• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 is being review bombed on Metacritic

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game shits on the original from a great height.
It takes all the good stuff and improve on them and re-injects the RE horror vibe the REmake Series has to bring it in more consistent with the series.
Everyone bitching about it are just idiots
The only negative the new game has is the whole "you pervert" & "ballistics" comment being removed and Ashley wearing a stupid looking skort.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Just a bunch of petty fanboys, the Resident Evil community can be quite toxic, they like to complain

The Remake is fantastic,the knife system is better than the old imo, at least it keeps you on your toes (but no gamer likes weapon durability it seems 🤷‍♂️)

i think both versions of Resident Evil 4 are amazing, each one worth experiencing on its own if you play through the Remake first, i still recommend playing the original and notice the differences

Fake

Was because the state of the game is shit?

Was TLOUS for PC on steam got review bomb as well or we can just call review bomb when there are a conflict between review score versus user score?

Last edited:

Shakka43

The knife has more use in this version so I understand it being breakable, you fide kitchen knives left and right in the game so this is really a non issue.

Sleepwalker

Technical issues true that!
Runs like fucking ass on the steam deck.

Both resi7 and 8 ran amazing on the deck.
Same engine… the fuck up?
I got 45-60 fps during the first 2 chapters on my deck (havent played more, doing console first) with recommended settings and textures set up to high.

Fredrik

Verified purchases are acceptable but there's no way to enforce something like that on a platform like metacritic reliably. We've seen plenty of examples of dumb fucks coming out of the woodworks to review bomb games.
Yeah I know Metacritic is unreliable. Just saying that when it’s done the right way, like on Steam, then user reviews are usable, even more so than critics reviews since critics never return to a game after launch so the pre-launch review copy state is all they actually show with their scores. A game with a bad review copy will stay as a Metascore 70 game even if it’s updated day 1 and become amazing. User scores on Steam factor in post-launch changes since you see recent reviews and users can change their reviews. If things break a year later then it’ll show. If a magical patch arrive then that’ll also show.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Gameplay is really good but most the iconic and fun parts of the original is gone. Saddler and Salazar are non characters. Game takes itself too seriously. The realism tone RE2R started has damaged the brand.
This.
RE4 was a really fun game.

This is almost like if Neil Cuckmann decided to do a Resident Evil game.

To be honest, reminds me of the change of tone from Uncharted 1,2,3 -----> 4.
The game was fine, but the tone in the 4th one was waaaaay off for an Uncharted game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hmmmmm

Should I...

1. Seethe online and bombard review outlets with shitty 0/10 one sentence reviews?

Or

2. Get back to playing one of my early GotY contenders?

OH THE DECISIONS

Saddler and Salazar are non characters.
Oh no, some rando hooded cultist dude and some Napoleon-looking schmuck from the original are non-characters now?
You know comments like this make me question if people that write them even played the game. Or even the original.
Remake actually explains who the fuck these 2 are, and how they came to be. And that goes for every character. And most of their bickering is surprisingly still there, they just don't call you on the radio for it.
It sure feels like Leon has more one-liners in the new one. Even the giant mecha-Salazar is still there. What the hell are people who claim the massive tone shift are even smoking?

GymWolf

They ruined salazar and the lake boss, i can understand from where they come from:lollipop_squinting:

inb4 people getting mad, it's a joke

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Gameplay is really good but most the iconic and fun parts of the original is gone. Saddler and Salazar are non characters. Game takes itself too seriously. The realism tone RE2R started has damaged the brand.
So damaged that RE2 remake is about to become the best selling game in the series, and RE4 remake is the fastest selling RE ever.

Such damage. Much brand.

T4keD0wN

Even if i disagree this sounds like legit and valid criticism.
Unless its people making multiple accounts or somehow organized its absolutely not "bombing"

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I agree, original RE4 is way better imo.
I dislocated my shoulder on RE4 release day back in 2005. I was in high school. So instead of taking care of my shoulder, I undid the orthopedic whatever holding my arm and played RE4 for weeks as I couldn't go to school. To this day, my shoulder is still busted because of RE4 and me playing it instead of letting it heal. Still the greatest gaming memory I have. I remember my mom making me do chores so I could get some money to buy the game at launch and thinking about it while sweeping floors.

RE4 Remake is better. Flat out. My emotional attachment to the original cannot override the fact that the remake has more gameplay depth, better controls, sometimes brilliantly streamlined set pieces (the Bella Sisters), and expanded ones (the lake). A massive upgrade to atmosphere and a true mix of pure action and survival horror where every bullet counts instead of having a suitcase packed like the OG. And much better boss fights (Salazar, Verdugo and Krauser fights in particular).

Last edited:

Doom85

Even if i disagree this sounds like legit and valid criticism.
Unless its people making multiple accounts or somehow organized its absolutely not "bombing"

I read quite a few reviews. Plenty of them are basically finding ONE fault with the game (rain looks rough! I want to see Ashley’s panties! The game is more difficult! I fucked up and only own a Switch and nothing else!) and using that to “justify” a 1-3 out of 10.

These takes are barely any more helpful in averaging the quality of the game than Amazon reviews that are for a product yet the reviewer gives it 1 or 2 stars purely because their specific package got damaged in transit.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Winning Game Over GIF by The Art Plug
strikes again

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Oh no, some rando hooded cultist dude and some Napoleon-looking schmuck from the original are non-characters now?
You know comments like this make me question if people that write them even played the game. Or even the original.
Remake actually explains who the fuck these 2 are, and how they came to be. And that goes for every character. And most of their bickering is surprisingly still there, they just don't call you on the radio for it.
It sure feels like Leon has more one-liners in the new one. Even the giant mecha-Salazar is still there. What the hell are people who claim the massive tone shift are even smoking?

I like how you're trying to downplay the antagonists to try and justify your point when they have some of the most iconic lines in the series. You just like consuming products dudes, it's okay.

Remember this in the remake?

Oh wait...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I like how you're trying to downplay the antagonists to try and justify your point when they have some of the most iconic lines in the series. You just like consuming products dudes, it's okay.

Remember this in the remake?

Oh wait...

I much prefer Salazar literally getting shot mid speech, and continuing his speech before transforming into an incredibly fast and mobile monstrosity. Much more cold and badass.

i remember back on PS2 like 20 years ago playing this game and it was really fun especially once I beat it and got the rocket launcher and was able to go back through. i never got to the point of playing with the girl in skimpy outfits or anything though.
Ok

Braag

I'd be more surprised if a popular game wasn't review bombed on metacritic. The user score hasn't meant anything for a long time now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Game takes itself too seriously
it still has a playful tone at times and Leon still has a decent share of one liners, he just isn't ostentatiously cheesy and actually takes the situation he's in seriously. Being stuck in a village full of people who want to kill you and abominations of nature running around wouldn't be the best time to act like Sonic the Hedgehog.

One change i really liked is how distrustful he is of Luis (who was my favorite character in the original), which makes sense as he's this random spanish dude running around a village of mentally insane parasite people... you're naturally going to question what the fuck he's doing there, he's clearly on some mission. Not to mention the scene where they free themselves after being chained by Bitores was so much cooler in the remake

Last edited:
Review bombing is losing its impact.
Too many people on the planet so even if it looks like a ton of people are angry it’s really just a drop in the bucket.

Koppelthorn

Banned
Its really fun with gyro aiming on the PS5, I can actually pop concurrent headshots without wanting to cry, and the knife system is much much improved over RE2 Remakes system (which I didn't like very much)

I don't really understand why people would be doing this apart from the Xbox Series control issues and other technical things, but this happens with pretty much every big game release so eh

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Capcom did a wonderful job. But I have to be honest, I really really just wanted the old game with new graphics. They changed everything, and not for the better as far as I'm concerned.

Review bombing is a no no though..

Last edited:
Top Bottom