• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

Ithil

Still no Rebecca and Barry, sigh.

I get why the random partners for the games like Billy, Carlos, Sheva, etc, aren't going to be returning, but the two missing S.T.A.R.S members really bugs me. I mean, they put them in RE5's extra Mercenaries mode, so they know they're popular and fans want them back above all other missing characters (apart from maybe Sherry Birkin for some reason), so why not?

It's not like their story was finished or something, like Billy, they're going to be still going along alongside everyone else against Umbrella, Tricell, etc.

Neiteio

In fact, the black guy being the only one of his whole crew to live.
And he didn't breakdance or play basketball or eat KFC to the best of my knowledge. Though I think there was a watermelon in one of the market stands. Goddamn Capcom racists.

Teknoman

Still no Rebecca and Barry, sigh.

I get why the random partners for the games like Billy, Carlos, Sheva, etc, aren't going to be returning, but the two missing S.T.A.R.S members really bugs me. I mean, they put them in RE5's extra Mercenaries mode, so they know they're popular and fans want them back above all other missing characters (apart from maybe Sherry Birkin for some reason), so why not?

It's not like their story was finished or something, like Billy, they're going to be still going along alongside everyone else against Umbrella, Tricell, etc.

You never know, they could still show up. Of course we dont know what role they might play...

Squire

Banned
Whatever. I just posted how this thread ain't the place. If you feel so strongly, then feel free to make a thread where we can hash it out.

No thank you. You're perfectly within your rights to hold that silly opinion and the issue is years old anyway.

I'll take you up on the offer when RE6 is inevitably deemed racist in regards to the Chinese.

Teknoman

didn't the black guy set up the white people? i mean, that was implied, wasn't it?

Not that I know of. Unless something happened in Jill/Josh side mission, havent played that yet.

Wesker and Excella plus Irving were at the head of everything. Megaphone guy was just there.

No thank you. You're perfectly within your rights to hold that silly opinion and the issue is years old anyway.

I'll take you up on the offer when RE6 is inevitably deemed racist in regards to the Chinese.

Seriously doubt that'll happen, but even if it did, and it actually was, if you can't see RE5s issues then you wouldn't see it there either. I should also point out that you're well within your rights to poke fun at my "silly" opinion as well, but as you can see it's almost totally derailed the thread already. Good job.

Teknoman

Only if there are some zombies/BOWs that end up inexplicably using martial arts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seriously doubt that'll happen, but even if it did, and it actually was, if you can't see RE5s issues then you wouldn't see it there either. I should also point out that you're well within your rights to poke fun at my "silly" opinion as well, but as you can see it's almost totally derailed the thread already. Good job.

I look forward to watching you and another person play RE6 on youtube ;)

I personally find it more racist that RE5 was the first game in the series where you're not shooting a white guy in the head. Marvin, the one black person in all of Racoon city doesn't count.

Squire

Banned

I can assure my input wasn't needed for that. As evidenced by the comic genius on display in this thread.

*re6 features ganados but with a chinese name, is an ancient chinese village filled with kung-fu ganados who are also really good at math*

um guys there really are martial arts in china so you see it's actually not-

mrchristianq

Neo Member
I think it's funny people call Resident Evil 5 racist, but no one calls Resident Evil 4 racist where your basically in Spain killing nothing but Spanish people. How is that any different from 5?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's funny people call Resident Evil 5 racist, but no one calls Resident Evil 4 racist where your basically in Spain killing nothing but Spanish people. How is that any different from 5?

The Spanish people aren't dressed up like conquistadors in the later levels.

not to get into this argument but this betrays a severe ignorance of stereotypical and racially charged imagery (i.e., Spainiards have not been traditionally stereotyped for hundreds of years by western civilization as a whole as mindless savages and evil monks)

also just for reference i don't think re5 is "overtly" racist with any kind of deliberateness or malice but at the same time i feel like a lot of people misinterpret n'gai's original point (about the imagery in a certain RE5 trailer, not the concept of an african setting itself) and also ignore the part where tribesmen get infected with plagas and thus turn "feral" by putting on grass skirts and war paint and start throwing spears

Anyone else notice that Chris' arms got smaller?
Guess he laid off the roids. However, he is still massive compared to some of the enemies and that camera man he pushes out of the way.

Ah forgot about that in RE5. Still I wouldn't say the game designers were racist so much as plain ignorance on Capcom's part. Their western division/ focus groups/ test players should've pointed that out.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Who cares, you've been killing 'white' people for 16 years?

And white people are varied in ethnicity, so are black people.

It's not right to group people based on their skin color, that to me is racist.

Stop thinking that way and just shoot the goddamn zombie! Who cares what color it is, what it had for breakfast, it will eat your brains!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
HMMMmmmmm..

He's played the president a bunch of times. NOT a coincidence. Developers, especially Japanese ones, just love to copy-paste from movies. One part of this trailer is straight out of The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

not to get into this argument but this betrays a severe ignorance of stereotypical and racially charged imagery (i.e., Spainiards have not been traditionally stereotyped for hundreds of years by western civilization as a whole as mindless savages and evil monks)

also just for reference i don't think re5 is "overtly" racist with any kind of deliberateness or malice but at the same time i feel like a lot of people misinterpret n'gai's original point (about the imagery in a certain RE5 trailer, not the concept of an african setting itself) and also ignore the part where tribesmen get infected with plagas and thus turn "feral" by putting on grass skirts and war paint and start throwing spears

To be fair I defended RE5 as vigilantly as these folks until the game was released. That attitude pretty much evaporated when I was tasked with saving the poor white aryan lady from the evil black dudes set on defiling her.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Exactly. RE5 is racist as fuck. I can't hate it for that because it's grounded in ignorance, not malice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
To be fair I defended RE5 as vigilantly as these folks until the game was released. That attitude pretty much evaporated when I was tasked with saving the poor white aryan lady from the evil black dudes set on defiling her.

I thought they changed that scene so it was a white majini attacking her. I could be remembering wrong.

spittin' mad sense up in here.

Exactly. RE5 is racist as fuck. I can't hate it for that because it's grounded in ignorance, not malice.

Gotta agree. Capcom of Japan lives in a total monolithic uniculture with profound ignorance of western culture and traditions. I can hardly blame them, but it doesn't give them a free pass either. Considering the tensions between China and Japan, you can bet they'll be extra careful this time around.

Teknoman

Honestly I didnt find that racist either...and havent really run into anyone else thats had the same complaints about that section of the game with the infected tribal warriors. There was even a diary left behind by a kid taking notes in the village about how all the women died, and the men were acting strange, dressing up in ceremonial garb when it wasnt even a time for celebration.

And lets not forget this guy:

Resident-Evil-4-Walkthrough-Part-40---Salazar-Statue.jpg

Either way, the word to classify it might be stereotyping, but certainly not racist or racism.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gotta agree. Capcom of Japan lives in a total monolithic uniculture with profound ignorance of western culture and traditions. I can hardly blame them, but it doesn't give them a free pass either. Considering the tensions between China and Japan, you can bet they'll be extra careful this time around.

They could learn from Nagoshi. Most of the Korean/Chinese characters in Yakuza are well done. Of course, comparing Yakuza's characters to RE's just isn't fair.

PKrockin

I don't remember that... what part of the game was this?

Top Bottom