• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

100 likes in one day, thank you gaf!

a new image from the team, the cover of the "trial edition", which hopefully it will be released in the next months.

UwW23ye.jpg

I watched a "playthrough" of this on YouTube (with Leon) and the latter parts of the game art wise (laboratory backgrounds) and plot wise (make a vaccine) seem way too similar to RE2.

I am disappointed because the game does not look "almost completely different!" as I kept reading for years.

Also bosses/mini bosses aside, the enemies seem to be crows, zombies and dogs only?

Are other type of monsters (such as Hunters, Lickers, Plants etc) absent from this build only or were they never in RE1.5 anyway?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It seems they made the right decision. 1.5 seems a little uninspired compared to 2. But it's a cool project to resurrect it.

Raydeen

I watched a "playthrough" of this on YouTube (with Leon) and the latter parts of the game art wise (laboratory backgrounds) and plot wise (make a vaccine) seem way too similar to RE2.

I am disappointed because the game does not look "almost completely different!" as I kept reading for years.

Also bosses/mini bosses aside, the enemies seem to be crows, zombies and dogs only?

Are other type of monsters (such as Hunters, Lickers, Plants etc) absent from this build only or were they never in RE1.5 anyway?

I remember seeing mutated Gorillas (or was it Werewolves?) in the Gamefan previews.

Possibly because the game was the foundations for Resident Evil 2?

Wtf did you expect?

This is in response to my inquiry regarding the low amount of enemies or my disappointment regarding its similarity to RE2? In case of the latter, RE1.5 was commonly described "almost completely different from RE2!", but it's not the case for the last 1/3rd of the game in terms of backgrounds and plot points.

Glad to see this is still getting worked on. I don't know if I'll ever actually play it all the way through but the I get a lot of fun out of watching it slowly be revealed. Just the knowledge it exists is almost enough. The mystery of forgotten survival horror...

kick51

Banned
This is in response to my inquiry regarding the low amount of enemies or my disappointment regarding its similarity to RE2? In case of the latter, RE1.5 was commonly described "almost completely different from RE2!", but it's not the case for the last 1/3rd of the game in terms of backgrounds and plot points.

then you read something from someone who didn't know what they were talking about and put all your trust in it, apparently

randomwab

The playthrough you saw is probably of the leaked build which is, sadly, missing the majority of what made 1.5 different. Consider that 1.5 had a completely different Police Station, Sewers and Factory to 2 Final, and that the labs were far greater in size. 2 Final retains those same beats, but made everything more focused and brought it far closer to Resident Evil 1 in a lot of ways.

For example, 2 Final reintroducing typewriters, ink ribbons, item chests and herbs, now all mainstays of the series which had all been replaced by modern items in 1.5, albeit serving the same purpose. They also introduced Claire to make a story connection with the original, and changed the design of the police station to fit the more stylistic puzzle design of the original compared to 1.5's more realistic puzzle design. They dropped an additional side character from each protagonist too as a way to, presumably, focus the narrative, with Leon initially having both Marvin and Ada for partners and Elza having Sherry and John aka Kendo. They also changed the fundamental idea behind the encounter design, with 1.5 following the philosophy of fear in enemy numbers and being well armed, both in weapons and in armor.

2 Final is arguably my favourite game which is why I, and many others, find 1.5 so fascinating. It's like reading a first draft screenplay of a film you love or hearing the authors original intentions for your favourite book's characters; you can look at all this and see the designers finding their feet in the aftershock of Resident Evil being a massive success. They immediately run in a direction which they eventually find to be totally wrong, but in doing so they found what actually made the first game so popular and were able to build on that to not only make a fantastic game, but a long lasting franchise.

1.5 is actually awful, but I love it because it deepens my love for Kamiya, Mikami and 2 Final all the more.

I really like the idea of the modern police department, though. I guess I'm not that into more dated interior designs - they just feel dead and old. Probably a good setting for horror, but I feel removed from things a bit. One of the main reasons I'm interested in playing 1.5 when it comes out is to explore the modern police station and hear the different music.

To clarify I should note I had an average knowledge of RE1.5, I wasn't completely clueless about it. I knew who the main characters were, all the supporting cast, have seen all the released (by Capcom) videos etc.

The playthrough you saw is probably of the leaked build which is, sadly, missing the majority of what made 1.5 different. Consider that 1.5 had a completely different Police Station, Sewers and Factory to 2 Final, and that the labs were far greater in size.

That's more like what I expected. I suppose it's as you say and the leak is missing quite a bit of content because the video I watched went like this:

All new Police Station (all new content yay!!), a few unremarkable sewer backgrounds etc (yawn?), RE2's Umbrella labs (same ol same ol :-/).

klee123

From what I heard RE 1.5 was supposed to have much more enemies in one room at a time, which explains the lower polygon count on each character/enemy overall.

There would be gameplay elements not seen in the final version such as hand grenades (added in RE4), and your character showing visible damage.

Seems to me that the dev team got really ambitious, but ended up having problems and thus scrapped it for a more simplistic(in terms of gameplay), but better looking game.

OK so I'm having a bit of trouble locating a place to download this from (Don't mean to revive an old thread) also is there a way to burn this and play it on a PS1? If so which release of this should I look for to do that, and can any of the patched version run on a PS1? Thanks in advance

SoldnerKei

it's been a long time since I saw this project, damn

as much as I liked RE2, I think this early version had a better police station than the final product, will this ever be finished? lol

Vamphuntr

OK so I'm having a bit of trouble locating a place to download this from (Don't mean to revive an old thread) also is there a way to burn this and play it on a PS1? If so which release of this should I look for to do that, and can any of the patched version run on a PS1? Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by playing. The only version leaked is broken and incomplete. You need to use the debug menus to travel to the different areas because they are not all connected. The key items don't work or aren't coded and the few events there is are bugged. You need to use the debug menus to add weapons and items Some guns also crash the game when you use them.

The only way to "play" it is in an emulator since it crashes all the time.

Not sure what you mean by playing. The only version leaked is broken and incomplete. You need to use the debug menus to travel to the different areas because they are not all connected. The key items don't work or aren't coded and the few events there is are bugged. You need to use the debug menus to add weapons and items Some guns also crash the game when you use them.

The only way to "play" it is in an emulator since it crashes all the time.

OK now thats exactly what I needed to hear, simple and to the point. See from all the different threads I have read everyone spends so much time talking about what works no one mentions what doesn't that easily. I have a patch that is supposed to make it more playable so I'll see how that goes but emulator sounds like the best bet then.

Man I thought this bump was real news.
Hopefully something by the end of the year.

First time I've seen another Regina avatar on GAF even if she's sandwiched between others. /respect

*brofist*

I love DC 1 and 2, and Regina is one of my favourite female protagonists in gaming ever.

i'm playing this game on a chipped PSX and a CRT TV. At least we know work is still in progress. Wouldn't it be cray if REmake 2 used re 1.5 as a blueprint? What are the odds of this?

RhyDin

Holy bump. Thought this was a new thing, forgot all about it. What's the full status of this?

When it's done, etc. They post on other forums, but subbing to the youtube or checking facebook would probably be the best way to get up to date news on releases from the team when they're available.

So they just took Dino Crisis 2's post-game mini game and added RE 1.5 assets? Cool, I guess.

I guess in concept? They said it's more modeled after Mercenaries mode, but for 1.5 - the engine for this was built from scratch. See http://www.moddb.com/engines/squeeze-bomb for information on it.

gelf

Can't say I see the appeal of that Battle Coliseum at all.

i'm playing this game on a chipped PSX and a CRT TV. At least we know work is still in progress. Wouldn't it be cray if REmake 2 used re 1.5 as a blueprint? What are the odds of this?

From everything I've seen of I really hope it doesn't and I doubt we'll see anything from 1.5 in there. Maybe they could use some designs for extra rooms but I think the actual RE2 looks way better. I'd still like to play 1.5 though.

Top Bottom