• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Archives (Wii) - U.S. date and price

scitek

Anony said:
if i remember correctly, there is NO difference at all
there's no 16:9, no cc (just gc)

Ah, wonderful. In that case they should both look just as disgusting on HDTVs as their 480i 4:3 Gamecube parents.

EDIT: Grr...my animosity will be refrained if these do support 480p. They need it badly.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Why do they keep releasing these on Nintendo systems? I sold all my PSOne Resident Evils. I would like to have them again but not on the Wii. Wouldn't they make more money releasing a compilation on the PS3 or 360 or both?

Adent said:
Why do they keep releasing these on Nintendo systems? I sold all my PSOne Resident Evils. I would like to have them again but not on the Wii. Wouldn't they make more money releasing a compilation on the PS3 or 360 or both?

Except they would have to make new code for PS3/360 versions, which would require money.

By releasing it on the Wii they can just port it from the GC to the Wii with little fuss, and no upgrades required.

So more profit with Wii.

pvpness

Adent said:
stop whining and get a Wii, its only 250$

xfactor

Banned
Adent said:

Stop being so greedy. PS3 and 360 already have RE5, that's enough.

markatisu

RE is worth $30 and RE0 is worth $0 so that works out as a great deal for those who never got a chance to play them.

If they are not going to remake the other games I would not mind a pack of RE2,RE3,RE:CV (with the PS2 extras) in one $29.99 since they shit on GC owners last gen by trying to charge $$$ for each one

KevinCow

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
The pre-RE4 games don't have behind-the-gun targeting, it's hard to imagine much benefit from changing the controls to use waggle.
Sure, but how about using the pointer to manage your inventory? Using it to guide your partner in 0?

Or hell, how about they go balls out and just remake the games with RE4's viewpoint and controls so they're not frustrating to play? I can't imagine it would be all that much work. Use RE4's engine, scale the assets from RE0 and REmake (which we know they still have around, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Umbrella Chronicles) so that they can be rendered in real time, and... well, that's it, really. And as a bonus to making the games actually enjoyable to play, rendering the environments in real time would allow the game to also be played with the traditional camera angles in widescreen, for the crazy people who prefer that sort of thing.

But I guess that's all beside the point. These games, like The Umbrella Chronicles, are just things that could be developed quickly and cheaply and thrown out there to try to cash in on the surprise success of RE4 on the system. And this leads back to the reason I brought it up in the first place - While MM9, RE5, and SF4 are fantastic games that make me love Capcom, these rereleases are the opposite end of the spectrum: cheap, lazy bullshit that's just thrown out there to try to make a quick buck, and it makes me lose some respect for the company.

Fady K

Man, the REmake is not only the scariest gaming experience I went through, but one of the best games I have ever played. As much as I loved RE4, the REmake is the perfect direction for the franchise for me. I really wish there was *SOMETHING* added to the Wii version besides it being shipped on one disc! God how I miss the REmake :(

master15

KevinCow said:
Or hell, how about they go balls out and just remake the games with RE4's viewpoint and controls so they're not frustrating to play?

Kindly go to hell. As much as I totally love Resident Evil 4, it doesn't quite match up to the brilliance of remake and old-school survival horror. While it's a formula Capcom seemingly intend to drop with the franchise after success with RE4 & 5, I would very much doubt first Resident Evil would benefit at all with switched perspectives.

RE 2 which much has much more action would be better suited, but how I would kill for a traditional remake ala rebirth.

Meesh

Adent said:

Future downloads for PSN store? They already got FF7, I don't think it's out of the question...you could bite the bullet and get a Wii. RE4 Wii edition imo has the greatest control method to date, many will disagree with me there, but the point and shoot method really makes the game less daunting to play when you're already scared shitless.

fernoca

KevinCow said:
Sure, but how about using the pointer to manage your inventory? Using it to guide your partner in 0?

Or hell, how about they go balls out and just remake the games with RE4's viewpoint and controls so they're not frustrating to play? I can't imagine it would be all that much work. Use RE4's engine, scale the assets from RE0 and REmake (which we know they still have around, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Umbrella Chronicles) so that they can be rendered in real time, and... well, that's it, really. And as a bonus to making the games actually enjoyable to play, rendering the environments in real time would allow the game to also be played with the traditional camera angles in widescreen, for the crazy people who prefer that sort of thing.
Scale the assets? ..come on.. if making games was that easy.. :p

Is like the people that believe that adding online multiplayer to a game is just an option under the File menu...or that to port a game you go to File, Port To.., and choose the name of the console and presto.. :p

Anyway, nice bundle/price..I wouldn't mind paying $50 if they threw the other 3 ports on it (2, 3 and Veronica)...

pakkit

Banned
I can't wait for the next generation of Nintendo consoles where Capcom rereleases UC and DSC. This is what next gen is all about, baby!

CiSTM

Banned
meh, Still have my GC orginal/remake so I'm probably going to pass. Or is there a reason why I should get this pack ?

cvxfreak

CiSTM said:
meh, Still have my GC orginal/remake so I'm probably going to pass. Or is there a reason why I should get this pack ?

Don't feel like switching discs or using GC accessories with the Wii? This set's for you.

In case anyone's wondering, the Wiimote + Nunchuck work just as well as the GC controller in terms of controlling the game (in the tank control framework of course). It's also the only way to control the game wireless while still retaining rumble.

Fady K said:
Man, the REmake is not only the scariest gaming experience I went through, but one of the best games I have ever played. As much as I loved RE4, the REmake is the perfect direction for the franchise for me. I really wish there was *SOMETHING* added to the Wii version besides it being shipped on one disc! God how I miss the REmake :(
I replayed it again somewhat recently. It's a bit too familiar at this point to shock me like it did when it was released (I've replayed it countless times), but REmake is the kind of game that you rarely ever see: a remake that benefits in all the right ways from the update. It completely replaces the original PS1 game for me.

The writing wasn't nearly as cheese-free as I had remembered, but I was comparing it to the original then, which was actually printed on a disc made of super-dense cheese. True story.

cvxfreak

Sadist said:
That's not a bad idea to be honest. All the people who missed the games last gen can jump in.

It also wasn't developed by anyone who could have spent their valuable time developing a new RE for Wii or any other system. At worst this is something you can just simply ignore.

Fady K

Night_Trekker said:
I replayed it again somewhat recently. It's a bit too familiar at this point to shock me like it did when it was released (I've replayed it countless times), but REmake is the kind of game that you rarely ever see: a remake that benefits in all the right ways from the update. It completely replaces the original PS1 game for me.

The writing wasn't nearly as cheese-free as I had remembered, but I was comparing it to the original then, which was actually printed on a disc made of super-dense cheese. True story.

I agree with the shock factor not being the same, thats for sure, especially after the first two times. It was the same to me - a complete replacement over the original Resident Evil (and Director's Cut for that matter). Such an awesome remake <3. I love how it adds a lot of new stuff added - the Crimson Heads made for the scariest enemies i have possibly faced in a game, Lisa Trevor alone was such an awesome edition with a looot of interesting stuff added to the plot. Writing was much better indeed.

Zenith

Banned
Easy_D said:
So, how was REmake ported to Wii? Can you use the CC? I'm interested in REmake but never got to play it :(

If it's $29.99 CAD as well I'll buy it. Still haven't played them =o

For people that never played the originals (on any system) that's a pretty good deal.

Why don't you buy the GC versions super-cheap and play them on your Wii. They are not hard to find.

People like this is why we get crappy ports.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Saint Gregory said:
Damn Chris, look at your scrawny arms! You really should think about working out a little. And hey, there's this guy I know that can hook you up with some stuff to make that workout really easy...
Well actually, even in the original Chris looked like he was on steriods, it's just Capcom made him a pussy in REmake
look, by the expression on his face I think he just took a dose :lol
resident_evil1.jpg

cvxfreak

Zenith said:
Why don't you buy the GC versions super-cheap and play them on your Wii. They are not hard to find.

So RE4 Wii was for people that played the game already?

BTW, it's actually quite hard to find the GC versions of the games in sum for less than $30 including shipping and not including the millions of people who never owned GCs, and therefore GC accessories in the first place.

cvxfreak

Zenith said:
smh. Except RE4 Wii came with the PS2 addons and enhanced controls.

Not really comparable...

But you just implied that Capcom likes to take advantage of people who may not have played RE0/REmake and thus return the favor with "crappy" ports.

So the opposite should be that great ports reward gamers who played previous versions. Right?

In all seriousness, just look at the title of the game. "Resident Evil: Archives" implies low-priced collection. I can understand the outrage for the Japanese releases to an extent, but getting mad at Capcom for releasing a compilation package at a fantastic price is just misguided rage.

Rolf NB

Seems fairly priced to me.

edit: a compilation of two games for a budget price is actually the model I expected/wanted for the Pikmin and Metroid Prime rereleases.

Rereading the OP again though, I wouldn't be so sure yet that it'll actually happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
REmake is easily the scariest game I've ever played.

Yes, I've played all the Silent Hills, the first three Fatal Frames, Clock Tower on the SNES, and more PC horror games than I can count.

I never found RE1 that bad, in fact I found RE2 a lot scarier.

So when REmake came around I thought I could handle it. But the combination of the realistic graphics, those mother fucking crimson heads (The first time one burst through a door and ripped my head off was easily the scariest moment I've ever faced in my entire gameplaying career, Doors are supposed to be sacred in RE!) and the last and possibly most frightening thing about the game. It fucks with you if you've played RE a lot. The changes. Oh lol, dogs are going to pop out here. Walk by...no dogs? Ten seconds later, bam.

Then the game has the balls to throw in that grenade carrying asshole to chase you around. Then an invisible zombie mode. Then real survivor!!! Backtracking is terrifying!

REmake is worth $50 on its own. Zero is worth about ten, but even then you're getting them for half price on day one!

Zenith

Banned
cvxfreak said:
But you just implied that Capcom likes to take advantage of people who may not have played RE0/REmake and thus return the favor with "crappy" ports.

So the opposite should be that great ports reward gamers who played previous versions. Right?

No. Don't know what you're trying to get at but you're kind of reaching to come up with an argument at all.

cvxfreak

Zenith said:
No. Don't know what you're trying to get at but you're kind of reaching to come up with an argument at all.

I wasn't being serious at all, that's why.

I'm curious. Do you jump on people's throats for buying Zelda games on the VC?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
master15 said:
One of my favourite games of last generation and still bloody gorgeous

Yet you post some small shitty jpegs to try to get this message across. :p

Here's some proper screens from the glory that is the REmake:

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Easily one of the best looking games I've ever played, and the posterchild for pre-rendered backdrops in games. The atmosphere is simply incredible.

cvxfreak

I've played the Wii versions of Zero and REmake on HDTVs in widescreen, but I think the Zero port is better overall.

It seems that REmake suffers from horrendous dithering. It also has black bars on the side, while Zero stretches and looks fine on an HDTV. Zero seems to have a better image quality overall, too.

I don't play the GC versions anymore so I can't go back and compare the two, but I think the Zero port is better than the REmake one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haunted said:
link?

One more edition for cvxfreak to buy.

You know, when I met CVX in real life for dinner a year or so ago, I was pretty surprised. He doesn't seem like the complete OCD/RE freak I thought he would be. He's a totally cool dude who happens to have a totally unhealthy addiction to paying too much for RE collectibles. :lol

That said, I have unhealthy addiction to collecting as well, so perhaps we are more alike than I initially thought. :|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cvxfreak said:
I've played the Wii versions of Zero and REmake on HDTVs in widescreen, but I think the Zero port is better overall.

It seems that REmake suffers from horrendous dithering. It also has black bars on the side, while Zero stretches and looks fine on an HDTV. Zero seems to have a better image quality overall, too.

I don't play the GC versions anymore so I can't go back and compare the two, but I think the Zero port is better than the REmake one.

I'm surprised. The GC RE Zero had dithering issues I never noticed in REmake. What's the deal with that? Higher sampling rate?

Zenith

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I wasn't being serious at all, that's why.

I'm curious. Do you jump on people's throats for buying Zelda games on the VC?

If the original Zelda carts were already playable on Wii and I actually went into Zelda threads then yes I would.

Again, not really comparable.

Chao

Saint Gregory said:
Damn Chris, look at your scrawny arms! You really should think about working out a little. And hey, there's this guy I know that can hook you up with some stuff to make that workout really easy...
:lol :lol

He really looks fucking weak there after RE5

Taurus

TGO said:
Well actually, even in the original Chris looked like he was on steriods, it's just Capcom made him a pussy in REmake
resident_evil1.jpg
Where can I find the gun in game which he is holding in the cover art?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zenith said:

I love how you assume that no one's actually been trying to find the game :lol
Believe me, I've looked everywhere, only hope there is is to maybe find it used somewhere, but on the internet, it is not.

Zohdom

Neo Member
TGO said:
Well actually, even in the original Chris looked like Bruce Campbell, it's just Capcom made him a pussy in REmake
resident_evil1.jpg

Fixed

1014-1.jpg

apujanata

Easy_D said:
I love how you assume that no one's actually been trying to find the game :lol
Believe me, I've looked everywhere, only hope there is is to maybe find it used somewhere, but on the internet, it is not.

My friend did have RE0 and RE-make for GC, but I didn't play them, since I didn't enjoy RE0. I might play this on Wii, especially since they have this Option C for control that will help people (like me) who didn't like/not used to the "tank control"

Wow Zero looks pretty good. Might pick this up since I've never touched it.

Zenith said:

Not everyone has the time to waste hours searching for years old games.

cvxfreak

Zenith said:
If the original Zelda carts were already playable on Wii and I actually went into Zelda threads then yes I would.

Again, not really comparable.

Zelda Collector's Edition, Ocarina of Time Master Quiz GC discs, Animal Crossing hacks

Those were FREE!

Anyway, lame troll is a lame troll.

thetrin said:
I'm surprised. The GC RE Zero had dithering issues I never noticed in REmake. What's the deal with that? Higher sampling rate?

Zero had a special filter applied to it that made it look different than the REmake. Zero also had infinitely better audio, I'd say. Maybe you aren't a fan of the filter in Zero? Either way, it was bizarre playing REmake on Wii in 4:3 after playing Zero in widescreen/stretch mode.

Top Bottom