• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neff

This is one of the few main RE games that I've not played. How good are we talking here? What am I missing out on?

Beautiful graphics, fantastic atmosphere, fun real time zapping mode which cleverly empowers you as much as it makes you feel vulnerable by teaming up/going solo respectively, terrible story/villain/monsters.

As classic RE goes, I personally don't like it as much as RE, 2 or CV, but prefer it to 3. It's well worth the ride if you like Resident Evil.

Syinn

Neo Member
Playing on X1 now, RB to aim and A to shoot, trigger is character swap with most of the control schemes.

I'd recommend type D scheme for trigger shooting controls...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
More Reviews:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/01/18/resident-evil-zero-hd-review/

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/resident_evil_0_hd_remaster_review.html

This is one of the few main RE games that I've not played. How good are we talking here? What am I missing out on?

It can be quite a polarising game, in general most people like it, but would rank last/second last among the classic RE's.

In saying that, it's still classic RE, which is better than 90% of games that release today. I'd play through it 1000 times in a row before playing 5 seconds of RE6, a game which was a crime against humanity of Coldplay-sized proportions.

When is this out for UK customers on PS4?

It unlocks at midnight if you pre-order it.

Our review's live:

Resident Evil Zero not only feels fresh 14 years after its original release, but it also showcases a superb remastering effort. A methodical game which truly rewards deep thought, this survival horror classic stands tall in genre that's been streamlined a little too much in recent times. If you've never played 'Becca and Billy's escapade, then there's never been a better opportunity. And for those who have survived the nightmare before, the new modes and graphical upgrades mean that there's plenty of reason to climb aboard.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/resident_evil_zero

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As someone who has not played either---which order do you folks recommend.

Zero, then REmake, or REmake, then Zero ?

Definately REmake first. Zero assumes you know the basic backstory that was introduced in REmake, which it then builds on.

Aside from that REmake is by far the better game so it's a much more positive place to start, Zero is inferior in every conceivable way so it might turn you off the series before you get a chance to appreciate it.

Markitron

Metro review, quite harsh in my opinion. At least they mention the fact that the new controls make the game too easy though.

Edit: Forgot link...

I can't say I would disagree with any of their criticisms, these things will bother some people more than others.

Another one who thinks the gameplay is boring and outdated. Have those reviewers really played the old games?

I don't think the review was an attack on old-skool RE, their main criticisms were that it was poorly paced, predictable and not scary. This was true in 2002 as well, at least in comparison to REmake specifically.

Metro review, quite harsh in my opinion. At least they mention the fact that the new controls make the game too easy though.

Edit: Forgot link...

Another one who thinks the gameplay is boring and outdated. Have those reviewers really played the old games? Am I the only one who thinks that tank controls and fixed camera should make a comeback? These games wouldn't even work without it. The updated control scheme makes this game (and REmake) way too easy.

Another one who thinks the gameplay is boring and outdated. Have those reviewers really played the old games? Am I the only one who thinks that tank controls and fixed camera should make a comeback? These games wouldn't even work without it. The updated control scheme makes this game (and REmake) way too easy.

Nwah, you're not the only one,
I liked the pre-rendered backgrounds too, most people find them outdated not sure why, especially if you look at the old games like RE or even Final Fantasy, they used these techniques.
I will play Zero HD with tank controls, 3D controls look to unnatural for me.

Melchiah

How's the difficulty compared to REmake, as in does it take the same amount of bullets to kill the zombies, and do they damage you the same extent on normal?

Garlador

I give it a HEARTY recommendation.

RE: Zero is actually in my top 4 games from series, so it's in good company with games like RE2 and REmake.

So... don't use them then? Use the originals?

Giving players options is a negative? Whatever. I'll play with Tank controls.

Saikyo

Pre-ordered, gonna play it with the new gameplay style like I did with the remaster.

Shame that the prototype cloth is DLC.

REmake then Zero for story reasons, if you've played the later games in the time line. Zero then REmake for gameplay reasons.

Interesting. I have completed:

Revelations
Revelations 2
RE5
And I'm currently on Chapter 5 of RE4.

I know some of what the lead bad dude of bad dudes is up to, and that he is in fact a bad dude, but the details are a mystery.

If REmake is the better game overall though then yes I will start there. I'll have limited time in January so it's better I focus on completing that than 0. I can come back to 0 in February before SF5 drops.

-MD-

Quick question as this always confuses me:

Are the default controls for this game the old Resi style "tank" controls or are they the easy updated controls?

The newer analog controls were default in REmake HD so I assume they're the same here.

It's listed as [Alternate] [Original]. Alternate is analog, original is tank.

Markitron

How's the difficulty compared to REmake, as in does it take the same amount of bullets to kill the zombies, and do they damage you the same extent on normal?

It's about the same, more or less. It's been a while, but I found it's mid-game to be harder than REmake, whereas as REmake started hard and got gradually easier. It does have some cheap sections where you can stuck as one character without good gear, I don't remember how often this happens though.

Revelations
Revelations 2
RE5

I know some of what the lead bad dude of bad dudes is up to, and that he is in fact a bad dude, but the details are a mystery.

If REmake is the better game overall though then yes I will start there. I'll have limited time in January so it's better I focus on completing that than 0. I can come back to 0 in February before SF5 drops.

You should defo play REmake first then

The newer analog controls were default in REmake HD so I assume they're the same here.

It's listed as [Alternate] (analog) and [Original] (tank)

Speaking of controls:

As someone who never played the originals, and was not a fan of RE4 controls too much... do I want to do tank or these new alternate?

I imagine the new alternate, but I just want to make sure.

Revelations
Revelations 2
RE5

Oh boy, lol.

Downloading now (I'm in Australia so it's the 19th already), looking forward to finally getting to the end this time!

Good to see the reviews are fairly positive so far, the quality of the game itself is arguable but I think it's safe to say it's a good remaster.

Neff

As someone who has not played either---which order do you folks recommend.

Zero, then REmake, or REmake, then Zero ?

Some will tell you to save the best for last, in this case obviously REmake, but I'd suggest playing that first.

REmake is a game best experienced without foreknowledge of RE0, since it was never designed as a sequel. RE0 is a tacked-on prequel in every way, and it shows narratively and contextually. RE0 is also a much more challenging game, both in terms of management, environments and enemies, and it may diminish the brilliance of first experiencing REmake, which will only leave you wanting more.

I say go for REmake first.

It's listed as [Alternate] [Original]. Alternate is analog, original is tank.

Capcom's biggest mistake. I don't mind that they added the easy-mode controls, but going by Youtube playthroughs most people don't play with the new controls because they're consciously against the old tank controls, but rather because they just have no idea what the difference between those two control options is and they just leave it at default because of that.

Just like most people are unknowingly playing on Easy mode (Hiking).

Hehe

I don't know though - I thought its strongly implied Resident Evil 2 Remake is going ahead on the grounds REMake HD did gangbusters?

Yeah, that's the idea which makes me excited for it as tank Controls and fixed cameras never bothered me since they were built around the controls and not the other way around when it comes to the original Resident Evil games. You play this REmake or Zero with the alternate controls and you'll have to adjust yourself almost everytime the camera angle changes.

However, at the same time I'm sure they'll add alternate controls to REmake 2 for the people who just despise tank controls and that's a good thing, that means more people would buy it.

Oh boy, lol.

Hey now. I have played RE6 as well, and didn't even put it on the list. Even though all my RE's are the newer ones, I still agree with the favored opinion on here that RE6 sucks.

Non stop waves of enemies, a bad Michael Bay movie of plot and set pieces, and a ton more that makes me not like it.

I'll complete it someday, but I have no interest in doing it anytime soon. Leon done, Jake done, working on Chris and I just said "nope... done here."

I really like the franchise so far of what I've played, and I even platinumed RE5 back when it came out. I had complaints about it since it wasn't survival horror and I was going in expecting that. I much much much prefer a game like Dead Space or The Evil Within since their atmosphere is through the roof and the gameplay was far better than the ones I played.

I'm going into these games open minded about old school controls, but hoping to garner a game experience with great atmosphere, characters, plot, music, and if some great gameplay is thrown in that's a bonus, but I'm not expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom