• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

Alright Im done with believing these rumors lol. How you gonna have a share button on a handheld lol? Be at home in wifi? Why not just play on the console.

It's like some of you continue to ignore the EG report that NX is meant to be both a handheld and home console device.

And yes, I'm sure plenty will play the handheld component at home. People do this now. All the time. Not to mention WiFi hotspots are everywhere.

Jackano

Thinking about this, the device itself will probably have a SD slot, but what about the dock? Would you want to see a full SATA HDD casing on the dock, or the USB ports are just fine?

Moofers

A share button, huh?

Does this mean Nintendo is going to beef up the staff for their department that issues DMCA takedowns on YouTube?

People here were really expecting Nintendo to put like a terabyte of flash in this thing lol.

32GB is about where they get the best deal in terms of cost per GB. Putting in more would end up forcing them to increase the price, and then you guys would complain that it's too expensive.

I feel like people care more about huge numbers than practicality. Maybe Nintendo should just put out a $600 portable with a 4k screen and 1TB SSD in both the main unit and the dock. Bigger numbers, y'all.

Yup. Expectations are wildly out of control for a primarily handheld device.

This is just like when a lot of us were thinking the screen could be 540p, the rumor drops that it's 720p, and everyone comes in with, "my phone has a 4k screen, Nintendo being Nintendo" etc.

It's frankly fascinating.

timberger

Would be good choices on both. N3DS XL d-pad was one of Nintendo's worst yet, so anything they can do to improve on that is a damn necessity.

Guessing their version of the Share button will be a 'Miiverse' button or some shit. Which is something the Wii U really should have had imo.

Just need to see what kind of analogue stick situation NX is working with now.

Z3M0G

Why would they split the Dpad? What would be the benefit?

Nintendo owns the pattent on the greatest d-pad ever and they decide to do fuck all with it after like 25 years of constant use? Not buying it.

This was exactly my thinking... they are the only company allowed to do the Dpad the way they do, and it is arguably the best form. I can't see them ever getting rid of that without getting rid of that as long as they choose to include a Dpad.

Can't you save games on the Cloud? Isn't Nintendo supposed to have some sort of Cloud? Maybe games can be stored in there and that's like unlimited space or Nintendo charges for a certain amount of space? Not sure just asking.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can buy a 128GB micro SD for less than 40€ so I don't think that will be an issue if the game are WiiU sized.

It's like some of you continue to ignore the EG report that NX is meant to be both a handheld and home console device.

And yes, I'm sure plenty will play the handheld component at home. People do this now. All the time. Not to mention WiFi hotspots are everywhere.
Yet the only rumor we hear of the dock is that its a dock for hdmi..

Thas esentially a handheld with hdmi out

Calm Mind

gaga-side-eye.gif

Nintendo pls :(

PopGAF wannabe plz!

Yup. Expectations are wildly out of control for a primarily handheld device.

This is just like when a lot of us were thinking the screen could be 540p, the rumor drops that it's 720p, and everyone comes in with, "my phone has a 4k screen, Nintendo being Nintendo" etc.

It's frankly fascinating.

My phone actually does have a 4K screen though :(

Not that it matters for NX at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

As long as it posts to the TV, its still considered a home console, especially if you detach the controllers and use them like a traditional console unit.

People are hating too much on the NX and acting like Nintendo are incompetent, they have tested this thing to hell and back and are surely aware of their own product. If they come out and say its a handheld and console hybrid, i don't want anyone to be saying they are wrong based on technicalities

Why would they split the Dpad? What would be the benefit?

This was exactly my thinking... they are the only company allowed to do the Dpad the way they do, and it is arguably the best form. I can't see them ever getting rid of that without getting rid of that as long as they choose to include a Dpad.

The patent expired over 10 years ago, so anyone is free to use that design.

The reasoning for splitting the Dpad has been extensively discussed in this very thread. The major benefit is that both detachable controllers will have all of the same inputs- the split Dpad buttons act as abxy face buttons when the controllers are detached.

Sendou

Share button sounds like they're just going all in with Miiverse which makes sense. One of the best things to come out of Wii U I think.

I have faith in Nintendo's ability to make great D-pads. There's some great split D-pads out there. In fact I think I like Vita's D-pad more than let's say 3DS XL's.

32GB seems reasonable as long as I can expand it with standard memory cards.

spekkeh

Banned
This isn't 2001 any more. Free Wifi is everywhere, tethering exists, and microSD cards are a thing that exists in large capacities.

And people say Nintendo are the ones behind the times...
We heard the same thing when they released Wii U, only that oops you can't actually play games from the SD card. Just a cost cutting measure. It's a damn hassle with save games too. It took Samsung years to enable games on SD cards and I believe it's still a half implementation. Nintendo's software engineers are not at the same level as Samsung's.

MCN

Banned
It took Samsung years to enable games on SD cards and I believe it's still a half implementation. Nintendo's software engineers are not at the same level as Samsung's.

Unless NX runs Android, this is literally meaningless.

By the way, Google make Android, not Samsung.

What handhelds have you been playing with detachable controllers? This thing is clearly being created to serve both audiences.

It's also odd to see you go from "guys I was right! It's a hybrid" in the past to "it's just a handheld" now.

georly

We heard the same thing when they released Wii U, only that oops you can't actually play games from the SD card. Just a cost cutting measure. It's a damn hassle with save games too. It took Samsung years to enable games on SD cards and I believe it's still a half implementation. Nintendo's software engineers are not at the same level as Samsung's.

Wii U is basically 'external HDD required' if you're going digital on it.

I presume this will both require micro SD for handheld and allow external HDD for docked mode (for your at-home library, if you have one)

Rodin

We heard the same thing when they released Wii U, only that oops you can't actually play games from the SD card. Just a cost cutting measure. It's a damn hassle with save games too.
This is a device that functions as a handheld too, of course you'll be able to play games from the SD Card. Or do you think you're going to play with an external HDD hanging from the connected USB cable when you run out of space?

It's a damn hassle with save games too.
On Nintendo systems that use game cards, saves are usually stored on the game card itself.

It took Samsung years to enable games on SD cards and I believe it's still a half implementation. Nintendo's software engineers are not at the same level as Samsung's.
Every now and then i hear this absurd "company x engineers aren't on par with company y's" argument around here. Do you personally know them?

Volotaire

I hope they go for 64GB internal but I can understand if they don't due to cost issues on flash storage. It's a standard the phone market are moving towards and would be the minimum capacity I would be pleased with in a portable device. 128GB is still a very expensive capacity/option in smartphones.

Wishful/never going to happen thinking: add support for UFS cards as well as SD cards. SD read/write speeds are quite slow.

spekkeh

Banned
This is a device that functions as a handheld too, of course you'll be able to play games from the SD Card. Or do you think you're going to play with an external HDD hanging from the connected USB cable when you run out of space?

On Nintendo systems that use game cards, saves are usually stored on the game card itself.
It's a fair point, but why couldn't they get it to work on their Wii U, even if they said that they didn't include a big HDD, because flash storage evolved quicker than HDDs. Even if it's not a system limitation, I very much doubt they'd let any unsigned SD card with executables near its OS.
Every now and then i hear this absurd "company x engineers aren't on par with company y's" argument around here. Do you personally know them?
No but, have you used the Wii U OS?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the NX dock does have USB ports and that the 32g flash storage is in the NX tablet:

If I have an external HDD connected to the dock and have a large library of digital games, would I have to copy/delete software to and fro the dock/tablet for on-the-go life? Hmm . . .

Have you heard of a 3DS?

LordOfChaos

32GB flash on the handheld or the dock?

For on the go that's fine for saves as games are on carts, and you could add more storage presumably with SD...But I hope the dock has a fricking hard drive, about time Nintendo.

ozfunghi

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the NX dock does have USB ports and that the 32g flash storage is in the NX tablet:

If I have an external HDD connected to the dock and have a large library of digital games, would I have to copy/delete software to and fro the dock/tablet for on-the-go life? Hmm . . .

If the dock can copy games to an internal memory (or external via USB) that'd be great. But something what i would really like to see as well, is multiple gamecard slots. So you can just plug in three or four gamecards and choose which game you want to play without having to swap cards.

For on the go that's fine for saves as games are on carts, and you could add more storage presumably with SD...But I hope the dock has a fricking hard drive, about time Nintendo.

I kind of hope it doesn't a hard drive. Just give me the option to use an external one and I'm all set. If you're going physical, 32 gigs will be enough and if you're going all digital or a mix of both, whatever size HDD they provide won't cut it.

If the dock can copy games to an internal memory (or external via USB) that'd be great. But something what i would really like to see as well, is multiple gamecard slots. So you can just plug in three or four gamecards and choose which game you want to play without having to swap cards.

Oh, I'd love this.

fernoca

It all just sounds too much at once. And you put 32GB in it... cant even use the feature out of the box properly

edit: So yall saying NX gonna be able to connect to mobile data? lol
Nope, used it as example of how portable devices are able to "share stuff". :p

32GB is more than enough for quick clips, so it cam "perform" it properly. I usually record up to 30 secs clips of PS4 games, and that around 100MB.

The NX patents mentioned recording clips whenever you got an achievement of sorts, which if implemented would be 30 secs at most too.

The 3DS (from Nintendo) runs nearly everything from SD Cards, all digital purchases are stores in the SD Card and to upgrade you just copy-paste the contents to a new one.

Wii U SD slot was there for the Wii side of things, but it let you use any USB storage from day one.

rekameohs

Banned
As nice as that would be, I just frankly can't see how they'd make that aesthetically pleasing to look at at all.

I would bet that if the dock has any sort of computing components, even a very basic CPU then it would need to have some amount of storage space for firmware/OS updates. I would think Nintendo would be able to get a cheap HDD in the dock, the amount of storage though will depend on how much they want this whole package to cost.

Yeah I was imagining this when the first leak came out... that would be a pretty good solution while keeping the device low priced.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's a handheld and uses cartridges so I am fine with this.

For a handheld 32gB internal storage would actually be a lot. But you just know games will be larger than on the 3DS, so that 32gB won't last that long if you're into downloadable titles

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
32 GB for a handheld is inline with pretty much all other mobile offerings right now. I have zero problem with it.

Why would they split the Dpad? What would be the benefit?.
If you're going to use the detachable controllers as something akin to a sideways Wiimote for multiplayer you'll need for them to work more as buttons.
Gunpei Yokoi's Wonder Swan did this as it allowed for portrait and landscape view
wonderswan_color.jpg

What handhelds have you been playing with detachable controllers? This thing is clearly being created to serve both audiences.

It's also odd to see you go from "guys I was right! It's a hybrid" in the past to "it's just a handheld" now.
Its still a hybrid and im still right. I can say both. Get off meh

Top Bottom