• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Just noticed the frozen J'avo can be used as cover. Pretty awesome. Enemy design is amazing, even by RE's high standards.

There are few things more satisfying than running up to an enemy, sliding onto your back and delivering a shotgun body blow at point-blank range sending them flying back 10 feet.

Next to Vanquish, this game probably has the best TPS mechanics around. I'm serious. Cannot wait till next week.

Hopefully the OT has some "RE6 101" tips to help people understand the mechanics.

Riposte

Yuck, they are adding leveling to Mercenaries. Should have seen it coming.

EDIT: Seems like they have you pick up skill points as well like the campaign. That seems annoying.

Nemesis_

RANDOM THOUGHTS

LEON

+ I feel like the camera has improved a bit?
+ Movement feels less "loose"
+ Zombies feel right - they aren't slow/boring but also aren't too fast / unbelievable
+ Love the contextual melee attacks when a Zombie is carrying an item or has something lodged in them
+ Music felt VERY classic RE

? Yes, RE5 does look better at parts but RE6 has much better done environments in terms of atmosphere, I feel.
? The tripping thing is a confusing point for me. I appreciate the realism but recognise it could get annoying in gameplay.

- Why does Leon open doors SO SLOWLY
- I found it really weird that both Leon and Helena said NOTHING when the alarm went off at that door
- Seemed to be really dark when you went out into the courtyard area
- The inventory system is still so weird and confusing, but with time could be alright
- I find it weird how I can climb under and over so much in the courtyard but then that METAL DETECTOR INCIDENT makes no sense following
- That driving QTE - WTF

CHRIS

+ El Gigante throwback from RE4
+ Chris' unique QTEs are so GUD

- TERRIBLE OPENING
- This really doesn't feel like Resident Evil

Nothing more to say here, though Chris' campaign is still my least anticipated

Yuck, they are adding leveling to Mercenaries. Should have seen it coming.

EDIT: Seems like they have you pick up skill points as well like the campaign. That seems annoying.

That's probably annoying at the beginning, but you wont care later on when your character is developed. Gotta admit that it seems interesting that you can choose your strong points. Example, maybe you're a quickshot and do decent combos, but you also get damaged more than others. Choosing the appropiate skill points to make your weak points better, or to enhance your strong points is something very tied to the experimentation of playstyles we do on mercenaries every round we play.

tl;dr: it can be a very good thing if done correctly.

Sojgat

Just noticed the frozen J'avo can be used as cover. Pretty awesome. Enemy design is amazing, even by RE's high standards.

There are few things more satisfying than running up to an enemy, sliding onto your back and delivering a shotgun body blow at point-blank range sending them flying back 10 feet.

Next to Vanquish, this game probably has the best TPS mechanics around. I'm serious. Cannot wait till next week.

The funny thing is, I agree with you. The problem is the environment design, camera and UI all get in the way. There are some other bizarre design choices like the tripping over corpses, not being able to shoot the damn things when they're obviously just going to stand up and come after you, the randomness of usable cover, and the constant prompts and QTEs for everything. If you disregard the RE title and look at it simply as an action game, there are actually some really cool ideas on display, however there are just as many bad ones. If the final game is as improved from the public demo, as the public demo was from the DD demo, then it might actually be pretty good, but I doubt it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Double tab the button to make him kick in the door. But yeah, no idea why they make it that slow for normal action. Trying to make it feel scary (surely failed)?

I tried that a bunch of times, works for Jake but I don't think Leon can kick it .. (or maybe there's something wrong with me).

Riposte

That's probably annoying at the beginning, but you wont care later on when your character is developed. Gotta admit that it seems interesting that you can choose your strong points. Example, maybe you're a quickshot and do decent combos, but you also get damaged more than others. Choosing the appropiate skill points to make your weak points better, or to enhance your strong points is something very tied to the experimentation of playstyles we do on mercenaries every round we play.

tl;dr: it can be a very good thing if done correctly.

The fact there seems to be 8 skill slots makes me doubtful.

It is hard to say what the overall cost will be to unlock all of them, but god help us if they do it by character.

Isn't there a system like this in the 3DS Mercenaries game? How grindy was that?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I imagine it might be drop-in/drop-out co-op in that case. I don't see how else you would do it.

Out of curiosity, are most people here going to play the game co-op or solo on their first time? I'm going with a solo run because I know I'm going to want to take my time and drink in the atmosphere, so I'd probably piss off anyone I'm playing with.

Also I wonder what is the best order to play the campaigns in. I'm thinking Chris -> Leon -> Jake -> Ada so that I split up the action campaigns (Chris and Jake) and slower, more atmospheric campaigns (Leon and Ada).

I've decided to solo... the AI partner is so much better than in RE5, it doesn't annoy me at all. So this way I can be as slow as I want and read everything without slowing someone else down.

As for the order, I think I'll play in the sequence the devs present. Leon> Chris> Jake

I like the idea of starting with zombies too.

Esura

Banned
Go into your settings and change RGB to limited.

Edit: That Mercenaries game play has got me pumped up anew for this game. That is some awesome Resident Evil does Vanquish action right there.

That actually worked.

Still a little dark but not nearly as dark as it was before. At least I can see some of the sneaky zombies now.

Evolved1

So they look exactly the same? Got it.

Before I respond to this I should state two things: 1) I don't really care about small graphical differences 2) PS3 is currently my only console (I've had a few 360's but none survived).

So with that out of the way... damn, textures on the 360 are clearly better. It's not a huge difference, but based on this comparison PS3 textures look pretty blurry. Really see it on Helena's shoulder, and on everything else. lol.

However, I actually prefer how dark the PS3 version is.

omonimo

Banned

Jesus Christ some opinion here sounds completely foolish to me. What the hell of version has played someone I'm asking, the TPS mechanics are completely broken & compared it to Vanquish, damn I'm done. :/ I can respect that someone can appreciate the demo (well, it's very tough fromy brain, I admit it) but I don't have memory of a so terrible disaster in the controls scheme/setting/calibration from a whole generation. I'm asking how even a single person can't feels it, seems pacific to me.

Riposte

Jesus Christ some opinion here sounds completely foolish to me. What the hell of version has played someone I'm asking, the TPS mechanics are completely broken & compared it to Vanquish, damn I'm done. :/ I can respect that someone can appreciate the demo (well, it's very tough fromy brain, I admit it) but I don't have memory of a so terrible disaster in the controls scheme/setting/calibration from a whole generation. I'm asking how even a single person can't feels it, seems pacific to me.

Maybe they are on the east coast.

Haliela

The mechanics actually contain a lot of depth. Someone else in the thread compared it to fighting games, and that's pretty accurate. It seems shallow and unwieldy at first, but the controls have a lot more to them than first meets the eye. I actually didn't have any problem with the controls my first playthrough. They're pretty damn easy to figure out. The only thing I didn't try were the quickshots.

Watch that Leon mercenary mode video. THAT'S RE6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LU0D_egfQ

omonimo

Banned
Before I respond to this I should state two things: 1) I don't really care about small graphical differences 2) PS3 is currently my only console (I've had a few 360's but none survived).

So with that out of the way... damn, textures on the 360 are clearly better. It's not a huge difference, but based on this comparison PS3 textures look pretty blurry. Really see it on Helena's shoulder, and on everything else. lol.

However, I actually prefer how dark the PS3 version is.

texture are the same, probably change the PPAA effects on ps3. Anyway I haven't a memory of good texture in the MT framework, this engine is a completely disaster from this point of view. To be honest, I can't understood how someone could say RE5 has better texture, people needs to replay it, it disgusting as the same level of every capcom game. Indeed I found RE6 better of RE5, tech wise. The deferred light system is very good, animation are better too. The problem are only in the gameplay.

omonimo

Banned
The mechanics actually contain a lot of depth. Someone else in the thread compared it to fighting games, and that's pretty accurate. It seems shallow and unwieldy at first, but the controls have a lot more to them than first meets the eye. I actually didn't have any problem with the controls my first playthrough. They're pretty damn easy to figure out. The only thing I didn't try were the quickshots.

Watch that Leon mercenary mode video. THAT'S RE6.

Forgive me but could be it works in the mercenaries mode, but not change the thing. Leon & Jake campaign are done to be played like a Gears of war & it's here we can perceive how terrible are the controls setting, design & enemies A.I. If the only way to appreciate the controls it's played like the mercenaries mode why Capcom has tried to emulate the normal TPS in the story mode indeed a classic RE scheme? They are completely incompetent it's my answer, they are tried to do something who are unable to do.

ErikB

Banned
Forgive me but could be it works in the mercenaries mode, but not change the thing. Leon & Jake campaign are done to be played like a Gears of war & it's here we can perceive how terrible are the controls setting, design & enemies A.I. If the only way to appreciate the controls it's played like the mercenaries mode why Capcom has tried to emulate the normal TPS in the story mode indeed a classic RE scheme? They are completely incompetent it's my answer, they are tried to do something who are unable to do.

Have you considered that maybe you are just not very good at it yet?

gconsole

I enjoy it more than Vanquish. Am i incompetent guy?

Evolved1

Forgive me but could be it worked in the mercenaries mode, but not change the thing. Leon & Jake campaign are done to be played like a Gears of war & it's here we can perceive how terrible are the controls setting, design & enemies A.I. If the only way to appreciate the controls it's played like the mercenaries mode why Capcom has tried to emulate the normal TPS in the story mode? They are completely incompetent it's my answer.

If you think the game plays like gears of war... no, it's nothing like gears of war. Unless just the presence of a cover mechanic automatically makes a game like gears or war, irrespective of how it's implemented -- whether supplementary or the core mechanic around which a game is designed.

Gears of war is designed around the cover system. RE6 isn't. It's barely used. I can read criticism (yeah I love the demo and other people don't) but this isn't even a remotely accurate criticism. It's way off. Objectively speaking, it's off. If your margin of error is that wide... when that's your opener it's hard to take any of your other complaints seriously.

gconsole

If you think the game plays like gears of war... no, it's nothing like gears of war. Unless just the presence of a cover mechanic automatically makes a game like gears or war, irrespective of how it's implemented -- whether supplementary or the core mechanic around which a game is designed.

Gears of war is designed around the cover system. RE6 isn't. It's barely used. I can read criticism (yeah I love the demo and other people don't) but this isn't even a remotely accurate criticism. It's way off. Objectively speaking, it's off. If your margin of error is that wide... when that's your opener it's hard to take any of your other complaints seriously.

Agree. I play GOW my ass off everynight with friend. Some mechanic might be similar but the game dynamic is totally different. At least GOW doesnt encourage you to do close encouter as much as this game. And most of the time i do in GOW is switch the cover because the bullet in that game is crazy and you would die very easy running toward the enemy, which is totally different from RE6.

Evolved1

I use it all the time...

You want to.

My point is that you don't need to. And the game isn't designed around hiding behind cover --the developers actually discourage GoW style play with obscuringly blurred vision when behind cover. If the core game of GoW is from-cover combat, I assert that the core game of RE6 is mobility and CQB-melee.

It's not Killswitch, or GoW or any other cover based shooter. You can use cover, but even Chris' demo when they seem to be presenting you with a run of the mill cover-shooter scenario, it's just as effective (I'd argue more effective) to eschew cover altogether in favor of mercs-style in your face ass-kicking. And imo this is where RE6 shines, and gets some distance between itself and the GoW and CoD comparisons.

ErikB

Banned
You want to.

My point is that you don't need to.

Yep, my point is you can if you want to. Works very well as a cover shooter. The slide to cover is great! (And they have a habit of chucking grenades at you if you stay in one place to long, which is also kind of fun, as even there it is best to stay mobile (and with no grenade indicator either! how is that for not babying you!))

gconsole

Yep, my point is you can if you want to. Works very well as a cover shooter. The slide to cover is great! (And they have a habit of chucking grenades at you if you stay in one place to long, which is also kind of fun)

Hmm i dont really think cover in this game work well. Its like temporary solution for not getting the bullet rather than being used frequently so to make it fun. Too difficult to pull it of. And i play demo for like 10 times already.

Evolved1

Hmm i dont really think cover in this game work well. Its like temporary solution for not getting the bullet rather than being used frequently so to make it fun. Too difficult to pull it of. And i play demo for like 10 times already.

Cover has a few benefits beyond direct combat... for instance, you can look ahead and survey the enemy layout usually without alerting them.

And you regain stamina much faster when in cover. At least in the demos. This also works when you're on the ground too.

Replicant

Cover in this game is pretty useless. It's blurry when you're hiding, to shoot you have to do finger gymnastic so you don't slip off cover, and if you pop out from wrong angle you often can't shoot at all. #absolutemess

ErikB

Banned
Cover in this game is pretty useless. It's blurry when you're hiding, to shoot you have to do finger gymnastic so you don't slip off cover, and if you pop out from wrong angle you often can't shoot at all. #absolutemess

What is wrong with doing finger gymnastics? Fighting game remember. Half circle towards, X+Y and all that. And the blurring is pretty clever, in that you often have to pop out to acquire targets. Does make for a different dynamic to other cover shooters, but why is that bad?

ErikB

Banned
The game is trying to do too much with none of the methods being finely tuned, that's a big problem imo.

Have you considered that maybe you are just not very good at it yet?

Maybe this is what I like about it. It is a game that lets you do things wrong. But you can also do them right, with a bit of practice.

Replicant

What is wrong with doing finger gymnastics? Fighting game remember. Half circle towards, X+Y and all that. And the blurring is pretty clever, in that you often have to pop out to acquire targets. Does make for a different dynamic to other cover shooters, but why is that bad?

Because when you're trying to aim, you want to concentrate on the target ahead of you. You don't want to be looking if you're still in cover or not or if your angle allows you to shoot or not. This is not a game where the enemies wait around for you to shoot. Every second counts. A broken cover system may as well not be there because you'll spend so much grappling with the control, you can't concentrate on just shooting the enemy in front of you.

It's also stupid because let me ask you this: do you stand around like a deer caught in a headlight after taking a snipe or two at your enemies while they continue pumping the AK-47? Hell NO! But the game does just that, which is fucking ridiculous. If I'm in the cover, I should remain behind the cover until I disengage from cover not suddenly stand around post one or two shots unless I choose to hide again, doing the whole "let's get closer to the wall first then duck" instead of doing it immediately.

Mr_Zombie

Wow... That was a whole lot more naked ladies than I was anticipating. Guess I understand the nudity rating on the ERSB even better now though. Wonder if
Jake
will be in a similar position?

Wait, what? You mean normal naked ladies and not humanoid monsters? o_O
I want to see it, but yet I want to avoid spoilers. Urgh...

Gbraga

I loved the demo! The gameplay was really really good, I love the depth it has on mechanics, like cancelling Jake's Jaguar Dash/Cobra Strike with a side roll/backflip on hit to automatically do another one, or the quick shot combos with Helena's Hydra, the tech roll when you hit the floor, laay on the ground to recover stamina quickly, buffer "The Freshmaker" by pressing the button the amount of herbs you want used and use it all at once, the quick turn during slide to kill shielded enemies, I just loved it.

Honestly, if it doesn't get incredibly bad in the full game, it will be on my top TPS list.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Totally disagree about cover. I think that the demo isn't giving an accurate assessment of how necessary it is going to be used in the main game(course I could be wrong and it could be useless). I think part of that has to do with how much we've already played these three levels already. Hell, I'm at the point now where the only thing left for me to do is try and break it, and speedrun my way through it: which is difficult as all hell thanks to the camera...

Using that mercs video as an example isn't a good idea (imo), because while you can use certain strats from campaign in it, things like enemy placement in a set piece fly right out of the window. Unless everyone just turns out to be a beast in this game, I think a good amount of people aren't going to play it like it's God Hand, and are going to be forced to use cover. Most of that is going to be thanks to how easy it is for you to get stunned and fall flat on your ass.

ErikB

Banned
Because when you're trying to aim, you want to concentrate on the target ahead of you. You don't want to be looking if you're still in cover or not or if your angle allows you to shoot or not. This is not a game where the enemies wait around for you to shoot. Every second counts. A broken cover system may as well not be there because you'll spend so much grappling with the control, you can't concentrate on just shooting the enemy in front of you.

Perhaps you should try an easier game that automates this stuff for you.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait, what? You mean normal naked ladies and not humanoid monsters? o_O
I want to see it, but yet I want to avoid spoilers. Urgh...

Well I'll say this without spoilers as much as I can. One character is fully nude just covered with shadows in a cinematic, and one segment of the game you play as one of the female characters in a very shoddy patient costume so her body is almost on full display and since you can do flips and such in RE6... >_>

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So they look exactly the same? Got it.
They both LOOK fine, but they also both run like shit. The PS3 seems to have a slightly lower average framerate BUT looks smoother in areas where the framerate isn't dipping. On 360, even when it is "smooth" there is always a slight jitter present which makes it feel uneven. As a result, both versions feel choppy, but the 360 version feels even worse.

Neither demos are acceptable.

Evolved1

You are going to get banned... that's not backseat modding but a friendly *elbow* in the side.

Totally disagree about cover. I think that the demo isn't giving an accurate assessment of how necessary it is going to be used in the main game(course I could be wrong and it could be useless). I think part of that has to do with how much we've already played these three levels already. Hell, I'm at the point now where the only thing left for me to do is try and break it, and speedrun my way through it: which is difficult as all hell thanks to the camera...

Using that mercs video as an example isn't a good idea (imo), because while you can use certain strats from campaign in it, things like enemy placement in a set piece fly right out of the window. Unless everyone just turns out to be a beast in this game, I think a good amount of people aren't going to play it like it's God Hand, and are going to be forced to use cover. Most of that is going to be thanks to how easy it is for you to get stunned and fall flat on your ass.

You raise good points. Especially that we do not know what the rest of the game will present as far as scenarios... they might try and compel the player into cover. I'm not expecting that, but it might happen. I don't personally find the camera prohibitive at all anymore... but maybe the reason I'm going mercs in the demo is because I know the layout. That certainly helps. Again, though, I feel like this game is designed to allow that type of play for those who are looking for it, even if you haven't already encountered a particular set-piece. But won't know if that sort of design will carry through until you play it I guess.

Mr_Zombie

Well I'll say this without spoilers as much as I can. One character is fully nude just covered with shadows in a cinematic, and one segment of the game you play as one of the female characters in a very shoddy patient costume so her body is almost on full display and since you can do flips and such in RE6... >_>

Let me guess,
...... Ada or Ada's clone.....
?
Sweet.

I just wish you didn't have to hold L1 to stay in cover. I hate any title that does that (Rainbow Six Vegas, SC: Conviction) as it brings about fatigue ...guess I got girly hands or somethin'
Loved that Deus Ex: HR made it a toggle option

Replicant

Oh really tough guy? Let's hear what TPS have you platinum'd recently? Uncharted 3? Dead Space 2? Gear of Wars 3? Deus Ex? And I want receipts as in links to your achievements.

There's challenging and there's stupid non-functional cover mechanic. RE6 has the later. Why do you think so many complained about it?

gconsole

Erik B. This game is not fighting game. And it has long playing time (compare to short session in fighting game). You cannot do finger gymnastics all the way through 4-5 hours. This is not the emphasis of action adventure game.

Regarding to cover. I think people just has different expectation of the mechanism. It work for different thing in other game. But it seems doesn't work the same in this game. Until it click, nobody won't appreciate it. Because nobody would know what the hell is it for. I for one, like the demo but hate the cover system in this game. It's just too difficult to use, which kill all the point of having cover to do the quick hide and sneak. If you notice , the director put million of movement in to RE6 but make it hell difficult to use. And if their main goal is to reach general audience (way point, shooting, QTE, etc). This is not one of the thing.

Good game will have 2-3 main functions and make it deep. Rather than 10 functions and make it so so. This really remind me of DMC2 when Dante has wall running but complete useless in the game because the stage design doesn't emphasis on that.

Top Bottom