• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 spotted out in the wild...

The_Monk

Oh ok, so the Demo coming on September 18th is going to be public but it's a different Demo than the current one fellow GAFfers are talking/playing right now?

Thanks for answering blixa I want to try it out but I'm fine if others play it first since they were asking for it first.

Lucent

Oh ok, so the Demo coming on September 18th is going to be public but it's a different Demo than the current one fellow GAFfers are talking/playing right now?

Thanks for answering blixa I want to try it out but I'm fine if others play it first since they were asking for it first.

September 18th is gonna be a good day. New RE6 demo and Borderlands 2. =D

ironcreed

Banned
jake's scenario playing as sherry (like the design more, though jake's design during china and whatnot, with the belt and boots, is an improvement from the outfit in the demo) is still my favorite. did you play that yet? thoughts?
they're all fantastic though, and much better than anything in 5.. which was a great game too.

Just played through the Chris and Jake segments. Only gripe with Chris is that the camera feels a bit too close with his big ass shoulders, but I got used to it. I also really loved the gun recoil and shooting in general. It feels like silk. Overall, playing with Chris is going to appease the part of me that loved RE5 and I am glad it's here. Oh, and holy shit at the giant explosions, lol. Just wow.

Now I am going to love playing with Jake and Sherry. I liked Jake as a character especially right off the bat. He just has that likable personality that you know is going to come off with some really memorable lines. Also really loved the environment here and the giant mutant guy is even more excellent character design. And talk about gorgeous visuals, this part of the demo looked the best. But the game is just great looking period.

All in all you can tell that it is but a drop in the bucket of the content that the full package will have with all of the characters. Only real concern is that I hope the AI is tweaked to be a bit smarter, but on the whole I think this game is going to be an absolute beast for RE fans across the board. It's all here, but with updated production value and gameplay.

ironcreed

Banned
There's no screen tearing but no framerate drops? What? Lol it's not Dragon's Dogma level but the drops are definitely there.

Regardless, it's a pretty good looking game (console shortcomings aside) - glad they're putting the nighttime lighting they perfected in DD to good use here.

As for the gameplay... it's no Resident Evil but I must admit I'm having fun going Kung fu on these zombies with just a combat knife. This game basically feels as though the game universe and the movie universe finally merged into one. If you like the RE movies, I suppose that can be considered a good thing.

Funny that, the game runs smooth as can be for me. Looks and runs very clean.

blixa

Banned
Just played through the Chris and Jake segments. Only gripe with Chris is that the camera feels a bit too close with his big ass shoulders, but I got used to it. I also really loved the gun recoil and shooting in general. It feels like silk. Overall, playing with Chris is going to appease the part of me that loved RE5 and I am glad it's here. Oh, and holy shit at the giant explosions, lol. Just wow.

Now I am going to love playing with Jake and Sherry. I liked Jake as a character especially right off the bat. He just has that likable personality that you know is going to come off with some really memorable lines. Also really loved the environment here and the giant mutant guy is even more excellent character design. And talk about gorgeous visuals, this part of the demo looked the best. But the game is just great looking period.

All in all you can tell that it is but a drop in the bucket of the content that the full package will have with all of the characters. Only real concern is that I hope the AI is tweaked to be a bit smarter, but on the whole I think this game is going to be an absolute beast for RE fans across the board. It's all here, but with updated production value and gameplay.

mastered the controls and tactics yet? for example, sliding into the little vent in the wall (ground level) to get to the other side while being chased -- a nice feature, which will lead to more advanced stuff later on.
& side/forward/back jump whenever the mechanical arm is closing in -- super cool.
rolling to dodge while shooting, crawling etc etc.
i'll say it again; ustanak > nemesis. he feels more threathening, like it's created to relly fuck you up. the design is excellent.

blixa

Banned
How are you guys all getting the demo? I'd love to give it a shot as well :/

But if need be, I'll wait till September 18.

it's only for those that doesn't jump into the game with the mindset of hating it.
just kidding. there was an account sharing going on, but it's stuck as some haven't de-activated the account from their part yet. check back later.

ironcreed

Banned
mastered the controls and tactics yet? for example, sliding into the little vent in the wall (ground level) to get to the other side while being chased -- a nice feature, which will lead to more advanced stuff later on.
& side/forward/back jump whenever the mechanical arm is closing in -- super cool.
rolling to dodge while shooting, crawling etc etc.
i'll say it again; ustanak > nemesis. he feels more threathening, like it's created to relly fuck you up. the design is excellent.

LOL, nah, I have not mastered all the little nuances yet. But I'll get there as I keep playing it. I am really anxious to see what kinds of monstrosities will be thrown at us, as you can die pretty damn easily against the likes of that guy. As it should be.

Dartastic

Crap. "An error occured during the install operation (80029780). Have people not deactivated or something? =(

I wanna play this demo. =(

ApolloJoh

How are you guys all getting the demo? I'd love to give it a shot as well :/

But if need be, I'll wait till September 18.

The demo's alright. I have a feeling/pretty much know that the public demo's gonna be better than this and probably have more options to change, like camera position and stuff.

Just gotta wait two weeks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft has a deal where if you pre-order RE6 from the Microsoft Store you get a $10 gift card and 1600 MS points for free. I currently have it pre-ordered from Newegg for $45, but am considering switching to this deal... I would probably spend the 1600 points on Deadlight and get two zombie survival-horror experiences for the price of one. :)

Dartastic

Microsoft has a deal where if you pre-order RE6 from the Microsoft Store you get a $10 gift card and 1600 MS points for free. I currently have it pre-ordered from Newegg for $45, but am considering switching to this deal... I would probably spend the 1600 points on Deadlight and get two zombie survival-horror experiences for the price of one. :)
Whoa. Thanks. What's the $10 dollar gift card to? It seems like it's just towards the Microsoft Store...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't really understand how that "break free" meter thing works... I know you rotate the left stick, but can you kill it early when you get past the white line, or do you have to fill the meter all the way until the end?

Lucent

I don't really understand how that "break free" meter thing works... I know you rotate the left stick, but can you kill it early when you get past the white line, or do you have to fill the meter all the way until the end?

I always seem to just toggle it until it fills and the character breaks free him/herself. There are some that just have you press the button within a preset green area but other than that I don't know.

Jawmuncher

I can't wait for the game (Or even the strategy guide) to start getting into peoples hands.
Really want to know more about the Mercs mode.
I hope they follow Mercs Reunion lead and theres some playable charcaters from the franchise in there (Though the Demo Leaked Files didn't indicate any so it might be just the charcaters in the game with costumes like RE5 had originally)

blixa

Banned

the white line is only a timer. when it reaches the end before you fill the meter with green, it's too late.

Lucent

I can't wait for the game (Or even the strategy guide) to start getting into peoples hands.
Really want to know more about the Mercs mode.
I hope they follow Mercs Reunion lead and theres some playable charcaters from the franchise in there (Though the Demo Leaked Files didn't indicate any so it might be just the charcaters in the game with costumes like RE5 had originally)

Yeah I'm probably getting the guide with this when I pick it up. Hopefully it'll be like the RE5 guide where it had some inside stuff on the making of the game. Also for joining Unlocked at Best Buy I got a coupon for 50% a strategy guide as one of my welcome gifts, so that'll help.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I'm probably getting the guide with this when I pick it up. Hopefully it'll be like the RE5 guide where it had some inside stuff on the making of the game. Also for joining Unlocked at Best Buy I got a coupon for 50% a strategy guide as one of my welcome gifts, so that'll help.

Sadly I just noticed it's brady games doing the guide this time not piggyback.
Which sucks piggyback makes some damn fine guides.

(Have their Dark Souls, FF13-2, Deus Ex guides)

Lucent

Sadly I just noticed it's brady games doing the guide this time not piggyback.
Which sucks piggyback makes some damn fine guides.

(Have their Dark Souls, FF13-2, Deus Ex guides)

That's unfortunate. =l Piggyback really did to a good job with the RE5 guide. Brady games seems okay but it seems like it really depends on who writes it. I've just heard bad things about some guides where they leave out some important stuff or include false information. Hmmm...

Wasn't there a file for
Sheva
?

Evolved1

Just some random thoughts:

I can see why a lot of folks aren't liking the controls very much... you do have to fight them quite a bit... or you have to always know exactly what you want to do at all times, otherwise things can get willy-nilly real fast.

I think they could have addressed this by fixing the camera to the player's perspective, like in most TPS. I personally like having the camera control to move it around the character, but it causes problems. It causes pretty much all the problems.

A compromise would have been to add a sort of half step or two animation for changing the character direction, without immediately swinging their entire body around to face whatever direction you press (this is what causes jank in so many games). The first time I saw the hop-step transitional animation was in Uncharted, and in UC3 they put in a really good one where Drake takes a couple steps backwards before turning around. (There is still jank in UC but if you look at TLoU you see the logical progression, and benefit, of their system) and also have a real quickturn.

But that would be the ideal solution imo. Still, I think they could more easily address pretty much everyone's complaints by adding a camera option that binds it to the player's back. This was basically the RE5 camera... but now you have all the options of shoulder switching and move + shoot. I honestly don't think it would be too hard.

As for the camera positioning... I'm inclined to agree with EricB. I prefer the closer camera. Lots of people, especially PC gamers, seem to always want some camera that is super far back, and call for it in every game... I think it goes back to the days of playing isometric games (lol) and their ability to always mess with FOV. But I like a close camera and that's a debate that's been going on forever and won't end in the foreseeable future. One of those things people will just never agree on.

Overall I find the game has some heavy jank, especially in Chris's mission... but I also think it's something you can avoid by playing deliberately -- always knowing what you want to do -- it will really help to get the controls into muscle memory... then I think you can avoid a lot of the camera issues. I'm enjoying the little bit of story, and I like the characters. This is the first time in a main RE game that I don't think Leon is a huge dork haha. Chris'
amnesia
is a little cheesy/confusing but I still like the character. His partner is kind of whatever though, but his scene
in the bar was alright
. Jake, surprisingly, I like. He's entertaining.

Anyway... those are my thoughts on the demo. I'm still in all-full-ahead hype mode for October.

A little late on this, but I have to say that those rumors from Gamefaqs are exactly what I've come to expect from a resident evil game. Ultimately predictable.

Evolved1

No...no...how could you??

lol

I'm more of a fan of where the camera is than how it works. More I play, more I think they should bind it to the character's back. I think that would solve most of the issues. And I don't think it'd be exceptionally hard to do. If could be an option, like in RE5.

Funny that, the game runs smooth as can be for me. Looks and runs very clean.
Well I'm primarily a PC gamer so I guess I'm more sensitive to that stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible (like Dragon's Dogma and it's regular forays into the single digits) but for the most part im pretty sure the demo is hovering in the 20's (especially Leon's part - when you get to the dining room just pan the camera slowly and you can see the slow down).
As for resolution, im no pixel counter but it looks like it may be just under 720. Don't quote me on that, though.
fuck no. not... not even close.
[glad to not have that association.. would ruin the game completely]
It's just as over-the-top and action-packed as the movies now. RE5 was already delving into that territory but it looks like they went full retard with this one. I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if Alice was introduced into the game at this point - for once, she fits. Lol
Again, I do admit that I enjoy running around and kicking zombie ass in the most stylish and unbelievable way possible, but this isn't Resident Evil. Not by a longshot.
Leon's demo tries to call back to the originals but based on the small section in the demo, it seems to be suffering from CoD-itis and is instead a guided experience with jump scares and pitch black darkness.

Oh and lastly, I'm pretty sure this is the same demo the public is getting later. It's just labeled "Resident Evil 6 demo". When there's more than one demo of a game, it's usually labelled appropriately (like Dragon's Dogma's Adventure Demo or whatever). If there was another coming, I would think that this demo would have been called "RE6 E3 demo" or some shit.

Oh and lastly, I'm pretty sure this is the same demo the public is getting later. It's just labeled "Resident Evil 6 demo". When there's more than one demo of a game, it's usually labelled appropriately (like Dragon's Dogma's Adventure Demo or whatever). If there was another coming, I would think that this demo would have been called "RE6 E3 demo" or some shit.

Surprisingly enough, it's different:

Brelston from Capcom-Unity said:
We're happy to announce today a new Resident Evil 6 demo will be available to 360 and PS3 owners near the end of the month. This demo is available to everyone - not just Dragon's Dogma owners - and contains different content than the Dogma demo.

If you made it out to San Diego Comic-Con, GamesCom or PAX Prime, you'll find this new download fairly familiar, with a few further tweaks. Either way, it's another chance to sample the game's three primary campaigns (Leon, Chris and Jake) prior to the game's launch on October 2.

Don't forget RE6 also contains a fourth campain (Ada Wong), plus Mercenaries and Agent Hunt modes as well as RE.net support.

Some quick notes about the demo:

Leon and Helena
- picks up right where the previous demo left off, with our pair of heroes trying to escape a zombie-infested Ivy University. Free tip: stun enemies with shots to their head or limbs, then move in for a quick melee kill.

Chris and Piers
- Aggressive J'avo enemies clog the streets of Edonia, while our two BSAA agents try to keep the peace. The action is fast and hectic, but again pick your shots and mix up your attack. J'avo will mutate when damaged, so try to go for head shots lest they grow new body parts. As for the huge boss... that's up to you.

Jake and Sherry
- As they run through the infested Lanshiang streets, they come across mutating J'avo who become Chrysalids. If you seen an enemy freeze into a cocoon, it might be better to run than fight. Take note of Jake's melee skills too - he has lots of options so play around. Wesker's son knows how to fight!

News Bot

Banned
It's just as over-the-top and action-packed as the movies now. RE5 was already delving into that territory but it looks like they went full retard with this one. I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if Alice was introduced into the game at this point - for once, she fits. Lol

I don't think you've seen the movies.

News Bot

Banned
The games have minor over-the-top moments (laser corridors, boulder smash). The movies are just over-the-top for their entire running time. The games may involve a lot of shooting, but firing a gun isn't exactly stretching anything and it's not as though the series never involved a lot of it before. Now, firing a gun while flipping around like a beached fish? That's over-the-top.

Syriel

lol

I'm more of a fan of where the camera is than how it works. More I play, more I think they should bind it to the character's back. I think that would solve most of the issues. And I don't think it'd be exceptionally hard to do. If could be an option, like in RE5.

An ability to z-lock on an opponent would be godly.

If you're giving me TPS controls, where is my circle strafe?

Syriel

That would kill all tension in the game. This is not meant to play like a TPS, despite all the TPS trappings it comes with.

That is where I disagree.

Tension should be a result of setting, character and specific situation. A game should not have to rely on limited controls for that.

If I (as a supposed special agent) cannot look over my shoulder to keep an eye on an enemy (or even simply step backwards) while moving away to avoid fire, it doesn't build tension. It simply annoys. It also results in some wicked camera flips.

I'm not going to spoil specifics, but when you've got boss fights occurring in circular arenas, an inability to look at what you're trying to avoid is frustrating.

2scoops

it's only for those that doesn't jump into the game with the mindset of hating it.
just kidding. there was an account sharing going on, but it's stuck as some haven't de-activated the account from their part yet. check back later.

Is this still going on? I would really appreciate trying the demo if someone would be so kind as to fill me in please. Only if they so wish of course! There will be many thanks involved!!

Top Bottom