• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster Review Thread

Resident Evil Zero is a good game but it will suffer the same fate as it did on the GameCube.

Resident Evil Remake is the better game and it came out first. It I were Capcom, I would of remastered Zero first and then Remake.

Yeah, releasing them in this order was daft. I've bought ReReMake, but haven't played it yet, so I have no real reason to buy this, as it's not as good (I played both on the GC).

If ReRe0 had released first, I'd have that sat on my harddrive now instead, and when ReReMake subsequently released, I'd have bought it regardless.

I've never played RE0. Is it worth it to try it out or will it not kill me to leave it unplayed? I've played most of the major RE titles already, so I just want to know if this one brought something unique to the table that I should experience

onken

Yeah still in two minds whether or not to get this. I enjoyed the game at the time but that was a very different era. I wonder if REmake hasn't itched my spot for the time being.

I said this either in this thread or the OT, but I'm happy I seem not to be the only person who really liked Leech Hunter.

I don't think many delved into it, or at the very least I hardly even see anyone ever mentioned it, but it has to be one of the most underrated (or overlooked?) Resident Evil bonus modes.

Well the good thing is, you can unlock stuff, even if you've played it on Easy, and I liked the music in this mode too.
Got all 100 leeches even for infinite ammo and the 1 hit Magnum. So no, you're not the only one :p

I said this either in this thread or the OT, but I'm happy I seem not to be the only person who really liked Leech Hunter.

I don't think many delved into it, or at the very least I hardly even see anyone ever mentioned it, but it has to be one of the most underrated (or overlooked?) Resident Evil bonus modes.

It's a blast and I can't wait to play it again to unlock the
cowgirl outfit and machine gun.

Honestly it's getting better reviews than I feared.

It's not a bad game, just uninspired and often hamfisted. The train is great, the ideas are good, but the execution is just so lacking nothing really feels like it ties together properly, and it relied far too much on pandering to fans of the previous games.

I still prefer it to Code Veronica mind, which was just boring, but I hoestly had more fun with Resident Evil 6, and that was kind of shit.

News Bot

Banned
The problem with 0's story is that it has no thrust. Most of the exposition has nothing to do with the characters and instead exists solely to try and fill in gaps in the other games' backstories. The game is so busy telling you about Wesker and Birkin and all these other villains that have essentially no immediate impact on Rebecca and Billy that the actual main antagonist is barely present until the last act.

This is also true.

Rymuth

"Most boring Resident Evil" - Kotaku
"All-a-bored."

Not surprised at the reviews. I think I've written this somewhere before on GAF but I remember not being able to finish this game THREE times on the Gamecube. Each time, I used to get bored, drop the game, pick it up a few months later, have no idea where to go next and then re-start all over. The final time, I managed to somehow will myself into finishing it.

I'll still buy The Origins disc for collection purposes, though.

Saying that the game has shown the bad age of the original formula has always been such a bad narrative. The last title before Zero was the REmake, which was an absolute masterpiece which stomps the modern RE series, including 4. Zero simply wasn't a game as great as RE2 or REmake, but that didn't mean the series needed a complete genre change and utter casualization for returning quality. RE4 didn't fix anything, because it was something completely different. The RE3.5 prototype with a demo disc looked to be the real evolution though (at least now Revelations 2 is finally giving me the RE feels within a modern structure again).

I got RE 0 for Steam but unfortunately the key didn't get activated because the game is restricted in my country :`(

I barely use Steam and didn't know this was a thing.

Does anyone want to trade the key for RE 4?

Top Bottom