• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

report: Wii HD in 2011 with 'significant' graphical overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linkified said:
And Wiiware do we know how any of those sold? because the installation base might be there but I seriously doubt anybody are buying them.
WiiWare offers better royalties though, at least enough for it to be more profitable on WiiWare than XBLA.

durendal

gerg said:
I agree that there probably exists around one or two million (maybe three million?) of these 18-35 male gamers on the Wii, but due to their values (and how the Xbox 360 panders to them whereas the Wii does not), such a demographic would never have become a significant presence within the Wii's audience. I find it hard to believe that such gamers value motion controls that much at the moment, and when there's competing consoles that bolster much greater visual fidelity (and online infrastructure, although Nintendo could have changed that quite easily), I can't think of a reason why these gamers would choose a Wii version of any FPS or action adventure game, and so on, over an HD version.

Have you ever played a Wii FPS?

Controls would be one reason. Why did 1 million people buy World at War on the Wii when there were HD versions?

Tf53

durendal said:

Controls would be one reason. Why did 1 million people buy World at War on the Wii when there were HD versions?
With Wii's install base, I'd hazard a guess that a great deal of those people don't own an HD console.

gerg

durendal said:

I'm not saying that there would be literally no people who would by an FPS on the Wii. I imagine that those who bought CoD WaW for the Wii did so because they valued the interface of the Wii Remote, and perhaps the extra precision it offered. (I'd also suggest that such gamers are also interested in light gun games.) However, I think it's quite clear that if precision were such a big deal for this demographic we'd see a lot more PC copies of CoD sold, and that we don't would suggest that precision is not a big deal for most 18-35 male gamers. As a result, the only unique feature to the Wii version of CoD would be in the relative ease of playing with motion controls, something probably quite insignificant to gamers to whom the traditional gamepad poses no difficulty. Hence my conclusion that there's little market for these games on the Wii when there are consoles such as the 360 and the PS3 posing stiff competition.

jrricky

Banned
Linkified said:
And Wiiware do we know how any of those sold? because the installation base might be there but I seriously doubt anybody are buying them.
Wat kind of shit thinking is this? If its cheaper to develop for, easier to make a profit and have more royalties, then does it matter?

Spouting nonsense like this doesnt help your statement...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mutantmagnet said:
I'm not laughing but I think what they've presented so far is stupid. The finger isn't the best part of the body to be measuring internal activity.

Secondly if they had chosen something else, theoretically they could've made a secondary controller that replaces the nunchuk. As I said it's only a theory because the current methods so far have proven to be too difficult to use making it a step backward from what they did with the Wiimote and analog stick. Also it would possibly be too expensive.

Thirdly software matters too much. People buy consoles for the games more so than anything else. If you can't create a compelling experience that requires internal measurements of the player's state than do something else.

Wow. This brings me back. Now when did I write what you quoted? :lol

Thanks by the way, this allowed me to notice one big mistake that I made twice in the same post: I talked about "disrupting the market" which makes no sense to me (the market isn't the target of a disruption, and I don't see the VS and its software changing the value so much as creating new, additional value to the Wii).

You seem to know about the kind of tech found in the Vitality Sensor. Could you provide us with more information on the subject? It never occurred to me that it could prove expensive to make, or that it would be less than ideal in its current form, so I'm interested in learning more about it.

That said, Nintendo isn't known for going for expensive tech, nor does it aim for the top when it comes to technology. It's all about being good enough. As for the software, I'm glad we agree: it's king. Which is why we can't say that the VS is stupid or brilliant just yet. It will live or die by its software, and we only have a vague idea of what Nintendo will make. The tech being limited isn't enough to guarantee that the VS software won't be compelling.

Linkified

jrricky said:
Wat kind of shit thinking is this? If its cheaper to develop for, easier to make a profit and have more royalties, then does it matter?

Just interested, thats all.

jrricky said:

Errr, well, even if something costs 0 to make and has fabulous royalties, someone still has to buy it for the company to come out ahead. Of course it matters. We really don't have a clue how things sell, though.

Tf53 said:
With Wii's install base, I'd hazard a guess that a great deal of those people don't own an HD console.

no hazard there....slam dunk assumption. I'm gonna guess 99% of the people who bought it on Wii did not buy it over the 360/PS3 version.

camineet

Banned
bump :D
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39363/Ana...n=Feed:+mcvuk/oXMK+(MCV:+games+industry+news)

Analyst expects Wii 2 in 2011

Nintendo’s official unveiling of its brand new 3DS handheld will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of next week’s E3, but could Nintendo be planning a truly unexpected show-stealing surprise?

In his summary document for the LA event, Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian claims:

“We note that Nintendo is widely expected to deliver a Wii refresh in 2011, well before Sony and Microsoft come to market with new platforms
, although this is unlikely to represent the launch of a new generation.

“Instead, we expect Microsoft and Sony to leverage their growing online content and services platforms, along with new motion sensing controllers, and to a lesser extent 3D and Internet-enabled televisions, as three pillars for growth over the coming 2-3 years.”

Personally i believe Wii 2 / Wii HD / next Nintendo home console will arrive in 2012.. I think Dragon Quest 10 will arrive in 2011 and that won't allow for a new Nintendo console that year, since DQX has to drive Wii sales up. Plus the focus will be on 3DS which might not arrive until early 2011 anyway (though likely late 2010)... Still, 5 years is enough for Wii so who knows.

camineet

Banned
WiiHiFi_MAV_01.jpg

•It should be on par with the 360
•It should not be called Wii 2 but Wii HiFi
•It will be very online-oriented this time
•Community aspects will be a big component
•It should be out around November 2011

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397945

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom