• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

I just started and I have a question for people that have played the beginning Hour?

So I went straight to the
fireplace
and pulled the lever and went right in to the basement, did I miss anything by going straight there?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
When your inventory is full, you're in a new area and you hit a save room

12836758.jpg

Nope, performance wise this runs pretty good for me (we also have a PC performance thread btw). What's your vram useage and gpu? Sounds like the game is constantly loading stuff.

And why are you disappointed? I'm about an hour in and so far this is a great take on Texas chainsaw massacre. It's disturbing but also entertaining.

I reload it again and it seems to be working fine
all the way up till the garage sequence
until I hit the
unlock the door with the ox thing.

Regarding the game, I am genuinely surprised at how people are completely fine with the heavy scripted events. There are SO MANY moments where the control is taken away from you and Ethan walking at a snail's pace is simply not helping. So far nothing has been scary and all the "gory" scenes just seem to generate shock value that adds up to nothing. Hopefully it kicks it up a notch but so far I feel like there are very few options and the lack of open areas feel very one dimensional...

kinda surprising to me about the reactions on the first half of this game because I recall RE6 opening with Leon was scripted AF and that was what made RE6 terrible to me.... but this is just another level of taking control away from the player. Can't believe this is now what counts as scary/survival horror. The first hour was straight up sleep inducing.

On the bright side shooting mechanics are better than I imagined....

PC here. The game runs completely smooth on medium settings for me, and then either completely locks up, or chugs to a crawl during important scene transitions. Had the
guy busting out of the wall
moment completely ruined for me because of this. Anyone else had this issue?

Yea I got the same problem... I strongly recommend you quit out the game into desktop and reload it again. It will load up the entire level until it will chug again when you start the next section. Maybe the steam just needs to load up the game so I would recommend playing it later.

The start of this game!!! HOLY SHIT!!! This is brutal demented evil shit. I cannot even imagine what this is like in VR, must be the greatest VR game ever made and its not even close. The atmosphere is so foreboding, the sounds design so creepy. Just wow, its scary again.

Not sure I care for Jack hide and seek but I don't have a weapon yet so that should change soon. Will play more tomorrow.

I just started and I have a question for people that have played the beginning Hour?

So I went straight to the
fireplace
and pulled the lever and went right in to the basement, did I miss anything by going straight there?

No.
I checked the same areas in the demo and the
lock pick wasn't even available when viewing the tape.

Played through the first hour and seriously impressed. This game is setting a really cool tone so far - like people have said, kind of a hybrid of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. Very cool.

I was also pleasantly surprised that some of the events I've seen in pre-release / review footage, like
Baker busting through the wall and destroying the kitchen table while chasing you
didn't happen to me and apparently aren't 100% scripted like I thought they'd be.

Saven

Banned
Played for three hours. Just got done with
the chainsaw fight with Jack Baker and got the last dog head. Going to stop there for the night as I guess I'm about to leave the mansion.
I can easily say that this is the best Resident Evil game I've played since 2002.

Loving the Evil Dead references.

Feonix

Holy crap this game is amazing so far. Just
got out of the house for the first time
and made it to the next save point, gotta turn it off for the night. Cool to see that there are finally
uses for the coins here
! I'm really excited to play more tomorrow night. Starts off with a bang, then kind of holds your hand for a bit, but soon enough it's classic Resident Evil. Exploration, puzzles, enemies are tough as nails, ammo is just that perfect balance between scarce and plentiful, and the crafting system allowing you to go ham on healing or ammo but not both? SO much great design here. So much potential! And I feel like I've barely scratched the surface, only 3 hours in and already I am thinking this game is going to be an instant classic.

Edit: Oh, and the
creepy as fuck grandma who just follows you with her head and shows up from time to time despite NEVER MOVING
is going to give me more nightmares than anything else, jesuspissfuck =O

Foxxsoxx

So I'm about 3-4 hours in and once this game opens up it is scary as hell.

They fucking nailed the atmosphere, going into the
basement
area is was almost just too much for me but now I'm at
the old house
and I'm just going to call it a night.

Nope no more, my poor heart can't take it, even if I did finally get the shotgun.

I'm 3-4 hours deep. The beginning of the game was very impressive as far as setting a tone goes. But it also had me a bit worried about where the gameplay was going. After getting further in that's no longer the case, and I feel like they might have actually managed to transition classic Resident Evil gameplay into first person admirably. It's not an exact clone of the old gameplay of course, nor would I necessarily want it to be. But so far they've managed to do a pretty good job of getting the exploration and pacing elements to work well.

Initially combat felt very clunky to me, but that started to subside once I realized that I needed to make better use of the game's guard and quick turn features. Between blocking and quick turning and dashing away, you can avoid a lot of damage. And making use of weak points can be the difference between using 3-4 shots on an enemy, or 10. Combat definitely feels skill based. I'm really excited by what I've played so far, though I think I will give it a rest for tonight, but I'm looking forward to continuing tomorrow greatly.

Animator

So uh what the fuck am I supposed to do with Jack if I don't have enough ammo? He runs faster than the player character so I can't run away.

Played for 2 hours what an amazing opening. I got scared
at the jump scare were Jack comes crashing through the wall even though I was waiting for it to happen it was amazing.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Ah fuck I played through what I'm assuming now was the tutorial. Didn't realize I had another 10 gigs to download. Man, this game is going to be great. Loving the vibe. Shit is creepy as hell

AzureFlame

The start of this game!!! HOLY SHIT!!! This is brutal demented evil shit. I cannot even imagine what this is like in VR, must be the greatest VR game ever made and its not even close. The atmosphere is so foreboding, the sounds design so creepy. Just wow, its scary again.

Not sure I care for Jack hide and seek but I don't have a weapon yet so that should change soon. Will play more tomorrow.

When i tried the VR i said i can't go back, the VR experience is unbelievable with RE7, but unfortunately couldn't last more than 30 min.

Deadstar

Think this game might be a little too scary. I can't imagine ever being able to play it in VR. Capcom should require getting a physical before attempting it.

Played up until just after the 2nd tape. Wow, what a game. The atmosphere and sense of dread and fear is insane. I've never played a Resident Evil quite like this, I've been limited to RE4, Revelations, and 6.

The game makes you tense in all the right ways and I am just blown away by the thrill that this game has made me feel even within the first couple of hours.

Incredible.

Has anyone been able to stream this

A. While using HDR?

and or

B. Using PC

My buddy really wants to watch, and I cannot find a method that lets me stream it for some reason.

Ghazi

I could play the game via m/kb until I connected a controller, now when I try to play with a keyboard (even after disconnecting my controller), the game doesn't read any inputs from my keyboard. Good job Capcom, guess I'm waiting for a patch.

My buddy really wants to watch, and I cannot find a method that lets me stream it for some reason.

I don't think streaming with HDR would be a good idea, considering you need hardware that supports it, but I've been able to capture the game via OBS Game Capture. You could stream it with that.

Just played a few more hours. Is it just me or is this game really full on? I would consider myself a horror veteran and i feel the usual tension from atmosphere but this game is fucking my shit so far. In a fantastic way though.

gnexus

Wow. I wanna keep playing, but I have work in the morning. I'm also pretty scared. I nearly lost my shit when
Daddy sliced that poor Deputy's skull in half

Any idea if the game is playable on PS4 after the ''main'' part of download is complete or do I need to wait for the whole thing to finish?

Deadstar

Just played a few more hours. Is it just me or is this game really full on? I would consider myself a horror veteran and i feel the usual tension from atmosphere but this game is fucking my shit so far. In a fantastic way though.

This game is making me want to watch more horror movies. I get "The Hills Have Eyes" vibes from this.

Played 2 hours in VR. Really creepy stuff but I'm not a fan of how some animations play out in VR - they feel jarring at times.
So I switched to regular mode for a few and... nope, it's not the same. The VR does wonders for the atmosphere, despite the clear downgrade in visual fidelity. But again, I wish the animations were better in VR.

Teknoman

Of course Amazon is going to wait till the 30th to ship my copy because we have an Amazon dispatch nearby. I could just buy it digitally...and then return / cancel the physical...

ZangBa

I watched a stream for awhile, I guess the game just isn't for me :/. I like the family interaction, but the gameplay didn't interest me at all.

Guys I can't wait until tomorrow! Resident Evil is one of my all time favorites. No ribbon knife runs, every secret, every ending. I consumed that first game on PSX. I can't tell you how happy some of these impressions make me.

I have a PSVR and I'm going for it.

Itchy. Tasty.

This game is sitting on my PS4 hard drive ready to play as of 2 and a half hours ago, and I've anticipated it like no other game in recent memory.

But it's 3:37pm here (Western Australia), and it's my mum's 60th birthday today so going to go to my parent's place for a couple of hours and have dinner etc later, so it makes much more sense for me to wait till I get back and it's dark out to start the game, but fuck it's hard to resist... I know it'll be worth the wait though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is it me or this is hard as nails? I'm feeling so damn helpless. There's barely any ammo anywhere, so I've been spending my chem fluids on bullets, but now I'm out of ammo and need to go to the damn basement again. FML.

Top Bottom