• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Resident Evil series but never owned a GameCube so I missed this. Is it worth it? Does it have any good scares and/or suspenseful atmosphere? That's all I care for!

Garlador

Love the Resident Evil series but never owned a GameCube so I missed this. Is it worth it? Does it have any good scares and/or suspenseful atmosphere? That's all I care for!

Yes and yes.

Resident Evil Zero is vastly underrated. Don't go in expecting the best RE game, but it's a huge personal favorite of mine that was dripping with some great atmosphere, great suspenseful moments, and some really old-school style puzzles and flair.

It was criticized at the time for being "a bit strange" (to put it lightly) with leech queen monsters and zombie baboons and giant mutant bats, but compared to the stuff that followed, it's almost pedestrian by comparison.

I give it a HEARTY recommendation. And I say that as someone who has played every game and easily feels Zero deserves a spot in my top 5.

It's worth it, and does have some well done moments. Atmosphere isn't quite as foreboding as REmake, but more so than Nemesis and CV. The familiar aspects of it and it being a direct prequel to REmake sort of undercuts it in that department.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

I say yes, particularly considering the price point.

It's not as good as REmake, but what is, really? It's going to have the best technical presentation of all the "classic" style games, because all of the original assets were available for the team.

It has some genuinely tense moments, and a decent amount of puzzles.

If you like the older games, go for it

SkylineRKR

Zero is a good RE game. I didn't like the item management and wasn't a fan of the co-op in battles (bosses you fight solo are far easier), but its a classic RE through and through. The last of its kind.

Did you get REmake HD?

Yup! Absolutely loved it!

Yes and yes.

Resident Evil Zero is vastly underrated. Don't go in expecting the best RE game, but it's a huge personal favorite of mine that was dripping with some great atmosphere, great suspenseful moments, and some really old-school style puzzles and flair.

It was criticized at the time for being "a bit strange" (to put it lightly) with leech queen monsters and zombie baboons and giant mutant bats, but compared to the stuff that followed, it's almost pedestrian by comparison.

I give it a HEARTY recommendation. And I say that as someone who has played every game and easily feels Zero deserves a spot in my top 5.

It's worth it, and does have some well done moments. Atmosphere isn't quite as foreboding as REmake, but more so than Nemesis and CV. The familiar aspects of it and it being a direct prequel to REmake sort of undercuts it in that department.

I say yes, particularly considering the price point.

It's not as good as REmake, but what is, really? It's going to have the best technical presentation of all the "classic" style games, because all of the original assets were available for the team.

It has some genuinely tense moments, and a decent amount of puzzles.

If you like the older games, go for it

It's a solid game. Go for it.

Awesome! Day 1 it is then ;) Thanks!

Having had this creep up on me and the preorder stuff 'expiring' this weekend, what's the best way to get this game for bonus content and likely performance? Was the PC version of REmake good to bank on the same for 0, and is that something I should play using a controller rather than mouse/kb?

I've never played these games on PC (Gamecube was the last classic RE console, modern on consoles), so I have no idea what to expect. If there's no real benefit, I may just wait to pick up a bundle, if there is one, on PS4.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Having had this creep up on me and the preorder stuff 'expiring' this weekend, what's the best way to get this game for bonus content and likely performance? Was the PC version of REmake good to bank on the same for 0, and is that something I should play using a controller rather than mouse/kb?

I've never played these games on PC (Gamecube was the last classic RE console, modern on consoles), so I have no idea what to expect. If there's no real benefit, I may just wait to pick up a bundle, if there is one, on PS4.

Resident Evil's PC ports are very good, MT Framework Engine works great with PC (the engine all RE's run on). PC will be the only version of the game that has 60fps, and there likely will be a lot of model swapping/modifications if you're interested in that stuff.

Haunted

If you love the Resident Evil series, especially the classic trilogy, you'll absolutely love this.

Resident Evil's PC ports are very good, MT Framework Engine works great with PC (the engine all RE's run on). PC will be the only version of the game that has 60fps, and there likely will be a lot of model swapping/modifications if you're interested in that stuff.

Thanks, looks like I'll put in the Steam preorder later today.

Was split between PC and PS4, but ordered up the PS4 variant at Best Buy. Going with it to support the physical version on the shelf and might as well get REmake HD along with it. Haven't played it HD yet, though as I've noted in the past, big fan of these games from the GC days (still have them and the GC hooked up).

Looking forward to it. Per the pre-order DLC, I feel like playing a quick story mode USFIV as Cody.

Seik

Banned
Can't wait to get my copy of Origins Collection, both of these games getting more exposure is such a good thing! :)

Unai

To be honest, I think that at this point the PC is the best place to buy any Resident Evil even for consistency sake. Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica will be the only titles missing after remake 2 and I doubt they won't be released at some point. If in 5 years you want to marathon the whole series you won't have to think abou retro compatibility and / or hooking up different consoles in your TV.

Melchiah

I have a faint recollection of someone saying there's a point in the game, a bit like in Code Veronica, where you can screw yourself over if you don't have the right items with you. Does my memory play tricks on me, or is there something like that, and if so, where exactly? Without spoilers, if possible. =)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Haven't been keeping up with this just bought it. You think its possible someone can mod Co-op into the PC version
I really hope so!

More hyped for this than any "new" game.

Semajer

I have a faint recollection of someone saying there's a point in the game, a bit like in Code Veronica, where you can screw yourself over if you don't have the right items with you. Does my memory play tricks on me, or is there something like that, and if so, where exactly? Without spoilers, if possible. =)

I don't think there's a way to screw yourself. You might need to backtrack a lot if you've forgotten the item you need at several points in the game. This game is not CVX, thank God.

Let's hope EU PSN can get a preload this time around. Away from my PS4 until tomorrow so I will have to wait.

We probably won't sadly get a preload.

Tizoc

Middle east gaf
The hd collection is out go check ur usual stores
Gonna go grab my copy later today

I don't think there's a way to screw yourself. You might need to backtrack a lot if you've forgotten the item you need at several points in the game. This game is not CVX, thank God.
Also remember where you drop items when you happen to need to free up inventory.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Let's hope EU PSN can get a preload this time around. Away from my PS4 until tomorrow so I will have to wait.

We probably won't sadly get a preload.

I just bought it and the pre-load is available now.

Also remember where you drop items when you happen to need to free up inventory.

Don't dropped items appear on the map?

Mr_Zombie

There are few moments in the game where Rebecca and Billy are separated, or one character is not available to use for some time, and thus you are forced to use only one of them. So you should be sure to always have both of them equipped with weapons and ammo (you shouldn't, for example, turn Rebecca into a health items mule while Billy act as the muscle guy).

Also, there's one item (
hookshot
) that looks like a one-puzzle item, but you will need it few times during the game (think of the valve handle from RE2 - an item you pick up early in the game to extinguish the helicopter and yet you also need it few hours later in the sewers to rise a bridge). So you better not drop it somewhere in a far away place.

Don't dropped items appear on the map?

Yes, they do.

Not really, since there's no magic box system, you need to leave items in the ground, so sometimes may be necessary some backtracking to get them once you realize you need them again.

Melchiah

There are few moments in the game where Rebecca and Billy are separated, or one character is not available to use for some time, and thus you are forced to use only one of them. So you should be sure to always have both of them equipped with weapons and ammo (you shouldn't, for example, turn Rebecca into a health items mule while Billy act as the muscle guy).

Also, there's one item (
hookshot
) that looks like a one-puzzle item, but you will need it few times during the game (think of the valve handle from RE2 - an item you pick up early in the game to extinguish the helicopter and yet you also need it few hours later in the sewers to rise a bridge). So you better not drop it somewhere in a far away place.

Thanks for the advice. What if that particular item is in Rebecca's inventory, when I'm going with Billy, or vice versa?

I always had mixed feelings about RE0 but I'm really looking forward to this anyway.

It definitely has a lot going for it in terms of being a 'classic RE', despite some of the issues like the mostly lacklustre enemy design etc.

I've never actually finished this game somehow. I originally rented it for Gamecube back in 2002 and since I sucked so much at these sorts of games back then I doubt I even made it off of the train. I got the Wii version in around 2010 but gave up on it at some point, presumably out of apathy more than outright boredom/frustration.

I'm still really excited to play the remaster, but kind of wish the game had just done certain things differently (such as: had crimson heads ala REmake; been darker/scarier in general, not that it's a slouch in that department compared to most other RE games; had item boxes even though I guess in theory you can just designate appropriate areas as 'drop off zones' for items)

I always liked Rebecca appearance wise, she's the only RE girl I've ever found particularly crush-worthy. And Billy wasn't that bad a character I guess. I don't remember much of the story from what I played of it, other than it being pretty out there.

It looks like they did a great job with this remaster on the technical side of things... Fingers crossed I manage to play it all the way through this time (come to think of it, I've never actually finished RE3 or CV either, though I think I prefer those games to this one overall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom