• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

MrV4ltor

Handheld in 2016
Console in 2017

Or the other way around. But this makes the most sense to me given Japan is the most crucial region for them and waiting too long is a risk. Many of Nintendo's teams should also have games closed to finished by now going by dev cycles.

Just compare the Wii U and 3DS line-ups for this year and you'll know which one will really release first.

Nintendo needs to start the NX conversation soon if they want it to be in their own terms! Otherwise by the time they come around half of the details will have leaked and the other half will be so full of inaccuracies that Nintendo will be in a tough situation when having to come clear!

Give us something, Nintendo.

FelipeMGM

Cant Nintendo just release some fucking info on this thing so we can end the thousands of clueless speculation threads over the internet? Im kinda sick of it

I wonder if they're going to another direct for in March for the launch of Miitomo and MyNintendo. I could see them possibly mentioning the NX there... but it's unlikely.

Hold on...I'm pretty sure Wii was incredibly hard to find for several months.
They sold as many Wiis in one year as they sold GameCubes in five years. Nintendo hadn't even producing console hardware for over a year by the time the Wii was in production, and the system ended up being far more successful than they ever expected.

They went from their then all-time worst selling console straight into what can only be described as a massive craze. Of course it was hard for them to meet demand.

Ansatz

Just compare the Wii U and 3DS line-ups for this year and you'll know which one will really release first.

I honestly can't tell, what do you have in mind?

The thing is NX is supposed to merge the two platforms so it's possible that differentiating between handheld and console games is meaningless, they're just games that work on both formats.

NateDrake

Given the leaks we got from Trev (namely Zelda U's cross-gen release & the Wii U's line-up being barren), the NX Console likely will be out the door first.....at least in North America.

NX Console - 2016 in NA/PAL, early 2017 in Japan
NX Handheld - 2016 in Japan, early 2017 NA/PAL

This setup makes the most sense to me.

Nintendo's requirements from Foxconn wouldn't even be a blip for their earnings. Foxconn supplies 50-70% of iPhone components.

The Apple iPhone is expected to sell over 300 MILLION UNITS in 2016.

300 MILLION.

the NX, at best, will be 10m in the first year. That's insanely optimistic too, considering the Wii U has sold something like 12m in 4 years.

Foxconn also works on iPads, ps4, xbox one, Kindle, Vizion, and many other tech products. They have over 15 factories in China and employee at least 500,000 people.

Nintendo has never created a shortage situation.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was notoriously impossible to find in the months following its release due to alleged "chip shortages" that many people suspected was demand manipulation.

Amiibo.

Wii was hard to find and most definitely under-supplied for a good portion of its first 3 years on the market in North America, while demand was easily satisfied in other regions with better unit->yen exchange rates (see: Europe).

Whether it's accidental or deliberate, Nintendo has definitely created shortage situations.

Neoxon

To be fair, looking at what we know about some of the major games coming to the 3DS (or at least games from Nintendo).
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force (genuine effort from Next Level Games)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (usual drill to tie in with the Olympics, developed by a third party)
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot (based on the Triple Deluxe engine)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (late localization)
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon (genuine effort, though Game Freak usually likes to do overtime on older hardware)
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends (developed by a third party)
  • Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge (likely based on the Mario vs. Donkey Kong engine, way on the lower-budget side)
With a few exceptions, most of this are either just padding or late localizations. Nintendo internally isn't putting a lot of effort towards the 3DS this year, but everyone else is doing an excellent job with picking up the slack.

Papacheeks

Banned
NX Consoles - 2016 in NA/PAL, early 2017 in Japan
NX Handheld - 2016 in Japan, early 2017 NA/PAL

This setup makes the most sense to me.

This ^

Makes the most business sense.

Home consoles sell in NA/PAL more than Japan. But Japan sells more hand helds than NA/PAL.

I see this as to why Nintendo direct had SNES for N3DS to help pad the time before new hand held arrived in late fall in Japan.

I need NX INFO!!!!!

MrV4ltor

I honestly can't tell, what do you have in mind?

The thing is NX is supposed to merge the two platforms so it's possible that differentiating between handheld and console games is meaningless, they're just games that work on both formats.

Clue: It's the one that only has 2 major games for the 2nd half of the year. It also starts with a W.

This ^

Makes the most business sense.

Home consoles sell in NA/PAL more than Japan. But Japan sells more hand helds than NA/PAL.

I see this as to why Nintendo direct had SNES for N3DS to help pad the time before new hand held arrived in late fall in Japan.

I need NX INFO!!!!!

This would be HOT

And if NX is region free......

NateDrake

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was notoriously impossible to find in the months following its release due to alleged "chip shortages" that many people suspected was demand manipulation.

Amiibo.

Wii was hard to find and most definitely under-supplied for a good portion of its first 3 years on the market in North America, while demand was easily satisfied in other regions with better unit->yen exchange rates (see: Europe).

Whether it's accidental or deliberate, Nintendo has definitely created shortage situations.

Wii was moving 400k a month in the US and selling out completely at the time. They stocked the system and it sold. It wasn't them creating an artificial shortage.

amiibo seemed more to be a complete misread of the market and popularity potential.

liquidtmd

Banned
Two hundred NX machines to be produced and sold in 2016. Nintendo says demand is greatest in history. Stores sell out in 0.1 seconds. Mass hysteria.

Rodin

Trev's source said NX home in 2016 with Zelda and NX portable in early 2017, why are we still questioning it?

Neoxon

You're 100% wrong about the 3DS. They have tons of great stuff coming. Whether or not what's there appeals to you is a different story.
Most of which are either late localizations, third party games, games based on pre-existing engines, or the two or so genuine exceptions (Fed. Force & Hyrule Warriors, neither of which were developed by Nintendo internally). Sun/Moon may be based on the X/Y engine, but it's hard to be sure until we see actual gameplay. It's a solid line-up, but mostly because Nintendo had a ton of games in reserve that haven't made it to the West & that third parties are helping to pick up the slack.

Most of which are either late localizations, third party games, games based on pre-existing engines, or the two or so genuine exceptions (Fed. Force & Hyrule Warriors, neither of which were developed by Nintendo internally). Sun/Moon may be based on the X/Y engine, but it's hard to be sure until we see actual gameplay. It's a solid line-up, but mostly because Nintendo had a ton of games in reserve that haven't made it to the West & that third parties are helping to pick up the slack.

I want the 3DS to die as soon as possible but their portables do well enough that they can be phased out painstakingly slow

So whatever

Banned
Judging by the Nintendo Direct yesterday it looks like Nintendo has a bunch of Wii U games up their sleeve for the remainder of 2016, so I think they could feasibly go one more holiday with the Wii U and make it a full 5-year console lifespan per the usual.

2017 is where things will likely start to get more and more barren in the leadup to the NX launch late in the year.
We didn't watch the same direct I guess.

Papacheeks

Banned
Trev's source said NX home in 2016 with Zelda and NX portable in early 2017, why are we still questioning it?

He wasn't specific on what region get's what first. It was vague.

ANd what me and other's believe that Nintendo will prioritise per region where sales are strongest for each platform.

So since NA/PAL are strong for home console more than Japan where do you think home console will release first?

It's s a staggered release much like what SOny and xbox did. You play to what ever region will sell the best first upfront. And Japan doesn't have a black Friday where people literally god nutts over gaming systems.

Makes sense to launch home console first in NA/PAL in 2016, then have Japan have the hand held at same time since it's stronger for those types of sales. Look at how long there was of a wait for NA/PAL to get N3DS? Japan got it first by 6-8 months.

They will use same tactics for NX.

Like, what?

This is purely off the top of my head. I'm likely missing downloadables and other more nice things.

3DS in 2016:

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Final Fantasy Explorers
Project X Zone 2
Fire Emblem Fates
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Bravely Second
Monster Hunter Generations
Dragon Quest 7
Dragon Quest 8
Ace Attorney 6
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Style Savvy 3 -- for those that enjoy the series

As much as I want the NX Handheld, it's looking more and more like we're getting the console this year. Wii U is barren. I hope that I'm wrong.

This is purely off the top of my head. I'm likely missing downloadables and other more nice things.

3DS in 2016:

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Final Fantasy Explorers
Project X Zone 2
Fire Emblem Fates
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Bravely Second
Monster Hunter Generations
Dragon Quest 7
Dragon Quest 8
Ace Attorney 6
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Style Savvy 3 -- for those that enjoy the series

Yeah it seems like they have every intention of letting 3DS run one more year

At least in North America

It looks like those leaks are fucking spot on so far

Qwark

Sounds like holiday 2016 is almost completely off the table.

2017 it is.

What? sounds the opposite to me.

Expecting Holiday 2016.

I don't know how you can positively assert that. We don't even know if they're doing most of it or just a single component of it. They're going to be busy in the second half of 2016, that's literally all we know from this. This doesn't really change the 2016/2017 debate at all.

doop_

Banned
History?, I mean look at every other major console launch, at this point in the year we should have a pretty clear picture of what the console is, instead we know absolutely nothing, not even your usual UbiSoft leak lol, it's not happening.
Dude look though, all the signs are pointing to some form of the NX launching this year. At this point I don't even have to bring up the Trev Leaks.

Top Bottom