• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Of me or of the game? :p
Of you, of course ♥

FQlq1.png

Used all of them :3

Jawmuncher

You know all things considered, whether I end up liking this game or not.
I hope there's a 360 bundle for it.

Since I figure it would a purple console to go with the game's purple case.
Also was I the only one dissapointed when they announced the official box art?
Which was nothing more than the promotional display but just confirmed.

Varth

For me, the key to enjoying an RE game is coming to grips with the gameplay it offers and what you can do with the characters. That's why none of the supposed flaws about RE5 (no moving while shooting, tank controls, etc.) bothered me because the core game was solid, well-refined and came together perfectly.

So true. And perfectly fitting for the saga as a whole. I think that actually, RE is one of those games that's more defined by its limits than it is by its strong points.

RE6 on the other hand is confusing. The inventory is difficult to manage and the camera is disorienting at times. And the controls... I actually can't comprehend everything displayed on the loading menu before the action begins. It's just not coming together well the way RE4 and RE5 did with their demos. RE6 seems to have been made by a team that took RE5's criticism a little too close to heart.

I think it's just a mix between this...

I'm still trying to come to grips with the game. It's a huge change from RE5 and Revelations in so many ways.

...and the simple fact that the 3 sections are VERY poorly chosen. that's why I hoped the demo, or at least the preview code, were different from the E3 playable sections :(

rvy

Banned
The camera is really bad for Chris, because he's so huge. Everything else, I'm OK with. Only started liking RESI with 4 anyway, so I'm not bothered by the direction. Tried all the scenarios with a friend, enjoyed playing.
Looks very nice, aside from tearing.

Just finished the demo.

Chris now takes on the Triad who seems to have had some inbreeding with Mothra, and Jake/Sherry get to rumble with Bionic Commando bred with Jason Vorhees? Awesome!!

Leon just gets good old fashioned Zombies.

Those HUD's are just..wow. Leon's is bareable, but Chris's is downright fucking hideous. Go the multicolours haha.

The screen tearing is some of the worst I have ever seen...and I've played Saint's Row 2 :p

And the AI is laughable. The guys in Chris's campaign would aim at you, but not shoot, or if they did shoot at me, they would miss...and right when I was standing right in front of them too.

The zombies were even dumber. You could stand there right in there face, and reload, and they wouldn't do anything

The hit detection is also broken. You pull off a head shot, and it hits their arm, shoulder, and even goes through the head, yet it misses them completely.

The camera sensitivity also needs toning down.

And I don't know if anyone noticed it, but the janking when running made me feel dizzy. When running it seems that your character/camera stutters every second or so. It's like the camera man cannot quite keep up.

Despite all the flaws and issues, I still enjoyed it more then RE5 :p

gconsole

I have a bad feeling about the camera that it might not get fix because this thing seems to come from the Director himself. I respect his gut to change almost everything regarding to the combat. But the camera? Why? This is not about taste, this is about bad implementation. Why fix something that is not broken?

The closer camera while aim will give you intense feeling, as you feel more threatening from the enemy. But that shit remove half of the screen visibility. Most of the time I don't know what the heck I just shoot at. Enable laser sight will be even more weird. It's like shooting from the corner all the time.

I'm now used to close meelee combat. It's more convinient than I thought. But the old tactic with RE4/5 can no longer be used. So no shoot here at there to disoriented the enemy then get close for a quick attack. I only need to rush to them and punch in the face. It's easy but not sure if it could be a good tactic.

Carbonox

Didn't dusk golem say that the camera's distance when aiming can be customised in the full game? Cos something of the sort is within the demo's files when listing options.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't dusk golem say that the camera's distance when aiming can be customised in the full game? Cos something of the sort is within the demo's files when listing options.

we can't be sure all of these options will be surfaced to the player in the final game. they could be debug-menu-esque options.

Carbonox

we can't be sure all of these options will be surfaced to the player in the final game. they could be debug-menu-esque options.

That would be something if that was the actual reason. :lol :lol

"hey we have just the antidote to your camera problems...unfortunately it's a debug mode option so DLC FOR EVERYONE!"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I think it's kinda dreadful that we need all of those options to begin with, when they were perfect in RE 4 & 5. :/

Curufinwe

I'm still trying to come to grips with the game. It's a huge change from RE5 and Revelations in so many ways.

For me, the key to enjoying an RE game is coming to grips with the gameplay it offers and what you can do with the characters. That's why none of the supposed flaws about RE5 (no moving while shooting, tank controls, etc.) bothered me because the core game was solid, well-refined and came together perfectly.

The main flaw with RE 5 was having to babysit the AI character coupled with a poorly designed, real-time inventory system. That along with the lack of innovation and Mikami-caliber pacing are why RE 4 remains a far better game.

Carbonox

I think it's kinda dreadful that we need all of those options to begin with, when they were perfect in RE 4 & 5. :/

I think it's great that they've added a lot of options for the player to customise based on how they'd like to play. However, I can see it being confusing and daunting to your average player who might not be aware that game-changing options are available. So much stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The credits aren't full.

Organizing it all right now, they aren't since a few lists are empty and I'm guessing they're a still work in progress. Whatever the case I have them organized now though.

http://textuploader.com/?p=6&id=Y8GwY

Alternative: http://www.scribd.com/doc/99103776/Untitled
EDIT: I just noticed the first document cut off a little, so here's the end (though nothing really interesting in my opinion after the cut-off point)

QA FINE-TUNING
TAKANOBU NISHINO
RYUICHI SHIGENO
HIROSHI SUGIMOTO
TETSUYA SHIBUTANI
TEPPEI SHIMODE
TAKESHI NISHIMOTO
FUMIO YAMAUCHI
TAKAHIRO TOKUDA

TESTERS
YOSHIZUMI HORI
YOSHITATSU MORI
MASAAKI NAMIKI
TAKASHI ISHIHARA
SETSUO YAMAMOTO
MASATO TERAHATA
HIROAKI IGARASHI
SHINJI AMAGISHI
YUJI TOYODA
MADOKA SUGIHARA
SHINYA ISAKI
IKU OKAMURA
SHO ISHIHARA
YUKI MURAYAMA
KANAKO TSUJIMOTO
AYANO FUKUMOTO
NAOKO IBUKI
HIROKI NAGASAKI
CHIGUSA KAWANO
YOSHINOBU FUKUDA
AMI MATSUMOTO
YUKI TANAKA
TOSHIHIRO KOMOTO
SATOSHI KINOSHITA
YURIE KAWAKAMI
HIROKI KANEKO
MAYUMI NISHIDA

CAPCOM ALL STAFF
XENT
AggresserGroup
WOW
AID-DCC
AVANT
bi-to
Soundelux DMG
WARNER BROS
Sound Design and Mixing by Soundelux Design Music Group
DynaFont is a registered Trademark of DynaComware Taiwan Inc.
DynaComware
FontWorks
Artbeats Digital Film Library
Getty Images

ASSISTANT PRODUCER
EIICHIRO SASAKI
YOSHIAKI HIRABAYASHI
HIROYUKI KOBAYASHI
TSUKASA TAKENAKA

Thank you for playing!

CAPCOM

gconsole

Organizing it all right now, they aren't since a few lists are empty and I'm guessing they're a still work in progress. Whatever the case I have them organized now though.

EDIT: I just noticed the first document cut off a little, so here's the end (though nothing really interesting in my opinion after the cut-off point)

Thx Dusk Golem

No I'm curious who's
FINN MACAULEY

sensui-tomo

looks like leon is acted by jason faunt and not paul mercier if those credits are correct.(dude was a red power ranger in time force apparently) but hey paul's brother is in the game as someone.

Dusk Golem

To anyone who wants to know who Finn Macauley is:

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Finn_Macauley

Finn Macauley was a member of the B.S.A.A. European Branch on Chris Redfield's squad in Edonia. He was killed at the age of 22 in an attack that wiped out most of the squad on December 24th, 2012. Although the death of Finn and others caused Chris to leave the B.S.A.A. and attempt to drink away his guilt, six months later Piers Nivans manages to use their deaths to convince Chris to come back to the B.S.A.A. and assist with the outbreak in Lanshiang.

So changing the aiming to a laser and slowing down the aiming speed and camera speed makes things seem somewhat tolerable. Understanding how to roll and using the quick shoot mechanic helps too.

I enjoyed the Leon and Jake parts more this time, but man – the Chris section just seems broken. It has its moments where things go fairly smoothly, but for the most part it’s a fight against the controls.

Kinyou

I still don't really get the melee system. I want to use the same techniques from the earlier games but it always seems so random what the character will actually do. Only thing that worked so far was the classic headshot+melee attack. Shooting the enemies in the knee doesn't seem to do anything.

cvxfreak

The main flaw with RE 5 was having to babysit the AI character coupled with a poorly designed, real-time inventory system. That along with the lack of innovation and Mikami-caliber pacing are why RE 4 remains a far better game.

That was admittedly a problem at times. I like the route they took with Revelations: just make it so they can't die (although they don't do as much damage is exchange).

Operation Raccoon City's revive-after-death system is pretty good too.

Mr_Zombie

So neither Paul Mercier nor Sally Cahill returns. Sucks.
I wonder why did Capcom replace them.

With REUC Capcom's reason to replace the entire cast was that they wanted to hire non-union actors. But in later games, and even the movie, both Mercier and Cahill were voicing their characters. So why not in this game?

Jacob4815

Damn...so...

no Jill or Claire.. confirmed :(

cvxfreak

So neither Paul Mercier nor Sally Cahill returns. Sucks.
I wonder why did Capcom replace them.

With REUC Capcom's reason to replace the entire cast was that they wanted to hire non-union actors. But in later games, and even the movie, both Mercier and Cahill were voicing their characters. So why not in this game?

I agree, it sucks. They were replaced in ORC too.

Really hate how Capcom can't apparently keep the same VAs aside from Claire.

I don't get the chris demo: does he go from stumbling around drunk straight into battle with the zombie gunmen? Am I missing something here? I'm surprised he didn't fall off a ledge.

Carbonox

I don't get the chris demo: does he go from stumbling around drunk straight into battle with the zombie gunmen? Am I missing something here? I'm surprised he didn't fall off a ledge.

Hahaha. I'd imagine it will make more sense in the game itself. Unless the bar scene is treated as a flashback, given that it takes place in Europe, whereas the gameplay portion of his demo takes place in China.

SuperÑ;39500539 said:
I just played through the Leon part and god it is bad.

Bad controls and bad camera.

And i loved RE5.

When you push Y you go akimbo and the camera for that should have been the same for non akimbo.

I'm not sure why they decided to zoom the camera in so much while aiming for just one gun.

There's a lot of action in Chris' campaign so that gets kind of annoying.

Thank you to the guy who taught me the Jake running attack, OMG!! You can lock on from like half a room away then let go, Jake goes into full running animation where you can flip in any direction to dodge attacks, when he reaches the enemy he does his super palm attack. But from there you can continue to combo and he has like 5 other moves.

The best part though is how he manages crowd control. When you do that he automatically attacks all enemies around him. In the spot where the three enemies drop from the ceiling I charged at one, hit him, did a spin around in the air punch at the other guy, spun and uppercut the third guy, did a roundhouse sweep of the first guy on the floor and did a falling down punch on the second guy. AMAZING!!

Oh and one time I had an enemy run at me while I was charging up the palm attack but he got too close to soon so I let go of the charge before it was finished and so Jake instead did a small right hook but it took off the dudes head! So picture an enemy running at me and I quickly do a punch that blows up his head.

I am now doing melee exclusive runs with Jake, it turns the game into a sort of God Hand. The boss is so much fun to melee and dodge. You have to start paying attention to the fatigue bar as that goes down quick, I hope that is upgrade-able.

Carbonox

Thank you to the guy who taught me the Jake running attack, OMG!! You can lock on from like half a room away then let go, Jake goes into full running animation where you can flip in any direction to dodge attacks, when he reaches the enemy he does his super palm attack. But from there you can continue to combo and he has like 5 other moves.

The best part though is how he manages crowd control. When you do that he automatically attacks all enemies around him. In the spot where the three enemies drop from the ceiling I charged at one, hit him, did a spin around in the air punch at the other guy, spun and uppercut the third guy, did a roundhouse sweep of the first guy on the floor and did a falling down punch on the second guy. AMAZING!!

Oh and one time I had an enemy run at me while I was charging up the palm attack but he got too close to soon so I let go of the charge before it was finished and so Jake instead did a small right hook but it took off the dudes head! So picture an enemy running at me and I quickly do a punch that blows up his head.

I am now doing melee exclusive runs with Jake, it turns the game into a sort of God Hand. The boss is so much fun to melee and dodge. You have to start paying attention to the fatigue bar as that goes down quick, I hope that is upgrade-able.

Please please please please take a video. :lol Sounds so ridiculous.

Please please please please take a video. :lol Sounds so ridiculous.

I have no way of taking a good video.

The charge stuff is really easy as it is practically all automatic. Just go to where the three guys drop from the ceiling and hold LT and RT and wait for the red lockon marker to close on one of the enemies, then release RT. Jake will charge, once he hits the enemy just hit RT over and over and watch him beat the crap of the three of them.

omonimo

Banned
So basically the survival horror 'factor' is completely gone in this chapter? Even more than RE5? Because I don't read anything about it or maybe I have missed some post? This series seems dead after the fourth chapter... well, RE 4 wasn't exactly the most scary but at least was funny like hell...

Jackpot

Banned
That's not official. There are still plenty of characters left to be announced apparently and the text file doesn't contain absolutely everything on the game.

well, actually...
The odds of a major character being in the final game and not have any mention in moves list, levels, cutscene cues and all the rest of the data there is slim to none.

Carbonox

well, actually...
The odds of a major character being in the final game and not have any mention in moves list, levels, cutscene cues and all the rest of the data there is slim to none.

That would be incredibly disappointing. :\ Is there no way Capcom could have rigged the files so to speak in terms of accessibility from the demo? So like purposefully removing content, especially if the demo's files doesn't contain everything anyway? Maybe this particular demo (which was shown at E3) was made a while ago and the contents within were set up to help keep the majority of the game a secret still?

Bah, I dunno. I'd be rather annoyed if what you say is the reality of it all.

Dusk Golem

That's not official. There are still plenty of characters left to be announced apparently and the text file doesn't contain absolutely everything on the game.

Yeah and no, they seem to have stepped around having everything in the demo but still some interesting things all around... But it also seems very unlikely.

Now spoiler digging time again through the demo's files.

Just went a bit further and got back to more information about the content of the game. Was just on the act that was obviously Chris's flash back scene when all of his men died.
Apparently has a jeep section in it, then takes to the streets, then leads to an Open Market, which then leads to the event titled 'Crew_Explodes'. Real subtle. Also, Ada scene.
. Also got a bit on a boss.
You seem to fight a boss, titled aptly 'boss', at a Bamboo Scaffold. I have a weird feeling It's that giant snake enemy we saw in the E3 trailer.

Two more quick things, with potential spoilers (though you could also conduct this by all the trailers so far),
seems Simmons has an intel base which is a location in the game. Also it seems there's a thing called a 'Spore Base'. Who wants to bet the spores are what's causing the gas turning people into zombies? The Spore Base seems to have these enemies nicknamed 'Tumor'. Attractive.

And now time for MAJOR SPOILERS, I think I just found the scene for Chris's campaign final boss. It has the name of various attacks, listed by an enemy nicknamed 'Final', and Chris and Piers are mentioned so it's kind of obvious...
I don't know what the boss is but it sounds to be related directly to the J'Avos since it apparently can give birth to those 'Born' enemies, the Sanagi. Some of it's attacks include punching, this thing called Nail Burst (seems it can also do a nail punch), it can charge up the Sanagi around it, has some drain attack, and heart attack(?).

And I found another boss (wow these bosses are scrunched together). It uses a Japanese word that sort of gives me a big clue in on what it is. Again, major spoilers even if this is a guess.
The boss fight, labelled boss, mentions a lot about player actions and is labelled 'Kakutou', which is a Japanese word for wrestle, or fist fight. I'm betting this is a Leon vs Chris boss fight.

And now I found the perimeter's for one of the game's multiplayer modes
Slayers. At least I believe it's Slayers, it's listed as Versus Mode. Talks about things like blocking, tackling other players, something called the Boisterous Dance, mentions Jake and Sherrt, including Sherry's Constrict (?), mentions the Chaser is in it (betting the 'Chaser' is the nickname for Ustanak), a hold throw, and more. Reading more, it seems in Versus (Slayers) mode you can pick up health items, and frames for shields I assume. Also it seems the Boisterous Dance is done to recover some health if done successfully, but if it fails you're a sitting duck to be pummeled. Also seems to have combo rewards, and something about magma.

And another boss. Less is known about this one, but
it seems like it uses a lot of bite attacks, it has two phases (transforms once), and must be in a city and pretty big since it can stomp and pick up and throw Taxis.

ANNNDD I think I found Jake's final boss scene too. Again, MAJOR SPOILERS
This has to be Simmons. Earlier I mentioned there was a boss battle for Simmons and he had a lance and tail and all that? This boss apparently is a final boss for Jake and throws lances which Jake has to counter, has three forms, and apparently the final part has Jake doing some mad running dash to deliver the final blow.

If anyone's interested in all of this, I can continue later.

Carbonox

It's underwhelming that *MAJOR SPOILERS*
Simmons is a final boss as he comes across as a pawn of something bigger himself. He's only the NSA director whose role in the story will be interesting, given that he's orchestrating so much terror around the world, somehow without the knowledge of the fucking government. Still, he just comes across as a nobody in RE terms.

Dusk Golem

It's underwhelming that *MAJOR SPOILERS*
Simmons is a final boss as he comes across as a pawn of something bigger himself. He's only the NSA director whose role in the story will be interesting, given that he's orchestrating so much terror around the world, somehow without the knowledge of the fucking government. Still, he just comes across as a nobody in RE terms.

I agree, Simmons is one of the most obvious villains really. However, I am sort of glad he's just one final boss and not the 'ultimate' final boss. It seems that Jake and Sherry face Simmons, Chris and Piers face... Something that's related to the J'Avos, like some mother J'Avo or something of the sort. And it seems that Leon and Helena's final boss will be Ustanak if the Chaser is Ustanak like I theorize it is, and seems very likely. And in the end, if the final boss with Simmons is cool and if he's a likable enough villain in the game I may not mind to much in the end.

It kind of makes sense though. Sherry and Jake sort of have a 'Hero's Story' thing going on for them, so they have a villain for a final boss, plus Simmons is Sherry's supervisor. Chris is having a story of redemption, so it makes sense his final boss is against essentially a monster and the source for his downfall and what killed his men. And this is just a guess, but I am betting that Ustanak is Helena's sister (their hair is very similar and a few quick scenesi n the E3 trailer kind of hint at this) and Leon's story is 'just another monster' for him (he always gets involved in others problems, really), and Helena's sacrifice she has to make or something like that. Leon's is just a guess really, but it seems really likely. Just need to find his final boss scene later.

Carbonox

I agree, Simmons is one of the most obvious villains really. However, I am sort of glad he's just one final boss and not the 'ultimate' final boss. It seems that Jake and Sherry face Simmons, Chris and Piers face... Something that's related to the J'Avos, like some mother J'Avo or something of the sort. And it seems that Leon and Helena's final boss will be Ustanak if the Chaser is Ustanak like I theorize it is, and seems very likely. And in the end, if the final boss with Simmons is cool and he's a likable enough villain in the game I may not mind to much in the end.

Regarding Leon and Helena, that would be even more underwhelming, haha. Especially given how there's no surprise there and that
Ustanak's role in the game is to capture Jake
. I truly hope there's more to it.

I actually wonder if there is a
final boss who everyone faces together via the crossover system. We know that Leon, Helena, Jake and Sherry take on Ustanak at some point but maybe the true final boss incorporates Chris and Piers too. That would be a suitable way to end the game I think.

Dusk Golem

Regarding Leon and Helena, that would be even more underwhelming, haha. Especially given how there's no surprise there and that
Ustanak's role in the game is to capture Jake
. I truly hope there's more to it.

I actually wonder if there is a
final boss who everyone faces together via the crossover system. We know that Leon, Helena, Jake and Sherry take on Ustanak at some point but maybe the true final boss incorporates Chris and Piers too. That would be a suitable way to end the game I think.

Just to keep others who don't want to read this out, we are discussing huge ass major spoilers right now, really don't read if you don't want to. Think final boss and such.
There may be, and I have less clues on who Ada would fight, if anyone. Ada definitely has a scenario in this game, it has cutscenes, an option for it on the main menu, and some of the scenes seem to apply to her, but who would she fight? I don't know who Ada's partner is, but she does have one (the files call her partner simply 'HELPER', though). It could be her clone is her partner or her final boss, I have no idea what their relationship is yet.

blixa

Banned
I have a bad feeling about the camera that it might not get fix because this thing seems to come from the Director himself. I respect his gut to change almost everything regarding to the combat. But the camera? Why? This is not about taste, this is about bad implementation. Why fix something that is not broken?

The closer camera while aim will give you intense feeling, as you feel more threatening from the enemy. But that shit remove half of the screen visibility. Most of the time I don't know what the heck I just shoot at.

how does this make sense? it's impossible for enemies aimed at to be blocked by the character model (except maybe when aiming towards whichever side the character is standing, can't remember), yet you don't know what you shoot at, especially when closer?

never managed to aim off-camera either..

NICE.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dusk, your spoilers are about the only thing keeping my hope alive for this game. lol. Leon and Jake's section seem like they're going to have some interesting shit going on in them.

Top Bottom