• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

I (and my avatar) take offense to that statement! :p

No one in the RE universe delivers cheesy one-liners like Leon does. No one. RE4 *alone* is full of them. That's before you bring in RE2 to the mix. I haven't played RE6 yet (it's in my backlog), but I heard his personality is butchered there. It's not his fault, it's Capcom's :p

RE4 Leon is the worst Leon. Guy is a clown. The entire game is a circus.

And trying to be cheesy like RE4 Leon sucks, it's low grade materials. The best cheese is when things are played straight and serious. Which is why RE5 Wesker is king.

I mean, outside pure nostalgia, what would really be the point of bringing back Umbrella honestly?

A 'villain' fans actually care about. This "Here's a new organis....no wait they're dead and buried" every game the series has been doing isn't engaging at all, nobody cares because is no history there.

BTails

New little piece of RE7 promotional art:

9zvXkO0.gif

Can't unsee the NeoGAF logo.

A 'villain' fans actually care about. This "Here's a new organis....no wait they're dead and buried" every game the series has been doing isn't engaging at all, nobody cares because is no history there.

Yeah, but Umbrella is dead and buried itself. People didn't like the way it went out, I get, but the series has progressed way past the concept of Umbrella and trying to revive it would just a wet fart of obvious pander to capture former glory. I mean, I guess it could be doable and good, but it would be hard.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, but Umbrella is dead and buried itself. People didn't like the way it went out, I get, but the series has progressed way past the concept of Umbrella and trying to revive it would just a wet fart of obvious pander to capture former glory. I mean, I guess it could be doable and good, but it would be hard.

That just falls back on the issue of every enemy entity being introduced and destroyed in every game they pop up. Umbrella sticks around so much since it had games to build up over compared to the others, and the logo is simple & iconic.

I don't necessarily think that Umbrella should come back, but there is definitely room to still have them talked about. We're already seeing that with RE7 with the bakers having potential older ties to Umbrella. So even if they're finished there's ways to still incorporate the far effects they had while they existed.

At this point all we can hope for is that Capcom does something with the Family that isn't going to be really lame. The family with an actual face as an evil organization would help wonders. We potential have something with Alex, but we'll see if that transfers to mainline. Or if it will just be something covered in another spinoff and then sealed up.

Jawmuncher

I feel like it won't be the T-Virus. But rather another virus that was being developed at the same time. I could see someone like umbrella not throwing all their eggs in one basket even that early on.

Mr_Zombie

Very few other characters have gotten the same amount of attention that Moira got. In RE 1-4 the games always focused more on the larger story and events happening around the characters, rather than the characters themselves. The characters were just a vessel to get through obstacles. It wasn't really until RE5 and 6 that the characters became more of a focus. It's a shame that hasn't been done with Jill yet though. Even in Rev 1, where she was the main protagonist, the game didn't really make her grow as a person or explored her past at all. She was just another empty shell with a gun again.

My thoughts exactly. There are very few characters in the series that actually has something that can be called "a character development". Even in RE5 and RE6 the only characters that have an arc are Chris (both RE5 and RE6 - although both games use the same premise of Chris loosing a partner/team members and acting reckless due to it), Jake and maybe Helena. Everyone else? Just empty shells, with a character trait or two, used to tell a bigger story.

Wasnt the G-Virus developed at the same time?

G specifically was produced from Lisa Trevor's body (originally infected with Progenitor) after absorbing a NEMESIS (NE-a) parasite.

NEMESIS, G-Virus, T-Virus, T-Veronica, and others were all undergoing work simultaneously in varying stages. Umbrella was such a vast and global presence that they could afford to pursue whatever and how many avenues that they wished to.

It wouldn't be surprising to see that it has a similar origin to that of T-Abyss, especially with RE7's 'Shadow' being a bit reminiscent of Revelations' Ooze (and RE6's Bloodshot). The combination of a fungal/plant native virus that could potentially exhibit regenerative properties in its hosts with the T-Virus would make sense, as Umbrella was surely looking into a way to eliminate the degenerative effects that were plaguing T-Virus hosts.

Jawmuncher

New RE7 PS4 theme. Apparently locked to Japanese PSN and needs gold to download it. Plays a jewelry box version of Aunt Rhoda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_5hU-iWT8

If you want to use it on your US account here's what I did.

Make Japanese account, activate it your PS4 as its home console. Go to saved data management and click upload save. You will see a PS+ prompt that offers a two day free trail. Use it and download the theme. So long as the Japanese account is set to use your PS4 as home, it'll be useable on your US account.

Pretty sure avatars and themes don't have the timer on them like games.

Spinky

New RE7 PS4 theme. Apparently locked to Japanese PSN and needs gold to download it. Plays a jewelry box version of Aunt Rhoda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_5hU-iWT8

If you want to use it on your US account here's what I did.

Make Japanese account, activate it your PS4 as its home console. Go to saved data management and click upload save. You will see a PS+ prompt that offers a two day free trail. Use it and download the theme. So long as the Japanese account is set to use your PS4 as home, it'll be useable on your US account.

Pretty sure avatars and themes don't have the timer on them like games.
Whoa.

Will have, thanks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Great. And you said that this about the whole Mainseries? Because half of the fun of a Resident Evil game for me is finding and reading the files and it woulf great to have one big compendium.

Jawmuncher

Great. And you said that this about the whole Mainseries? Because half of the fun of a Resident Evil game for me is finding and reading the files and it woulf great to have one big compendium.

Not sure what the Collectors Edition book will have in it. Though if you want something similar to that there are the RE archive books. Volume 1 is kinda rare now though.

rulerk1

Played all of 4, half of 5 and some of 6 but playing RE1 is absolutely terrifying. My heart skipped a beat when they red guy jumped up and started to chase me in the hall you get the arrowhead. (I should have burned him when I had the chance). Makes me wonder if all of the other bodies (i didn't kill) will come alive too. Can they be headshot?

Makes me wonder if all of the other bodies (i didn't kill) will come alive too. Can they be headshot?

Zombies only become Crimson Heads if they were killed without being decapitated, or burned within a short period after you killed them.

If you left them alive and they are still regular zombies, they won't turn.

Jawmuncher

img_0732mbu9l.jpg

New U.K. Steelbook edition. Looks like it confirms the Magnum in the game and the box art change we suspected. (Every store front digitally has the logo and dropped the little girl box art).

The US CE id think should drop this week. It's already preorderable at GameStop. Also thankfully the VR box prompt looks a bit better now. Not taking up as much space.

I mean, outside pure nostalgia, what would really be the point of bringing back Umbrella honestly?

I think if the franchise isn't going to aim for fun/campy like RE4, and is instead aiming for semiseriousness, it's better off having a faceless deeply shady/unethical villain like the Umbrella Corporation was for RE1-3 than having flamboyant megalomaniac human villains like RECV/4/5/6/Dead Aim/etc

Jawmuncher

I think if the franchise isn't going to aim for fun/campy like RE4, and is instead aiming for semiseriousness, it's better off having a faceless deeply shady/unethical villain like the Umbrella Corporation was for RE1-3 than having flamboyant megalomaniac human villains like RECV/4/5/6/Dead Aim/etc

A human villain would work, if they were actually able to develop over time rather than killed the same game they show up.

Jawmuncher

Like I'm still surprised they never brought back krauser. They could have easily cheesed him living even with the fight in separate ways. With him being pretty close to wesker, they could have separated paths in 5 for whatever reason. Then in 6 he was fucking around from the shadows in all of the Carla,Simmons, family shenanigans.

Mr_Zombie

But "Umbrella" was hardly a villain in those games; it was there for the background story, a context to deploy new bad guys. The true villains were: a totally-not-a-traitor who wears black and wears sunglasses during a night mission, a rapist/murderer psycho with sadistic tendencies who somehow became a police chief, a scientist who decided to inject himself with a deadly virus, a Russian soldier (enough said) and a tentacle monster in a leather coat and with white pretty teeth.

It wasn't really that much different than what other games have provided. Capcom only needs to stop with the "I want to destroy the world!" / "I want to become a god!" kind of villains because they start to become boring. It seems RE7 finally returns to the smaller scale villains who are much more personal, and that's a good sign.

But "Umbrella" was hardly a villain in those games; it was there for the background story, a context to deploy new bad guys. The true villains were: a totally-not-a-traitor who wears black and wears sunglasses during a night mission, a rapist/murderer psycho with sadistic tendencies who somehow became a police chief, a scientist who decided to inject himself with a deadly virus, a Russian soldier (enough said) and a tentacle monster in a leather coat and with white pretty teeth.

It wasn't really that much different than what other games have provided. Capcom only needs to stop with the "I want to destroy the world!" / "I want to become a god!" kind of villains because they start to become boring.

Umbrella always felt to me like a hydra and each game had you dealing with a different head with another popping up the next game.

They were their own villains but they all stemmed from the same beast.

Jawmuncher

Umbrella always felt to me like a hydra and each game had you dealing with a different head with another popping up the next game.

I agree with that. The back drop of umbrella as a whole did help a lot with one time villains. "We took down one, but there's still more out there".

Mr_Zombie

But the problem with that was that before RE4 was released, there were 3 games that ended up with "We have to destroy Umbrella" kind of speech. And while Capcom could do the end of Umbrella scenario better (a throw-away campaign in a rail shooter and a mention in RE4 opening is far from being a satisfactory ending), they couldn't rely on the company forever. Especially since, given the in-game world building, something as large as Raccoon City incident had to have its consequences. Kidnapping and experimenting on random people is one thing, a viral incident that lead to nuking/bombing a whole town is another.

The really bad thing is that Capcom hasn't replaced Umbrella with a new long-term "hydra" even when they had a chance. Tricell? The Family? Alex Wesker continuing Spencer's legacy? Instead the series relies currently on one-off villains/corporations that don't have any time to develop.

I'm not seeing the issue with the pre-order bonus of magnum ammo that went on in that dumpster fire of a thread. Minor consumable drop in a single player game is bad...why? There's nothing that seems balance breaking. Anything actually substantial would be problematic in potentially gating content behind it (bad enough with the early MadHouse Unlock).

Some thoughts on Madhouse Mode...I now believe that this will be the difficulty where the Baker's will be in constant pursuit throughout their 'zones'. While the Volume clip of Jack Baker displayed a quick revival of the pursuer, I'm holding doubts that such a turnaround will be the norm in the standard playthrough.

^And agreed that we need another overarching threat than villain of the week mixed with general bioterrorism.

Spinky

Exactly how much of a dumpster fire is Operation Raccoon City? Saw it for £4 or something and felt... uh... semi-tempted, I guess?

EDIT: As for new villains, we've already had Simmons so there's nowhere to go but up.

Jawmuncher

Exactly how much of a dumpster fire is Operation Raccoon City? Saw it for £4 or something and felt... uh... semi-tempted, I guess?

EDIT: As for new villains, we've already had Simmons so there's nowhere to go but up.

It's a decent idea that to me never gets much better than ok if you play solo. Make sure to play on easy so you don't have to deal with bullet sponge enemies as much. PC version on sale is the one to get, since it has all the DLC. The spec ops campaign is the other half of the game.

Nowhere near as bad as you would have read around release. Some people just had a vendetta against that game and the bullshit spread like mad.

It has its issues, but I honestly don't see how anyone who is a RE fan cannot get enjoyment out of it. The Echo Six campaign (DLC) is also much better than the base game campaign.

It is of course much better played in co-op, and I have no idea how active the competitive online is anymore, but I put a good 50-70 hours into it and enjoyed most of it. Nemesis mode is best but 360 exclusive.

Jawmuncher

Nowhere near as bad as you would have read around release. Some people just had a vendetta against that game and the bullshit spread like mad.

It has its issues, but I honestly don't see how anyone who is a RE fan cannot get enjoyment out of it.

It is of course much better played in co-op, and I have no idea how active the competitive online is anymore, but I put a good 50 hours into it and enjoyed most of it. Nemesis mode is best but 360 exclusive.

Still would love another game that fixes the flaws. A combination of Orc and Umbrella Corps could be something great .

Does the RE7 demo currently available have a title screen voice like these? I don't have a PS4 so I can't see for myself and all the videos on YouTube skip straight to gameplay without showing the title screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM28IAPc1Jo

Kinda wish they'd used the name "Biohazard" for the series worldwide instead of changing it outside Japan.

Jawmuncher

Does the RE7 demo currently available have a title screen voice like these? I don't have a PS4 so I can't see for myself and all the videos on YouTube skip straight to gameplay without showing the title screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM28IAPc1Jo

Kinda wish they'd used the name "Biohazard" for the series worldwide instead of changing it outside Japan.

It does not. Sounds like the final game won't have it either. From what it seems the game doesn't start typically. Looks like it starts as a case file in a bsaa office.

Jawmuncher

v9sni.jpg

The Resident Evil 7 Collector's Edition brings horror home. Full of unique goodies with models based on items and locations from Resident Evil 7 biohazard, this Collector's Edition is sure to be the centerpiece of any fan's collection.

The standout of course is the model replica Baker mansion standing at 8" in height, 7.5" in length, and 8.5" in depth, doubling as a music box that plays a familiar tune with accompanying LED effects. This is also your chance to own the dummy finger, the very same one that has haunted fans since the game's announcement. That's not all, though; also included is a metal case for the game, a lithograph showcasing the Baker family in all their mystique, a video tape box for the dummy finger, and a creepy note from one of the mansion's residents.

Resident Evil 7 biohazard Collector's Edition Includes:
-Resident Evil 7 biohazard Base Game
-Mansion Music Box (8'' Tall) that plays a sample of Aunt Rhody with accompanying LED effects.
-Dummy Finger 4G USB Drive
-Exclusive Metal Case
-VHS Tape Box
-Exclusive Lithograph
-Creepy Note
-Premium Packaging

Page Link: http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/r...rd-collectors-edition-only-at-gamestop/138710

180 bucks and it doesn't even include the season pass. WTH.

Brhoom

Banned
I'm so hyped for Resident Evil 7. I've never been this excited for a game since P.T and Revelations for the 3ds.

Sony, If you want me to buy a PS4 Pro, do a 7 themed version.

v9sni.jpg

The Resident Evil 7 Collector's Edition brings horror home. Full of unique goodies with models based on items and locations from Resident Evil 7 biohazard, this Collector's Edition is sure to be the centerpiece of any fan's collection.

The standout of course is the model replica Baker mansion standing at 8" in height, 7.5" in length, and 8.5" in depth, doubling as a music box that plays a familiar tune with accompanying LED effects. This is also your chance to own the dummy finger, the very same one that has haunted fans since the game's announcement. That's not all, though; also included is a metal case for the game, a lithograph showcasing the Baker family in all their mystique, a video tape box for the dummy finger, and a creepy note from one of the mansion's residents.

Resident Evil 7 biohazard Collector's Edition Includes:
-Resident Evil 7 biohazard Base Game
-Mansion Music Box (8'' Tall) that plays a sample of Aunt Rhody with accompanying LED effects.
-Dummy Finger 4G USB Drive
-Exclusive Metal Case
-VHS Tape Box
-Exclusive Lithograph
-Creepy Note
-Premium Packaging

Page Link: http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/r...rd-collectors-edition-only-at-gamestop/138710

180 bucks and it doesn't even include the season pass. WTH.

It has the game at least. That music box thing actually sounds cool, but for $180 lol, hells no.

Top Bottom