• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Lundz-x

A video showing all costumes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiPxG9fGHHc

You can change costumes anytime you want during a game by using a suitcase in your inventory. Given the amount of costumes Rebecca has it's a great idea.

And our concerns turned out to be true, Billy was robbed.
He has only 4 costumes: his default one, the mafia suit, Cody's costume and wolf force costume.
:(

Are all costumes unlocked from the beginning?

Astral Dog

I don't think we'll get any post-launch DLC at all, that'd be out of keeping with basically all of Capcom's remasters. Even when they add substantial additional content like with DMC4SE, an ordinary patch is too much to hope for outside of the base game. Though that could be more to do with the whole Access Games situation - isn't the RE0 team mostly internal, unlike what happened there?

In any case, hopefully we'll be surprised, and they'll decide to do themed Valentines' and Halloween costumes for Rebecca through the year, maybe with a stars-and-stripes bikini for Independence Day.
May Capgod hear you.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Man
capcom stepped it up.
Meh-i platinumed REmake in 3 days ill have yours too Zero.

True story, I've replayed REmake at least once a year since it was released. Didn't get hit by a boulder once until I went for the no save trophy, got flattened twice.

O the humanity

Don't wanna jinx anything, but I've never been caught by a lurker, either.

Never worked on speed running RE0 much, not sure how hard the S-Rank (3:30) is

True story, I've replayed REmake at least once a year since it was released. Didn't get hit by a boulder once until I went for the no save trophy, got flattened twice.

O the humanity

Don't wanna jinx anything, but I've never been caught by a lurker, either.

Never worked on speed running RE0 much, not sure how hard the S-Rank (3:30) is

It always seems insane.
But after running it a handful of times for all other trophies well be sprinting weaponless through zero as well sub 3hrs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, but RE1 had some pretty nasty trophies, which were a lot easier with the new controls.

lol wut.

The trophies were the same difficulty with or without the causalized controls. I'm not one to poop on people generally, but the tank controls are literally a "git gud" moment.

The only "hard" one is the knife-run. Everything else once you've played the game once or twice is do-able within a two-hour run.

Bio0's trophy list, looking at the PS4 one is slightly harder but the same level of ease. The only tricky one will be the "no heal items" and even then the casualized controls aren't going to save you from being hit/going into danger any less than the tank controls.

-MD-

But its faster, and makes the game easier.

Yes, but RE1 had some pretty nasty trophies, which were a lot easier with the new controls. I guess the same goes to RE0.

bruh_git_gud_mlg_crankys_advice__by_mangledarobowitswag-d8ntbbb.png

The game was never designed or intended to be played with those controls, it's basically cheating.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is the same conversation that was had when REmaster was released. Both control schemes are valid. If you want to play the game the way it was meant to be played, use the original controls. If you don't want to bother with tank controls and think you'll enjoy the game more with alternate controls, go for it.

kamineko

It always seems insane.
But after running it a handful of times for all other trophies well be sprinting weaponless through zero as well sub 3hrs.

True that. I guess if things get desperate earning infinite ammo from Leech Hunter really will leave no excuse

I'm not even much of a trophy guy, but I had to have the REmake one, and I will have this one as well

A video showing all costumes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiPxG9fGHHc

You can change costumes anytime you want during a game by using a suitcase in your inventory. Given the amount of costumes Rebecca has it's a great idea.

And our concerns turned out to be true, Billy was robbed.
He has only 4 costumes: his default one, the mafia suit, Cody's costume and wolf force costume.
:(

Ughh. The clipping on Rebecca's nurse costume is pretty distracting.

This is the same conversation that was had when REmaster was released. Both control schemes are valid. If you want to play the game the way it was meant to be played, use the original controls. If you don't want to bother with tank controls and think you'll enjoy the game more with alternate controls, go for it.

nah dawg thats blasphemous
tank_PNG1317.png

Vibranium

Banned
Aw man, it sucks that Billy didn't end up getting more costumes after all. Maybe instead he can show up in the CG movie that Rebecca is going to be in...I hope.

kamineko

Never played either of these. Should I start with OG RE first and play Zero second?

From a gameplay perspective, playing REmake second might be better, because it's just a better game

Storywise, REmake->RE0 makes more sense to me even though they are chronologically out of order. RE0 assumes you know who Wesker (and Birkin and Spencer) is/are so the details they fill in are more meaningful.

I think it's all good either way

From a gameplay perspective, playing REmake second might be better, because it's just a better game

Storywise, REmake->RE0 makes more sense to me even though they are chronologically out of order. RE0 assumes you know who Wesker (and Birkin and Spencer) is/are so the details they fill in are more meaningful.

I think it's all good either way

This is true, I change my vote go REmake first then Zero.

Melchiah

Agreed. Choosing the modern option isn't cheating, and I have no idea why its existence seems to bother some so much. After all, the way others play the game has no effect whatsoever on their own experience. I played the PS1 REs with tank controls, but nowadays I rather play with the other option, just like I did with REmake.

Agreed. Choosing the modern option isn't cheating, and I have no idea why its existence seems to bother some so much. After all, the way others play the game has no effect whatsoever on their own experience. I played the PS1 REs with tank controls, but nowadays I rather play with the other option, just like I did with REmake.

It inarguably makes the game a lot easier, by allowing your character to move in ways the enemies are not designed for, but as long as OG controls are included I really don't care if alternate ones are present and people can use them if they have more fun with them.

Melchiah

It inarguably makes the game a lot easier, by allowing your character to move in ways the enemies are not designed for, but as long as OG controls are included I really don't care if alternate ones are present and people can use them if they have more fun with them.

Easier, yes, but that's not cheating in itself. I tried playing REmake with the tank controls, but the modern option was better for me.

kamineko

I'm glad we're having this argument now instead of Monday night.

Get it all out

Neff

Yes, but RE1 had some pretty nasty trophies, which were a lot easier with the new controls. I guess the same goes to RE0.

REmaster is the only game I've ever gotten a Platinum for, and I did the entire thing with tank controls.

The new controls are basically an additional stacking difficulty option for those who have trouble playing the old way. While I think it's a shame that Capcom put it in as the default option, I've seen first hand how much more people enjoy playing the game the new way. It might reduce the game's beautiful mechanics and encounter design to the level of farce, it might deprive people of a superior horror experience, but it's also letting players who suffer virtual spatial disorientation enjoy the game, in cases for the first time, which is only a good thing.

Ah fuck it the game's super pretty, and I didn't totally dislike it back in the day. And at it's base, it's still good-ol Resident Evil. Preordered.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
wrong thread

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I always thought it was the weakest of the classic RE's, but I still can't wait to play it again.

If ONLY it had item boxes..........

If it means someone that was turned off by the classic controls will now get to play these great games, I'm fine with the new controls being an option. They fundamentally alter the balance of the enemy encounters though, which is obviously gonna detract from the survival horror aspects of the game. The tank controls may take a bit of getting used to, but anyone who claims to like these games should give them an extended try, if they can get over that hurdle they will likely enjoy these games even more.

I think it will be interesting to see how this game goes with a lot of people. I myself played it on GameCube and never finished it, I played right on the heels after completing RE4 and REmake back to back and was a little underwhelmed with it compared to those.

Fast forward to now and I'm super hyped and can't wait. I really miss this style of game and can't wait to dig into it again, the fact I barely got past the train section with it last time so no very little of whats in the game kind of makes me feel like I'm getting a brand new RE game again.

But my main point is that it will be interested to see if now after being starved of this type of game for so long opinion changes on RE0 or not. People complained about being tired of the RE formula when this came out whereas I think a lot of people will be super into this now because of the hunger that old school RE formula.

Peace Tea

My main beef with REmake was key/pendant management. "Oh this key is needed now, time to backtrack towards a save room (item chest) ." For those familiar with the RE0: Are the majority of enemy encounters such that you DONT have to have ur sidekick fully stocked with ammo/health items?

Id really prefer offloading unlockables into the sidekicks inventory, and maybe only allowing two of their slots for weapon/ammo.

Its really my only reservation before buying this game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think it will be interesting to see how this game goes with a lot of people. I myself played it on GameCube and never finished it, I played right on the heels after completing RE4 and REmake back to back and was a little underwhelmed with it compared to those.

Fast forward to now and I'm super hyped and can't wait. I really miss this style of game and can't wait to dig into it again, the fact I barely got past the train section with it last time so no very little of whats in the game kind of makes me feel like I'm getting a brand new RE game again.

But my main point is that it will be interested to see if now after being starved of this type of game for so long opinion changes on RE0 or not. People complained about being tired of the RE formula when this came out whereas I think a lot of people will be super into this now because of the hunger that old school RE formula.

Personally think the claims of classic RE fatigue that were attached to the game at release are pretty exaggerated. REmake came out less than a year beforehand and was universally acclaimed. The problems with the game then will still be very evident today, it just doesn't do anything particularly well.

My main beef with REmake was key/pendant management. "Oh this key is needed now, time to backtrack towards a save room (item chest) ." For those familiar with the RE0: Are the majority of enemy encounters such that you DONT have to have ur sidekick fully stocked with ammo/health items?

Id really prefer offloading unlockables into the sidekicks inventory, and maybe only allowing two of their slots for weapon/ammo.

This is easily the worst RE for backtracking, as it doesn't even have item boxes. I can't answer your specific question, as it's been a while, other than to say I'd imagine the key system would be the same as REmake. You will likely end up using one character as your main, and the other as an item box essentially. You won't want to give them good ammo/weapons as they might waste them on Zombies.

braves01

Banned
I can't wait for this to unlock come Tuesday.This is the only RE I haven't played yet. Going blind into a classic style RE with REmake HD quality presentation is gonna be legit.

Neff

It's quite well balanced in this regard. I typically make sure each character has a weapon and ammo, which leaves 8 slots for other stuff. You'll find though that there are many occasions where you're forced to separate so you can't trade items.

Personally think the claims of classic RE fatigue that were attached to the game at release are pretty exaggerated. REmake came out less than a year beforehand and was universally acclaimed. The problems with the game then will still be very evident today, it just doesn't do anything particularly well.

This is easily the worst RE for backtracking, as it doesn't even have item boxes. I can't answer your specific question, as it's been a while, other than to say I'd imagine the system would be the same as REmake

What I mean is that coming off the back of REmake sure it was panned, but now coming after years of RE not being what fans of RE back then wanted, the game might just seem not as bad as it did then.

Markitron

What I mean is that coming off the back of REmake sure it was panned, but now coming after years of RE not being what fans of RE back then wanted, the game might just seem not as bad as it did then.

I like the game but I doubt RE's recent fall off a cliff will make this game seem any better. No kind of new perspective will excuse the game's fundamental flaws. At least IMO anyway.

I like the game but I doubt RE's recent fall off a cliff will make this game seem any better. No kind of new perspective will excuse the game's fundamental flaws. At least IMO anyway.

Well I disagree, for me I started the game, got stuck and never continued back when it came out. Now I'm so damned hyped to play it, so for me I am way more hyped for it now than I was back then.

Nemesis_

The game gives you, like, two keys throughout the whole thing and most of these only unlock two or one door. It's not as "bad" as REmake was.

There are other items that you might need to carry around like statues or tablets / reliefs or single-use keys but it's never really given you heaps of items at once like REmake did. I honestly feel like the critical path in RE Zero is much more linear than in REmake.

There is one major item that you might need to backtrack for, which is the
hookshot

The thing about RE Zero is that you can literally drop items anywhere and the map will let you track what and where you dropped stuff all the time too.

Markitron

Well I disagree, for me I started the game, got stuck and never continued back when it came out. Now I'm so damned hyped to play it, so for me I am way more hyped for it now than I was back then.

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone that has played and finished the game previously, I can't really speak for someone that has only played the prologue (which btw is by FAR the best part of the game).

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone that has played and finished the game previously, I can't really speak for someone that has only played the prologue (which btw is by FAR the best part of the game).

Which is fair enough, but there seems to be a lot of people in this thread pretty hyped for the game, some of which also finished it, but anyway. I still think a poor old school RE game is infinitely better than modern RE, of course just my opinion, one which a large number of people disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom