• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 spotted out in the wild...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, they'll be conned again when they buy the full game.
Do you really think the game is going to be of poor quality? I think it'll be one of the better games of 2012 when all is said and done.

sleepykyo

Do you really think the game is going to be of poor quality? I think it'll be one of the better games of 2012 when all is said and done.

Half joking. But I do expect that the technical issues on the PS3 are going to be more detrimental to the overall experience.

1. The game seems to be doing more.
2. The RE series gets progressively more action orientated with each installment. Sub cinematic for RE5 might not have been an issue, but RE6 (Chris and Jake especially) looks really summer blockbuster actionish.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The demo was god awful, technical (tearing) and mechanical (fucked up camera) issues aside.
It's a demo, though. The first RE4 demo wasn't great either and suffered from a couple of major design flaws (that were addressed in the final game) such as having to equip the knife to use it.

Based on everything I've seen, I still think it's going to be an amazing game.

But I do expect that the technical issues on the PS3 are going to be more detrimental to the overall experience.
Thus far, the PS3 version (as played at trade shows) features a smoother framerate than RE5 did and no tearing. It's the 360 version that has made a poor showing at this point (hopefully it will be corrected). It looks like the PS3 version is going to be solid (at least much more so than RE5).

Lucent

Half joking. But I do expect that the technical issues on the PS3 are going to be more detrimental to the overall experience.

1. The game seems to be doing more.
2. The RE series gets progressively more action orientated with each installment. Sub cinematic for RE5 might not have been an issue, but RE6 (Chris and Jake especially) looks really summer blockbuster actionish.

Seems like it runs a hell of a lot better than that 360 build from two months ago. =l

Evidence

Lucent

the public demo should've been the "airplane crash site" one.. if they want extra sales, damn it.

Yeah. But hearing that the public demo will be different kinda helps me. September 18th will be a great day. Borderlands 2 and a new RE6 demo. Plus less homework than usual. I hope.

Metalmarc

september the 18th (well 19th in uk) for us who didnt buy dragons dogma really? fuck whats the point when its out 2 weeks later

may as well skip the demo alltogether now!

Lucent

september the 18th (well 19th in uk) for us who didnt buy dragons dogma really? fuck whats the point when its out 2 weeks later

may as well skip the demo alltogether now!

Supposedly the public demo, the one you're talking about, is the one from SDCC. So it won't be the same one anyway if true. It'd be like having two demos.

Some people don't really care when a demo is released. Even if it's a day before they're happy because they get to try it to be sure they'll like it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really dislike the people who run the US PSN. I mean, not personally, but how they conduct business bothers me in ways I cannot put into words for fear of permaban.

omonimo

Banned

We talking of graphic or gameplay? Because honestly this RE6 don't catch my attention a part the comfortant ps3 performance...it seems a generic third shooter & no more...

Lucent

We talking of graphic or gameplay? Because honestly this RE6 don't catch my attention a part the comfortant ps3 performance...it seems a generic third shooter & no more...

Oh okay. What's not generic? =l

There's more to RE than shooting. And if you've been paying attention, ammo is supposed to be pretty scarce in this game. It's not gonna be like Gears of War where you're like "oh man I'm out of ammo for this gun I guess I'll throw this gun in the trash and pick up another off this dead guy over here". I don't know why it seems like people are immediately dismissing RE6 as a "generic third person shooter" when there are games that are far more deserving of such a claim. Just because it's not like the old RE games doesn't mean it's not RE. Old RE must've been super generic by today's standards then because it was also a third person shooter and you could do way less in it.

/rant

blixa

Banned
still, the worst claim i've heard about biohazard is when someone on her -- quite recently -- said that bio 4 had nothing innovative or revolutionary about it, not taking into account it came out in 2005, and he is playing it for the first time in freaking 2012. the thing single-handedly created and is responsible for this tps-craze.

such stupidity should be illegal, and no comment about the series surprises me any more..

Evolved1

I don't think there's a single goddamn thing that is "generic" about Resident Evil. The franchise has been doing its own things since its inception, and continues change with each iteration. Much of what's common now in TPS originates from RE4. They have cover, now, but it's done in their own way... like everything else. Hardly any game has the replay value or ridiculous amount of content, challenges, extras. The DLC is actually really well done. Mercs mode is basically it's own game which others have aped to make a standalone package.

The story is unlike anything else in games... maybe Metal Gear the only franchise that beats it for sheer girth and absurdity, while still reaming interesting and loved by fans.

The game is not generic. What is generic is calling things generic when they aren't.

Lucent

still, the worst claim i've heard about biohazard is when someone on her -- quite recently -- said that bio 4 had nothing innovative or revolutionary about it, not taking into account it came out in 2005, and he is playing it for the first time in freaking 2012. the thing single-handedly created and is responsible for this tps-craze.

such stupidity should be illegal, and no comment about the series surprises me any more..

lol. Exactly. Gears of War's over the shoulder was inspired by RE4. It's funny how people finally get around to playing a game that came out years ago and fault it for not being as good as games today. Poor RE4 getting no respect.

Good stuff.

If there were like buttons on here. =p

But, yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had a "wtf moment" after what he said.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there's a single goddamn thing that is "generic" about Resident Evil. The franchise has been doing its own things since its inception, and continues change with each iteration. Much of what's common now in TPS originates from RE4. They have cover, now, but it's done in their own way... like everything else. Hardly any game has the replay value or ridiculous amount of content, challenges, extras. The DLC is actually really well done. Mercs mode is basically it's own game which others have aped to make a standalone package.

The story is unlike anything else in games... maybe Metal Gear the only franchise that beats it for sheer girth and absurdity, while still reaming interesting and loved by fans.

The game is not generic. What is generic is calling things generic when they aren't.

Jeez, what a generic post.

Anth0ny

It's a demo, though. The first RE4 demo wasn't great either and suffered from a couple of major design flaws (that were addressed in the final game) such as having to equip the knife to use it.

I thought the Resident Evil 4 demo was by far the greatest demo ever made. I've pumped more time into that demo than I have most games I own.

So I don't they're we're going to come to an agreement here :lol

I don't think RE6 is doomed. Of course, a demo isn't the be all end all of the final game's quality. But my expectations are low.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Another day, another set for the rumor mill. This one is a bit interesting, but like any rumors for now, without evidence it should all be taken with a grain of salt. It sounds the most plausible to me, and touches on a few things that I don't think many people outside of the press know about at this time. However, the source of this rumor is from GameFAQs, so... Yeah. But regardless, true or not, it'll be interesting to look back on these.

According to this rumor...

*warning: potential MAJOR spoilers*

The Adam that Leon kills at the beginning of RE6 is a clone. Each campaign has a 'villain', with Leon and Helena's ultimately being President Adams, Chris's and Pier's being Carla, and Jake's and Sherry's being Simmons. Adam and Simmons were working together to collapse and rebuild the government. Peoples faith in the government had crumbled ever since the Raccoon City incident, which many suspected the government were behind. Adams and Simmons wanted to destroy the worlds governments, put the whole world in fear, of a group they created called Neo-Umbrella, and use the opportunity of mankind's downfall to rebuild a new society, with Simmons as the leader and 'savior' of the planet and Adams working in secret in an underground facility.

However, they're aware of some 'loose strings' in their plan. First of all is the fact that Ada knows about Adams in hiding and their plan (as well as her clone, Carla). They first use Carla as a way to try and get Chris, captain of the BSAA, to target and kill her, but he unsuspectingly runs and goes into hiding instead. Their back-up plan is to blackmail a recent agent, Helena, into making Leon suspect Ada of being responsible, using Helena's sister, Deborah, as bait.

They're also concerned about Leon himself, Adams right-hand man. He knows all about what really happened in Raccoon City, and being one of the only survivors and the public knowing he is, he could potentially be the downfall of their plan and thus put Leon in the position of being a 'president killer', and bring him specifically to Tall Oaks in public eye to frame him and hopefully dispose of him in the outbreak. Ultimately Leon and Helena locate the real Adams hiding in an underground facility under a giant structure in China. Cornered, he injects himself and becomes a C-Virus version of a Tyrant, like the Ustanak, and is fought for a while until, guess who, Ada throws them a rocket launcher to finish the fight.

The next 'loose string' is Chris, a lead member of the BSAA. They had made a clone of Ada (explained in Ada's campaign, as well as more of the villains plot), named Carla, to make Chris try and target and kill her (as Ada is the only person who knows truth behind their plan and they want to prevent her at all costs giving the information to the organization she works for and it becoming public or known). Unexpected of their plans, however, is that Chris runs away from it all and goes into hiding. They make the BSAA search and hunt for Chris' location, and eventually find him in China. Chris doesn't remember anything though, and unfortunately for Adams and Simmons Carla isn't a die-hard person. The clones aren't exactly like their counterparts, and Carla is a very intelligent but also gentler person. Simmons takes advantage of this initially, taking Carla to be his wife and make her do his will. But as the game transgresses, Carla believes less and less in what Simmons wants her to believe and starts to feel more for Chris. However, Simmons becomes aware of this and injects her with a special C-Virus sample that transforms her into a 'queen' C-Virus monster, which is Chris's and Pier's final boss battle. Similarly, when Helena failed to make Leon suspect Ada and when they work with her, Helena's sister was injected and sent after Leon, Helena, and Ada, which is when she reveals to Leon it was Simmons who caused all of this and try to make him suspect Ada.

Chris regains his memories and he and Piers have some strangely touching moments. They finish their story by solidifying their drive to protect the world at all costs, with Piers also being promoted.

Sherry is blackmailed by Simmons through the G-Virus antibody in her blood. She has a fate to be forever captive by the US Government, until Simmons offers her a deal for her freedom if she can bring a man named Jake back to him. She is trained and goes off to bring Jake back to Simmons, but as Jake's rebellious ways makes him say hell no to the offer and Sherry and him start bonding, they just send the Ustanak after them. Jake's blood is needed for Adam's idea of government recreation. After the Ustanak fails (Chris and Pier's BSAA team ultimately bring him down, though it kills the rest of the men they had with them involving an underwater facility and a collapse as the team goes down with the Ustanak), when Jake and Sherry arrive at the heart of Simmons base he tries and negotiate with Jake, who downright refuses and Simmons ultimately get angry and decides to take Jake's blood for himself, transforming himself into a king C-Virus monster. Their story ends with Sherry feeling terrible for all that she's put Jake through, there is a hint that they do like each other, but Jake leaves her, telling her to enjoy her freedom as he disappears into a crowd of people in China.

Ada's story less was talked about, but her ending involves her escaping via a helicopter into the sunset.

For Mercenaries, they make mention you start with three characters but not sure how you unlock the others. Also mentions Infinite ammo is most likely unlocked by beating the game on professional.

This and the amount of detail they go into things, as well as the fact it all makes sense and actually fits perfectly with a few things I knew from a capcom rep makes me suspect this one may be true, but we won't know until we have proof.

Evolved1

I was going to check at 5pm EST... so that's funny. I'll let you guys know.

Beth Cyra

Another day, another set for the rumor mill. This one is a bit interesting, but like any rumors for now, without evidence it should all be taken with a grain of salt. It sounds the most plausible to me, and touches on a few things that I don't think many people outside of the press know about at this time. However, the source of this rumor is from GameFAQs, so... Yeah. But regardless, true or not, it'll be interesting to look back on these.

According to this rumor...

*warning: potential MAJOR spoilers*

The Adam that Leon kills at the beginning of RE6 is a clone. Each campaign has a 'villain', with Leon and Helena's ultimately being President Adams, Chris's and Pier's being Carla, and Jake's and Sherry's being Simmons. Adam and Simmons were working together to collapse and rebuild the government. Peoples faith in the government had crumbled ever since the Raccoon City incident, which many suspected the government were behind. Adams and Simmons wanted to destroy the worlds governments, put the whole world in fear, of a group they created called Neo-Umbrella, and use the opportunity of mankind's downfall to rebuild a new society, with Simmons as the leader and 'savior' of the planet and Adams working in secret in an underground facility.

However, they're aware of some 'loose strings' in their plan. First of all is the fact that Ada knows about Adams in hiding and their plan (as well as her clone, Carla). They first use Carla as a way to try and get Chris, captain of the BSAA, to target and kill her, but he unsuspectingly runs and goes into hiding instead. Their back-up plan is to blackmail a recent agent, Helena, into making Leon suspect Ada of being responsible, using Helena's sister, Deborah, as bait.

They're also concerned about Leon himself, Adams right-hand man. He knows all about what really happened in Raccoon City, and being one of the only survivors and the public knowing he is, he could potentially be the downfall of their plan and thus put Leon in the position of being a 'president killer', and bring him specifically to Tall Oaks in public eye to frame him and hopefully dispose of him in the outbreak. Ultimately Leon and Helena locate the real Adams hiding in an underground facility under a giant structure in China. Cornered, he injects himself and becomes a C-Virus version of a Tyrant, like the Ustanak, and is fought for a while until, guess who, Ada throws them a rocket launcher to finish the fight.

The next 'loose string' is Chris, a lead member of the BSAA. They had made a clone of Ada (explained in Ada's campaign, as well as more of the villains plot), named Carla, to make Chris try and target and kill her (as Ada is the only person who knows truth behind their plan and they want to prevent her at all costs giving the information to the organization she works for and it becoming public or known). Unexpected of their plans, however, is that Chris runs away from it all and goes into hiding. They make the BSAA search and hunt for Chris' location, and eventually find him in China. Chris doesn't remember anything though, and unfortunately for Adams and Simmons Carla isn't a die-hard person. The clones aren't exactly like their counterparts, and Carla is a very intelligent but also gentler person. Simmons takes advantage of this initially, taking Carla to be his wife and make her do his will. But as the game transgresses, Carla believes less and less in what Simmons wants her to believe and starts to feel more for Chris. However, Simmons becomes aware of this and injects her with a special C-Virus sample that transforms her into a 'queen' C-Virus monster, which is Chris's and Pier's final boss battle. Similarly, when Helena failed to make Leon suspect Ada and when they work with her, Helena's sister was injected and sent after Leon, Helena, and Ada, which is when she reveals to Leon it was Simmons who caused all of this and try to make him suspect Ada.

Chris regains his memories and he and Piers have some strangely touching moments. They finish their story by solidifying their drive to protect the world at all costs, with Piers also being promoted.

Sherry is blackmailed by Simmons through the G-Virus antibody in her blood. She has a fate to be forever captive by the US Government, until Simmons offers her a deal for her freedom if she can bring a man named Jake back to him. She is trained and goes off to bring Jake back to Simmons, but as Jake's rebellious ways makes him say hell no to the offer and Sherry and him start bonding, they just send the Ustanak after them. Jake's blood is needed for Adam's idea of government recreation. After the Ustanak fails (Chris and Pier's BSAA team ultimately bring him down, though it kills the rest of the men they had with them involving an underwater facility and a collapse as the team goes down with the Ustanak), when Jake and Sherry arrive at the heart of Simmons base he tries and negotiate with Jake, who downright refuses and Simmons ultimately get angry and decides to take Jake's blood for himself, transforming himself into a king C-Virus monster. Their story ends with Sherry feeling terrible for all that she's put Jake through, there is a hint that they do like each other, but Jake leaves her, telling her to enjoy her freedom as he disappears into a crowd of people in China.

Ada's story less was talked about, but her ending involves her escaping via a helicopter into the sunset.

For Mercenaries, they make mention you start with three characters but not sure how you unlock the others. Also mentions Infinite ammo is most likely unlocked by beating the game on professional.

This and the amount of detail they go into things, as well as the fact it all makes sense and actually fits perfectly with a few things I knew from a capcom rep makes me suspect this one may be true, but we won't know until we have proof.

Got to say, if this really is the case then I'm really going to be bored and disappointed.

The other Spoiler rumors may have been bad, but at least they some of they would have had shock value. This shit is just boring.

Evolved1

I never bought RE5. Should I get it and beat it before RE6 comes out?

Hard to say... don't know what you like. I was initially really put off by RE5, the AI partner imo is one of the worst AI in gaming. However, RE5 eventually became one of my favorite games of the gen, and I really love it now. I even tolerate the AI when I'm playing solo.

I love it. A lot of people do. And a lot of people don't.

Maybe watch some vids? And then decide for yourself? Depending on what system you have, there are people on gaf who would co-op with you. I'm on PS3, and a few others, but I don't really know the 360 people.

Oh, I've played it. I'm just asking in relation to RE6. Would playing RE5 so close to RE6 spoil me? Are the controls worse?

I've heard replaying RE4 would be a mistake because I would get spoiled by the great controls. Do you think the same would be true for RE5?

Kaldea

Yeah, those last spoilers are really disappointing. The others were more interesting. :(

Absolutely NOTHING interesting about Ada or her time with Leon then?

Dusk Golem

Are there any non story impressions. You know like how good is the game?

From the leak? No, word from the leak is a bit far. We know it happened, someone took a quick video of the prelude and posted the game's case and disk as well as pictures of the game's manual, but nothing solid on impressions or spoilers yet.

However, you can read some pretty extensive impressions from the media who got to play the first two chapters of Leon's, Chris's, and Jake's campaigns. All over the internet and quite interesting.

I could leave my own impressions of what I've played, as others could too I'm certain, but not nearly complete impressions.

Evolved1

Oh, I've played it. I'm just asking in relation to RE6. Would playing RE5 so close to RE6 spoil me? Are the controls worse?

I've heard replaying RE4 would be a mistake because I would get spoiled by the great controls. Do you think the same would be true for RE5?

I have never liked the RE controls. I accepted them for RE4 because that was how the game was designed, and similarly in RE5, the game was designed around those controls. And they work for those games (although left stick aim on RE4 HD is still retarded) but I've never liked them. Even going back to the original games I never liked the tank controls. But the games were good enough that I could look past that aspect and really get into them.

RE5 has an updated controls scheme that allows you to strafe, and aim is on the right stick... you couldn't do that in RE4.

There are many people who think RE4 was the pinnacle of gaming and the controls were perfect. Personally I hated the controls, but I still loved the game.

RE6 has a modern move-and-shoot scheme. I'm very happy about that. Whether or not you can go back to the old games after playing the new one's, or vice versa, I don't see how it matters if you really want to play a particular game in the series. All the control schemes are functional once you adjust... even the original games.

Beth Cyra

Personally? I say no, but I also think who ever really believes RE4's controls are some amazing bastion of control is out of their fucking mind. YOu should be just fine playing 4 and 5 (I didn in the last two months in fact) and still going into RE6.

Save for the Wii version of course.

Dusk Golem

Personally? I say know, but I also think who ever really believes RE4's controls are some amazing bastion of control is out of their fucking mind.

How old are you? I ask because when the game came out the controls WERE some amazing bastion of controls for third person shooters that really innovated the genre and lead to the control of games like Gears of War, Dead Space, and a lot more. The game is 7 years old now though, and control-wise has been bested by now of course, especially since a lot of TPS pulled from it.

Beth Cyra

How old are you? I ask because when the game came out the controls WERE some amazing bastion of controls for third person shooters that really innovated the genre and lead to the control of games like Gears of War, Dead Space, and a lot more. The game is 7 years old now though, and control-wise has been bested by now of course, especially since a lot of TPS pulled from it.

I've been gaming since the NES so old enough.

I disagree, they worked but they weren't amazing and they certainly arn't by today's or even RE5 standards.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Personally? I say no, but I also think who ever really believes RE4's controls are some amazing bastion of control is out of their fucking mind. YOu should be just fine playing 4 and 5 (I didn in the last two months in fact) and still going into RE6.

No, the Wii controls break the game. The gamepad controls are fucking ace as the game is perfectly designed around them.

Evolved1

No they weren't. Imo they were shit. But they were fine for what the game was, and RE4 was still one of the best games I'd ever played.

I've been gaming since atari.

No, the Wii controls break the game. The gamepad controls are fucking ace as the game is perfectly designed around them.

It was OK on the gamecube pad... but play that shit on a dual shock and it's a freakin' nightmare until you finally adjust.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It was OK on the gamecube pad... but play that shit on a dual shock and it's a freakin' nightmare until you finally adjust.
The Dualshock controls are great, but I prefer the 360 pad because it's closer (but still not exact, of course) to the Cube pad in layout. Also the sticks are more resistant which I feel is better for the game too.

Dusk Golem

The controls for games like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, or the first couple Splinter Cell games, or Freedom Fighters left a lot to be desired. They were often very floaty and fighting against the camera, or robotic, very off-point and difficult to pinpoint at times with a constant problem your own character would often be blocking your line-of-shot, and quite a few didn't have the camera move with your cross-hair (if there was one)

Some games were designed with specific mechanics around this. Max Payne would be the first game to really revolutionize third person controls to something much more fluid and solid, and the bullet time was a great hook which also allowed for more time to plan out your shots.

What RE4 brought to the table was it's aiming mechanic. IF you guys are talking about how Leon moves when walking he just moves like a tank character, with the camera behind him instead of fixed. What RE4 brought that was revolutionary was how he controls when he takes aim. The camera fluidly followed his crosshair, with a better and more well-executed crosshair with the laser sights. It was amplified that the enemies reacted better to shots given to them (in a lot of old games, shots were either headshot or not-a-headshot) and controlled better thanks to the placement of Leon on the screen when aiming. TPS before that point wouldn't make the camera directly follow where you were aiming, or put the character in a good position when firing if not from a first-person perspective. The controls in these games also was either too floaty or too clunky (Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher felt so robotic how he moved his gun, while the given examples of FF and MA:GitS had extremely floaty aiming), which was swapped out for a smoother aiming system in RE4 which also introduced a hero who's aim fidgeted a little in a realistic non-mundane matter as he held out his gun.

The controls in admittance were helped mostly by gameplay design, but smoothing and ironing out aiming while also working on a better camera for TPS made a big difference, and is why so many TPS after it pulled from RE4. Of course it doesn't compare to today's standards, but there's a reason the controls were praised back then.

gconsole

I don't get it. Why some of you can really read all the fake spoiler just to ruin your experience? What do you get from that?

Dusk Golem

I don't get it. Why some of you can really read all the fake spoiler just to ruin your experience? What do you get from that?

For me I already know way to much from when I was browsing the demo files. I care about the RE narrative, but I have never cared that much if I was spoiled or not. Before I played REmake and RE2, I already knew their complete stories. What I really like about the series the most is actually the gameplay. I don't care as much if I know all about the story beforehand, what I don't want spoiled to me is gameplay areas and moments which I want to respond to as they come. That's why I am avoiding gameplay videos now, but I don't care if I know the story of what's going to happen.

Beth Cyra

It doesn't ruin my experince.

To me knowing something happens doesn't mean much, it's about how well it's done and experincing it for myself.

Top Bottom