• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I mean, they were there because a building was on fire. Saying they rescued pigs is how you attemp to create a controversy over the farmer gifting the sausages these pigs were always destined to become 6 months after the fire was put out.

Sure. But if you tell someone that pigs were saved from a fire, they'll be happy, because they value the lives of pigs, and they would assume that the people saving them did as well.

As a society, we praise saving animals, because we value non-human lives.

However, as a society, we also treat animals as objects, so killing them and offering them as a reward is appropriate.

The dissonance is why people are uncomfortable. Living in a society that values animal life but also values killing animals to eat them requires a disconnect that most people don't like to see bridged.

I guess if the saving of the animals was completely incidental to their firefighting efforts and never one of their goals then that's not quite as strange but I don't think the article specifies.

It probably was one of their goals, it's the farmer's property after all.

However, as a society, we also treat animals as objects, so killing them and offering them as a reward is appropriate.

The dissonance is why people are uncomfortable. Living in a society that values animal life but also values killing animals to eat them requires a disconnect that most people don't like to see bridged.

good opinion here

Elandyll

Banned
I... Don't see the problem?

Granted the article makes it sound at first that the farmer thanked the rescuers by slaughtering the pigs on the spot after the rescue, and grinded them into sausages, but that's not what happened.

Reading the whole article, the pigs were saved from burning alive (a truly horrible fate), went on living for 6 months and were then killed (as humanely as possible I hope, and having visited a slaughterhouse myself I can attest it is very quick) and had the fate they were always going to have: become food.

Sending then said food to the firefighters was a tad dark, but the pigs would be sausages either way.

Doesn't bacon cause cancer? Well if it does, that would be a pretty fitting case of karma.

In the same sense that being alive causes cancer, yes. There is reason to believe that eating significant amounts of bacon makes you marginally more likely to get cancer.

If you work as a fire fighter, and are around burning buildings for any significant amount of time, I would hazard a guess that eating pork occasionally is fairly fair down your list of concerns.

Sarek

Same here, this was a bit disturbing.

Can someone explain to me why this is disturbing. Because a firefighter moved the piglets they shouldn't be eaten? At most they were eaten a few months, to a year earlier than they would have been anyway.

nOqfXLQ.jpg

Horse burgers are great. And so is "Conejo al ajillo".
Obviously the line is with omnivores and work animals. Animals that consume meat as a large portion of their diet taste odd and work animals like horses are gamey.

Jenov

I don't really see a problem with it, besides some dark humor as result. The firefighters saved the family's barn and were gifted family raised pork (that was going to be slaughtered anyways) as a thanks. Probably tasted good. They said the pigs were given an extra 6 months of time too.

Rocketz

It's kind of a strange situation, yeah. Like...why did those firefighters spend time and money saving them if they were going to get killed on the firefighter's behalf. Was it worth putting their own lives in danger to save their own lunch? Not bad but a weird end to the story.

Well the article says that farming is her livelihood and way of life and that 18 piglets and two sows survived the fire. From the amount of sausages they had in the picture that's not even a whole pigs worth so I'm sure she sold the rest to market.

Elandyll

Banned
Just a thought. Genuinely curious too, not just "for lolz".

What is Vegans' stance on animals eating animals?

Is that unethical as well?

I'm not even talking about carnivores, but omnivores, like bears. Should we be upset at bears (or others) when they vary their diet with some side meat?

As sad as it sounds, ultimately it was going to be their fate. At least they didn't go to waste like they would have been if they died in the fire.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say this is outrageous when I'll eat pork with my next meal.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Kinda dark, but at the end of the day they were always slated to be killed and eaten so might as well go to the guys who saved them from dying in a fire.

I'm not even talking about carnivores, but omnivores, like bears. Should we be upset at bears (or others) when they vary their diet with some side meat?

I'd presume it's because we typically hold humans to a higher moral standard then animals

Camwi

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said the piglets were "no better off" for escaping the fire.

Yes, they would've been no better off if they had been burned alive.

That PETA spokesperson is a fucking idiot.

stupei

Same here, this was a bit disturbing.

That's because they chose to frame it that way so that a pleasant story about how a farmer generously repaid firefighters for helping them can be made to sound shocking and horrific.

Actual story: firefighters save property that would have cost a business a massive source of income. As a thank you, the farmers gift the firefighters with some of what they saved after it reaches the natural point at which it is financially viable.

Even the use of "piglets" feels likely to be misleading as they were served as food a full six months later, presumably at the age of maturity when they would usually be slaughtered for food.

If they had saved any other crop on the farm from being burned and the farmers gifted them with that produce, nobody would blink. Obviously there's a difference between a vegetable and an animal, but as a meat eater I would feel pretty hypocritical to be horrified that a pig raised on a farm for slaughter was eaten.

What curve would that be? We don't eat dogs or cats because it isn't in the culture of North Americans, and many pet owners value their pets as much as they would their other loved ones. Seems pretty subjective.

Dismissing it doesn't make it go away!

Well, I wouldn't eat whales or dolphins for example. We've bred dogs to literally be obedient children who love us unconditionally, so eating then is kinda a dick move as well, regardless of intelligence. Of course, the process of eating dog or cats in Asia is completely different, because people steal pets and such to sell and be butchered, which is removing a human connection that someone has to the animal. Of course, you can do the same with pigs, they are smarter than dogs iirc. I've mentioned in the past my own misgivings with eating pork because of that, which I have eased back on, as well as red meat for environmental reasons.

It basically just comes down to moral consistency imo. If you eat meat you need to accept things like mass production of food, and support laws and legislation that attempts to give the animals dying for our food a somewhat decent quality of life. If you value animal lives equal, or at least high enough that eating them is morally reprehensible to you, that's fine too. Just don't say things that are innacurate or blatantly stupid to support it, like somehow meat eaters would want to eat people if it was legal.

Surfinn

You're talking about apples and oranges. People often (even accidentally) use this strawman in arguments.

The way I understand veganism (I was one for a year, now am a vegetarian) is that people who CAN choose to change their diet can do so in a healthy and ethically responsible manner, that benefits animals AND humans. Some people are unlucky enough to just make due with what they have and do NOT have that choice.

I've heard it all. Somebody's Trumper dad told me (after a few drinks) YOU WOULD EAT MEAT IF STRANDED ON AN ISLAND WITH ONLY CHICKEN. Well.. of course I would, because I'd HAVE to in order to survive. But that's not what veganism/vegetarianism is about.

Goodlife

I love sausage more than I could ever describe, but I don't know that I could really eat an animal that I knew and cared for while it was alive.

While I completely understand that they were bred for slaughter, serving them to the people who "saved" them is a little bit weird to me. They were saved only to be slaughtered, and they were slaughtered only to have the meat donated instead of bringing a profit. Makes the whole thing feel like an exercise in futility.

The fire fighters were there to save the barn.

Not a vegan, but obviously the argument is that animals are not unethical (because they are not aware to that degree), whereas humans have choice (at least in the civilized world).

dci260

Personally, I believe that as humans we should hold ourselves to higher standards. We know better, they don't. Otherwise, we might as well just eat eachother if we are well prepared and/or taste good.

Voidwolf

Hahahaha.

People saying the pigs would have been better off dying in the fire. Jeez. What else can be done with the pigs. People gotta eat.

KHarvey16

Sure. But if you tell someone that pigs were saved from a fire, they'll be happy, because they value the lives of pigs, and they would assume that the people saving them did as well.

This is really just an excuse for not having to think and reason this through for the two or three seconds it should take. I get why people react emotionally, but the point is they shouldn't.

That's because they chose to frame it that way so that a pleasant story about how a farmer generously repaid firefighters for helping them can be made to sound shocking and horrific.

Actual story: firefighters save property that would have cost a business a massive source of income. As a thank you, the farmers gift the firefighters with some of what they saved after it reaches the natural point at which it is financially viable.

Even the use of "piglets" feels likely to be misleading as they were served as food a full six months later, presumably at the age of maturity when they would usually be slaughtered for food.

If they had saved any other crop on the farm from being burned and the farmers gifted them with that produce, nobody would blink. Obviously there's a difference between a vegetable and an animal, but as a meat eater I would feel pretty hypocritical to be horrified that a pig raised on a farm for slaughter was eaten.

Pretty much, on the surface it is certainly aiming at an specific gut reaction.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said the piglets were "no better off" for escaping the fire.
I'm pretty sure burning alive is worse then being killed quickly, but that might just be me I guess.

Hey guys, if you were stranded on an island with your friend, both starving, and your friend died, would you eat your friend?

Maybe, it is something that humans do, and have been forced to do. It will be foolish to believe our personalities are stronger predictors of behavior than external factors. So I wouldn't know until I'm there.

I'm not a vegan, but I imagine it's something like "Animals eat according to instinct. Humans can make a choice." And fairly enough - ethics is fundamentally about the exercise of choice and its relation to morality. Humans can choose to cultivate and consume non-animal food sources, and animals cannot.

As for this story... it is weird. There's a detachment involved with eating animals that seems directly opposed to literally saving them from death. Like, "Oh, hey, I saved this pig! I'm glad I did, because its meats are delicious!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom