• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 4 [Fox Business] Kapow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcander

MDtUZme.jpg

That can't be real, but if it is, holy shit, it'll be used on the internet over & over forever.

You can't possibly think this is real...?

Anyway. I can't stand Carly. Just listening to the thing while working, good lord.

Also rubio comes off way worse from just listening than watching, IMO.

User1608

Banned
Overall, Rubio did well and the best barring a couple gaffes. Jeb is absolutely done. Cruz will continue carving a solid niche and Trump, Carson will stay ahead. Everybody else isn't even a factor at this point.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This is the first one of these I've watched in its entirety. Do people watch these sober? How? Are you gods?

I'm about 11 beers and a half bottle of wine deep. My fault for drinking every time they brought up hillary.

Been drinking so much I'm going to have alcohol withdrawals tomorrow instead of a hangover.

Who said we're sober?

I will totally drive over with booze to watch the debate w/ you next time.

Doesn't it end it August?

Ah, I see. This may be your first primary.

unlike the general, the primary goes in waves, sorta- with the first states in Feb (Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina) being the most important, followed by a slew of super tuesday states on March 1st (AL, ,AK, AR, CO, GA, MA, MN, OK, TN, TX, VT, VA) generally putting the nail in the coffins of straggling campaigns.

Everything after this is basically irrelevant. whoever is the frontrunner by the time the first states are done and possibly super tuesday hits will have an insurmountable lead- volunteers and funding tend to dry up as losses and wins rack up.

it NEVER goes all the way to the final tier of states- those are virtually always irrelevant. Rubio doesn't have till august to unseat carson and trump, he has until February.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Jeb has the temperament of a guy who has done a really good job running your operation for you, but then you decide to take him on a sales trip and put him in front of the customers and he just bombs. The guy is just not in his comfort zone trying to butt in and "zing" people.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Anyway. I can't stand Carly. Just listening to the thing while working, good lord.

Really? You think talking about Battletoads is suddenly out of the question for Carson?

Ape

Banned
Ah, I see. This may be your first primary.

unlike the general, the primary goes in waves, sorta- with the first states in Feb (Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina) being the most important, followed by a slew of super tuesday states on March 1st (AL, ,AK, AR, CO, GA, MA, MN, OK, TN, TX, VT, VA) generally putting the nail in the coffins of straggling campaigns.

Everything after this is basically irrelevant. whoever is the frontrunner by the time the first states are done and possibly super tuesday hits will have an insurmountable lead- volunteers and funding tend to dry up as losses and wins rack up.

it NEVER goes all the way to the final tier of states- those are virtually always irrelevant. Rubio doesn't have till august to unseat carson and trump, he has until February.

Ohh I see. So Feb and March.

I sort of remember the last one with Santorum doing well. This makes more sense.

danwu

Banned

Yep, Rubio sounds like a high school prep honours student, without any sound policies or ideas for president !

Ohh I see. So Feb and March.

I sort of remember the last one with Santorum doing well. This makes more sense.

Romney had it all but locked up long before santorum started doing well. There were some states that went to him, but he didn't have the funds to compete, and Romney had the endorsement of everyone that mattered and a stack of electoral votes from states he won before that.

It was virtually impossible for Santorum to actually win, he would have had to run the table with zero dollars to speak of.

On the democratic side, Barack Obama actually made it mathematically impossible for hillary to win the nomination as of Super Tuesday. He would have had to literally melted down and taken single digit percentages in all of the remaining states for Hillary to gain more electoral votes. everything after that was basically a dog and pony show for the media to pretend there was a horserace.

Trump right now is in a position where he dominates every state that's not in the bible belt (where carson leads) by double digit margins, AND has enough personal wealth that he doesn't have to concern himself with raising money or having donations dry up. Unlike Cain or Gingrich, Trump also doesn't have any secret skeletons in his closet that voters don't know about that could tank his support. Everything about him is an open book and has been for years. There are no surprises to pull.

This is a REALLY, REALLY difficult position for anyone to unseat him out of.

Ovid

So the immigration program implemented by Eisenhower that Trump keeps referening was called "Operation Wetback"?

Holy crap.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So the immigration program implemented by Eisenhower that Trump keeps referening was called "Operation Wetback"?

Holy crap.

Crazy enough - we did it because the Mexican government was worried about illegal emigration of Mexicans to the United States.

ApharmdX

Banned
Paul did well tonight for the kind of voters that support him. Cruz and Rubio did solid. I can't judge Trump or Carson so I'll abstain. Bush is done.

This is the first one of these I've watched in its entirety. Do people watch these sober? How? Are you gods?

No. My wife and I have watched every GOP debate so far. None sober. I don't think I could get through 30 minutes without a drink.

OuterLimits

I'm seeing alliances forming. Trump and Cruz on immigration. Trump and Paul were the only ones not wanting to start WW3 with Russia.

Rubio did well, but had a few missteps. He meant to say Parent is the most important thing in life but said President by mistake. Other than that, he did well.

Kasich and Jeb were terrible. Fiorina was ok but interrupts everyone.

Carson was passable but not that great.

GnawtyDog

Banned
People still shook by Rubio after how Rand Paul shook him up? If that is dumbie Paul imagine Hillary. Not to mention when Trump kept him low with the kid attacks but Trump is being smart about keeping a lead - that's a major card he can flash around everywhere he goes. Keeping Carson at bay is the first priority for him.

Rand's foreign policy is extremely, hilariously isolationist and a side effect of his ultra libertarian "government shouldn't do anything" ideology, not some kind of genius level insight on foreign policy.

He doesn't want to intervene because it costs money to do so and expands government, not because that particular kind of global intervention is a negative. If children were starving in africa and needed food rand paul would say no for the same reason.

both pauls are joke tier ideologues that dont belong anywhere near elected office.

I'm not saying I agree with him completely, just with many of his points, at least compared to what the others were saying on stage. And just because his reasoning behind his view is questionable doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. Broken clocks and all that.

OuterLimits

I wasn't aware the U.S. deported over a million people in the 50s. I thought for sure Trump was making shit up. It appears he was right though.

Guess I learned something today.

Dragon

Banned
I wasn't aware the U.S. deported over a million people in the 50s. I thought for sure Trump was making shit up. It appears he was right though.

Guess I learned something today.

Probably a reason Trump didn't actually reference the name of the operation either. Even he would balk at that I have a feeling!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Romney had it all but locked up long before santorum started doing well. There were some states that went to him, but he didn't have the funds to compete, and Romney had the endorsement of everyone that mattered and a stack of electoral votes from states he won before that.

It was virtually impossible for Santorum to actually win, he would have had to run the table with zero dollars to speak of.

On the democratic side, Barack Obama actually made it mathematically impossible for hillary to win the nomination as of Super Tuesday. He would have had to literally melted down and taken single digit percentages in all of the remaining states for Hillary to gain more electoral votes. everything after that was basically a dog and pony show for the media to pretend there was a horserace.

Trump right now is in a position where he dominates every state that's not in the bible belt (where carson leads) by double digit margins, AND has enough personal wealth that he doesn't have to concern himself with raising money or having donations dry up. Unlike Cain or Gingrich, Trump also doesn't have any secret skeletons in his closet that voters don't know about that could tank his support. Everything about him is an open book and has been for years. There are no surprises to pull.

Trump doesn't really want to spend his own money on this.

OuterLimits

Probably a reason Trump didn't actually reference the name of the operation either. Even he would balk at that I have a feeling!

Hell, just his stance alone is far right. Yet he is more moderate on many other issues.

Cruz seemed to have his back on immigration. I think he was the only one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump doesn't really want to spend his own money on this.

So far he's had no need to. His fundraising is good and he gets free media due to the press covering every word he says and his knowing how to play the media cycle. He's indicated that he would be willing to spend his own money if it came to it, it's not like he hasn't spend millions of dollars on a failing enterprise before either, but he's no where near that point and no one in the race can drive him there.

weekev

Banned

Yes, everything about him is open book, but hee wants to build a wall between US and Mexico, a fucking giant wall. You know how much of the taxpayers money that will cost? Then rounding up and deporting 11 million migrants.

The Democrats will be doing cartwheelss if Trump, Bush or Carson win the nominations. Their only problem will be prioritising the crazy shit to attack.

OuterLimits

I believe Trump would definitely build the wall. Deportation probably not. Although he would likely go after criminals and try attacking sanctuary cities and stuff. I'm just guessing. Maybe he really would try and deport a ton of people.

I'm not sure why so many of the candidates seem to want to maybe start WW3 with Russia. Trump and Paul where the only ones saying slow the fuck down. Especially Paul.

lenovox1

I wonder what will happen if Rubio tries to go on the offensive to try to take back votes from Carson and Trump? I want to see Trump go into panic mode.

There's a legitimate reason why no one has attempted to wage a serious attack on Trump at this stage in the process. It would be fruitless anyhow. There's a bible proverb that goes, "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him." Or, in plain terms, "Do not argue with an idiot or he will drag you down and beat you with experience."

What's even worse is that Trump isn't stupid or an idiot. He's sharper than Rubio has ever shown himself to be, and I honestly don't know if his team could handle playing the Trump game.

weekev

Banned
I believe Trump would definitely build the wall. Deportation probably not. Although he would likely go after criminals and try attacking sanctuary cities and stuff. I'm just guessing. Maybe he really would try and deport a ton of people.

I'm not sure why so many of the candidates seem to want to maybe start WW3 with Russia. Trump and Paul where the only ones saying slow the fuck down. Especially Paul.
What was the context of the WW3 stuff? Like did they actually say "I want to go to war with Russia"?

danwu

Banned

yep, agree !

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
between world war 3 and deporting 11 million people... i dont know what i'd pick. maybe not world war 3.

Yeah, Trump is less hawkish than many of the Republicans running at the moment.
Sorry immigrants, but if I was forced to vote for a Republican it would probably have to be Trump.

jurgen

I wonder what will happen if Rubio tries to go on the offensive to try to take back votes from Carson and Trump? I want to see Trump go into panic mode.

Rubio's more of an expert counter-puncher than anything else. He's able to turn around almost anything that is thrown at him so I doubt that he really sees the need to go on the offensive against Trump. He's quick in a way that the Republicans haven't had in a long time and honestly reminds me of Obama and Bill Clinton's debating prowess.

The thing is, Trump is a moron, but he's also super quick on his feet and is a "straight shooter" such that if anybody goes after him, he has something prepared to instantly slap them down. Remember when Kasich tried doing the "You guys, Trump or Carson might ACTUALLY win, let's think about this" thing in the last debate, and Trump immediately smacked him down as an overrated governor taking a desperate shot in the dark because he was down in the polls?

If anything, I'd bet that Trump's plan at this point is to prepare a lot of counterattacks for possible barbs thrown against him, knowing that the people who would support him probably don't care if he's weak on policy ("because he's smart enough to appoint good people") and that his best shot is being this straight-talker who holds nothing sacred, politically, and pulls no punches against anybody. Really, he only has another four months he has to hold out, and if all his shit thus far hasn't tanked him, I don't know what will. Rubio's only hope is that pretty much all of the other guys who drop out drop out in time for him to pick up their voters (and even then, are Cruz's supporters really going to vote for Rubio over Trump and/or Carson?).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah, Trump is less hawkish than many of the Republicans running at the moment.
Sorry immigrants, but if I was forced to vote for a Republican it would probably have to be Trump.

i think also since he actually has a lack of meticulously thought out policies if he actually got into the position he'd be a lot more moderate because the people around him would be a lot more sane than we'd expect. whereas with bush, you know its just the same assholes that ran his brother's administration chomping at the bit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The thing is, Trump is a moron, but he's also super quick on his feet and is a "straight shooter" such that if anybody goes after him, he has something prepared to instantly slap them down. Remember when Kasich tried doing the "You guys, Trump or Carson might ACTUALLY win, let's think about this" thing in the last debate, and Trump immediately smacked him down as an overrated governor taking a desperate shot in the dark because he was down in the polls?

If anything, I'd bet that Trump's plan at this point is to prepare a lot of counterattacks for possible barbs thrown against him, knowing that the people who would support him probably don't care if he's weak on policy ("because he's smart enough to appoint good people") and that his best shot is being this straight-talker who holds nothing sacred, politically, and pulls no punches against anybody. Really, he only has another four months he has to hold out, and if all his shit thus far hasn't tanked him, I don't know what will. Rubio's only hope is that pretty much all of the other guys who drop out drop out in time for him to pick up their voters (and even then, are Cruz's supporters really going to vote for Rubio over Trump and/or Carson?).

Rubio would need to get most, if not all, of Carson's support to beat Trump. If even a third of it goes Trump's way it's game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom