• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Capcom needs to play more Dead Space 2 and make the camera behave exactly like it does in that game. The moments when the game takes away some control to zoom the camera in or force my character to walk slowly just feel awkward.

Also Leon is way too startled by lightning. I like the idea of what they are trying to do but they need to be more subtle about it.

LOL, yeah. His animations for getting spooked by lightning just seems ridiculous.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Leon in general is just...what. The entire scenario really, the guy is acting fucking weird and they don't question it at all. The girl looked all fucked up and they don't question what happened to the corpses beside her.

Pooya

Leon in general is just...what. The entire scenario really, the guy is acting fucking weird and they don't question it at all. The girl looked all fucked up and they don't question what happened to the corpses beside her.

lol yeah. when lights went out in the elevator, I was like "SHOCKING NEWS, no one saw that coming"

Capcom needs to play more Dead Space 2 and make the camera behave exactly like it does in that game. The moments when the game takes away some control to zoom the camera in or force my character to walk slowly just feel awkward.

Also Leon is way too startled by lightning. I like the idea of what they are trying to do but they need to be more subtle about it.
What are they trying to do?

What are they trying to do?
Humanize Leon a bit, Nathan Drake style. In old RE games if lightning crashed or there was a loud noise or something you might jump, but your character would just stand there like a robot.

I like the idea of Leon getting startled, but he screams like he got shot and jerks around. He should just flinch and maybe make a little grunt.

((GAF PLEASE HELP ME!))

I’ve downloaded 'Horizon' and I’ve downloaded the four parts of the demo from here:

I'm in EU, worked fine for me. I used this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?zawxgcclrhcuw

I’m now kinda stuck. I have to unzip something? Errrrr....WAT?! I’ve tried reading other comments on how to do it but I’m hopeless at this stuff.

I literally have no clue what I’m doing. Is someone please able to tell me step by step in a little bit more detail? I’d prefer burning it onto a disc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Currently shifting through a bunch of stuff about the AI, still have so much to go but a few more things I noticed.

First of all, though we saw this briefly in the E3 trailer there was a section I passed about swimming, forgot that was in RE6.

Passed through a lot of commands for context-sensitive melee attacks, another vehicle's data popped up (and this was also in the trailer so it makes sense) but there are four vehicles right now as there was also data for a Bike. Other random things like somewhere in the game you can take Ice damage, and somewhere Piers fires a canon. Random stuff like that.

However, the most interesting stuff are not 100% certain as how weirdly everything is organized and such. I'll mark it with spoilers when they apply.

First, there was data for the Join Game menu when you try to join someone's game. If I read into the data correctly (which I think I did), the join game menu shows you what stage they're playing, and according to the game, there are a total of
stages.Not sure how long a stage is though. I do know, for example, none of what we played today was an actual stage, but a 'scene'. The game apparently splits things up 'Stage - Chapter - Scene'. I don't know the difference between stage and chapter (maybe like how in RE4 and RE5 there's a 3-1, 3-2, etc, so one is a stage and one is chapters?), but there are
stages.

This part I REALLY hope I'm misunderstanding. This could possibly be a major spoiler, just warning you.
There was something about a choice labelled under 'last' where you choose to shoot either Sherry or Jake. I don't know what the context is, but it was there randomly and this only exists for Sherry and Jake. It has 'last' in the title, and might hint that towards the very end of the game you'll need to make a choice to either shoot Jake or Sherry as someone. That actually saddens me a little if it's actually some big story point, I like both of them. It could mean something else though, like maybe a different scene depending if Jake or Sherry get the last shot on something?

Finally for now, I think I found some more enemy data. Some of these are definitely enemies, but the enemy data was mixed with other data so I'm not 100% sure which of these are enemies and which of these are terms for other things, but these are the ones that looked like enemies (at the start of the file name, usually had attacks and AI stuff under them, etc).

-RedDead
-Face Hugger
-Screamer
-Rasklapanje
-Slider
-Trooper
-Decoy
-Kong
-Shell
-Crow (again)
-Fly
-Needler

I don't know what any of those mean but those sound like enemies. Not official names, but 'code names' used for the programming to help describe them in data.

I'll bring more as I find it.

((GAF PLEASE HELP ME!))

I’ve downloaded 'Horizon' and I’ve downloaded the four parts of the demo from here:

I’m now kinda stuck. I have to unzip something? Errrrr....WAT?! I’ve tried reading other comments on how to do it but I’m hopeless at this stuff.

I literally have no clue what I’m doing. Is someone please able to tell me step by step in a little bit more detail? I’d prefer burning it onto a disc.

Plug your USB stick into your 360. Format it for use on 360. Click on one of your RARs. Extract the "Content" folder to desktop. Plug in your USB stick to your computer. Open Horizon. Around the top right part of the Horizon window, click inject file. Choose the Content folder on your desktop and keep clicking through its contained folders until you come across an unknown file type. Select it. Wait until it's written to your USB drive and you're ready to go. The RE6 demo should be displayed under "Demos" in Horizon's USB drive window if you want to double check. Once you know it works, you can copy the demo from USB to the 360 HDD if you want. The demo will be displayed under "My Games" on 360.

Kard8p3

First, there was data for the Join Game menu when you try to join someone's game. If I read into the data correctly (which I think I did), the join game menu shows you what stage they're playing, and according to the game, there are a total of
stages.Not sure how long a stage is though. I do know, for example, none of what we played today was an actual stage, but a 'scene'. The game apparently splits things up 'Stage - Chapter - Scene'. I don't know the difference between stage and chapter (maybe like how in RE4 and RE5 there's a 3-1, 3-2, etc, so one is a stage and one is chapters?), but there are
stages.

Hmm, my thoughts on this, probably wrong, but oh well..spoilers just in case

There are 3 character sections, correct? Leon, Chris Jake. My take on the 28 stages is maybe there 7 per character, but that would only equal out to 27. So, maybe once you beat the game with all the characters or meet some other requirement, you get one last final stage? A true ending, perhaps?

Choc

Banned
i really like the demo. It's fairly chunky and i doubt a free* demo would have had that much

*this isnt free as it requires another investment in DD.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Can you get banned for using Horizon?

It depends on what you inject, if what you inject is "legal" i.e Its something allowed on XBL you will not get banned, your Xbox simply assumes you transferred the stuff from another Xbox.
I use usbXtaf all the time when i want an exclusive demo[sometimes press demos], games that arent available anymore and or im just feeling too lazy to turn my console on.

Getting the demo 2 months early is a good deal

Is this game still officially part of the survival horror genre? Wondering since it looks like a dark tps.

Dark Third Person Shooter....Hahaha im gonna start using that from now on.

Carbonox

Is this game still officially part of the survival horror genre? Wondering since it looks like a dark tps.

I think the series is probably better described as Survival Action now. Sure there are horror elements but in my mind, Survival Horror is more Amnesia, Fatal Frame, etc. This is a Michael Bay meets zombies kinda deal. Survival elements are still prevalent and I think 'Survival Action' (think it was mentioned on the back of the RE4 case) is the most suitable description. Dark TPS probably works too. :lol

News Bot

Banned
The options were really easy to understand, some of this other stuff is a lot more difficult. I think I finally cracked what the Born Counter is for though. This is enemy data for some stage in the game, no idea what stage but we have three enemies listed here for the stage; Zombies, Crows, and Sanagi. Earlier I didn't know what the heck a Sanagi was, but due to digging into terms with the similar word Sanagi I found
they were triggered by values that makes Zombie die, and then rise again, ala Crimson Heads. They aren't called Crimson Heads though, apparently their name is Sanagi. I just went further into the Born Counters, and found they're related to the Sanagi which means they aren't for the cocoons like I first believed but are the counter for the zombies to fall and then be reborn as Sanagi. While they aren't literally Crimson Heads, they seem to be born in the same way at least. Kill a zombie, a counter sets titled the 'BornCounter', and then they are 'born as Sanagi.

Sanagi literally means "chrysalis", or "pupa". It's Japanese.

I think the series is probably better described as Survival Action now. Sure there are horror elements but in my mind, Survival Horror is more Amnesia, Fatal Frame, etc. This is a Michael Bay meets zombies kinda deal. Survival elements are still prevalent and I think 'Survival Action' (think it was mentioned on the back of the RE4 case) is the most suitable description. Dark TPS probably works too. :lol

I only play games under the subgenre "panic horror".

Dusk Golem

Sanagi literally means "chrysalis", or "pupa". It's Japanese.

That's interesting and does explain why these are linked to the 'Born' event about the enemies. There's the Born event, and the SanagiBorn event. Thanks for telling me that, that makes a lot of sense and explains why they have a counter and a 'BornLife' event and such. It sounds like somewhere in gameplay those cocoon things will come alive.

Anyways, currently going through a very long section involving a lot of random events. I think this loads 'scenes' since it includes commands to load a lot of assets and various prepared scripts and actions. A lot of it is also carried over to each section, like success, die, etc. A few of them have been catching my eye while skiming through it though, but not sure how important any of this is. Spoilers just in case.

There's been various mentions of 'events' and objects that are important to objectives. Involve everything from basic windows and sculptures, to apparently a very eventful 'Zombie Door', an Antiaircraft Gun, a valve door, and more. There also are various things that look like objects or objectives that have something to do with the scenes, but I'm not sure what. Just will copy and paste a few more of the interesting ones so far:
DownWithCrane
Jumpe EnableBridge (also stuff about controlling bridge speed?)
BreakObstacle (also seems like various things to do this)
CarMove
CheckBSAA (this is an estimate, but there so far have been a couple of instances of this, and they usually involve NPC mentions as well, so maybe you'll at at least a couple of points stop at a local BSAA stop or branch?)
ShotBSAA (This only appears once though)
Helicopter
StartRevolver (I think this means a Revolver Door, not the gun. Mentions rotating stuff.)
CoverTable (this is linked to the next one, seems like some puzzle involving turning tables or something? Maybe turning something on the table?)
TurnTable

Still reading through all of these, it's long. Also one of these acts obviously seems to feature a Jeep, and includes events about Taxis, Helicopters, Trucks, and something titled Trex's.

Not very important, but all of this has been lasting for a long time through the files and folders and readings.

EDIT:
Now some events about the train. Yeah, this whole section seems to be about loadable scenes in the game

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, I recognize this one! This is definitely for scenes. This isn't a spoiler since this is shown in a public gameplay video, but there's talk about Leon and Sherry working together to get an Engine working, and I recognize that as the scene that happens in the crossover boss battle when Leon and Sherry get seperated together from Helena and Jake and have to get some Bus working. Definitely so since they have added scripts for the strange co-op perimeters for 4-player from the rest of the game.

Jawmuncher

Considering a majority of the complaints seem to be tied to a lack of polish, I wonder how much they'll achieve in fixing them. Especially after they moved the release date up rather than back.

The game does have a lot of people working on it so there's the possibility it might all get ironed out. Did anyone play RE6 at E3, can you compare that version to the demo?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Jeeeeeez @ the camera when aiming. Why'd they have to mess with it? Even free camera position is lower than RE4/RE5. Chris's section looks very weird. It's like some strange offset + centered combination that just restricts how much you can see.

The running animation looks bad as well. It looks like they are gliding along a perfectly flat surface, there isn't the right weight to it. It's like Mass Effect 3's only worse.

Thanks a lot The Xtortionist for explaining how do get the demo– I did it!

As for the demo, I’m still shocked at how bad this is. It just has so many big problems...

The game feels very low-budget. The fact that this passes for a main RE blows my mind.

The more I play the more I like it, my only concern after adjusting to the controls is the camera, in Chris stage I get a little dizzy, it's way to close.

I found 3 blue emblems so far, I guess that's all.

News Bot

Banned
Considering a majority of the complaints seem to be tied to a lack of polish, I wonder how much they'll achieve in fixing them. Especially after they moved the release date up rather than back.

The game does have a lot of people working on it so there's the possibility it might all get ironed out. Did anyone play RE6 at E3, can you compare that version to the demo?

The demo is the E3 version.

Dusk Golem

And just some random notes I'm making as I continue skimming the long list of seemingly scene-based objectives, events, and objects... Warning, this is going to be a long paragraph just full of random notes as I skim through all of this.

Found the one where it seems Chris runs through the crowd in China. Seems to be titled Jostles. Apparently someone goes through a scenario where they go through a falling Scaffold (temporary construction site). Seems like there's some event around airships and amusing a pilot who tries to help you crashes and dies (the RE pilot legacy lives on). Something about a suspension bridge. Fun sounding scene involving escaping a room with a bomb in it. Another word I don't recognize, Raskla. Found the snow mobile scene. AND the Harrier scene. Seems you can do something with flares and do a barrel roll. Something about a Montage and a Mini Game... Seems the minigame is linked to some lock? Something about a Light Zombie, whatever that is. Maybe Lightning? Since the next thing is about a Lightning Rod. Oh boy! The Lightning rod and mini-game scene must be inside a base of some kind, as I just found the scene that involves a bunch of lasers. Wherever these last few are taking place in, it sounds interesting. Something about an Investigation, a 'Jump Area', and find a 'Key Item'. They just label it key item. Weird... Actually, is this with Ada? Now it's talking about a hook shot, which as we all know Ada uses. Must be Ada since now it's talking about a Hiding Box and something about a hole. GunEmpRide? Oh cool! It sounds like someone goes to an Aquarium and can break the glass. Maybe that might just be a glass aquarium, but they make a big deal about breaking glass so... We're in some other place and it's talking about a Gas Explosion. Would that be the event we saw at Microsoft's E3 conference? And a Fat Zombie Hole? WTF? A fast rope event... Is there more than one Snow Mobile event? Another Snow Mobile scene just popped up. Earlier there was another Jeep event too (like way earlier) but I thought it was the same. So you might drive the Snow Mobile and Jeep twice through the game. Some elevator event. Something about a duct cover.... And another scene in the ducts. Oh that could be fun. Alright, another long break of loadable objects. Something about a crowd. Something about a crowbar. Okay? Everyone's favorite RE item is back, Cranks! And now something about wall paintings and the position of paintings. Sounds like a puzzle, and with cranks... Are we in a Resident Evil-esque mansion in this scene? Oh, I think we're done with all of this scene stuff for now. Now it's getting into other more basc stuff like enemies and objects like co-op doors.

And would you think I'm not even half-way done with going through all of this so far?

The more I play the more I like it, my only concern after adjusting to the controls is the camera, in Chris stage I get a little dizzy, it's way to close.

I've never gotten sick from a game ever before, but the Chris section with the zoomed in camera, overly fast camera movement, screen-tearing and the fact that I could barely see anything every 20 seconds made me dizzy. Just awful!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So what I'm getting from this thread... Chris's stage is better than Leon's?

Leon's stage is basically a non-stage. You walk around for ten minutes, shoot a handful of zombies and then the game ends. I suppose its meant to be the "creepy" section, but its so tonally dead that it's just boring.

Leon's stage is basically a non-stage. You walk around for ten minutes, shoot a handful of zombies and then the game ends. I suppose its meant to be the "creepy" section, but its so tonally dead that it's just boring.

Is it similar to that 20 minute demo on YouTube from a week back?

did it involve a coughing man and his daughter? if so, yes.

Oh, cool, thanks.

As for the rest of this thread, I understand why you guys might not like this when comparing it to the old RE games, but looking at the games alone, they're definitely awesome. RE5 was so fucking awesome to play with a friend, and I call bull on anyone who didn't get scared a couple times.

I think you guys maybe looking in too deeply. It's only a demo, after all.

cvxfreak

Did cvxfreak post his impressions yet?

I'm still trying to come to grips with the game. It's a huge change from RE5 and Revelations in so many ways.

For me, the key to enjoying an RE game is coming to grips with the gameplay it offers and what you can do with the characters. That's why none of the supposed flaws about RE5 (no moving while shooting, tank controls, etc.) bothered me because the core game was solid, well-refined and came together perfectly.

RE6 on the other hand is confusing. The inventory is difficult to manage and the camera is disorienting at times. And the controls... I actually can't comprehend everything displayed on the loading menu before the action begins. It's just not coming together well the way RE4 and RE5 did with their demos. RE6 seems to have been made by a team that took RE5's criticism a little too close to heart.

My favorite demo was definitely Leon's. It's a little slow-paced, but very easy to handle and a little reminiscent of older RE games. Chris' scenario was basically the early part of RE5 all over again, so I actually got through it using the same tactics I would use when playing that game (but not really utilizing much of the new actions available to RE6 -- I suspect this flawed approach will lead me to dying a lot in the final game). Hated Jake's scenario because his seems to require an adequate understanding of RE6's gameplay system (and how it differs from RE5) in order to beat it.

So, my initial impressions are quite negative. But that said, I'll be giving this more time over the coming days and I'm sure I'll come to grips with it sooner or later. Dare I say it, even Operation Raccoon City had 2 or 3 scenarios that were quite enjoyable once you figured out how to play the game effectively. I'm sure I'll find something to like about RE6, but probably not in this demo.

omonimo

Banned
Weird, so the framerate doesn't get any higher than 30.5, so why don't they v-sync it? Hopefully they will for the final version.

I suggest to dont' expect so much from this point of views: the game hardly keep a steady 30 fps & triple buffer it's more expensive to the ps3 hardware for 360 ( I don't know the exact reason but seem so reading here & there in the tech forum...) at the best will see the same thing seen in dragon dogma & no more: smoother fps on 360 version but tearing galore & triple buffer on ps3 but full of fps dips... MT framework can't handle more from this generation of console from what I see & I suspect this engine is extremely rigid for a close hardware...

Dusk Golem

Seems I have stumbled upon some end bosses. It sounds from the likes of things these are the final bosses for the three campaigns, so be warned, MAJOR SPOILERS.

Something about a 'Chaser'. Would that be Ustanak? Sounds likely as it makes particular mention of its arm attacks. I don't think anyone would be surprised that thing is one of the final bosses.

Something about a monster named Raskla. No idea what that is to be honest.

Well there's an obvious boss if I ever saw it, Simmons. That one guy who Helena acuses of causing this in the E3 trailer. Seriously, he's such an obvious bad guy it's ridiculous. Seems to having flying parts? A lance? Okay.... And a tail. Oh you Simmons~ Sounding like he mutates or something.

And here I thought we were done with the scene stuff, but it seems we're right back into it again. More scene/events/object/objective spoilers:

Something about a cliff hang event. Seems you have to climb a cliff at some point. Some other scene involving a chandelier. Another scene about a Cartridge and something that throws rotting bodies? Well okay then. Oh, here's a major spoiler. A scene about Carla's base. This is a major spoiler, but Carla is supposed to be a clone of Ada. Apparently she has a base now. Something about a camera door... A weird mention of a Blue Coin. Guessing those are the Blue Medallions. Something about a billboard. Oh! Here's the stage that takes place on the plane! They call it an aircraft though. The stage seems to change it's slant a lot, and requires a lot of programming to make that work well as lots of programming about the axis. No seriously, this is freaking long. They seemed to have put in a LOT of work into this stage on the plane.

I think I found some very small details about the other multiplayer modes.

Siege seems to be multiplayer mode where you can take advantage of vehicles and other stuff used in the campaign. One of the things mentioned is a Submarine, which might be a stage? I don't know.

Agent Predator, which is a multiplayer mode featuring Ustanak (one player controls him, maybe?) seems to be an eight-player mode.

Here's Slayers, but for some reason it's titled... 'Avalanche Slayers'. Okay? Not much here other than listings of the basic multiplayer stuff, like join game, host game, leaderboards, etc.

I also just found the game's full credits, if anyone wants it? Like the text for the game's full credit sequence.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm still trying to come to grips with the game. It's a huge change from RE5 and Revelations in so many ways.

For me, the key to enjoying an RE game is coming to grips with the gameplay it offers and what you can do with the characters. That's why none of the supposed flaws about RE5 (no moving while shooting, tank controls, etc.) bothered me because the core game was solid, well-refined and came together perfectly.

RE6 on the other hand is confusing. The inventory is difficult to manage and the camera is disorienting at times. And the controls... I actually can't comprehend everything displayed on the loading menu before the action begins. It's just not coming together well the way RE4 and RE5 did with their demos. RE6 seems to have been made by a team that took RE5's criticism a little too close to heart.

My favorite demo was definitely Leon's. It's a little slow-paced, but very easy to handle and a little reminiscent of older RE games. Chris' scenario was basically the early part of RE5 all over again, so I actually got through it using the same tactics I would use when playing that game (but not really utilizing much of the new actions available to RE6 -- I suspect this flawed approach will lead me to dying a lot in the final game). Hated Jake's scenario because his seems to require an adequate understanding of RE6's gameplay system (and how it differs from RE5) in order to beat it.

So, my initial impressions are quite negative. But that said, I'll be giving this more time over the coming days and I'm sure I'll come to grips with it sooner or later. Dare I say it, even Operation Raccoon City had 2 or 3 scenarios that were quite enjoyable once you figured out how to play the game effectively. I'm sure I'll find something to like about RE6, but probably not in this demo.
Amazing, thanks for the impressions CVXfreak, really appreciate it! (big fan btw :3)

Top Bottom