• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster Review Thread

Jawmuncher

well dino 2 was more action oriented like re5.

i personally loved dino one and re play it all the time. but can't with 2.

re 5 was good bc i played 360 co-op had hours and hours of fun with it. human Wesker was awesome mid boss. (ending was stupid)

but single player i didn't like it as much and felt re 4 was a better single player game.

RE5 is my favorite game, but I do agree that RE4 was a better overall SP experience.

The hate on 0 is strong around here...

I always thought the game, while not being as good as REmake, is definitely worth checking out for any RE fans out there.

I never really liked the item management mechanics in it, but hey, it was a new approach to make a difference to the good ol' item box, it wasn't my jazz but I still look at it with a 'why not?' approach.

Story was solid for what it was, as far as I'm concerned. It's RE anyway so it's hard to take anything seriously. Wait until we reach story climax ans see Wesker coming back in RE7. :lol

Yeah I expect Wesker to come back or Krauser at some point. I think capcom realizes they need someone iconic as a villain again.

I love classic RE, but lets be honest: it doesn't have the wide appeal that the new action oriented titles got. I think RE 5 still stands as the most successful Capcom title.

It probably won't match up to it. But 5 had a lot of external factors driving those sales as well in addition to the well executed co-op present in one of the better demos to ever be released for a game to date.

Fact is though, we can't say that when an equal effort with familiar variables is present. The extra boost from the films will be absent as their run should be over, but releasing on healthy platforms (so not Gamecube which is the last major classic release stood) with equal marketing efforts as 5&6 can likely bring it in the same ballpark.

Provided the game is good of course. Modern audiences should get that chance though instead of just saying well, these games sold great after telling everyone under every rock to get it with no other option, so action > horror fullstop.

I don't want to see the action games go away, though they need to tighten up things before they wreck what they have going for them there. But this odd, bubble thought process of these sales matched up alongside as if there was nothing but the quality or style of games going into them is maddening.

RE5 is my favorite game, but I do agree that RE4 was a better overall SP experience.

Yeah I expect Wesker to come back or Krauser at some point. I think capcom realizes they need someone iconic as a villain again.

Or Dr. Kirk...

though iconic isn't something present to that character's qualities

Jawmuncher

It probably won't match up to it. But 5 had a lot of external factors driving those sales as well in addition to the well executed co-op present in one of the better demos to ever be released for a game to date.

Fact is though, we can't say that when an equal effort with familiar variables is present. The extra boost from the films will be absent as their run should be over, but releasing on healthy platforms (so not Gamecube which is the last major classic release stood) with equal marketing efforts as 5&6 can likely bring it in the same ballpark.

Provided the game is good of course. Modern audiences should get that chance though instead of just saying well, these games sold great after telling everyone under every rock to get it with no other option, so action > horror fullstop.

I don't want to see the action games go away, though they need to tighten up things before they wreck what they have going for them there. But this odd, bubble thought process of these sales matched up alongside as if there was nothing but the quality or style of games going into them is maddening.

If anything capcom should just offer ways for players to easily walk into Survival horror. Easy mode in RE0 and REmake HD already makes the games action enough with all the ammo and such. Really all they need is to add hints for puzzles and maybe map locations of where to go next as a toggle for easier difficulties. Since a big part of survival horror RE is playing it multiple times. Surprised they didn't add such things to the new ports honestly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If anything capcom should just offer ways for players to easily walk into Survival horror. Easy mode in RE0 and REmake HD already makes the games action enough with all the ammo and such. Really all they need is to add hints for puzzles and maybe map locations of where to go next as a toggle for easier difficulties. Since a big part of survival horror RE is playing it multiple times. Surprised they didn't add such things to the new ports honestly.

I think they should take one from Silent Hill and add a combat and puzzle difficulty option.

Dusk Golem

1/5

Still a joke though.

Corrected, 1/5 it is.

Not unexpected for Zero, but reviews are all over the board with critics. What I'm more curious about is what fans think though, I expect some diverse opinions too, but my hope is Zero gets a bit more positive reception since many at this point in time treat it like a black sheep of the franchise, but really, it isn't that bad.

I might wind up picking up these remakes at some point. I've been craving good adventure games to play through! Never played the classics prior to 4.

-MD-

Corrected, 1/5 it is.

Not unexpected for Zero, but reviews are all over the board with critics. What I'm more curious about is what fans think though, I expect some diverse opinions too, but my hope is Zero gets a bit more positive reception since many at this point in time treat it like a black sheep of the franchise, but really, it isn't that bad.

I'm actually not too bothered by the all over the place reviews, hopefully Capcom looks at that, sees the differences between RE and RE0 and they make better choices for RE2.

If this had come out and gotten a bunch of 9s I'd be kinda worried. That said it's been so long since I've played I don't even know what kind of score I'd give it, I know a 1/5 is total bullshit though.

Although I had no interest in this or the REmake: Remaster because i've 100% the originals and played them to death the inclusion of that double pack has me intrigued. I was however most definately going to get Resi 2: REmake so hopefully they have a physical release with all 3 of these games. Gonna hang out for that before making the plunge.

The upgraded assest in this do look pretty good I have to say.

televator

Why so much polarizing reviews?

It was hit or miss since GameCube. Personally I think it was a miss. Never liked the 2 character control idea. Classic RE games are already a handful without having to keep track of 2 characters with split inventories. In fact, when RE5 revealed a similar mechanic I already knew I should avoid that game too.

Dusk Golem

I'm actually not too bothered by the all over the place reviews, hopefully Capcom looks at that, sees the differences between RE and RE0 and they make better choices for RE2.

If this had come out and gotten a bunch of 9s I'd be kinda worried. That said it's been so long since I've played I don't even know what kind of score I'd give it, I know a 1/5 is total bullshit though.

It's no remake, I'll be very curious what your opinion is replaying. I actually played and beat Zero literally the DAY before REmake HD was announced, and when they announced that I figured Zero was next. But as a result, my opinions on it are a bit fresher.

Zero is no REmake, but it's not terrible either. It has some beautiful settings, some great moments, and I really like Zero's puzzles (there's more puzzles and item management than usual though), but it does have some weak areas, but those are well spoken for.

The one thing I'll never quite understand about Zero's complaints though is backtracking. Zero has less back-tracking in it than all of the older RE's with the exception of RE3. Its areas loop around quite a bit so there's often very little reason to go back to a location outside of if you dropped an item off somewhere inconveniently. Zero's locations are pretty small, the only two rooms you really return to a lot are the main hall and the meeting room.

Why so much polarizing reviews?

Polarizing opinions on the game, and on old-school horror games in general. One thing I notice about a lot of the older reviews.

In a lot of the negative reviews, I notice they mention things fans of the old-school genre like; IE, in the IGN review, they mention as one of their big pros, "Improved controls." Not to diss on the new control scheme, but I think if you have a problem with tank controls, you probably have a problem with older survival-horror games.

It's not a very good game.

That would be if it got bad reviews, not polarizing reviews.

I don't think the game was that bad (love having Billy with infinte ammo just going ape and doing fuck all damage lol), I personally liked the 2 person gameplay mechanic, I think the problem was the use of all different types of
animals as enemies and bosses
, this along with the uninspired settings just took away too much from what was actually a very classic Resident Evil experience.

Atleast you can never say Resident Evil never strayed from it's comfort zone, there have been a few different variations in the gameplay across the main games which makes the piece of shit 6 even more fascinating as the gameplay is essentially just like RE 4 and 5 but instead seems to have been made by a bunch of morons who don't understand the Resident Evil atmosphere and have instead opted for a Channing Tatum action movie smh.

Polarizing opinions on the game, and on old-school horror games in general. One thing I notice about a lot of the older reviews.

In a lot of the negative reviews, I notice they mention things fans of the old-school genre like; IE, in the IGN review, they mention as one of their big pros, "Improved controls." Not to diss on the new control scheme, but I think if you have a problem with tank controls, you probably have a problem with older survival-horror games.

The REmake HD release did not have "polarized" reviews despite its old-school gameplay, so attempting to characterize RE0's less-than-stellar reception as being caused by bias against the genre falls flat. The reality is that a lot of people consider it to be a dull game.

Are some reviews casual like gamers? I am glad I haven't focused on reviews in ten years. Nothing wrong with the mix of controls and gameplay here. It's different not bad.

I'll take this over re5 or 6 any day. And for the most part on re. I'd still take 2 over 4.

Dusk Golem

The REmake HD release did not have "polarized" reviews despite its old-school gameplay, so attempting to characterize RE0's less-than-stellar reception as being caused by bias against the genre falls flat. The reality is that a lot of people consider it to be a dull game.

Zero is not in the same league as REmake, this is true, and it doesn't match it in atmosphere or strategic path-planning. However, Zero is polarizing, and there's a reason for that as well, obviously some find it dull, but others find it fun. Thus the term polarizing reviews.

BUT, I was making an observation because I was reading the reviews. Some of the reviews complain about static camera angles, controls, things you'd expect from someone who doesn't like these type of games. I'm not saying that's the main cause, just an observation, and IGN being the biggest name on that list, I brought up their control scheme point.

Anyways, IGN back in the day gave RE0 an 8.2/10, but obviously the person reviewing it was different. And in terms of the HD Remasters they didn't rate Zero that much lower anyways (REmake was given an 8/10 there as a comparison to Zero's 6.5/10 on IGN). I was talking more in terms of some odd complaints I was spotting reading through the reviews, and just named off one which was a weird bulletpoint pro in my opinion from a bigger name site.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Most things are.
Please.

Anyway, I was looking at some screens earlier on PSN... her face looks weird. Like, bad.

Will probably pick this up at some point. Idk the remakes just aren't as fun as I remember. Glad they're doing them, but I'm pretty whatever on the whole thing. More curious about how they'll approach RE2make than excited to play it. And Zero, not exactly the most interesting of the legacy games. Idk, maybe I'll grab it sooner. idk.

Her face looks weird though.

DOWN

Banned
RE0 was made by a one time team and director right? It wasn't handled by the top Capcom RE people

gconsole

People who love REmake and hate RE0 are weird, game looks amazing, plays really good, using 2 characters at once is awesome, I love it as much as The other classic RE.

People criticising the story probably have never played the other RE games, hint: their stories are terrible.

I am that person. 2 game are completely different apart from similar high def prerender style. I dont know why do you have to like both game when one is obviously worse.

And story is bad. Even by RE standard. It fills nothing to the saga. Worse it doesnt even fit properly. It does no job of being a prequel to RE1.

Either you have no taste in gaming or yiu never play it. I dont know.

News Bot

Banned
RE0 was made by a one time team and director right? It wasn't handled by the top Capcom RE people

Yup. Just like CV and GS. The cost of milking your cash cow--- you gotta hire others to do it to keep up with the workload.

And story is bad. Even by RE standard. It fills nothing to the saga. Worse it doesnt even fit properly. It does no job of being a prequel to RE1.

The story is weak but not due to lack of content. It's a matter of focus. The narrative presented in the game focuses on all the wrong things and glosses over the truly interesting stuff. They did rather great work with explaining the t-Virus but left out any of the details, just "leech dna lol." Leeches are able to regenerate damaged nerves for instance, a favorable trait in a viral weapon designed to create superior organisms. Leeches can also survive without oxygen by feeding on their own proteins. This is how Zombies function without the use of their lungs and other vital organs, and why their appearance is so grotesque--- they "eat" themselves inside out as well. Even if this was unintentional, Noboru Sugimura essentially solved a problem plaguing an entire genre.

It fills quite a few details in the saga, particularly explaining Umbrella's origin and giving the first real details about the Progenitor Virus.

gelf

I hate the "re0 proved they needed to stop making survival horror games and turn the series into full action" narrative, as if you can only make so many games of a certain genre then you're done.
At the time I felt the same though. The formula had been overdone over a few short years. The issue I have now is that it's the so called modern style RE that feels overdone and a new game in the style of the old would be a fresher release now. I'm so sick of the standard TPS template every series goes for these days.

People who love REmake and hate RE0 are weird, game looks amazing, plays really good, using 2 characters at once is awesome, I love it as much as The other classic RE.

People criticising the story probably have never played the other RE games, hint: their stories are terrible.

I remember people hating the game saying the RE franchise was ruined. Well you got your wish they went full action after LOL

Personally I liked it I found the difficulty more inviting as someone who was barely playing RE for the first time.

sphinx

the piano man
I will never understand the hate for this game.

there is no fucking way this is a 5/10 game, not in 2003 and not in 2016.

eh, no use arguing, whatever floats the reviewer's boats.

The story is weak but not due to lack of content. It's a matter of focus. The narrative presented in the game focuses on all the wrong things and glosses over the truly interesting stuff. They did rather great work with explaining the t-Virus but left out any of the details, just "leech dna lol." Leeches are able to regenerate damaged nerves for instance, a favorable trait in a viral weapon designed to create superior organisms. Leeches can also survive without oxygen by feeding on their own proteins. This is how Zombies function without the use of their lungs and other vital organs, and why their appearance is so grotesque--- they "eat" themselves inside out as well. Even if this was unintentional, Noboru Sugimura essentially solved a problem plaguing an entire genre.

It fills quite a few details in the saga, particularly explaining Umbrella's origin and giving the first real details about the Progenitor Virus.

The problem with 0's story is that it has no thrust. Most of the exposition has nothing to do with the characters and instead exists solely to try and fill in gaps in the other games' backstories. The game is so busy telling you about Wesker and Birkin and all these other villains that have essentially no immediate impact on Rebecca and Billy that the actual main antagonist is barely present until the last act.

I remember buying this game when it first came out and I think it got similar reviews. Basically, if you like classic RE games, you will probably enjoy RE0. It is nothing particularly special, however.

I played it way back when on the Gamecube, but never finished it. Although I did like it, it felt like too much of a retread of REmake for my tastes.

Top Bottom