• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 New trailer - IT IS HERE

g35twinturbo said:
Really? I thought in RE:CV
the Ashford family had something todo with finding the original strand that helped the T/G-Virus get made
? I could be wrong since I haven't played CV for some years now (add to list of play replay throughs.)

It mentions a "mother virus" but in a file, but thats about it, the game has nothing to do with the progenitor virus. RE Zero is the game to really explore it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Linkzg said:
Replaying RE4 now, I honestly think that no game since it has made shooting enemies more enjoyable or satisfying. My only problem with RE4 in terms of control is that I wish you could activate some context sensetive actions at will. I want to be able to roll away or dodge or kick without needing a button telling me to. I mean, they can even have it so you can't be cheap about melee where the enemy could grab your leg and you fall to the floor and have to kill him as he forces his way on to your body (don't think sexual thoughts about big musclar men on each other here). That would be awesome.

agreed on all points.

and it's so bizarre to hear the retconning of resident evil 4's strong points by some, completely ignoring that its most lauded feature was how fantastic the shooting and action--the core of the game--was. some minor changes could be made to the system and there's always room for improvement, but if you think any game has done it better, you're dead wrong. where third person shooting is concerned resident evil 4 rules the roost.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
MiamiWesker said:
It mentions a "mother virus" but in a file, but thats about it, the game has nothing to do with the progenitor virus. RE Zero is the game to really explore it.

interesting, I guess I am going to need to go back and pay Zero. It was my lease favorite :(

Kydd BlaZe

HOLY FUCKING FUCKBALLS FUCKNUTS!

Game of the forever. I truly hope those new screens aren't bullshots. Shit looks incredible. This, Gears of War 2, and Far Cry 2 are my most anticipated games right now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
3 and zero are definitely the weakest (i'm excluding the first person games and the online games), but they're still a blast

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SolidSnakex said:
It worked in RE4 because there were generally a small amount of enemies coming after you. Now you've essentially got a mob coming after you and they expect you to use the same controls from RE4.

Well obviously they havent taken this into account. Guess the game is gonna suck then, no way around it!

Kittonwy

Banned
badcrumble said:
That's odd given that RE4 is almost universally acclaimed as one of the top five games of the last generation. Maybe you just can't figure out how to use the controls properly?

The movement controls was not exactly one of RE4's strengths as a game, now that we're dealing with two functional analog stick, they need to make a game that make use of both analog sticks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kittonwy said:
The movement controls was not exactly one of RE4's strengths as a game, now that we're dealing with two functional analog stick, they need to make a game that make use of both analog sticks.

No they dont need to do anything. But they might, JUST might, have other gameplay elements up their sleeves to help you, so you might wanna wait for more info.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kittonwy said:

No they don't. It's fine how it is. The game's built around it, it's not a third person shooter, it's fine.

Same with this "it's now an action game" stuff. Having a few more enemies and a bit faster enemies doesn't change much. I see this as much an action game as RE4. Not to say it isn't, but it's not turning into Serious Sam Evil 5. It's not like there weren't awesome mobs and fast paced moments in RE4. I mean the first village's sequence was super fast paced, huge mobs, and you were always fearing for your life. A little bit more of that doesn't change everything up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SnakeXs said:
No they don't. It's fine how it is. The game's built around it, it's not a third person shooter, it's fine.

Same with this "it's now an action game" stuff. Having a few more enemies and a bit faster enemies doesn't change much. I see this as much an action game as RE4. Not to say it isn't, but it's not turning into Serious Sam Evil 5. It's not like there weren't awesome mobs and fast paced moments in RE4. I mean the first village's sequence was super fast paced, huge mobs, and you were always fearing for your life. A little bit more of that doesn't change everything up.

But clearly they have played it and know it doesnt work!!!

Kittonwy said:

No they don't, that will ruin the game.

So beautiful, it actually made me put on RE4 for a few hours tonight. I'm still shocked at how creeped out I am at some parts, the tension is unbelievable at times. Just finished the sewer part in the castle and it completely freaked me out, can't wait to see what 5 has in store for us.

Kydd BlaZe

Chibbi Brady said:
So beautiful, it actually made me put on RE4 for a few hours tonight. I'm still shocked at how creeped out I am at some parts, the tension is unbelievable at times. Just finished the sewer part in the castle and it completely freaked me out, can't wait to see what 5 has in store for us.
RE4 is without a doubt the most intense game I have ever played. You just never knew what was around the corner waiting for you. Very few games (if any at all) come close to what RE4 offered in terms of sheer tension.

Daante

Just watched a video interview on gamespot , where producer says

"just wait to E3 everyone.. , there we are gonna show off some totally new stuff/elements that you havent seen before.."

Gief E3 ! :D

MiamiWesker said:

I wouldn't say that. If you update the abilities of the player, you simply have to update the threat of the enemy.

You could have an RE game taking place in a city and Chris could sprint, strafe, jump, dodge, etc and it could be a better survival horror experience than the original games depending on the design.

But simply adding strafe and better maneuverability to the current system without doing anything else could possibly hurt the game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Good lordy Sheva is the sexist RE babe yet. She looks exactly like this lady I knew in college. I love what I'm reading so far about the gameplay. Their may be hope yet that it isn't merely an RE4 clone.

Dark FaZe said:
I wouldn't say that. If you update the abilities of the player, you simply have to update the threat of the enemy.

You could have an RE game taking place in a city and Chris could sprint, strafe, jump, dodge, etc and it could be a better survival horror experience than the original games depending on the design.

But simply adding strafe and better maneuverability to the current system without doing anything else could possibly hurt the game.
I do hope we eventually return to a city. The Village in RE4 is the second best setting in the series, but Raccoon City in RE3/RE2 is bar none the best setting and atmosphere in the entire series. I'd love to see a return to that apocalyptic atmosphere in glorious HD and with RE5 graphics or better.

Kittonwy

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

Your character essentially still moves like a tank, which also limits the amount of aggressiveness you can give the enemies, you can essentially still require stop and pop while updating the movement system in RE because right now if you up the speed on the enemies, running away from them and maneuvering is not an attractive option at all, you still can't keep shooting while backing away, there's still no side movement, however slightly, and no RE4's control scheme is not perfect, it has never been perfect, it can always use improvements.

Nobody is saying Redfield needs to run around like a Niko Bellic or Nathan Drake, but the player character in RE5 can use better mobility, maybe a little more mobility than the guy in Dark Sector, ESPECIALLY when enemies are throwing objects at you, there is such a disconnect between the level of mobility in a cutscene in RE4 and what the player is actually given. Things like allowing the player a button to vault over objects or leap over gaps on rooftops WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT FOR A BUTTON PROMPT while being chased would be great, a melee button would be great. We're not dealing with the GC controller anymore, you have more buttons, make use of them.

Frenck

Banned
So guys let's make a deal, you can keep your weird tank control but we get the ability to walk and aim at the same time :D

I get the reasoning behind the tank controls but there is simply no excuse for not being able to walk (notice how I wrote WALK not run) and aim at the same time. The game would be just as immersive as before but nowhere near as frustrating and mind bendingly retarded to watch for someone who isn't playing. It wouldn't even make the game any easier but it would start to make at least a little bit of sense considering that you play a Spec Ops superhero working for the president.

RE4 may have been a giant step forwards for the series but it's still stuck in the 90's as far as game design is concerned.

Kydd BlaZe

Trailer is finally up on the 360 Marketplace (not sure about PSN). Looks insane in HD.

Words cannot describe how madly in love I am with this game right now.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Trailer is finally up on the 360 Marketplace (not sure about PSN). Looks insane in HD.

Words cannot describe how madly in love I am with this game right now.
Yeah, I just downloaded it from the JPN PSN. Trailer looks great!

Kittonwy said:
Your character essentially still moves like a tank, which also limits the amount of aggressiveness you can give the enemies, you can essentially still require stop and pop while updating the movement system in RE because right now if you up the speed on the enemies, running away from them and maneuvering is not an attractive option at all, you still can't keep shooting while backing away, there's still no side movement, however slightly, and no RE4's control scheme is not perfect, it has never been perfect, it can always use improvements.

Nobody is saying Redfield needs to run around like a Niko Bellic or Nathan Drake, but the player character in RE5 can use better mobility, maybe a little more mobility than the guy in Dark Sector, ESPECIALLY when enemies are throwing objects at you, there is such a disconnect between the level of mobility in a cutscene in RE4 and what the player is actually given. Things like allowing the player a button to vault over objects or leap over gaps on rooftops WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT FOR A BUTTON PROMPT while being chased would be great, a melee button would be great. We're not dealing with the GC controller anymore, you have more buttons, make use of them.
Spot on. I have the same concerns about RE5.

There is that loading animation in the trailer that I find quite chocking. Chris is reloading its gun and zombies are just in front of him. They just don't seem to affect him, he is reloading his weapon asif he was training. "Zombies you said? Can't see them...". Chris feels so disconnected some times in the trailer.

Also on the reloading theme, I would appreciate that Capcom use the same kind of reloading mini-game as Gears of War did but with a higher penalty if the gamer fails: lose the ammo clip and reloading is failed, you have to retry or even lose the weapon if it's a critical failure. The player should feel the stress of the situation and making reloading uncertain could translate it quite well. We should be able to screw things up because of the stress that the game produces. This piece of gameplay could also prevent the game to be a beautiful but also basic shoot'em up. Resident Evil should a survival, arcade massive zombicide is appropriate for Dead Rising not RE.

Kydd BlaZe

BrainZEROX said:
This piece of gameplay could also prevent the game to be a beautiful but also basic shoot'em up.
After watching that trailer, I would hardly call this a "basic shoot'em up." And just the promise of destructable environments (ie. Enemies can burst through walls and even ceilings to get the drop on you) will make for some incredibly intense gameplay. Fucking swarms of enemies constantly in pursuit, coming from every angle is just going to be epic.

Kydd BlaZe said:
After watching that trailer, I would hardly call this a "basic shoot'em up." And just the promise of destructable environments (ie. Enemies can burst through walls and even ceilings to get the drop on you) will make for some incredibly intense gameplay. Fucking swarms of enemies constantly in pursuit, coming from every angle is just going to be epic.
You are right but I really would appreciate that RE's core gameplay aims for survival instead of action/shooter. So why not make shooting everything a less "reliable" solution to survive than in a basic shoot'em up? I was not fond of this Gears of War gimmick first but I really think that a RE game could benefit from it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
BrainZEROX said:
You are right but I really would appreciate that RE's core gameplay aims for survival instead of action/shooter. So why not make shooting everything a less "reliable" solution to survive than in a basic shoot'em up? I was not fond of this Gears of War gimmick first but I really think that a RE game could benefit from it.
Ok, given the sheer number of enemies we've seen, I doubt taking on everything is gonna be the best solution, especially on harder difficulties where ammo and health is more limited.

I'm struggling through pro mode on RE4 because I like to know everyone's dead before I take my time and explore an area/find all the treasures. It looks like I'll be lucky if such an approach is possible in RE5!

There are a couple of times where you can just choose to GTFO in RE4 (eg. 2nd El Gigante, Salazar's Right Hand), and it's not advisable to stick around when hordes of villagers/zealots/soldiers are swarming you anyway. So if RE5 is any kind of improvement, it will likely do the whole survival horror thing much better, while improving on the action side that made RE4 such a bold and successful leap for the series.

John_B

In RE4 for PS2 is it possible to choose a control configuration that has L1 for aiming and R1 for shooting? This is practically the shooter game standard, and it feels a bit ackward when you have to use R1 for aiming.

I think they need to implement a button to switch between sidearm and rifle, also a button for grenades.

I really like the pace of the combat in RE4, but when things get hectic, it kinda kills the immersion a bit when you have to open up the inventory screen to choose a grenade.

Kydd BlaZe

John_B said:
In RE4 for PS2 is it possible to choose a control configuration that has L1 for aiming and R1 for shooting? This is practically the shooter game standard, and it feels a bit ackward when you have to use R1 for aiming.

I think they need to implement a button to switch between sidearm and rifle, also a button for grenades.

I really like the pace of the combat in RE4, but when things get hectic, it kinda kills the immersion a bit when you have to open up the inventory screen to choose a grenade.

I agree. Currently, Capcom is working with the idea of real-time weapon switching, however it has yet to be a confirmed feature for the game. I hope it makes it into the final game, though.

Kittonwy

Banned
John_B said:

They could just use the fucking D-pad for weapon switch, I don't know what the problem is. They have so many extra buttons available that can make the controls so much more accessible and allows the them to close the gap between what they present during cutscenes and what the player is allowed to do in terms of the character's moveset.

Top Bottom