• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
Tomorrow is that potential NX reveal, and it's looking far less likely now. Was that French site always right?

I'd have thought the reveal being a surprise is very unlikely. They'll want people to know it's happening so that it gets hype and gets watched. Expect them to announce the announcement a few days before.

KingBroly

Banned
One thing I don't think people have talked about with NX is that, if it is like this, there probably isn't going to be a Power Brick.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Was thinking today how sweet it's going to be to be able to play Gamecube games on a portable.

Then I laughed and remembered Virtual Console has been at a complete standstill for the longest time.

Oregano

Was thinking today how sweet it's going to be to be able to play Gamecube games on a portable.

Then I laughed and remembered Virtual Console has been at a complete standstill for the longest time.

Hey maybe we'll get really lucky and Sega will do Saturn and/or Dreamcast VC releases too.

AfroDust

I just drew up this thing.

Just mashing together all the rumours:
detachable controllers, kickstand, 720p 6-inch screen, split d-pads etc.

I think that clam shell designs are pretty economical for space reasons, and in this case, you can fold the bottom of the device under itself to for the kickstand when the controllers have been removed.

442yt1th.pbt.png

I highly doubt they're gonna go for a clamshell design again, but nice mock-up.

Retrobox

3DS VC with 180 entries seems respectable enough.

Wii U is just a trainwreck so they're not taking it seriously anymore. Not that I'm trying to defend that course of action...

LordOfChaos

I wonder if Nintendo will keep the hardware 4k encoder and decoder built into the modern Tegra chips and allow 4k video playback.

If it involves further software licensing, even keeping it in the hardware is no assurance it will be capable. See Wii DVD drive not playing DVDs without home-brew, Wii U single layer blu ray drive not playing blu rays.

what-ok

I have a feeling that the design will be way simpler than what is rumored to be. I feel that it will have have less moving parts that flip open, detach, etc...
The whole detachable controller thing sounds like less of an innovation and just a messy situation. Nintendo's focus on kids may call for a design where parts will less likely to be lost, so small detachable controllers may be a no go from that perspective. Also, a portable needs to be portable and not cumbersome. The 3DS works and is a bit bulky but somehow has been successful. Wouldn't you think that bringing a larger piece of equipment; larger than the 3DS to the streets with detaching controllers etc seems like it's not the best option.
My 2 cents.
I do however believe the NX will be a home console first and have a controller with an integrated screen that will have portability but without the detachable controller thing.
Please forgive me for not believing (=

I think this mockup by Refreshment.01 merits some more discussion. How would people feel if (at least) the d-pad is essentially replaced with this type of control scheme, where you have a central button or stick/pad surrounded by a donut shaped free form screen which can be pressed in the direction of any of the button labels?

We've heard rumors about such donut screens, and Nintendo has been toying with control schemes involving a button wheel as seen in several of their recently filed patent applications, so this looks like a real possibility for a control innovation. As Refreshment.01 said, this can be used as buttons but additionally can be used with swiping motions, similar to the scroll shoulders from that patent application. This could be very useful in BotW or other games in which you can scroll through a list.

Does this sound like a super secret control scheme that others might be interested in copying? Any thoughts?

Toxi

Banned
No region locking becomes more exciting when you consider Japanese third parties.

At least we can finally play Gameboy Advance games on another Nintendo portable.

akern1984

Neo Member
Square Enix announces Kingdom Hearts 3 for NX...

Level 5 announces Ni No Kuni for NX...

Atlus announces Persona 5 for NX...

I would lose my shit especially playing Persona 5 on the go. Fuck I'd buy all those games for NX.

Sorry non of those are happing. Formost not Persona 5 because it is a sony exclusive.

Oregano

Sorry non of those are happing. Formost not Persona 5 because it is a sony exclusive.

Both Persona 3 and 4 received portable versions. If Atlus want to do the same it's either NX or Mobile
or PS Trinity.

Sony has no ownership of the Persona brand.

G.ZZZ

I think this mockup by Refreshment.01 merits some more discussion. How would people feel if (at least) the d-pad is essentially replaced with this type of control scheme, where you have a central button or stick/pad surrounded by a donut shaped free form screen which can be pressed in the direction of any of the button labels?

We've heard rumors about such donut screens, and Nintendo has been toying with control schemes involving a button wheel as seen in several of their recently filed patent applications, so this looks like a real possibility for a control innovation. As Refreshment.01 said, this can be used as buttons but additionally can be used with swiping motions, similar to the scroll shoulders from that patent application. This could be very useful in BotW or other games in which you can scroll through a list.

Does this sound like a super secret control scheme that others might be interested in copying? Any thoughts?

Button with no physical feedback would push me close to the "fuck this even if it has BotW on it", like seriously. It's the worst thing ever.

maxcriden

No offense intended, but if you mean this in the sense that Nintendo is leaving VC at a standstill, I don't think that's entirely fair. For a long while VC was at an unpleasantly long slowdown but the last couple years have been way, way better with tons of GBA, DS and Wii games added, and with SNES VC on N3DS. If you look at the list of Nintendo published games that they have the rights to, nearly everything they can make available had been made available. The lack of Wii U success led to third party systems and software being absent this gen, which absolutely does suck, but everything Nintendo can do themselves, i.e. putting their own content up, they've been doing in immense droves the last 1-2 years again, including on multiple mainline Nintendo systems which didn't previously have VC during the Wii gen. Putting up third party stuff isn't their decision and Wii U sales have evidently dictated the lack of content there, but in terms of first party Nintendo has ended up offering way more this gen. Additionally, I believe Nintendo has previously said they plan to incorporate current VC functionality into future systems, in an attempt to future proof and not have to recreate the effort, so as such I'm sincerely hoping we don't get a third console drip-feed. That would be immensely unfortunate. At the least if I'm remembering that statement correctly it should allow for Nintendo to have a lit of VC content readily available to put on NX, hopefully at or near launch.

L Thammy

After having two unpopular, needlessly expensive features in their recent systems, I don't think Nintendo's going to want to use freeform displays if they aren't going to be of much value. They even removed one of them to reduce the price of one of their systems. Having four digital buttons is easily replaced by four physical buttons and doesn't provide any advantage as far as I can tell.

I feel pretty confident that the freeform display thing is primarily for QOL; it allows them to create a screen that's aesthetically pleasing on a variety of different devices that traditionally haven't had one.

Malus

After having two unpopular, needlessly expensive features in their recent systems, I don't think Nintendo's going to want to use freeform displays if they aren't going to be of much value. They even removed one of them to reduce the price of one of their systems. Having four digital buttons is easily replaced by four physical buttons and doesn't provide any advantage as far as I can tell.

I feel pretty confident that the freeform display thing is primarily for QOL; it allows them to create a screen that's aesthetically pleasing on a variety of different devices that traditionally haven't had one.

I wonder if this haptic feedback thing is expensive to implement.

Button with no physical feedback would push me close to the "fuck this even if it has BotW on it", like seriously. It's the worst thing ever.

Read his post, the donut is an element which is clickable at an angle, so you can depress it towards each button on the screen. That means it most certainly has physical feedback.

I agree that if this is prohibitively expensive it makes no sense, but we really don't know how much such small screen portions could cost. If it winds up adding $1-5 to the BoM rather than $25-50 I could definitely see them going with it, as it offers a lot of new control layouts. Especially customizable control layouts, which is something that their R&D has been focused on based on their patent applications.

TDLink

Eh, I think Ni No Kuni 2 has an extremely strong chance of happening. Level 5 has been one of Nintendo's strongest supporters on 3DS. Square is reportedly going to support the system strongly too, so KH3 is within the realm of possibility.

Persona 5 I see as having a much lesser chance of happening.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In approximately six hours, from time of writing, Nintendo Co., Ltd. will start its business day of September 12, the first day of the working week featuring Tokyo Game Show 2016. Sony's 2016 PlayStation Press Conference in Japan is on September 13. Nintendo does not seem distant to announcing things on the same day as one of its major competitors is holding an event, so if these rumors of an NX announcement happening prior to TGS 2016 are true one could perhaps await such today or tomorrow.

Rösti;216576292 said:
In approximately six hours, from time of writing, Nintendo Co., Ltd. will start its business day of September 12, the first day of the working week featuring Tokyo Game Show 2016. Sony's 2016 PlayStation Press Conference in Japan is on September 13. Nintendo does not seem distant to announcing things on the same day as one of its major competitors is holding an event, so if these rumors of an NX announcement happening prior to TGS 2016 are true one could perhaps await such today or tomorrow.

I miss the days when you had inside info and would give us hints. You sound as much in the dark as the rest of us lol

MDave

Did some reading up on power and thermal performance of the Shield TV on maximum load:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review/9

Nearly 20 watts for the entire system when doing the 1080p T-Rex GFXBench benchmark test. This includes the fan to cool the SoC. If we scale this power usage down for Pascal, which is 60% less power, looking at about 10 watts at the same clock speed and performance as the Tegra X1 going all out at 1080p. Reduce that further for the 720p target, guess that brings it down to 6-7 watts for the entire system? Remove the cooling fan, and we have our 5 watts? Not sure how many watts a 720p 6.2inch screen uses as that depends on brightness levels and such. But this sounds reasonable to expect something as powerful as a full Tegra X1 for the NX. In handheld mode.

Separate dock mode and handheld power mode would not really be required.

Zelda could look leaps and bounds better then the Wii U version.

Snakeyes

Pretty sure Sony isn't funding or publishing Persona 5, hence there's nothing stopping it from being on NX. Just whether Atlus see fit to port it or not.

At the same time, you gotta give Sony marketing credit for creating such strong associations with certain third party games that people begin to say stuff like that without batting an eye.

Edit: Post got splitted.
The rumor is probably talking about linear actuators, those can be had for reasonable prices. So it's inclusion in the NX is pretty safe at least in terms of costs.

As a personal wish i would really like for them to continue using speakers as supplemenary feedback and 3D local sound. While the number of games that supported this feature dramatically decreased in relation to the Wii, the latest Star Fox is a noteworthy case of what the idea of using speakers closer to the user can add to a game.

Interestingly, speakers have increased in performance in relation to size. i wonder how plausible would it be to use a speaker as a way to provide vibration to a controller. Yes, im aware there are companies putting speakers in our butts, but it would be interesting to see how far the idea could be taken in a videogames controller.

The various paragraphs of descriptions that accompanied that picture explained otherwise. To add feedback, a small circular screen such as that could rest over a physical click. That's not forgetting that the center button is a physical one in the first place.

The software or game can be programmed to trigger the Virtual Button when is clicked instead of just taped. Also there's the probability of having 3 type of different inputs over a Virtual Button or region: A click, a tap or a swipe.

However, i could understand someone like you having preference for a "squeeze" over a physical click. But in the end physical feedback can be added to that touch screen if Nintendo wanted.

Anyways no need to fear, below responding to Skitzo, there's other concept that has a good chance to end up in the NX.

I understand the purpose of your mockup was to show a much more functional and less expensive application of free form screens, but even having those screens at all in any form might be more expensive than Nintendo wants. Especially when you will likely have two of those screens in each NX SKU, with one for each controller.

But my other point was about how this actually resolves the "donut screens" rumor we heard years ago and several functions described in Nintendo's recent patent applications. Like this:

As well as the infamous elliptical touch screen display patent, which had a touch screen button wheel:

I'm saying that the mockup you came up with does a fantastic job of resolving this functionality with the rumored "donut screen" free form display in a way that seems much less expensive and much more functional than what we initially would have thought.

As in, it seems like a pretty Nintendo-like innovation. You might be on to something if these screens can be relatively cheap!
Out of the patents that have been made public the one that concerns the way to register button press has potential.

It has so many advanatages and one very key aspect is the one related to reducing the cost of components and simplifying the control internals. This is something a company like Nintendo would like to implement as soon as posible.

The "kind of downside" this patent has in comparison to say... the use of a Free Form Screens, is that is something harder for marketing to show of, as it is not as flashy or impressive to the main stream user.

Also the button related patent is one that seems to fit with the rumors we have already, since those mention more traditional button layouts on the device. This patent, has the added benefit of facilitating the inclusion of the shoulder wheels in a more reliable and lower cost way. This is a feature that seems quite desirable at least in this message board.

Edit: The post got separated, pasting this in case it might be of interest.

The rumor is probably talking about linear actuators, those can be had for reasonable prices. So it's inclusion in the NX is pretty safe at least in terms of costs.

As a personal wish i would really like for Nintendo to continue using speakers as supplemenary feedback and 3D local sound. While the number of games that supported this feature dramatically decreased in relation to the Wii, the latest Star Fox is a noteworthy case of what the idea of using speakers closer to the user can add to a game.

Interestingly, speakers have increased in performance in relation to size. i wonder how plausible would it be to use a speaker as a way to provide vibration to a controller. Yes, im aware there are companies putting speakers in our butts, but it would be interesting to see how far the idea could be taken in a videogames controller.

Another use for the speaker i' ve mentioned in various occassions is for controllers that rely on Virtual Elements, like buttons in a touch screen, to simulate a realistic sound of pressing an actual physical button.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If it involves further software licensing, even keeping it in the hardware is no assurance it will be capable. See Wii DVD drive not playing DVDs without home-brew, Wii U single layer blu ray drive not playing blu rays.

It wouldn't involve licensing beyond the IP licensing for the chip itself. If they're making a custom chip, it would be cheaper to not include them or replace them with 1080p hardware. I'd think that they'd likely at least want a decoder either way, and may want to have an encoder if they want to have things like Twitch functionality or something to help with YouTube clip sharing.

Is there even a smidgen of a chance Nintendo will use TGS to announce? It just doesn't seem likely to me.

Zero at TGS itself, as they're not there, but they could announce something on/by Wednesday. We can probably rule that out if we don't hear anything tomorrow, though, and I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom