• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Emily posted an article with a recap of NX hardware details. https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/recap-of-nx-hardware-details/

A mockup posted in it:
nbCErLk.jpg

More in the link.

Region free would be amazing to see.

Holy shit nobody every said it would be region free too. This is the Nintendo I know. Backs against the wall they'll come out swinging.

It was tong in cheeck because of the many overreactions. I'm quite confident nintendo can make a good alternative to a normal dpad. I've used the PS3/4 one for years without ever feeling like my games controlled any less fluent.
Have you ever played a 2d Mario game with a PS dpad? I have. It is absolutely the trashiest of trashtastic ways to play those games. Of course the split dpad is fine for some types of games, but not Nintendo games imo.

Of course, if there was ever a company that could make it work, it'd probably be Nintendo. So who knows. All just conjecture at this point.

ggx2ac

It seems there is a conflict of information regarding the position of the right stick. One source says it's above, the other says it's below the face buttons.

Edit: typo

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Never touched a dev kit in my life so keep that in mind but how can one be "region free", you don't use them to play retail games,right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I surely hope it is region free. Just seeing all these discussions in the Direct thread about localization and release dates of games released last century in Japan makes me cringe.

Region free is a plus, multi touch is a negative (T____T) Nintendo please just give me two screens ;___; I don't think I can hand losing the second screen...might lose my marbles.

ggx2ac

Never touched a dev kit in my life so keep that in mind but how can one be "region free", you don't use them to play retail games,right?

It could be related to the Software in the SDK. I really don't know though. Someone else could explain this properly if it does make sense.

I mean... wouldn't that mean you need 3 dev kits if you were releasing games in the US/Europe/Japan?

Edit:
What if it can be both?

Oh yeah, that's right because I said on post #51 about if it was possible to be able to reposition the controller to change the position of the buttons or sticks.

Yeah, the sticks can probably change around.

There's still no talk about SCD or anything more about the dock though.

I really hope Nintendo has this as a secret and on lockdown to reveal when they're ready.

EVH

Looking at how Nintendo always has a massive lack of western support, making it region free would mean they can avoid months without games, allowing to play weaboo shit from japan.

Not that i'm interested tbh, but i guess people will like it.

Tbh, region free might be the most impactful news for NX. So now you can buy games from other regions that don't come to your territory.

I'm more interested in finding out whether it's region free for digital content. Currently the best model seems to be iOS, which doesn't tie your Apple ID to every service on the device.

Instead you can sign out of the App Store, retain your primary Apple ID for iMessage, iCloud etc., but sign into the App Store using a different Apple ID from a different region, purchase and download content from iBooks, Music, App Store, then sign back into your primary account and have no restrictions on how you use that content. You can also change the country your primary account is associated with, if you can prove it with a billing address.

Given the way games are distributed nowadays you're going to miss out much more on Japan-only digital titles than physical games. But on the other hand, Nintendo is the most forward thinking out of the big three in terms of making it as easy as possible to publish games worldwide: the eShop supports the IARC ratings system, which lets developers generate a bunch of worldwide ratings for a digital game free of charge. But currently it doesn't support Japan's CERO. But NCL is gradually lowering barriers to entry for Japanese developers too - something which happened just in time for Bitsummit this year.

That would be nice. Xbox One also does a great job in terms of making sure there's only one SKU for games across all regions, from what I gather.

ggx2ac

What if it can be both?

Hold on a minute. The other problem I am seeing is her illustration showing the two NX side by side with the different positions of the sticks. If this was correct, why is the home button positioned in the same place at the bottom left?

Hmm... It can't be a button you can customise or remove. So either you can replace the stick/buttons like in that one patent or you can attach the detachable controllers on either side but it gives the problem about the positioning of that Home button.

Nobody has really talked about how this NX will impact gameplay for games designed for NX.

Does this mean now games will have a 2-player mode a lot more??

BD1

Banned
Please no more circle pads nintendo, they are terrible at recognizing any subtle movements. And could you put out an ergonomic portable for once, trying to play mario kart 7 with the 3ds's shoulder buttons was an excruciating experience

Listen, I don't disagree with your preference of analog sticks versus circle pads, but we don't need to presume Nintendo wouldn't improve the circle pads on new generation hardware.

It's not like the Wii U sticks are the same as the N64 analog stick. Nintendo iterates and improves over time, the circle pads could improve.

J@hranimo

Banned
That blog post she made is intriguing. Not sure why dev kits wouldn't be region free but hey it's all in good news if in the final kits!

We just need to hear how it functions like a console...and we're good.

random edit: Why the hell are people freaking out over the dpad? "I dun like change!!!" It's getting ridiculous.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm more interested in finding out whether it's region free for digital content. Currently the best model seems to be iOS, which doesn't tie your Apple ID to every service on the device.

Instead you can sign out of the App Store, retain your primary Apple ID for iMessage, iCloud etc., but sign into the App Store using a different Apple ID from a different region, purchase and download content from iBooks, Music, App Store, then sign back into your primary account and have no restrictions on how you use that content. You can also change the country your primary account is associated with, if you can prove it with a billing address.

Given the way games are distributed nowadays you're going to miss out much more on Japan-only digital titles than physical games. But on the other hand, Nintendo is the most forward thinking out of the big three in terms of making it as easy as possible to publish games worldwide: the eShop supports the IARC ratings system, which lets developers generate a bunch of worldwide ratings for a digital game free of charge. But currently it doesn't support Japan's CERO. But NCL is gradually lowering barriers to entry for Japanese developers too - something which happened just in time for Bitsummit this year.

That would be nice. Xbox One also does a great job in terms of making sure there's only one SKU for games across all regions, from what I gather.

From a business perspective, the smartest thing Nintendo could do is charge a subscription fee to access a region-free eShop. I know people would hate that, but the people who would actually use it are in the minority so it really makes sense to squeeze a few bucks from them. I'm combine it with a VC On Demand service and charge $40-50 a year for the whole package.

E-phonk

Banned
It could be related to the Software in the SDK. I really don't know though. Someone else could explain this properly if it does make sense.
It's possible you need to sign your software per region through a unique API key, and that the NX SDK/manual doesn't mention the different regions or requires only one key - that would make a developer assume there are no different regions.

Dr. Buni

Please no more circle pads nintendo, they are terrible at recognizing any subtle movements. And could you put out an ergonomic portable for once, trying to play mario kart 7 with the 3ds's shoulder buttons was an excruciating experience
I like the circle pad ._. Though something like the Vita's analog stick would be far better, love that stick.

What's this hate for split D-Pad & why are people always comparing it to ds4's one. Split D-Pad has been a mark of every single PS remote & as a fighting game player, when I got to use xbox-s ridiculous dpad, i couldnt play any fighting game at all. Tried MANY different controllers & they were all shite!the pad itself jusy couldn't register downback or downforward & would like get stuck literally, thus fuck up my gameplay (that sf4 ranked matches rage). Still rocking my 16 YEAR OLD psx white controller. I should put it in a museum or smth.

SystemUser

I mean... wouldn't that mean you need 3 dev kits if you were releasing games in the US/Europe/Japan?

Edit:

Oh yeah, that's right because I said on post #51 about if it was possible to be able to reposition the controller to change the position of the buttons or sticks.

Devkits can usually be flashed to different regions to run software for the desired region. It is a common practice among dev groups to flash the SDK/firmware to wipe the system for each new build. Flashing the kit to a different region isn't a big issue since it is common to flash every between every build.

I wonder how that d-pad feels. Sony uses a d-pad that is externally split, but it is a solid piece under the casing. The NX d-pad looks like a Super Tingle Popo controller so that the d-pad can serve double duty as four face buttons. A separated d-pad seems like it would make it easier to send bad inputs while performing fighting game moves.

rekameohs

Banned
What's this hate for split D-Pad & why are people always comparing it to ds4's one. Split D-Pad has been a mark of every single PS remote & as a fighting game player, when I got to use xbox-s ridiculous dpad, i couldnt play any fighting game at all. Tried MANY different controllers & they were all shite!the pad itself jusy couldn't register downback or downforward & would like get stuck literally, thus fuck up my gameplay (that sf4 ranked matches rage). Still rocking my 16 YEAR OLD psx white controller. I should put it in a museum or smth.
PlayStation doesn't have separate buttons for its D-Pad though. It's still just one stick. The rumor is that this isn't.

Randomizer

The only reasons I can see for a broken up D-Pad is if it somehow saves space in their new, detachable controllers. Or their new IR patented control system is being used and it requires it to be this way to work correctly or more accurately. Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to change their iconic design.

Top Bottom