screen, in the exapmle the ABXY where virtual ones. Depending on requirements it can reasonably translate between 1 to 4 extra button like inputs. On top of this, Directional Swipes are another input available.

In this way, the interface dynamically adjusts depending of the input demands of a game. A 3D Zelda would use the 1 physical button surrounded by ABXY virtual keys, but on the other hand Kirby's Air Ride would only use the physical one and the circular touch screen to simulate a rotating wheel that makes the character Star Spin either clockwise or counter clock wise.

There's also a user's physicological reaction to consider. Take the Kirby example above. What would an user think when playing the game for the 1st time, when picking the controller and he only sees 1 button where their thumb rests naturally surrounded by a video animation of spining lines in motion and "swipe me!" text? Versus the same big button surrounded by 4 physical ones that say "ABXY"?

While you're right that free form displays likely won't happen due to cost and power consumption, your mockup actually combines two of the features we've heard about before the July leak: the rumored donut screens and the patented control scheme which uses a button wheel around a control stick such that pushing the stick towards one of the buttons on the wheel activates that button.

I know it's not exactly the same as that second function but this does showcase a very good application of those donut screens.
The main driver of the picture was more about showing people a more practical application of a Free Form Display. That is why in that reply, there are 4 quoted posts from ggx2ac, ckfy63a and Lex that taked about such displays been shaped like tiny individual buttons and strapped over the controller surface... which seems a bit awkward/less functional/expensive? to implement i think.

Costs is an important factor here. That is why in the example picture, a small circular Free Form Display is implemented to both simplify and expand the user interface. In the Nintendo patents i' ve seen for these displays, a big eliptical one is used, which certainly would be more expensive.That's why i said a Trackpad with a hole for a physcial input would cover most of the functionality sans the "cool" looking dynamic HUD. Or even image sensor used in tandem with transparent elements of the controller shell would enhance the interface while remaining comparatively cheap.

There are many other uses in terms of interface to take advantage of small Free Form Displays. For example, i' ve mentioned before about potentially using physical transparent overlays that can be coupled to either the device or controller frames to have cheap, customizable and animated physical buttons and not just virtual ones.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well technically there's actually 1 physical button and 1 clickable surface of the touch screen, in the exapmle the ABXY where virtual ones. Depending on requirements it can reasonably translate between 1 to 4 extra button like inputs. On top of this, Directional Swipes are another input available.

In this way, the interface dynamically adjusts depending of the input demands of a game. A 3D Zelda would use the 1 physical button surrounded by ABXY virtual keys, but on the other hand Kirby's Air Ride would only use the physical one and the circular touch screen to simulate a rotating wheel that makes the character Star Spin either clockwise or counter clock wise.

There's also a user's physicological reaction to consider. Take the Kirby example above. What would an user think when playing the game for the 1st time, when picking the controller and he only sees 1 button where their thumb rests naturally surrounded by a video animation of spining lines in motion and "swipe me!" text? Versus the same big button surrounded by 4 physical ones that say "ABXY"?

The main driver of the picture was more about showing people a more practical application of a Free Form Display. That is why in that reply, there are 4 quoted posts from ggx2ac, ckfy63a and Lex that taked about such displays been shaped like tiny individual buttons and strapped over the controller surface... which seems a bit awkward/less functional/expensive? to implement i think.

Costs is an important factor here. That is why in the example picture, a small circular Free Form Display is implemented to both simplify and expand the user interface. In the Nintendo patents i' ve seen for these displays, a big eliptical one is used, which certainly would be more expensive.That's why i said a Trackpad with a hole for a physcial input would cover most of the functionality sans the "cool" looking dynamic HUD. Or even image sensor used in tandem with transparent elements of the controller shell would enhance the interface while remaining comparatively cheap.

There are many other uses in terms of interface to take advantage of small Free Form Displays. For example, i' ve mentioned before about potentially using physical transparent overlays that can be coupled to either the device or controller frames to have cheap, customizable and animated physical buttons and not just virtual ones.

Interesting ideas. I don't think Nintendo is going to bother though, when it would be big R&D and hardware costs for little to no actual gain.

You sound a bit like the jeff_rigby of Nintendo threads.

I understand the purpose of your mockup was to show a much more functional and less expensive application of free form screens, but even having those screens at all in any form might be more expensive than Nintendo wants. Especially when you will likely have two of those screens in each NX SKU, with one for each controller.

But my other point was about how this actually resolves the "donut screens" rumor we heard years ago and several functions described in Nintendo's recent patent applications. Like this:

phppd2lqa.jpg

As well as the infamous elliptical touch screen display patent, which had a touch screen button wheel:

fig14_15y3j29.png

I'm saying that the mockup you came up with does a fantastic job of resolving this functionality with the rumored "donut screen" free form display in a way that seems much less expensive and much more functional than what we initially would have thought.

As in, it seems like a pretty Nintendo-like innovation. You might be on to something if these screens can be relatively cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom