• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

I've been thinking about giving RE2 a proper playthrough. I watched a video on it recently and was particularly impressed with the wide range of Birkin transformations. Is there a digital version that's recommended that I can download on PS4 or PS3?

There's just the PSone Classic that is playable on PS3 and Vita. If you have a Vita I'd play it that way, it looks great on the screen, controls well, and playing in bed in the dark with headphones on is an A+ way to experience it.

I've been thinking about giving RE2 a proper playthrough. I watched a video on it recently and was particularly impressed with the wide range of Birkin transformations. Is there a digital version that's recommended that I can download on PS4 or PS3?

You don't happen to have a Vita do you? It looks really great on that size screen and holds up really well.

Neiteio

There's just the PSone Classic that is playable on PS3 and Vita. If you have a Vita I'd play it that way, it looks great on the screen, controls well, and playing in bed in the dark with headphones on is an A+ way to experience it.

You don't happen to have a Vita do you? It looks really great on that size screen and holds up really well.
No Vita. But I'm not expecting graphical greatness from a PSX title. I can still appreciate it for its overall art direction and atmosphere, even if the textures are blurry and the character models are blocky. There's something nostalgically appealing about that look, anyways.

It's not the PSone graphics themselves that are the issue, it's just that blown up on and HD screen they look worse than they should. On Vita it looks superlative because of the screen size and OLED, letting you appreciate all the detail and colors in the backgrounds.

Should be perfectly fine on PS3 though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE2 is probably the hardest classic RE to describe the 'best' version of. Hopefully the REmake of 2 is amazing, but as it is now, no version of RE2 is the 'ultimate' version, and there's small differences between the different versions.

Gamecube version runs at the second highest resolution, is the only version with skip cutscene options, and includes most everything post-release.

The second PC version has the highest resolution, highest quality FMVs, and everything unlocked from the beginning (I believe?).

Vita obviously has portability pros.

N64 version has weird quirks to it, like the Hunter cameo, exclusive files, blood color options, and other oddities (and ways to get by the N64 cartridge). Lowest resolution and things to bypass file size though.

I think any of the above four are fine depending on I guess what matters to you?

Neff

Dreamcast version of RE2 is by far the best version I've played. The 480i models look great against the upscaled backgrounds, it has the best FMV quality, a cool model viewer, and best of all displays your ammo and health on the VMU.

kuYuri

What consoles do you guys usually stick to when it comes to the series? I just ordered parts for a gaming PC (my first ever yay) and while, obviously, the frame rate and such is very enticing for games like RE5 and 6, I still feel like where I've always played RE on Playstation and I have trophy progress that I don't know that I want to "defect" if that makes sense. Most people don't have this problem but I'm extremely OCD when it comes to this stuff. Like I can't have trophy progress for say the remasters on PS4, and Steam achievements for the others. I kind of want that progress map under one Umbrella.

I officially switched to PC once RE4 Ultimate HD edition was released, RE5 became Steamworks and the Gold Edition/Untold Stories DLC finally released, and REmake HD/RE0 HD came out day and date on PC.

With that said, PlayStation consoles is the way to go if you want the complete series in one family, outside of oddity games like RE Gaiden.

Junahu

Only the PC and Dreamcast versions of RE2 have Hard mode (which is noticeably different from Normal mode; zombies eat up ammo like crazy and kill you in just a few bites). They also have an FMV viewer, a model viewer, and a concept-art gallery.

Only the Gamecube version of RE2 has cutscene skip for non-FMV cutscenes. it also comes on one disc, but you have to 'swap' between Leon and Claire versions on the main menu.

N64 version has a lot of minor additions, like alterable violence/blood settings, an item randomiser, and a whole set of extra notes that talk about events and characters from other RE games. It's missing one of the bonus modes (Extreme Battle) however.

It's crazy how there's never been a definitive edition of the game. Then again, the sega saturn version of RE1 has a few unique things of its own, like the series' first battle mode.

Jawmuncher

Dreamcast version of RE2 is by far the best version I've played. The 480i models look great against the upscaled backgrounds, it has the best FMV quality, a cool model viewer, and best of all displays your ammo and health on the VMU.

Doesn't the Japanese new PC version have all of that?

Mr_Zombie

I recently played RE3 on PC which had all costumes unlocked from the beginning, which was quite irritating.

Was it? Having all epilogue files unlocked, or all the extra weapons/unlimited ammo would be irritating, but costumes are just that - costumes, cosmetic changes. Most of them suck anyway; the only one I liked was S.T.A.R.S. and police uniform.

Doesn't the Japanese new PC version have all of that?

Normal PC version already had 640x480 resolution and the gallery. The Japanese rerelease added high quality FMVs that surpassed even the ones from the Dreamcast version. The only drawback were the hardcoded Japanese subtitles.

Mr_Zombie

I much prefer the laser sights to the RE6 style crosshairs. I was so glad Revelations 2 brought it back.

Shameful confession: I've played Revelations 2 without the laser sights. That was the only RE game where I consciously turned it off (I even used the laser sights in Rev1 and RE5 through mods). Dunno, there was something weird with aiming with the laser sights, at least using mouse, that made it difficult for me to play the game that way.

News Bot

Banned
Now I have to fix my timeline. :/

Also, wait then, who is the "master" being referred to by some of the bad guys in the first two volumes? Has that been revealed? I'd had assumed it was Alex. :|

That's yet to be revealed. It might be Shényā but it might also be Alex's male associate.

It will be. Every RE game is canon, or more accurately features canon, except for RE Gaiden.2

Also Operation Raccoon City and the cell phone games. None of them are canon.

Original storyboards have no bearing on the released product. They put it in the final game, included it in the story, its canon. Being fanservice doesn't stop it being canon.

Or is the RPD not canon because it has screwed up geography? Don't answer that.

It's not the original storyboards I'm talking about. Just that it's not canon.

Level design is not to be taken too seriously, just as killing Zombies in gameplay with chest shots is impossible in the story and isn't to be taken seriously. It's a facet of the game that the developers don't rely on and they have no issue altering it because at the end of the day, level design means little to the plot.

The levels are not designed to fit completely with the story and reality. They're designed to benefit the gameplay in some way. They only design what they need to, which is why there's a distinct lack of bathrooms. Gameplay =/= plot, no matter how slight the connections are. It's an irreconcilable fact, and one that's quite universal in video games. The Metal Gear series is a prime example of easter eggs that have no bearing on the story. Solid Snake pointing to his bandana and saying "infinite ammo" with a smile is one such example. Doesn't mean a thing, it's just a cheeky nod to players. CAPCOM could completely change the areas in the BIO2 remake and it wouldn't matter one bit to the canon.

The 0 lab is not canon. Rebecca and Enrico never set foot in it. It's an easter egg purely for fans that exists practically in a separate space and time from the rest of the game. This isn't difficult to grasp, especially considering how they treat the area not only in 0, but also in Umbrella Chronicles. It's a pure gameplay easter egg with no bearing on the plot at all. It's not meant to make sense because it's separate from the canon, like the vast majority of gameplay in the early games.

Just completed Zero, I didn't mind the lack of item boxes and stuff that most the complaints seem to be, sure it wasn't convenient but it was never to much of an inconvenience in my playthrough. My bigger problem was the terrible voice acting and writing for whenever Wesker and Birkin were around (weirdly I thought Rebecca and Billy sounded perfectly fine) and the story just seemed flimsy even by RE standards.

Jawmuncher

I still wish critically that ORC was a good game. I loved the premise of it. The idea of What-If scenarios for Resident Evil character's would have been pretty cool. Then again a lot of it was handled pretty badly. I recall the coolest part was fighting Nikolai and working with Hunk for that short period. Such a cool idea and they botched it.

Still pains me today. Since ever since I played RE2 and RE3, I always wanted that sort of game. So sad to finally get what you want and it sucks. The game at best manages to be alright if played on easy with friends and doing both campaigns. Enemies not being bullet sponges would have helped it a lot. Really should have been Socom with Zombies.

Grisby

What consoles do you guys usually stick to when it comes to the series? I just ordered parts for a gaming PC (my first ever yay) and while, obviously, the frame rate and such is very enticing for games like RE5 and 6, I still feel like where I've always played RE on Playstation and I have trophy progress that I don't know that I want to "defect" if that makes sense. Most people don't have this problem but I'm extremely OCD when it comes to this stuff. Like I can't have trophy progress for say the remasters on PS4, and Steam achievements for the others. I kind of want that progress map under one Umbrella.
Last gen it was Xbox 360. I've got 4, CVX, ORC, 5, and 6 on there.

Got Revelations 2 for PS4 though. Doesn't really matter, tbh, but I like to keep it all on one system.

Jawmuncher

I know it portrays strictly non-canon events, but I was led to believe that all those merc guys were an established (if lame) part of the lore.

If any of them came back it would probably be Vector. He was the face of that game and the one everyone remembers. A vector and hunk coop game would be cool.

Just completed Zero, I didn't mind the lack of item boxes and stuff that most the complaints seem to be, sure it wasn't convenient but it was never to much of an inconvenience in my playthrough. My bigger problem was the terrible voice acting and writing for whenever Wesker and Birkin were around (weirdly I thought Rebecca and Billy sounded perfectly fine) and the story just seemed flimsy even by RE standards.

Yeah, I had the same complaints. I loved Zero, but the story was not one of the reasons why. Worst main villain out of the classic-style games too. I just couldn't take Marcus seriously at all.

Wesker's voice acting has always seemed terrible to me though, throughout the series. Sorry to the VA but his voice has always just sounded so cheesy and forced to me. It doesn't fit his body and appearance either.

News Bot

Banned
I know it portrays strictly non-canon events, but I was led to believe that all those merc guys were an established (if lame) part of the lore.

They don't exist in the canon.

Vector's backstory has him being trained by HUNK... while HUNK himself was being trained. Just cheap writing all-round for that game. Slant Six Games somehow wrote the worst possible story for a mythology so rich.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I had the same complaints. I loved Zero, but the story was not one of the reasons why. Worst main villain out of the classic-style games too. I just couldn't take Marcus seriously at all.

Wesker's voice acting has always seemed terrible to me though, throughout the series. Sorry to the VA but his voice has always just sounded so cheesy and forced to me. It doesn't fit his body and appearance either.

Yeah my biggest complaint to Zero is definitely the main villain. Marcus just doesn't work. Especially with the clothes and the opera singing. Had they worked it around would have been a good villain role for a female antagonist. Almost feels like that's what they wanted and for whatever reason they went away from it.

As for Wesker, I always felt his VA worked pretty well even across the different actors. In RE1 through 4 it fit the things he was doing. While in 5 it made since for it to be a bit over the top. Dude was losing it by the end of the game. Still really like D.C. Douglas in that role, he made wesker remind me of a MGS Boss, which I didn't see as a bad thing.

What is up with the digital pricing for REmake and Zero on the PC? I don't understand why the cheapest I can find them is £14.99 or so each (ie. Steam) when I can buy them as a physical edition including both from GAME for £19.99!

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/resident...orView&searchTerm=Resident evil&top_category=

Just checked and its a steam key in the box too. So like, another example of fucked pricing here in the UK. Ah well. Ordered.

The UK is always odd for PC pricing. A majority of the time in the steam thread, seems like it's always cheaper to get retail over there than the actual digital code. But in general REmake oddly didn't get much in the way of discounts for the whole year it's been released. 25% off is the lowest I have seen that game go.

Time to die doctor.

I will take over your research!

*evil laugh*

News Bot

Banned
Time to die doctor.

I will take over your research!

*evil laugh*

Blame the hack translator for that. Wesker and Birkin were meant to sound eerily nonchalant in that scene, unaffected by murdering their mentor. Instead they became goofy villains who gloat over him.

Blame the hack translator for that. Wesker and Birkin were meant to sound eerily nonchalant in that scene, unaffected by murdering their mentor. Instead they became goofy villains who gloat over him.

Oh I'm sure. I just finished it tonight and I enjoyed the game, just felt like their dialogue in partiular was bad which is a shame the translator messed that up because they are both very cool characters.

The villain also just seemed super undeveloped.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil Mainline in general seems to be kind of bad when it comes to Villains a lot of the time. Which I think a big factor is because they introduce and kill them in the same game. It's why I hope that maybe Krauser comes back just for the hell of it, since he could pull of being a main villain again. Would be better than another Simmons or Carla. Which I didn't mind them too much. But they still weren't very memorable.

One of the reason why I am so curious about Revelations 2.
Alex Wesker being in a little kid is just the weirdest thing to me for the series. One of those cases where despite everything I have taken with the series, it was the first one where I kind of wondered how they're gonna make this work without being dumb.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I figured that
alex/nathalia
could just be a hands-off mastermind type

joe2187

Banned
Quick reminder since it's Survival horror theme related.

For backers of "Project NightCry" check your emails, they just released a public alpha for download.

Junahu

Level design is not to be taken too seriously, just as killing Zombies in gameplay with chest shots is impossible in the story and isn't to be taken seriously. It's a facet of the game that the developers don't rely on and they have no issue altering it because at the end of the day, level design means little to the plot.

The levels are not designed to fit completely with the story and reality. They're designed to benefit the gameplay in some way. They only design what they need to, which is why there's a distinct lack of bathrooms. Gameplay =/= plot, no matter how slight the connections are. It's an irreconcilable fact, and one that's quite universal in video games. The Metal Gear series is a prime example of easter eggs that have no bearing on the story. Solid Snake pointing to his bandana and saying "infinite ammo" with a smile is one such example. Doesn't mean a thing, it's just a cheeky nod to players. CAPCOM could completely change the areas in the BIO2 remake and it wouldn't matter one bit to the canon.
You talk like level design can't be used to benefit the narrative, or even the emotional pull of the narrative. A huge part of why the Resident Evil franchise is so engaging to play, is picking up on the tiny enviromental clues in order to piece together the specifics of what is happening. This player led discovery is core to the gameplay loop of Resident Evil, so world building and gameplay are intricately linked.

Complaints like geographical inconsistancies are of course meaningless, but not because the design is purely slave to the gameplay. From time to time, designing a location or setpiece realistically makes it harder to actually believe in it. That's because small details, while technically correct in the story, are inconsistant with the pace and emotion of the player experience, and are thus distracting.

There are bathrooms in RE1 because the player is meant to believe it is a mansion, a lived in space. They then slowly piece together that the mansion is more than a little odd, through the rooms they unlock and the puzzles they solve, eventually coming to the discovery that the mansion itself is a facade for a hidden laboratory.
RE2 does not have bathrooms, because the place you explore is an inconsistant mess of a converted museum. There are extravagant puzzles and ornate halls, but also plenty of rooms that are gutted out and made utterly mundane with desks and lockers. The lack of basic ammenities communicates how inconvenient and ramshackle the RPD is as a facility, almost as if parts of it feel corrupted somehow. And this helps set up the characterisation of Chief Irons, allowing the player to get a handle on their personality, purely through the level design and a couple of short notes.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really just hate the idea of
a little kid
being a big bad. Even if it's from a mastermind kind of role. Like who is going to listen to that?

Yeah, true. Though TBH with resources she could do a whole lot with an internet connection and a laptop. She doesn't actually *have* to be wherever the action is. But yeah watching her face-to-face with employees/protagonists might be more like a 70's issue of Batman than RE

Jawmuncher

Yeah, true. Though TBH with resources she could do a whole lot with an internet connection and a laptop. She doesn't actually *have* to be wherever the action is. But yeah watching her face-to-face with employees/protagonists might be more like a 70's issue of Batman than RE

I'm hoping/assuming that capcoms first priority is getting
back into a body that fits
. But then it kind of brings up the point of why even
kill her in the first place
and deal with all of this. To me that was the first moment in the mainline where I felt it was a bit too ridiculous even for RE standards with guys singing to leeches. The same thing goes with little miss as well. Not sure I like the series trying a silent hill face on.

Neiteio

I really just hate the idea of
a little kid
being a big bad. Even if it's from a mastermind kind of role. Like who is going to listen to that?
RER2 spoilers:

The
evil little girl
archetype is a creepy and well-worn trope in the horror genre. It's probably what they have in mind for
Alex Wesker
going forward. Like I said before, though, I could see her ultimately attempting to
steal Sherry's body since it's eternally young and has a healing factor, and since she would learn about Sherry through Claire

News Bot

Banned
You talk like level design can't be used to benefit the narrative, or even the emotional pull of the narrative. A huge part of why the Resident Evil franchise is so engaging to play, is picking up on the tiny enviromental clues in order to piece together the specifics of what is happening. This player led discovery is core to the gameplay loop of Resident Evil, so world building and gameplay are intricately linked.

Complaints like geographical inconsistancies are of course meaningless, but not because the design is purely slave to the gameplay. From time to time, designing a location or setpiece realistically makes it harder to actually believe in it. That's because small details, while technically correct in the story, are inconsistant with the pace and emotion of the player experience, and are thus distracting.

There are bathrooms in RE1 because the player is meant to believe it is a mansion, a lived in space. They then slowly piece together that the mansion is more than a little odd, through the rooms they unlock and the puzzles they solve, eventually coming to the discovery that the mansion itself is a facade for a hidden laboratory.
RE2 does not have bathrooms, because the place you explore is an inconsistant mess of a converted museum. There are extravagant puzzles and ornate halls, but also plenty of rooms that are gutted out and made utterly mundane with desks and lockers. The lack of basic ammenities communicates how inconvenient and ramshackle the RPD is as a facility, almost as if parts of it feel corrupted somehow. And this helps set up the characterisation of Chief Irons, allowing the player to get a handle on their personality, purely through the level design and a couple of short notes.

I agree, I was just talking about that specific case. There is a lot of environment interaction in the early games in particular that help flesh out plot points. Even Gun Survivor uses it to great effect, such as examining a bookcase in a couple's home reveals that they're Umbrella employees simply because the books are all about Umbrella. The fact that they share separate single beds also invites a lot of interpretations that, while the "true" interpretation might be written and bound by the writer's will, the player is allowed to imagine and speculate until the writer stipulates it explicitly. Movies do this a lot too. A lot of world building can be done through a game's environments. It just so happens that this one environment in 0 isn't part of the "world."

Jawmuncher

RER2 spoilers:

The
evil little girl
archetype is a creepy and well-worn trope in the horror genre. It's probably what they have in mind for
Alex Wesker
going forward. Like I said before, though, I could see her ultimately attempting to
steal Sherry's body since it's eternally young and has a healing factor, and since she would learn about Sherry through Claire

I just don't like it. As I said RE for all it's crazy stuff always felt kind of grounded in it's universe and I feel Rev 2 kind of stepped over that line. The idea of
of taking sherry at least could work. Since if Jake was the main protag of said game it could make for some good drama. Since he would obviously not want to hurt her. Plus it could bring in some "Your Father knew what this world needed jake" type dialog from Sherry/Alex
So if they go with that, I could buy it then. Though I feel like such a big plot point would be odd to drop on player in RE7. Since Revelations 2 didn't sell anywhere close to RE6. That was one thing Rev 1 did that I though was good and kind of odd. It had a sort of "To Be Continued" ending but it ended up not being that important for non-players.

Neiteio

I just don't like it. As I said RE for all it's crazy stuff always felt kind of grounded in it's universe and I feel Rev 2 kind of stepped over that line.
It's worth noting that the followers of
Alex Wesker
worship her like a goddess, with her closest servants
even committing suicide for her
, so it's not implausible that her remaining organization would take orders from her
in her new child form

Jawmuncher

It's worth noting that the followers of
Alex Wesker
worship her like a goddess, with her closest servants
even committing suicide for her
, so it's not implausible that her remaining organization would take orders from her
in her new child form

This is what I don't want. But I could see them doing this as well. Would more or less allow them to sort of go back to a RE4 style game. That sort of setting is where I could see this idea working the most.

Neiteio

This is what I don't want. But I could see them doing this as well. Would more or less allow them to sort of go back to a RE4 style game. That sort of setting is where I could see this idea working the most.
More RER2 spoilers:

One reason I really like the idea of
Wesker-possessed Natalia
is because of the family drama it creates. You could have
Barry and/or Moira
and even
Chris and/or Jill (who are practically family, Barry being like a father figure)
trying to find a way to
exorcise the "demon" inside Natalia
. Could make for some tense storytelling beats. Definitely makes for great motivation.

And I think it'd be cool if the villain took advantage of this in an attempt to lure
Claire's friend Sherry Birkin
into her clutches.

Jawmuncher

More RER2 spoilers:

One reason I really like the idea of
Wesker-possessed Natalia
is because of the family drama it creates. You could have
Barry and/or Moira
and even
Chris and/or Jill (who are practically family, Barry being like a father figure)
trying to find a way to
exorcise the "demon" inside Natalia
. Could make for some tense storytelling beats. Definitely makes for great motivation.

And I think it'd be cool if the villain took advantage of this in an attempt to lure
Claire's friend Sherry Birkin
into her clutches.

I guess for me it's just one of those things where capcom would have to REALLY pull it all out for it to work in my book. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, not gonna say they already failed before I see such a game for example.

News Bot

Banned
Alex is mostly likely just going to try conducting the transfer procedure again, having bought a lot more time to find a more suited host (Sherry) and maybe even finally developing her immortality virus using Sherry as a case study. Maybe even iron out the issue with having to only duplicate her consciousness rather than transfer.

Jawmuncher

Too bad there isn't a way for
Alex to legit just become a female version of Albert. I'm talking the powers and everything he had.
. That to me, would be pretty cool. Though I know people didn't like that in RECVX & 5. I always thought the idea of turning the Virus like that was cool. Always made sense to me that it Bio Weapons could be made used in that regard at some point.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Well, Capcom is not afraid to use them in random RE mobile games.
ZTTHCST.jpg

Team Survive was one hell of a thing.

Neiteio

Hey guys, I'm watching footage of Raid in RER1 HD and I notice something I don't remember from the 3DS version: Medals you can shoot for BP. Are these new, and how do they work in the port's Raid?

Top Bottom