• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

On the PS5 version, did you try turning off a bunch of the graphical options like chromatic aberration etc.? It looks a lot cleaner with those off imo. Give it a shot if you haven't yet, see if that improves it.

I did and yeah it looks better. They still did a bad job with whatever upscaling and AA solution because the image quality still isn't good. Much worse iq than Village.

the PS5 version never had a deadzone issue tho. yes the deadzone on PS5 is still 10% (slightly more ~12%), but 10% isn't terrible, it is bad if you play competitive Apex, but not a SP shooter, and is not rarely the default for many games.

it was specifically the PC, and to an even more extreme extend the Xbox version, that have issues with that.
we are talking 25% and 35% deadzones repectively, which is absolutely mindboggling and a repeat of the deadzone issues of REmake 2... REmake 3 was made by a different team and didn't have the deadzone issue on Xbox. REmake 3 on Xbox had a similar deadzone to the REmake 4 Demo on PS5

Exactly the ps5 version aiming was already decent. That image quality tho.

Punk Ashley makes me wanna gauge my eyes out
Missed opportunity by not dressing Leon as her Sk8er Boi
I did and yeah it looks better. They still did a bad job with whatever upscaling and AA solution because the image quality still isn't good. Much worse iq than Village.
Yeah not defending it because I didn't really pay that much attention to the graphics' details to be honest. I was busy going in the Options menu fucking with the controls every other minute.

Barakov

Gold Member
These new costumes are
jerry springer what GIF by The Maury Show

TonyK

I prefer not to speak about the other forum, but I think this is very important for people like me that doesn't like the actual control in Xbox. In Era there is a person (Socivol) that is playing the final game, not the demo, in Xbox series X, and he says controls are greatly improved from the demo:

Sad news for anyone looking for additional control settings to tweak in the final version of the game. I can confirm the settings available are the exact same ones from the demo (at least on Xbox). This is with the Day 1 patch.
He does not feel the same way to control. He feels much more responsive in the full game. The best way I can describe it is that he feels heavier in the demo.
Yeah I am replaying the parts in the demo and trying to compare for you guys. The aim is MUCH smoother. Flipping between the demo and the full game it's night and day with the same settings. It felt like there was a slight delay in movement in the demo when aiming and that is completely gone. I was struggling with the first two encounters sometimes and was popping headshots in the full game.

I can also tell you have to exert much less force on the joystick to get Leon moving so they fixed something between demo and full release.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I prefer not to speak about the other forum, but I think this is very important for people like me that doesn't like the actual control in Xbox. In Era there is a person (Socivol) that is playing the final game, not the demo, in Xbox series X, and he says controls are greatly improved from the demo:

There's no excuse not to fix a dead zone so I hope this is true.

Hopefully performance is more locked in too.

Banned

I don't like it when people speak in terms of "feels heavier" or "feels smoother"

it would be nice if someone who actually is knowledgeable about aiming on a controller, and has access to the day 1 patch, would chime in.

since digital foundry already talked about how bad it plays on Xbox, and due to them often directly giving feedback to developers/publishers while testing, I hope that they somehow managed to get the issue to the team and them actually fixing it.

but I don't trust people that talk with the mentioned terms above about controls, because that was always a very bad idea in the past.

I would be way less skeptical if he said something like "feels like a 10% deadzone and a wide reaction curve" or something along those lines... because then I'd at least know the guy knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Salz01

Those outfits are horrible. More and more thinking about getting this on pc so better outfits can be modded in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Fan-fucking-tastic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would be way less skeptical if he said something like "feels like a 10% deadzone and a wide reaction curve" or something along those lines... because then I'd at least know the guy knows his stuff.

I don't think most people know about deadzones or curves like that lol.

If he's playing the demo and full game back and forth and saying the full game feels better to control, that definitely means there's some changes there. Maybe they got data from playtesters or their internal QA flagged it, or maybe DF gave them some 'tips' like you said.

In any case, it's a welcome news.

Banned
I don't think most people know about deadzones or curves like that lol.

If he's playing the demo and full game back and forth and saying the full game feels better to control, that definitely means there's some changes there. Maybe they got data from playtesters or their internal QA flagged it, or maybe DF gave them some 'tips' like you said.

In any case, it's a welcome news.

it means something has changed for sure, but if this dude is a casual player, then it could actually mean for someone like me it actually got worse.

because there's a relatively high number of players out there that basically use the right analog stick like an arcade stick, as in they just slam that thing right to the edge each time they move the camera/aim.

these kind of players are the reason Aim Acceleration exists. Aim Acceleration is like a pair of training wheels on a bike for kids, it's a safety net for people who aren't good with aiming on a stick. but it ultimately, just like trainig wheels on a bike, will get in the way if you actually know how to do it correctly, and slow you down immensely while also making the whole procedure feel bad.

so if this guy is someone like that, someone who just goes 0% stick movement or 100% and nothing in between, maybe even letting go of the stick while aiming each time he wants to center it... then his opinion on this matter is sadly useless.

improving the controls for that type of player doesn't mean it improved controls for the people that actually use the 99% of the stick that this type of player ignores.

him using super vague terms doesn't give me confidence in his opinion is all I'm saying

Last edited:

TonyK

it means something has changed for sure, but if this dude is a casual player, then it could actually mean for someone like me it actually got worse.

because there's a relatively high number of players out there that basically use the right analog stick like an arcade stick, as in they just slam that thing right to the edge each time they move the camera/aim.

these kind of players are the reason Aim Acceleration exists. Aim Acceleration is like a pair of training wheels on a bike for kids, it's a safety net for people who aren't good with aiming on a stick. but it ultimately, just like trainig wheels on a bike, will get in the way if you actually know how to do it correctly, and slow you down immensely while also making the whole procedure feel bad.

so if this guy is someone like that, someone who just goes 0% stick movement or 100% and nothing in between, maybe even letting go of the stick while aiming each time he wants to center it... then his opinion on this matter is sadly useless.

improving the controls for that type of player doesn't mean it improved controls for the people that actually use the 99% of the stick that this type of player ignores.

him using super vague terms doesn't give me confidence in his opinion is all I'm saying
If he's a person writing in a videogame forum and he has access to the final version of the game, he is not a "casual".

Last edited:

John_Ryder

I have a youtuber friend (cant mention the name) who has the game already and is saying that the final release controls much better, almost night and day difference compared to the demo

Aiming feels much more smooth as well as the deadzone, he is playing it on ps5
And yet people will keep finding excuses to bitch about the game and say they won't buy it.

SeraphJan

My original RE4 muscle memory serves me well, beat the demo without even getting hit, this proves at least the Remake is faithful to the original, I like it

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I have a youtuber friend (cant mention the name) who has the game already and is saying that the final release controls much better, almost night and day difference compared to the demo

Aiming feels much more smooth as well as the deadzone, he is playing it on ps5
I knew that was gonna be the case. I wondered if the demo was an older build. Now it makes sense.

Banned
If he's a person writing in a videogame forum and he has access to the final version of the game, he is not a "casual".

you say that, but then we have people, at "reputable" gaming sites, making game preview videos after playing the first 5 hours of a game... that didn't like how the camera is inverted in a game... because they never in 5 hours looked into the options menu to change it...

so casual until proven otherwise.

(also I would consider a not insignificant amount of people on this very site here casuals)

Last edited:
I will counter that when you shoot a wooden door, it doesn't fall apart into large pieces like a cracker.
I’ll counter your point by positing that just because the original mechanic/visual effect wasn’t realistic enough, that doesn’t mean the remake shouldn’t have tried to make a better one instead of not trying at all.

Barricading a door with a dresser and then shooting through the door as an improvised choke point was a legitimate strategy in the original that is lost in the remake. Is it a deal breaker? Not exactly but less tactical options in a combat focused game is disappointing. It seems like the cultists’ shields don’t even break either going from the last trailer, but we’ll have to see if somebody can confirm that.

Madflavor

I’ll counter your point by positing that just because the original mechanic/visual effect wasn’t realistic enough, that doesn’t mean the remake shouldn’t have tried to make a better one instead of not trying at all.

Barricading a door with a dresser and then shooting through the door as an improvised choke point was a legitimate strategy in the original that is lost in the remake. Is it a deal breaker? Not exactly but less tactical options in a combat focused game is disappointing. It seems like the cultists’ shields don’t even break either going from the last trailer, but we’ll have to see if somebody can confirm that.

Right but it's been clear since the demo that they're taking a more realistic approach to the gameplay, as oppose to the arcadey approach from the original. So in that context, it's fine.

Madflavor

I do believe in the self fulfilling prophecy where if you say it'll be a problem, it'll be a problem. Did some people make a stink about RE5 being racist? Yeah they did. But it never reached full blown controversy levels, and it still went on to be the best selling Resident Evil game at the time. And contrary to popular belief, Sheva was not added due to cries of racism. She was always intended to be in the game since early development. We know this for a fact since early storyboards and details were leaked.

I think if they remade Resident Evil 5 today, and not change anything regarding the tribal section, Sheva's alt outfit, etc, you would have plenty of people sperging out online, but the game would still sell very well, and as long as they try to make the best game they possibly can, it'll probably review well too. Just make the best game you can, keep quiet and don't address and draw attention to any outcry.

Nickolaidas

I still don't understand why some people said 5 is racist?
Because for the majority of the game, you see a white man shooting and punching black people who act like ravenous savages. You even go to a village with spear wielding tribesmen who attempt to kill you.

It was a-ok when the exact same thing happened 3 years before with white spaniards, but with black people? No, that was clearly a case of racism.

And the reason it didn't really blow up back then was because society wasn't infected by the woke virus at the time.

If Capcom made RE5 today, they would get more flak than J.K. fucking Rowling.

Right but it's been clear since the demo that they're taking a more realistic approach to the gameplay, as oppose to the arcadey approach from the original. So in that context, it's fine.
Fine for you maybe, but not for everyone. I rather have more gameplay options, and it’s disappointing there’s cut features compared to a GameCube game.

Gonzito

Oh god I joined GAF to not having to discuss politics, racism and all this bullshit that are not related to videogames and here we go again

God 🙏🤣

Madflavor

You seemed to have missed my point, but you also seem way too defensive about a video game that isn’t even out yet.
I'm not defensive I just don't have sympathy for people complaining about not being able to shoot through a door. There are strategies in the Remake that you can't do in the OG. Off the top of my head luring enemies into their own bear traps, lighting the cow on fire and shooting it into the crowd, shooting an enemy at the top of the stairs so that they roll down and knock others in their path, the parry system, and more. So if people are whining they can't shoot through a door, it comes off as nitpicky to me.

Oh god I joined GAF to not having to discuss politics, racism and all this bullshit that are not related to videogames and here we go again

God 🙏🤣
Don't worry, we typically don't, or at least not nearly to the same extent as Era.

Nickolaidas

I'm not defensive I just don't have sympathy for people complaining about not being able to shoot through a door. There are strategies in the Remake that you can't do in the OG. Off the top of my head luring enemies into their own bear traps, lighting the cow on fire and shooting it into the crowd, shooting an enemy at the top of the stairs so that they roll down and knock others in their path, the parry system, and more. So if people are whining they can't shoot through a door, it comes off as nitpicky to me.
Not to mention extremely hypocritical. Imagine adding ten things and taking away one, and yet some people claim they're left with less.

Insanity.

They they should've done it imo is to just retain the ability to wallbang without being able to completely destroy a wood door with three 9mm bullets maybe. Wallbanging is always fucking badass and not being able to shoot through a wooden door with people obviously behind it is a weird decision.

At the same time, I already know once I play it I'll notice it maybe two or three times, shrug and keep playing. Everything seems like a bigger deal in theory when not actually playing.

Top Bottom