• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Maybe not comical, but it's definitely infused with a sense of levity and entertainment value, as is the rest of the series. And it was marketed as such from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XczHCushqOg

Yeah, I'm not convinced at all that an advertisement is relevant, especially with the way games were often marketed that way.

hope the final game has unlockables like infinite ammo and such.

Probably, but hopefully they add meaningful unlocks.

TyrantII

But my point is that RE never took itself seriously.

The classic trilliogy took itself pretty seriously. The REmake as well.

Code Veronica is probably where it started to look for sharks to jump. RE4 is where it just basically threw whatever they wanted at you.

I think what Neff was getting at is that it was very self-aware despite its serious/dark tone evidenced by its silly costumes and so forth. That inherent 'video games are fun' quality games had back then no matter what the tone.

The classic trilliogy took itself pretty seriously. The REmake as well.

Code Veronica is probably where it started to look for sharks to jump. RE4 is where it just basically threw whatever they wanted at you.

Agreed on CV. I loved the game but it started mixing in rather odd villains and super powers, along with flashy cut scenes with stunts. I'll always remember the MC running through helo gunfire and then dropping her gun to then catch it to fire at an explosive barrel. And the dude with the double pistols jumping around.

Before that, yeah I think RE0-3 were much different in terms of tone being more serious.

Alexious

So basically action fans need to go to Umbrella Corps (which doesn't even have a campaign) even though action was always a mainstay of Resident Evil from the very beginning. No, I'm not convinced that this should be called Resident Evil 7 for reasons other than exploiting the franchise.

It can be a masterpiece in its own right, of course. But it's just not Resident Evil, not even close.

So basically action fans need to go to Umbrella Corps (which doesn't even have a campaign) even though action was always a mainstay of Resident Evil from the very beginning. No, I'm not convinced that this should be called Resident Evil 7 for reasons other than exploiting the franchise.

It can be a masterpiece in its own right, of course. But it's just not Resident Evil, not even close.

Not to mention that Umbrella Corps looks like hot garbage and my personal interest in playing that one would be about a -5 on a scale from 1 to 10.

RedAssedApe

Banned

who said there was gonna be no action?

Neff

I think what Neff was getting at is that it was very self-aware despite its serious/dark tone evidenced by its silly costumes and so forth. That inherent 'video games are fun' quality games had back then no matter what the tone.

Pretty much.

I mean, RE was able to embrace horror and a light touch at the same time. The two weren't and never have been mutually exclusive. In fact, they often work very well together, but it's hard to pull off. RE does it brilliantly, while being very aware of and making no apology for the fact that it's an entertainment-driven video game.

I'm gradually warming to the idea of RE7 even if I have reservations, but it does seem to be focused on a very standardised idea of horror (right down to the creepy little girl singing) rather than the kind of wise-cracking, heroic action horror it's embraced in the past.

Nemic77

That's your opinion. I quit the Resident Evil franchise after 4 because it strayed too far from the formula I loved (1-3/Code Veronica). RE 4-6 just idn't feel like Resident Evil to me.

This at least has the intention to go back to the series roots. That's good enough for me.

RSB

Banned
Pretty much.

I mean, RE was able to embrace horror and a light touch at the same time. The two weren't and never have been mutually exclusive. In fact, they often work very well together, but it's hard to pull off. RE does it brilliantly, while being very aware of and making no apology for the fact that it's an entertainment-driven video game.

I'm gradually warming to the idea of RE7 even if I have reservations, but it does seem to be focused on a very standardised idea of horror (right down to the creepy little girl singing) rather than the kind of wise-cracking, heroic action horror it's embraced in the past.
Agreed.

The franchise already went through quite a transformation with RE4, so another transformation isn't that shocking. But yeah, both classic and action RE are actually pretty unique, both in tone and in gameplay. We don't know how the gameplay in RE7 will be yet (other than it being first person) but the tone of this demo, which apparently is representative of the final game, feels incredibly generic.

News Bot

Banned
Maybe not comical, but it's definitely infused with a sense of levity and entertainment value, as is the rest of the series. And it was marketed as such from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XczHCushqOg

That trailer went against the development team's wishes and didn't portray the game how they wanted. That song for instance was forced by CAPCOM management. Marketing is a different beast from the actual product. See any Tarantino movie.

Many examples of "levity" people bring up in relation to the series were never intended and are the result of botched work by unqualified or incompetent people. If the argument is that BIO7 will be a tonally deaf serious affair, then this is already false as I found quite a lot of levity in the Pete character. The unintentional cheese has NEVER been good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this going to be an episodic game? Has that been confirmed?
Game is not gonna be that long imo.

Imagine you only had the axe in the game and had to fight off a Web Spinner or a hunter.. Fuck that. I'd die in a heartbeat.
I don't think anything from the past game will feature either, dev said there will be small amount of enemies which will play a bigger roll, my guess is crazy people (ie a family)in the house you'll encounter and will have defeat eventually.
that's just based I what I can gather, might be wrong but it looks like it.

Btw, where is that place in the video footage? I know its a kitchen but its not the same one from the demo.

Darkangel

I can't help but smile at the action fans getting pissed off over the sudden "unnatural" genre shift.

Now you know how it feels lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't help but smile at the action fans getting pissed off over the sudden "unnatural" genre shift.

Now you know how it feels lol.
Yeah I just watch a dude rant while playing the demo, vid went on for hour 2 hours lol, nah I didn't watch all but he had a point about great series like Persona and Dragonquest has evolved in there own genre and Resident Evil has just jumped on the bandwagon of FPhorror.
I'm not too happy about it, it's like being a fan of Stargate SG-1 and I've just seen an episode on SG Universe and people are telling me it's evolution and the right direction when....well we know what happened there.

Btw, in the video playback, anyone else here talking upstairs next to the headphones with headphones on?

Neff

That trailer went against the development team's wishes and didn't portray the game how they wanted. That song for instance was forced by CAPCOM management. Marketing is a different beast from the actual product. See any Tarantino movie.

Many examples of "levity" people bring up in relation to the series were never intended and are the result of botched work by unqualified or incompetent people. If the argument is that BIO7 will be a tonally deaf serious affair, then this is already false as I found quite a lot of levity in the Pete character. The unintentional cheese has NEVER been good.

Well we've covered this before and I don't agree, but that's not what I'm getting at.

The way this demo and trailer are executed suggests to me that we're not going to get the defiant heroism of RE, the larger than life personas in spectacular situations. It looks like it's chasing a more modest and pure form of horror, of small characters in small locales, being perpetually under the thumb of terror rather than fighting back against it, because that's a form of horror everybody recognises, rather than the one exemplified by RE which nobody can fucking agree on. I can't imagine there's going to be a lot of being chased by boulders or triggering rooms of poisonous gas while dramatic music plays in the end product if Beginning Hour is anything to go by. Again, I'll point to the Silent Hill difference, because RE7 is clearly selling itself hard as a stand-in for that series' unfortunate departure.

But then of course, the tone of the demo and trailer could be completely misleading.

Shauni

What's the big deal? Never played Overwatch?

There are a lot of FP games that offer different skins as incentives.

That's a MP game, so others are seeing your skin. If this is single player only, which seems to be the case, who is going to see your costume? Just you looking in the mirror lol

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
front.png

AlexIIDX

I'm excited for a full game of this in first person. I liked the demo. But I hope the final verison looks a little better than the demo. The OP says they're going for a photo realistic style, but this looks no better than Outlast to me.

Wild Card

Persona? You mean that series that just kind of became a totally different series with the third game? There was no evolution there. Same deal with Devil Summoner.

I do believe what he's saying is that even though the series changed, it's direction was unique. RE7 feels to be treading familiar and well-worn ground.

Sesha

Man, the Aunt Rhodey song is like one of those Plagas. Can't get it out of my head...

Same. I've listened to it either on its own or through the trailer probably 20 times already. Though the last couple of days it's begun repeating on the parts I like the least, like the "hole, prisoner without parole, my soul" part, and the mouse voice at the end, so I had to stop listening to it. My brain has had it in for me lately.

ironcreed

Banned
I said screw it and re-subbed to PS+ so I can play this. I also want to dive back into ESO, so I just subbed for a year. At least there is that.

Just played the demo. Capcom has no clue what to do with this franchise. It's so damn sad to see them helplessly trying to create something "good". Instead of going back to classic survival horror they try to copy mediocre western indie games, lmao.

Edit: It's also the first example of VR destroying games and experiences. I really doubt RE7 would have been FP if VR didn't exist.
We might have another Kinect situation this gen.

liquidtmd

Banned
Just played the demo. Capcom has no clue what to do with this franchise. It's so damn sad to see them helplessly trying to create something "good". Instead of going back to classic survival horror they try to copy mediocre western indie games, lmao.

Ironic comment in that the original Resident Evil drew inspiration from Alone in The Dark, a title at the time I didn't actually find all that great and quite mediocre

kc44135

Edit: It's also the first example of VR destroying games and experiences. I really doubt RE7 would have been FP if VR didn't exist.
We might have another Kinect situation this gen.

Whoah now, I'm not 100% on board with RE7 either, but there a few things that need to be cleared up here. First off, the game wasn't designed with VR in mind. First Person was decided on early into development according to the Devs, and this is further evidenced by impressions of RE7 VR, which are stating it's allegedly very poor, and that it feels tacked on. Also, I too was concerned we were getting an Outlast Clone here, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as the Devs have stated the full game will have combat, puzzles, exploration, and other classic RE staples. It also won't have supernatural elements. All of that in and of itself is pretty different from the games you describe, and the demo is apparently not representative of the main game. In fact, it isn't even part of the main game at all.

Manu

"You know what would be a really new and exciting direction for the franchise? A game that's just like the five games they released between 1996 and 2002."

-A big deal of the RE fanbase, apparently

Kazuhira

I'm excited for a full game of this in first person. I liked the demo. But I hope the final verison looks a little better than the demo. The OP says they're going for a photo realistic style, but this looks no better than Outlast to me.

Yeah,I really like the atmosphere and all but the graphics aren't that great for a current-gen RE game.
Hopefully this is just an old build and the full game will look a lot better.

Top Bottom