• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Ludens

Banned
They're not very minor. There are a lot of different scenes in each scenario. It's fresh enough on each playthrough, even in terms of gameplay since you need to adjust how you play depending on the character. Just because you have an easy time with Leon A doesn't mean you'll find Claire A so easy.

The game was written and designed so that the player should play all four scenarios. It's worth it.

For scenes you mean cutscenes?

RE0 switches even more. Most people go with Control Type D I think in REmake.
Worse comes to worse you can switch it even more now with the PS4 controller layout in settings.

shit, I had forgotten about this feature. Can I create some profiles for games?

edit: I can't, but going in the ps4 settings to activate the custom controls is easy enough. Thanks for the tip!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So it turns out the Heavenly Island manga is not actually a prequel to Revelations 2 as implied. It's set in 2014 as a prequel to Umbrella Corps while also answering leftover plot threads from BIO5 and REV2.

In particular, the setting is the island mentioned in the Lost In Nightmares file Spencer's Memoirs 2. Claire calls Chris for support, but he's busy on a mission in the U.S. and instead recommends Parker Luciani. Claire also discovers a photo of Alex Wesker and an unknown associate who brought B.O.W.'s back to the island.

This also explains why TerraSave now have GPS trackers in the manga but didn't in REV2. The kidnapping spurred them to include it on each member's phone.

The manga is great. Very surprising considering the initial setup is gratuitous sexuality, but it functions more as a way to throw the reader off. The suspense and mystery are great. It's a vast improvement over the yawnathon that was the Marhawa Desire manga. There's still a lot for the manga to answer but the story is one of the more compelling to come out of the series in over a decade.

There's a new pharmaceutical company Shényā Pharmaceutical based in China that is trying to recover Umbrella's research results on the island and resume a "project." By recording footage of a certain B.O.W. on the island massacring celebrity idols and broadcasting it globally, the company also hopes to renew interest in B.O.W.'s among dictators and terrorists. An agent of this company could be mistaken for HUNK at first glance, but the outfit they wear actually looks like the soldiers in Umbrella Corps.

Now I have to fix my timeline. :/

Also, wait then, who is the "master" being referred to by some of the bad guys in the first two volumes? Has that been revealed? I'd had assumed it was Alex. :|

New Umbrella Corps map revealed. No video though (?) just screenshots but it's basically Public Assembly (extended) from RE5.

The autonomous zone of Kijuju was the setting for Resident Evil 5, featuring a settlement that had been virtually wiped out by the Plaga bioterror infection. In Umbrella Corps, Kijuju will be a new battle zone that is also the biggest map in the game, with plenty of open areas and webbed underground passages to keep things interesting. As always, not only must you battle the other team, but each map includes other enemy threats that won’t make for an easy win. In this case, you’ll have to watch out for the infected Kijuju inhabitants called the Majini who are just as fierce and dangerous as you remember from Resident Evil 5!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/neilgortz/blog/2016/02/12/new-umbrella-corps-kijuju-map-revealed

d492210c8c6549ae33543f3d94be6010.jpg

1329f4a794fced81d24a5ee746bd12da.jpg

d1fb22099ec5d7d338e36804d163ae67.jpg

Neiteio

So is Umbrella Corps considered canon?

The game itself actually looks good — the hands-on impressions I read in the other thread were positive — but I'm not really into these kinds of shooters.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

The game itself actually looks good — the hands-on impressions I read in the other thread were positive — but I'm not really into these kinds of shooters.

Canon in the sense that it's background/lore behind it is canon. Corporations in the year 2015 do hire mercenaries to obtain samples and stuff from Biohazardous areas. They are regularly equipped with Zombie Jammers, "Brainers", etc. They do run tests through their mercenaries to acquire "combat data" from B.O.W.s. Moment to moment gameplay is not canon, of course.

There might be light story content in the single player challenge mode, and that would be canon.

Jawmuncher

So why wouldn't the BSAA have zombie jammers? Guess you can tip toe around and go "it doesn't affect the new breed from this virus".

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So why wouldn't the BSAA have zombie jammers? Guess you can tip toe around and go "it doesn't affect the new breed from this virus".

BSAA isn't exactly keen on experimenting with Zombies, while Corporations have no such problems, so they've figured out some subsonic waves that repel zombies or something. This is my guess, anyways. Maybe they do have them but they got developed in 2015 or something.

Lunafreya

So it turns out the Heavenly Island manga is not actually a prequel to Revelations 2 as implied. It's set in 2014 as a prequel to Umbrella Corps while also answering leftover plot threads from BIO5 and REV2.

Thank you so much News Bot for reminding me of Heavenly Island, I remember it coming out around the same time as Revelations 2.

It's really good and has a lot of meaty information and connections.

Do you know the release schedule of the chapters/Volumes?

What consoles do you guys usually stick to when it comes to the series? I just ordered parts for a gaming PC (my first ever yay) and while, obviously, the frame rate and such is very enticing for games like RE5 and 6, I still feel like where I've always played RE on Playstation and I have trophy progress that I don't know that I want to "defect" if that makes sense. Most people don't have this problem but I'm extremely OCD when it comes to this stuff. Like I can't have trophy progress for say the remasters on PS4, and Steam achievements for the others. I kind of want that progress map under one Umbrella.

strafer

What consoles do you guys usually stick to when it comes to the series? I just ordered parts for a gaming PC (my first ever yay) and while, obviously, the frame rate and such is very enticing for games like RE5 and 6, I still feel like where I've always played RE on Playstation and I have trophy progress that I don't know that I want to "defect" if that makes sense. Most people don't have this problem but I'm extremely OCD when it comes to this stuff. Like I can't have trophy progress for say the remasters on PS4, and Steam achievements for the others. I kind of want that progress map under one Umbrella.

It varies, I don't really have a specific system.

Neff

There is a laser sight in RE6, you just have to enable it in the options. It's by far the best way to play the game.

Agreed, it's essential for enjoying the game at its best. The target just doesn't work as well, either for accuracy or gauging distance. In fact I think more people would have gotten on better with the game if the laser had been enabled by default.

It will be. Every RE game is canon, or more accurately features canon, except for RE Gaiden.

It's all over the place imo.

360 - Best console versions of RE5 and Revelations HD

PS3 - Best console versions of RE4, RE6 (although I prefer it on 360), Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles, and probably has the largest collection of RE titles in one place, in addition to disc BC for classic PSone RE games

PS4 - Best console versions of REmaster, RE0 HD, and Revelations 2

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I've been all over the place. I played RE5 on PS3, RE6 on 360, but I've since moved onto PC. I now have REmake, RE0, and RE6 on PC, and I'll probably continue to play the series on the PC from now on.

However I wouldn't mind jumping back and forth between Steam and the Windows 10 Xbox app if I can do the Tomb Raider trick of switching regions to get the game cheaper on W10.

It's not canon. It's pure fanservice, but doesn't affect the plot at all. It was there to tease fans about a BIO2 remake and extend the game, since it was originally designed to be shorter. In the canon, the chapel connects directly to the treatment plant and there is no elevator. The 0 lab exists in a vacuum.

Original storyboards have no bearing on the released product. They put it in the final game, included it in the story, its canon. Being fanservice doesn't stop it being canon.

Or is the RPD not canon because it has screwed up geography? Don't answer that.

Neiteio

It's all over the place imo.

360 - Best console versions of RE5 and Revelations HD
The Digital Foundry comparison says the PS3 version of Revelations is better. The 360 version has compression artifacts.

What makes RE5 preferable on 360? The 360 version has screen-tearing, which I can't stand.

Neff

The Digital Foundry comparison says the PS3 version of Revelations is better. The 360 version has compression artifacts.

What makes RE5 preferable on 360?

FMV always fares better on PS3 simply because of the 'duh' factor of DVD vs Blu Ray. As far as the gameplay goes, it's ever so slightly better on 360 due to MT framework performing better on MS' machine.

360 RE5 has better AA and a higher framerate, in addition to a few extra graphical effects. I've played both versions extensively (from start to finish several times on each platform) and it's quite noticeable, but the game is still fine on PS3.

Rean

PS3/4 mainly since I have 0,REmake,2,3,4,CVX,6 and Rev2 on there

I have 5 on 360 and PC and Rev1/RE4 on PC too.

Pretty much either PS4 or PC. Really no reason to play RE4 anywhere else but PC, by far the best version now. RE5 is also best on PC.

RE HD and RE0 HD are basically the same on PS4 or PC besides 60 fps.

Jawmuncher

See this would drive me absolutely bonkers.

Not as much as your avatar does-- but bonkers nonetheless.

I've been sticking with PC as of late. Cheaper and better performance. But overall I play the series wherever it is. ATM PlayStation is the best home since the vast majority of titles are available. You can play 1-6 mainline including Relake HD and 0 on just PS3 it's amazing.

So if anything for you. Brand new PS family, on sale or a cheap rerelease PC.

Thank you so much News Bot for reminding me of Heavenly Island, I remember it coming out around the same time as Revelations 2.

Are there translations available for this manga?

There is a laser sight in RE6, you just have to enable it in the options. It's by far the best way to play the game.

I played with the laser from the beginning of RE6 but later on, I changed to the recticle and it worked so much better for Survivors and Mercenaries. Though most of the time I used Shooting Wild which removes laser or recticle so it didn't make much of a difference but whenever I didn't use SW it helped alot with long range shots.

Bergerac

I don't get the issue with the Umbrella Labs in 0. You get there by cable car which logically runs back under the bridge that leads out from the Training Facility to the Church. So that has to be a short distance.

You can determine the distance when it comes to 0 purely because of the fact that you end up at the elevator which can lead back up to the Training Facility.

The cable car in RE2 however, is there any way to determine the distance travelled? I don't see the issue.

In any event, RE canon went to shit after 3 with events I just can't care about. I'm beyond the point of caring about RE canon to be annoyed that the RE2 lab should appear in 0. It's not like superpowers, or giants.

Added to that I imagine had they gone ahead with a remake of RE2 on Gamecube at the time, they probably would've taken the new geography into account. RE2 would likely have shown differences in getting to the labs to accomodate 0's geography, like REmake's mansion was significantly altered.

If you want to play the best versions of games it's a nightmare, but if you just want to play them then Playstation is fine.

Best imo

RE1 - DS
RE2 - Dreamcast
RE3 - PC (Dreamcast best console)
CV - PS3
RE4 - Wii
REmake - PC
RE0 - PC
RE5 - PC now it has DLC, though not sure on local co-op on PC, was a big thing for me.
RE6 - In a fire

I don't get the issue with the Umbrella Labs in 0. You get there by cable car which logically runs back under the bridge that leads out from the Training Facility to the Church. So that has to be a short distance.

You can determine the distance when it comes to 0 purely because of the fact that you end up at the elevator which can lead back up to the Training Facility.

The cable car in RE2 however, is there any way to determine the distance travelled? I don't see the issue.

In any event, RE canon went to shit after 3 with events I just can't care about. I'm beyond the point of caring about RE canon to be annoyed that the RE2 lab should appear in 0. It's not like superpowers, or giants.

There is the fact that the elevator which leads up to the training facility basement is right next to the large train platform/elevator, which isn't in front of the mansion.

It's purely a gameplay mechanic to let you backtrack to items easily, not the first geometry mistake, but by far the worst.

If you want to play the best versions of games it's a nightmare, but if you just want to play them then Playstation is fine.

Pretty much. I may get them on PC while dirt cheap during sales just for the wow factor, and continue to hope that some remasters come to PS4. I know it doesn't make any fucking sense, that's just how I am. :p

Manu

Well, since 0 came out on PS4 I now own all the mainline RE (and the Chronicles games) on Playstation.

PS3:
RE1 DC
RE2
RE3
RE: CVX
RE4
RE5 (+DLC)
RE6 (+DLC)
RE Umbrella Chronicles
RE Darkside Chronicles
RE Rev
RE Rev 2 (got the PS3 version w/preorder)
REmake HD (same as above)

PS4:
REmake HD
Rev 2
RE Zero

I plan to marathon through all of them soon.

Neff

Can't believe we haven't heard anything about RE7 yet. Didnt 6 come out in 2012?

Capcom always starts preproduction/story work on the next numbered RE as soon as the current one is complete, so RE7 has been in production since 2012. It's very likely it'll be announced this year.

Bergerac

There is the fact that the elevator which leads up to the training facility basement is right next to the large train platform/elevator, which isn't in front of the mansion.

It's purely a gameplay mechanic to let you backtrack to items easily, not the first geometry mistake, but by far the worst.

That shaft wouldn't need to be in front of the Training Facility though, the highest level it reaches is B2 (same level as the cable car and under the church). However there's no way to judge how far down the lower Church levels are either, other wise you could argue that the lower levels of the Church are on the same level as the TF Basement or even the TF ground floor (1st flr, to Americans). But the elevator beside the Church could theoretically be a longer drop.

Capcom always starts preproduction/story work on the next numbered RE as soon as the current one is complete, so RE7 has been in production since 2012. It's very likely it'll be announced this year.

Maybe even released. If not I fully expect before mid-2017. I loved that RE6 was announced and released in the window that it was. I believe it was announced in January and released in October. That's fucking awesome and how it should be done. These 3+ year waits after announcements are so idiotic.

Neff

Maybe even released. If not I fully expect before mid-2017. I loved that RE6 was announced and released in the window that it was. I believe it was announced in January and released in October. That's fucking awesome and how it should be done. These 3+ year waits after announcements are so idiotic.

Yeah it was great. The fact that they were able and willing to make such a huge game in almost total secrecy with minimal leaks really paid off.

And yeah, I'm quietly confident that RE7 will be shown soon, set for a holiday release.

GCN was the go-to for main series physical accumulation before the latest remasters happened (or rather, now that the best title is not longer bound). You basically only missed 5 and 6, i.e. nothing. Now it's all over the place though. There should be a physical collection for all of them like MGS.

Neiteio

I would never expect RE to make complete sense, but I always find it amusing how the heroes rarely wear proper protection, despite working in a world full of viral weapons.

If we had comparable biohazards in real-life, the emergency responders would be wearing gas masks and hazmat suits. There are many situations where the villain could've easily killed the heroes simply by gassing them in an enclosed space (something that actually happens to Jill and Parker in RER1, but it's sleeping gas).

Also, within the first 20 minutes of RER1, we see Jill sticking her bare hand into a vat full of unknown substances, AND reaching into the belly of a dead BOW (the slug on the beach), which if she weren't a main character, probably would've come to life right then and there and swallowed her whole. :p

EDIT: Haha, after reaching inside the slug BOW, she returns to her boss and says, "These corpses have signs of viral infections." She then hands her boss the item she retrieved from the slug... with her bare hand. And her boss takes it... with his bare hand. I hope they have hand sanitizer at the BSAA!

Junahu

So, what's the difference between Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B?
I mean, only the presence of Mister X pursuing you?
I don't want to do the game four times for minor changes.
There are differences between the two characters, and differences between the two scenarios. You'll experience a lot of overlap when you do all four scenarios, but there are also some gameplay moments unique to one character in one scenario. Making the Vaccine is unique to ClaireA, for example.
The majority of the other changes are cutscenes, along with a couple of route changes.

You shouldn't marathon all four scenarios in one go. It's best to play two, then come back and try to speedrun the remaining two whenever you feel like playing the game again. The game is remarkably short when you know where you're going and what you need to bring.
You could also use the second playthrough to experiment with the various ways your actions in ScenarioA can affect ScenarioB
(whether you spawned the special Brad zombie encounter, which fusebox you fix, whether you take the backpack/machinegun, whether you kill the alligator boss, whether you spray the BOW gas in the Umbrella Facility, etc)

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Most recent tankōbon was released a few days ago, it's now three volumes in. The issues are released in Weekly Shonen Champion

Are there translations available for this manga?

Yes, although not any official ones. Viz did publish The Marhawa Desire, if you want to read it. It's kinda slow to start but it's neat. It also shows more about the C-Virus.

On-topic: I had most of my games on my PS3, and then it died so I only have my Steam (which now has RE5 thanks to Joe) and RE4 for the Wii. I used to have every RE game available on PS3. ;_;

GCN was the go-to for main series physical accumulation before the latest remasters happened (or rather, now that the best title is not longer bound). You basically only missed 5 and 6, i.e. nothing. Now it's all over the place though. There should be a physical collection for all of them like MGS.

It was out of left field how all of a sudden Nintendo had a pretty firm grip on the series there for a bit.

God RE4 on GameCubeNintendo was such a cool experience. When RE4 came out I was a freshman in college and I remember having it preordered at the Gamestop in my home town (which I went there on the weekends as it was only an hour away) and playing it the entire weekend straight before going back that Sunday.

finley83

Banned
Personally I'm fond of RE2 on GC as you can skip the cutscenes, which is a godsend for replaying. I don't think any other version let you do that. Also it's the only version with an in game brightness setting! PC version is at a higher resolution but is also a pain on modern systems as I think you need a specially formatted drive to save your game.

Have been trying to go back to CV on PS3 after completely bouncing off it the first time, but man it seems way darker than the original version. The ligting effects are nice but it's actually a bit hard to make things out in some scenes!

Neiteio

I've been thinking about giving RE2 a proper playthrough. I watched a video on it recently and was particularly impressed with the wide range of Birkin transformations. Is there a digital version that's recommended that I can download on PS4 or PS3?

Neff

I've been thinking about giving RE2 a proper playthrough. I watched a video on it recently and was particularly impressed with the wide range of Birkin transformations. Is there a digital version that's recommended that I can download on PS4 or PS3?

The PSone version is available on PS3.

There's no RE2 on PS4 yet, sadly.

Top Bottom