• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Res Analysis Thread

ULTROS! said:
I got it from here though: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Alan Wake = 960x540 (4xAA)
Forbidden Siren = 1024x512 (4xAA)
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope PS3 = 1024x720 (2xAA, in field), ~930x512 (2xAA, in battle)
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope 360 = 1248x702 (2xAA + edge blur/DOF, in field), ~936x512 (no AA, in battle)

Some of the B3D's numbers aren't 100% accurate.

Alan Wake

a0037809_4be1730884e28.jpg

Star Ocean 4

a0037809_4b6f62a2329c6.jpg

a0037809_4c5896a9c7af6.jpg

PS3

a0037809_4c5896cb4362e.jpg

a0037809_4c589a33c5093.jpg

* for more SO4 comparison shots, please visit

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wasn't that Star Ocean black border issue on the 360 just specific to certain types of video cable outputs ? At least that's what I remember reading.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The star ocean battles--maybe because of the bright neon or whatever-- are where the effect has bothered me most. It looks so terrible.

chandoog said:
Wasn't that Star Ocean black border issue on the 360 just specific to certain types of video cable outputs ? At least that's what I remember reading.

Nope, those are direct frame buffer grabs via HDMI cable.

If your HDTV has overscan issues, you will not see those black borders.

a0037809_4c58a84fcf4e7.jpg

After reading chandoog's post, it just struck me.

Yeah it's the overscan I'm talking about here.

The overscans do occur on 720P setting, and there're surprisingly many HDTVs (whether new or old) out there with overscan issues. I personally had returned 2 HDTVs for this matter alone and was shocked to find out that, even some of the highest end models do have overscan that just can't be adjusted. (ie. Sony 32" XBR9)

You can use this image to test your HDTV's overscan about. Just save the file, and open it in your PS3 (set your XMB to 720P of course)

manzo

MazingerDUDE said:
Some of the B3D's numbers aren't 100% accurate.

a0037809_4c5896a9c7af6.jpg

PS3

Basically Star Ocean 4 PS3 holds the candle as the lowest in-game resolution this generation?

896x504 - That's nearly an NTSC resolution there. :O

Mastperf said:
I didn't even notice Kane and Lynch 2 was sub-hd. I was impressed at the frame-rate and thought it looked really good. I wish every game could have GOW3's image quality, but I prefer to keep things realistic. I also prefer to keep my gaming TV at 32 inches and less than 1080p for this generation. A smaller screen with less scaling gives me good enough results.

Well maybe its because I'd already played the 1080p PC version previously but the 360 version looked super blurry to me, distractingly so. The framerate was really good though and considering the visual style it was going for it was probably the right trade off for the platform.

Tain said:
For what it's worth, seeing all these console games in low resolutions doesn't really bother me. If anything, I'm usually glad in the cases where the lower resolutions help the framerate. There are definitely some games that run in a lower res in the name of effects over IQ that fail to pull it off, though.

My general rule is that if you're running at a sub 720p resolution then you better make damn well sure you have a decent AA solution. A lower resolution with decent AA can look OK (so long as you're not just slashing the resolution in half á la Alan Wake) but the combination of a low resolution + zero AA (like in Halo 3) is simply hideous, its probably why those Vanquish shots look so damn nasty.

Also, if you cut the resolution and you've still got a dodgy sub 30fps framerate and heavy (as in anything more than ~5-10% or so) tearing then its time to go back to the drawing board, the console clearly is simply incapable of handling what you're asking it to achieve.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
manzo said:
True that. I really hope they manage to get 1280x720 on both platforms before release. :(

Has a game ever had its resolution increased in the final few months of development? Seems like resolution is something you'd want to nail down early so you can work with that spec in mind for as long as possible. It also seems like any benefits of optimization in the final months would be better allocated to other forms of graphical polish rather than a marginal increase in resolution. But I don't know anything about rendering pipelines or whatever, so maybe one kind of polish (e.g. texture or lighting improvements) are drastically different in cost than a resolution increase.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Has a game ever had its resolution increased in the final few months of development? Seems like resolution is something you'd want to nail down early so you can work with that spec in mind for as long as possible.

Not that I'm aware of, if the resolution changes late in development then there's usually only one direction its going.

manzo

From 2chan game@futaba:

2chan post said:

Vanquish seems to be 1024x720 no AA on PS3 and 1280x720 with 2xAA on 360.

Basically the screenshots have been from the PS3 version?

Edit: looks like this got linked to Beyond3D Console Technology. Please note that this info is from 2chan and should be taken with a grain of salt. Will not link the direct link, since 2chan is NSFW.

Haunted

Is it even possible to analyze such a shitty IGN screen (talking about Deus Ex). We don't even know if they're proper direct feeds, add to that IGN's flaky uploads, compression, the works... I dunno.

If that doesn't have an effect on the analysis, disregard. It's late and possible I haven't thought this through properly. >_>

manzo said:
Basically Star Ocean 4 PS3 holds the candle as the lowest in-game resolution this generation?

896x504 - That's nearly an NTSC resolution there. :O
My god. I was just joking earlier today about the Wii's abysmal 720x480. 896x504 doesn't seem so far away somehow. :lol

Speevy

Banned
MazingerDUDE said:
a0037809_4c58a84fcf4e7.jpg

After reading chandoog's post, it just struck me.

Yeah it's the overscan I'm talking about here.

The overscans do occur on 720P setting, and there're surprisingly many HDTVs (whether new or old) out there with overscan issues. I personally had returned 2 HDTVs for this matter alone and was shocked to find out that, even some of the highest end models do have overscan that just can't be adjusted. (ie. Sony 32" XBR9)

You can use this image to test your HDTV's overscan about. Just save the file, and open it in your PS3 (set your XMB to 720P of course)

This post just ruined my TV. :( 3 years old, can't take it back.

Top Bottom