• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Brhoom

Banned
First hour with REmake and I can already tell that this is going to be a Top 5 game of all time. The atmosphere, the unique camera angles, the minimalist soundtrack, the sound mixing, the tension that each and every zombie gives you, the tank controls which actually enhance the experience, the inventory management which is seeing me making a mental note of where things are in the mansion so I can pick them up later, the puzzles which are making backtracking actually fun, the lack of a waypoint which makes it so you have to find your own way around, I can go on. Absolutely fucking amazing.

It's actually really amazing to think that Shinji Mikami established the formula so well with RE 1 which established how survival horror would work for the next ten years, perfected it with REmake, and then defined how action games would work for the next ten years with RE 4.

That would be Alone In The Dark 1992.

First hour with REmake and I can already tell that this is going to be a Top 5 game of all time. The atmosphere, the unique camera angles, the minimalist soundtrack, the sound mixing, the tension that each and every zombie gives you, the tank controls which actually enhance the experience, the inventory management which is seeing me making a mental note of where things are in the mansion so I can pick them up later, the puzzles which are making backtracking actually fun, the lack of a waypoint which makes it so you have to find your own way around, I can go on. Absolutely fucking amazing.

It's actually really amazing to think that Shinji Mikami established the formula so well with RE 1 which established how survival horror would work for the next ten years, perfected it with REmake, and then defined how action games would work for the next ten years with RE 4.

I wish they cut out the Lisa Trevor parts. That would make the pacing much better for me. I enjoy the game and am working towards platinum.

That would be Alone In The Dark 1992.

Just looked it up and you're correct. Still an amazing game and Mikami is still an awesome director. Might check out Alone in the Dark sometime too!

I actually want REmake 2 in this style, now. Fuck, I'm actually looking forward to seeing if RE 7 can emulate this experience in First Person now! MORE RESIDENT EVIL! ACTION! SURVIVAL HORROR! FPS! TPS! ALL THE RESIDENT EVIL!

Do you not like the character or just the gameplay implementation of her?

I think her character is sad and tragic, I don't really enjoy the underground area and the backtracking. I feel like the game is fine without her areas and would be more fun for replays. It's the RE4 island for me where everything else is nice, creepy and flows well then comes in the island.

Granted I just beat it a few times in a short span of time, so RE fatigue may be affecting my feelings.

Jawmuncher

I personally still prefer the original RE because the pacing is better. REmake is good, but there's more than a few roadblocks I disagree with in it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The should update RE7 demo with VR controls so I can start the vomit comet acclimation process... have a feeling that's gonna take some time.

I'm just starting my first play through of Resident Evil 6, i recall people saying sometime ago that the game explains a lot of its mechanics quite poorly. Is there anything important i need to know going in?

I've replayed REmake (just Jills campaign so far) and Resident Evil 4 and finished my first play through of RE5 and Code Veronica over the last few months, its been a lot of fun. 4 and REmake held up incredible well and i did find a lot of enjoyment out of 5, but its easily my least favourite in the franchise, we'll see if 6 can take that crown. Code Veronica was OK, i enjoyed the minor evolution on the old style, i do wish they went with the Nazi ties to the Ashcroft family that the early concept art implied. Perhaps that would have added something to the overall story that wasn't needed though, i just think it would have made CV more interesting.

I've still never played Nemesis, which i plan to rectify soon too.

I'm just starting my first play through of Resident Evil 6, i recall people saying sometime ago that the game explains a lot of its mechanics quite poorly. Is there anything important i need to know going in?

While aiming play around with the X button and your left stick for the various dodge rolls. (If you're not playing on PS4 substitute X with whatever button the run button is.)

Also, if you press the aim button while running you do a slide. Good to get past enemies and if you have remote bombs equipped you drop them automatically while sliding.

Just experiment a bit, but keep in mind that during the first few combat sections in Leon's campaign, until you get outside, the game restricts your controls. You can shoot, you can use melee, but you cannot run, slide or roll. Pretty dumb tbh.

The game tells you during the prologue how to do a quickshot (Aim + Shoot button simultaniously.) but not really what it's useful for, because it certainly doesn't do a lot of damage. Basically, with a quickshot there's a very high probability to stun regular enemies so that you can use a context melee attack.

Two things to keep in mind though...quickshots use stamina.

And they also only cause a light stun, letting you use a context melee attack that's useful for crowd control but not for dealing massive damage. To set them up for a much stronger context melee attack, simply slide into them once you caused them to get into a light stun. Shooting in the arm and legs can also cause a light stun but it's not too reliable.

The elbow attack will instantly cause an enemy to go into a heavy stun. (When close, turn your back to the enemy and press the attack button.)

Learn your counter attacks. Simply press the attack button right before an enemy hits you. The timing varies in difficulty depending on the enemy but you can counter almost any attack even from the biggest bosses.

When the game asks you to twirl your stick to perform an action, use both, goes a lot faster that way. Also, buy the Breakout skill as soon as possible. The description just says it makes it easier to escape after an enemy grabbed you, but it actually makes ALL button mash and stick waggle QTE's much easier.

And if you're not playing either the PS4 or XBOne version keep in mind to crank both FOV settings all the way up, the original close-up camera is pretty bad. In the Remasters it's set to the highest value by default.

Edit: Well, there's Neteio's guide too.

Neiteio

I'd read Neiteio's guide
I rewrote some of the key points in my guide a bit more elegantly:

Key thing to remember with RE6: Everything flows from L2 and X.

If you use L2 by itself, you aim. If you tap X while aiming, you duck in place. If you tap X plus a direction while aiming, you'll roll or dive in that direction. But what if you hold X to run before tapping L2? Then you'll slide in that direction instead. And if you let go of L2 before completing your roll, dive or slide, you'll pop back to your feet. But if you keep holding it you'll stay on the ground — and at that point you can roll left or right by double-tapping in that direction, or scoot forward and backwards.

You can even slap a remote mine on the ground as you slide past an enemy, pull back on the stick to spin 180 degrees mid-slide, and then detonate the bomb while still lying on the ground for a glorious full-frontal view of the gibs raining down. :)

Tapping R2 while aiming will shoot. Tapping R2 without aiming will kick and punch, as many times as your stamina gauge will permit. You can of course still stun enemies in their face and limbs for context-sensitive melee moves. You can even run and tap R2 for a high-flying jump kick or shoulder check.

And if you need to shoot something quickly, tap L2 and R2 at the same time to automatically target an enemy and shoot, using up a bit of stamina. And if you want to mix and load your herbs without opening your inventory, simply hold R1 and tap Square. Then you can manage your health one bar at a time by tapping R1 to consume pills, Tic Tac-style.

Remember you can automatically vault over ledges and short walls by simply running at them with X. You can also slide across car hoods and crates this way. Your character has tight turning when running, so learn when to ease off the accelerator to take sharp corners. You can still quick turn by pushing back and tapping X.

It feels so good when it all comes together. RE6 Mercs No Mercy is incredibly addictive.

Also, melee. MELEE, MELEE, MELEE. Head shots are the quickest path to the best melee moves. Dive, roll, counter, melee, quick shot... Just keep moving. RE 6 is not the typical TPS. Don't hide behind cover unless you are recovering stamina (crouch or get on the ground to recover much faster). Purchase the skill that extends your combat gauge. The devs placed a huge emphasis on close quarters combat.

If you aren't enjoying one campaign, try another. There are four.

Finally, do not expect a grounded story. The game starts off already five shots of jack in and proceeds to chug the rest of the bottle as the game goes on. Embrace the stupidity if you can.

BTails

All this talk of RE6 is making me salivate. I mean, I've played it before (When it first launched on PC), but I can't wait to dive in again on PS4.

That being said, I just started RE4 on my 20th Anniversary playthrough. Still have it, 5, and Revelations to go before I get back to 6 again.

Finally, do not expect a grounded story. The game starts off already five shots of jack in and proceeds to chug the rest of the bottle as the game goes on. Embrace the stupidity if you can.

I don't think they've ever really had that grounded of a story, haha. I know this one takes thing to another level too, so thankfully i'm expecting that. I'm just in the Cathedral in Leon's campaign so far and having a lot of fun. I think you all saved me a bit of frustration with the excellent tips. Leon feels like he lost a lot of his personality from 4 so far though, bit of a shame.

I know shes not a playable character, but does Sheva show up at all? Despite her only having the one game, they gave her a great deal of backstory in 5 with the records and i think shes become my favourite Resident Evil character.

Neiteio

I don't think they've ever really had that grounded of a story, haha. I know this one takes thing to another level too, so thankfully i'm expecting that. I'm just in the Cathedral in Leon's campaign so far and having a lot of fun. I think you all saved me a bit of frustration with the excellent tips. Leon feels like he lost a lot of his personality from 4 so far though, bit of a shame.

I know shes not a playable character, but does Sheva show up at all? Despite her only having the one game, they gave her a great deal of backstory in 5 with the records and i think shes become my favourite Resident Evil character.
Sheva only appears in RE5.

Oh, and try this with Leon: Aim with the pistol, and then tap Triangle while aiming. You'll switch from one pistol to two pistols!

Then try tapping L2 and R2 at the same time when surrounded by enemies. Keep tapping them while you have your two pistols out!

Glad you're liking it!

Lol, true. Though RE 4 had much more zany charisma and Revelations 2 is basically "Master of Cheese" at this point, which helps them. I find that RE 6 is far too dour for the execution of it's story despite still being good fun due to the scenarios you find the characters in.

Unfortunately, they haven't done anything with Sheva or Josh since RE 5 beyond story references.

Javin98

Banned
Been replaying the original Resident Evil on DS and it's so much less challenging than the REmake. Zombies go down in four shots, not having to worry about Crimson Heads, more doors are open from the start and ink ribbons are a lot more abundant. Now, the increased difficulty in REmake is not necessarily a good or bad thing, it just changes the gameplay significantly. Also, the latter of which I feel I saved too much on my first playthrough of REmake, haha. It's pretty amazing how much more content REmake added, regardless. I was surprised to find that some areas are completely missing in the original.

Zombies go down in four shots

Keep in mind that Jill in the original RE is literally Easy Mode. She has a lot less enemies to deal with than Chris has (Basically she only has about 2/3 of the enemies Chris needs to deal with.) and it's not like the Remake were Chris has the perk of being better with guns. No, in the original RE, enemies in Jill's campaign go down a lot faster than they do in Chris' game, where it usually takes about 6-7 handgun bullets to kill a zombie.

It's still a bit easier than the REmake overall, but then there's the Director's Cut with the pretty neat Arranged Mode. That mode is more challenging than the REmake and I've said it before, but it's my favorite rendition of RE1. Better than the REmake, and deep in your heart you know it's true, even if you've never touched that mode.

The newly arranged mode in the DS port however isn't all that great.

I really enjoyed the DS port. If memory serves me right it has 2 unique costumes and the arranged mode is different than the DC one. Just being able to skip door animations made running through it a lot of fun.

I was never able to try out its multiplayer modes though, sadly.

I finally finished REmake HD for the first time a few days ago. (Previously beat the original on GameCube). I enjoyed it even more than the original REmake. It's aged so well. I was surprised by how well the backgrounds had aged in particular. Even though they were just upscaled instead of re-rendered like in RE0 they still looked convincing most of the time. The nicer lighting on character models really helps a lot in blending the characters into the scenery. Only a few specific rooms/areas looked really bad.

AdaWong

All this Ada talk and I wasn't notified about it?!

Okay, I will try to address as many points as possible:

- Ada's cartwheels in The Mercenaries have invincibility frames! Abuse them. (The sideways cartwheel is much easier to master than the backwards one)

- "Ada Wong" isn't even her real name, so when you say "omg shes so dumb y is she using her name???" it's because it actually isn't.

- I completely disagree on Ada being an "overrated" or "one dimensional" character:

Ada failed MISERABLY in RE2... not in her mission, because she did manage to obtain the G-Virus, but she failed in the sense that her pride/ego got tarnished;, she let her emotions get in the way when her job requires her to be able to betray and turn against anyone anywhere, yet she failed to do so in RE2, as a result she felt like a failure. It is unlike her to have a conscious, but she developed one throughout RE2 upon seeing how Leon is selfless and is willing to put himself in danger to save others. Immediately affecting her, she risked her life to save Leon and went out of her way to help Leon and Claire kill Mr. X for good.

Her epilogue in RE3 is her reflecting on her birth of conscious. She does not know how to react to it, she felt uncomfortable feeling emotions for the first time and decided to just "nope" and leave "Ada Wong" behind. But little did she know, she was already a changed person. She, whether she wanted to or not, started to care about people. But she's always been "cold" and "distant", so her actually caring about people is something... she is not comfortable showing, as it is uncharacteristic of her. And the bitch has an ego bigger than William's eyeball, so it hurts even more.

She changed and you can see that change in RE6 VERY well. She went out of her way to help the civilians in China, she admitted that she'd have had helped Carla had she approached her and asked for her help to get revenge on Simmons, she helped Jake and saved Sherry's life, etc. But notice how she does these "good acts" anonymously? Because she is still not comfortable by looking like a "good guy", she does not want to admit that she is a good person after all. Even when Carla was going around desroying the world as "Ada", Ada never bothered to come out and be like "guys im good i swear this is a doppleganger", in fact, even when Carla died, she destroyed ALL evidence of Carla stealing Ada's identity. Everyone thinks Carla, the woman who almost destroyed the world, was Ada. And Ada is very okay with that, because it adds to Ada's reputation of being this insensitive, cold-hearted and extremely uncaring person.

I think she has a lot layers. Yes, Capcom may have Mary Sue-d her a bit too much in RE4/UC/Damnation/RE6, but she's not just another Catwoman type of character, I think the character of Ada Wong is the most interesting "main" female character of Resident Evil; Jill, while a badass, is still the most basic character when it comes to personalities in RE. Claire is relatable and is purely amazing until Rev 2 happened where she had a very strange change of character, I still love her, though.

Javin98

Banned
Think I'm going to boot up my PS3 version of Resident Evil 5.
Man, this reminds me, I really want to finish Resident Evil 5 before Resident Evil 7 launches. I played part way on PC several years ago, stopped and never went back. I don't think I can find the disc again and I don't want to buy it now since my holiday lineup is already stacked. :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My first impression of RE7 was hugely negative. That's still there but also I feel a curiosity creeping in. The VR stuff, probably driving most of it. Idk.

I already miss action-brawler RE. I think what I really want is RE6 Raid (Rev1 model) and I'm believing that's never going to happen.

Mr_Zombie

- "Ada Wong" isn't even her real name, so when you say "omg shes so dumb y is she using her name???" it's because it actually isn't.

The point is, she's still using that one name, even if it's just her stage name, even when she's supposed to be undercover. That way Annette managed to do a background research on her (she's supposedly just a "John's girlfriend" that wants to learn what happened to her love one; Annette had to find something on Ada to jump to the conclusion that she's a spy sent in to steal the G-virus), and Svetlana could easily find out that BSAA hires no one by the name of "Ada Wong". I mean, if you go on a spy mission and try to act as a BSAA official representative, at least use a name that's actually on BSAA's payroll.

My first impression of RE7 was hugely negative. That's still there but also I feel a curiosity creeping in. The VR stuff, probably driving most of it. Idk.

I already miss action-brawler RE. I think what I really want is RE6 Raid (Rev1 model) and I'm believing that's never going to happen.

Maybe not raid mode, but Capcom will return to the action oriented RE games even if it's not a mainline entry. You can't have Leon, Chris, Jill, Ada, Jake, Sherry, Sheva, or Helena go back to how things were in the older RE games after the stuff they've done/been through. Capcom knows we still need a superhero RE game even if the primary focus now is survival horror. You can't have the series go in a crazy over the top direction and then say "these characters can't suplex zombies anymore."

Brhoom

Banned
I've played RE3 more than I can count, but whenever I stop for a while and play again Nemesis destroys my ass. I love how Capcom made him really hard to beat, I hope RE7 villan is the same.

Gradon

I tried out the new Resident Evil 7 at The Future of Play tour today and I am in love. The demo was great. It was the Lantern demo but it played out a little differently.

The guy informed me that you're playing as a little girl in the demo, the one on the cover. I don't know if we knew this info or not but that's what he told me *shrug*

It was pretty scary and there was a puzzle in the middle too. The puzzle wasn't too hard and a bit basic but this gives me good impressions for there being more puzzles.

Overall very impressed.

Jawmuncher

I tried out the new Resident Evil 7 at The Future of Play tour today and I am in love. The demo was great. It was the Lantern demo but it played out a little differently.

The guy informed me that you're playing as a little girl in the demo, the one on the cover. I don't know if we knew this info or not but that's what he told me *shrug*

It was pretty scary and there was a puzzle in the middle too. The puzzle wasn't too hard and a bit basic but this gives me good impressions for there being more puzzles.

Overall very impressed.

Yeah I think the guy is wrong, unless you really were playing a slightly different demo.
This is who is in the demo, since this is Mia's Wife/Ex-Wife
41ibo-mucyao-s8y3yqt9pvy7j.jpg

Gradon

Yeah I think the guy is wrong, unless you really were playing a slightly different demo.
This is who is in the demo, since this is Mia's Wife/Ex-Wife

I wouldn't be too surprised since they weren't Capcom staff. She didn't sound like a little girl either.

It was definitely the demo that the Lantern gameplay trailer was based on because you were avoiding the old woman.

Jawmuncher

So we finally have some Yuri in this series. Oh my indeed.

I fucked up lol.
But now that you mention it. It's rather odd that there isn't an actual gay character in the series at least not that I know of. Since Chris is purposefully kept silent on the matter.

There was the bit about Operations Raccoon City. But since there was no actual character development on any Orc characters it all falls kind of flat.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5612910/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-gay-soldier

Sort of hoping with the slight ramp up in the Ambassador sneak peek content and with it being Halloween that we'll get a tease of a non-Baker enemy tomorrow. Nothe an outright reveal, but just enough to solidify that aspect being in the game.

Meanwhile, I'm loving my time with RE5. Some of the best written documents in the series, gorgeous, and the Reapers are easily in the top 5 enemies of the series.

Still hate Jill's look and superhuman abilities

Top Bottom