• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Manu

Is Marhawa Desire any good? It's getting a local edition over here but since manga is quite expensive I'd like to know if it's worth it before I buy it.

Still haven't seen any translations on the Famitsu article, but it does show a shot of the uncensored dinner scene with the full amputation.

A lot of it looks to cover the video series otherwise.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Still haven't seen any translations on the Famitsu article, but it does show a shot of the uncensored dinner scene with the full amputation.

A lot of it looks to cover the video series otherwise.

I could ask someone I know to translate it and see if they're interested (since I had to do that for the last article), but don't want to bug them if there's not too much new info or something.

Outside of the other new screenshots, the only other new scene is the dinner scene. I'm guessing the one where he breaks his arm is the 'censored' Japanese vesrsion (and I assume other content-sensitive areas), but it seems in the uncensored version Jack just rips Lucas' arm off:

61b241c7e0aadefcb4b06f7a14ae7159.png

edit: Someone on Reddit also linked to an ebay page selling a rare RE pre-release postcard which had a piece of art and tagline I hadn't seen before at least:

360daafef7f339bec82097eb632ec26a.png

Astral

I reached the Claire A sewers in RE2. This game seems much bigger than RE1/REmake. I'm having trouble remembering the order of things and coming up with a good path for when I do another playthrough for a higher rank. I especially don't remember shit after the police station so I'm going in practically blind from this point on. I'm trying the best I can to limit my saves. So far I'm at 6 saves at the start of the sewers which feels like way too much.

Astral

Remember to bring the valve from the storage chest with you!

Oh shit thanks lol. I hate it when you don't know what else to do with an item and when you'll need it. I already had to go back one time for the lighter. Once you learn when to use the items, the playthrough becomes so damn smooth. Speaking of the lighter, what else do you use that for? And did anyone actually bother with the wires? Once the scene where the zombies break through the Windows triggers, you never have to go back to those hallways anyway.

BTails

Oh shit thanks lol. I hate it when you don't know what else to do with an item and when you'll need it. I already had to go back one time for the lighter. Once you learn when to use the items, the playthrough becomes so damn smooth. Speaking of the lighter, what else do you use that for? And did anyone actually bother with the wires? Once the scene where the zombies break through the Windows triggers, you never have to go back to those hallways anyway.

The wire really only comes in handy for B Scenario playthroughs, I find.

Mr_Zombie

Speaking of the lighter, what else do you use that for?

I think the last time you can use the lighter is near the cable car that leads from sewers to the factory. You have to light some device (a flare launcher or something) to notice a key lying on the floor. However, if you already know its there you can simply run around the device pressing the action button and the character will find it anyway (at least I remember doing so on my runs).

BTails

So in RE4, I just noticed that the red eyes on the Ganado cut out that shows your score
("YEEEEAAAAH!!")
move! I always just saw them as glowing eyes, but they look around if you stay on your score sheet long enough.

finley83

Banned
Parasite Eve 2 is on sale on US PSN, is it worth picking up as a fan of RE 1-3? I heard it had the same background artists as RE2, my favourite of the classic games.

Parasite Eve 2 is on sale on US PSN, is it worth picking up as a fan of RE 1-3? I heard it had the same background artists as RE2, my favourite of the classic games.

Go ahead, in my opinion PE1 is still better than PE2, but it is still decent, if you like pre-rendered backgrounds and the RE vibe.

BTails

Yeah, Parasite Eve 2 is definitely worth it for fans of the RE games. It's more like Resident Evil than the first game, although most would argue that it's weaker than it's predecessor. Still a fun romp though!

One word of advice, if you want the good ending, follow a guide, or at least look up the triggers, as they're sprinkled throughout the game, and a few can be easily missed.

BadWolf

Go ahead, in my opinion PE1 is still better than PE2, but it is still decent, if you like pre-rendered backgrounds and the RE vibe.

Yeah if you want kind of a classic RE fix then go for PE2.

I absolutely loved PE1 though so really hated what they did with PE2 and never finished it despite trying to start it a few times.

Still can't believe they ditched PE1's amazing formula for both the second (more RE-esque) and third (TPS) games.

Golnei

Still can't believe they ditched PE1's amazing formula for both the second (more RE-esque) and third (TPS) games.

The first game at least had its gameplay ideas expanded on in Vagrant Story; but I agree that a lot of what made the first game unique was lost in its sequels - the second actively disposing of its stylistic elements to make it fit in the RE mould, and the 'third' taking the empty shells of Aya and Eve for one of the most egregiously incoherent Toriyama plots Square-Enix has ever approved.

For a standalone RE clone, PE2 isn't bad, but it is a shame that it came at the expense of building on the distinctive mix of genre tropes that made PE1 so interesting. And I think T3B could actually be somewhat fun at times, if shallow; but the attempts to tie it in to the series uniformly made things worse. It'd actually have been a better game if it were just about Lightning losing clothing throughout time and space.

finley83

Banned
Oh great, a load of tat and no game. Outside of hardcore collectors and the super rich, who actually buys this stuff? I mean, I get the appeal of the art book but the rest of that stuff seems useless.

Bladenic

Gross. I suppose that confirms it, there's no reason not to get the Deluxe digital I suppose. Or may just stick with the regular.

Dusk Golem

Resident Evil 7 Vinyl CD preview includes samples from three previously unheard songs from Resident Evil 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoESoHhneA

The source of this is from here, where it's pre-orderable: http://www.e-capcom.com/biohazard7/Z/main/index.html

g_i2_img1.jpg

g_i2_img2.jpg

The three songs they show off in the preview are:

01.) The Japanese version of the "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" theme.
02.) Some horror orchestrated violin song with weird creature moans and squeaks over it, relatively creepy and can tell its a live performance. If you pay attention, it has Aunt Rhody mixed into the violin as well and the background sounds are similar to the background songs of Aunt Rhody.
03.) A 'Showtune' New Orleans Showtune-styled version of the Aunt Rhody theme.

It's a mini soundtrack for part of the Japanese deluxe edition (among other things), includes five songs total, preview shows samples from the above three. Since this is the album for Aunt Rhody, it's probably safe to assume the album has different mixes of Aunt Rhody on it from RE7.

Jawmuncher

I need the full version of that third song. That sounds like it would be in a bonus mode result screen or something.
Also the cover art is interesting. On the flip the girl isn't there. Wonder what that means.

Jawmuncher

In the steam thread there was a quick conversation on who the best female Resident Evil character is. After thinking about it, i've come to realize that for me personally I don't really like any to that point. Not saying the female characters are bad, but I can't say any of them have ever caught my interest like the male cast has.

I think a big factor is we haven't really had a proper female villain that grew. Not have we gotten any deep female characters either. That's not to say the Male characters are master pieces, but I dunno personally I feel their more distinct than the female personalities we have seen across the series.

Just something I was thinking, and something I know not everyone is going to agree with me on.

JayEH

I truly don't understand these CE that don't even have the game lol.

Calling it a specific game collector's is probably a bad move imo. They're really just merch for the game that they're bundling together. I understand the intent in that they want something for digital owners who may not want another copy of the game. I also assume these editions are -$60 on the price tag since there is no game so it doesn't seem like something to be outraged over.

jonno394

In the steam thread there was a quick conversation on who the best female Resident Evil character is. After thinking about it, i've come to realize that for me personally I don't really like any to that point. Not saying the female characters are bad, but I can't say any of them have ever caught my interest like the male cast has.

I think a big factor is we haven't really had a proper female villain that grew. Not have we gotten any deep female characters either. That's not to say the Male characters are master pieces, but I dunno personally I feel their more distinct than the female personalities we have seen across the series.

Just something I was thinking, and something I know not everyone is going to agree with me on.

I'm playing Revelations 2 atm and I think Moira is a great character. Really didn't think I'd like her at all but she's quickly became one of my favourite resi characters.

Jawmuncher

Like I don't think any of the female characters are bad, but I dunno. Just kinda realized I wouldn't care if I never saw them again.

This sounds really wrong and isn't anything sexist. But I guess I just haven't had any connection to the female cast in RE.

BTails

Claire is my favourite RE protag, so onviously she's my favourite female one as well. She's very headstrong and could have easily had a "normal" life after Raccoon City, but continues to fight against BOWs for the good of the world (Going after Umbrella in Europe, joining TerraSave, etc...)

I also really liked Moira in RER2. I thought she'd get annoying quickly with her overtly foul language, but it ended up being charming, especially when she was reunited with her dad.

Spinky

I was surprised at how much I liked Moira by the end. At first she did nothing but annoy me, now she's probably one of my favourite RE characters. She really brought something special to the game's emotional scenes.

eda418f122374ff196bc2e10d47dcf86.png

Dusk Golem

I hate stating my favorite female RE characters since it makes it sound like I have a short hair fetish or something, but in actuality I just think most of the other RE characters don't have as interesting personalities (with Jill in my opinion being by far the blandest RE main character at the moment).

For the record, my favorites are Moira, Sherry, & Rebecca, but it is completely based on their characterization. I think Capcom should do more to give personality to their other characters. I like Claire decently as well, but her personality was kind of held back in Revelations 2. I actually thought Natalia was pretty likable as a character and look forward to her appearing again in the future. I have 50/50 thoughts on Ada, I liked Alex Wesker's crazed witch mode, but didn't care much for her scientist form (given very little screentime though).

I like Jill, of all the RE characters she's the only one with no nonsense and acts professionally. Chris rages, Leon has a split personality and is a goon, Claire does stupid shit, Ada is a joke at this point and cannot be taken seriously.

Moira...well
how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg

Leon has a split personality and is a goon]

I (and my avatar) take offense to that statement! :p

No one in the RE universe delivers cheesy one-liners like Leon does. No one. RE4 *alone* is full of them. That's before you bring in RE2 to the mix. I haven't played RE6 yet (it's in my backlog), but I heard his personality is butchered there. It's not his fault, it's Capcom's :p

Mr_Zombie

I (and my avatar) take offense to that statement! :p

No one in the RE universe delivers cheesy one-liners like Leon does. No one. RE4 *alone* is full of them. That's before you bring in RE2 to the mix. I haven't played RE6 yet (it's in my backlog), but I heard his personality is butchered there. It's not his fault, it's Capcom's :p

I wouldn't say it's butchered - it's just a matured version of RE2 Leon that meets somewhere in the middle between one-liner spouting cocky RE4 Leon and deadpan serious Degeneration Leon.

What if this game takes place after Resident Evil 1 and before Resident Evil 2?

It's already confirmed that it takes place after RE6.

Claire is my favourite RE protag, so onviously she's my favourite female one as well. She's very headstrong and could have easily had a "normal" life after Raccoon City, but continues to fight against BOWs for the good of the world (Going after Umbrella in Europe, joining TerraSave, etc...)

I also really liked Moira in RER2. I thought she'd get annoying quickly with her overtly foul language, but it ended up being charming, especially when she was reunited with her dad.

I'm playing Revelations 2 atm and I think Moira is a great character. Really didn't think I'd like her at all but she's quickly became one of my favourite resi characters.
I was surprised at how much I liked Moira by the end. At first she did nothing but annoy me, now she's probably one of my favourite RE characters. She really brought something special to the game's emotional scenes.

100% agreed

Moira went through the best (and one of the only) character development arc in the entire series.
She's a completely different person by the end of the game. She starts out whiny, resentful of her father, afraid of guns due to a past traumatic incident, and dependent on Claire for survival. But by the end of the game, she's overcome her fears, grown respect for her father, and becomes a total self-sufficient badass who can survive on her own. But only if you get the right ending!

Very few other characters have gotten the same amount of attention that Moira got. In RE 1-4 the games always focused more on the larger story and events happening around the characters, rather than the characters themselves. The characters were just a vessel to get through obstacles. It wasn't really until RE5 and 6 that the characters became more of a focus. It's a shame that hasn't been done with Jill yet though. Even in Rev 1, where she was the main protagonist, the game didn't really make her grow as a person or explored her past at all. She was just another empty shell with a gun again.

Top Bottom