• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

RSB

Banned
Even if it's Third Person with a hint of action?
By third person with a hint of action you mean over the shoulder camera and suplexes right? I say it because the original RE2 is already third person with a hint of action.

Anyway, the RE2 Remake should be in the classic style (like REmake) but I'd take OTS camera and suplexes over them making it in the same style as RE7 any day.

Need a Jill game post RE5. It's been 8 years ffs.
Yes please. I'm a bit tired of Chris and Leon, but I'd love to see Jill again (she's my favorite of the old gang)

The RE2 Remake was literally greenlit because of REmake HD's surprise (To Capcom at least.) success, so doing anything else but a REmake kinda remake for 2 would be a recipe for disaster. Overall I probably had more fun with the action REs, but even I'd give Capcom a lot of shit if RE2 became an over the shoulder action game. Even a more subdued one like Revelations would be inacceptable.

Jawmuncher

The RE2 Remake was literally greenlit because of REmake HD's surprise (To Capcom at least.) success, so doing anything else but a REmake kinda remake for 2 would be a recipe for disaster. Overall I probably had more fun with the action REs, but even I'd give Capcom a lot of shit if RE2 became an over the shoulder action game. Even a more subdued one like Revelations would be inacceptable.

I always made the case that even though REmake and RE0 got the game greenlit, this is capcom we're talking about. Who has repeatedly done whatever they want outside any logical reasoning with their IPs all the time. I think it'll depend on what the budget for this title is and if they saw the success of those old games as more something like "Oh people want to revisit the older games in a new shape" rather than "people want the classic style".

Jawmuncher

Wtf is there? Stat guides, the Jill in Regina costume RE3 figure and maybe a soundtrack CD in Japan? Magazine posters?

I don't think the series ever got much.

Yeah it's mostly just Guides and Soundtracks with the majority being in Japan. The rest was just a lot of journalist swag like shirts & a watch.

There's only one official D.C. Figure and it's from namco x capcom

I played Code Veronica another hour and I still really like it. I legit LOL after every cutscene without Steve. When does it get bad?

Bowgun is utter ass though.

kc44135

Eww.....leave it like REmake.
Agreed, and I probably love action RE as much as Jawmuncher does. There hasn't been a classic fixed camera angle RE in 15 years (unless you count Outbreak I guess, but even then, it's been a very long time), and it's time for that style to make return. Also, in general, I think that if Capcom is going to slap "Resident Evil 2" on the box, it should at least resemble RE2, and stay true to it's core concepts. By all means, improve and expand on the original game ( just as REmake did), but keep it's core formula intact.
I would still play REmake 2 if it was an action game or in first-person or whatever, but I would indeed be very disappointed in Capcom should that happen.
I played Code Veronica another hour and I still really like it. I legit LOL after every cutscene without Steve. When does it get bad?

It doesn't get bad. It's a good game with some seriously great level design. It just has some pacing issues, is all (arguably a few too many puzzles and a bit too much backtracking as the game wears on). Also, you're mistaken about the Bowgun, just so y'know. It's by far the best weapon in the game... with explosive powder. You've probably noticed how quickly it fires, and when the bolts are combined with the powder, the Bowgun puts out higher DPS than anything else in the game, even the Magnum. It can shred any boss in seconds, but you'll only find five powders (for a total of 50 shots), so you gotta use 'em sparingly.

BadWolf

Agreed, and I probably love action RE as much as Jawmuncher does. There hasn't been a classic fixed camera angle RE in 15 years (unless you count Outbreak I guess, but even then, it's been a very long time), and it's time for that style to make return. Also, in general, I think that if Capcom is going to slap "Resident Evil 2" on the box, it should at least resemble RE2, and stay true to it's core concepts. By all means, improve and expand on the original game ( just as REmake did), but keep it's core formula intact.
I would still play REmake 2 if it was an action game or in first-person or whatever, but I would indeed be very disappointed in Capcom should that happen.

Ideally it should be like REmake, both in terms of style and quality...

... but I wouldn't say no to an action RE2 with some Leon/Claire co-op goodness (original RE2 already had plenty of action to begin with).

It doesn't get bad. It's a good game with some seriously great level design. It just has some pacing issues, is all (arguably a few too many puzzles and a bit too much backtracking as the game wears on). Also, you're mistaken about the Bowgun, just so y'know. It's by far the best weapon in the game... with explosive powder. You've probably noticed how quickly it fires, and when the bolts are combined with the powder, the Bowgun puts out higher DPS than anything else in the game, even the Magnum. It can shred any boss in seconds, but you'll only find five powders (for a total of 50 shots), so you gotta use 'em sparingly.

Word. Yeah I found one bowgun powder already and promptly put the explosive arrows in the item box for later since I figured they shouldn't be used on dogs or some shit.

Mr_Zombie

When does it get bad?

The game has way more linear leavels design than other RE games (there's no hub like the main hall in RE1 or RE2), so going back and forth between various locations can get a bit annoying. Also, there are various places in the game where you can easily corner yourself for good, or realize that you can't pick a certain weapon because of a completely unrelated action you did (or rather didn't do) hours ago.

The game never gets really bad, it's just there are a lot of little annoyances that shows it isn't as polished as the PS1 trilogy.

I'm one of those crazy people who really like CV and 0, though of course not quite as much as the first 3, I'm just a sucker for this franchise.
I fucking hate Steve though. Fortunately Claire is there, using all her awesomeness to distract my brain while Steve is spouting his nonesense, quite a feat that a lesser character wouldn't be able to achieve, considering Steve's levels of pure annoyance.

I'm one of those crazy people who really like CV and 0, though of course not quite as much as the first 3, I'm just a sucker for this franchise.
I fucking hate Steve though. Fortunately Claire is there, using all her awesomeness to distract my brain while Steve is spouting his nonesense, quite a feat that a lesser character wouldn't be able to achieve, considering Steve's levels of pure annoyance.

Robo-Claire: "I - need - those. Give - them - to - meee."

The entire VA in that game is exceptionally bad, much worse than RE2 and 3 actually.

Okay fuck these long armed enemies. If they acted as occasional minibosses it would be fine, but these mother fuckers are everywhere! They even get you from off screen before you even know they're in the room wtf. What's the best way to deal with them, because I feel like I can fight them without tanking a bunch of damage?

Also is there any way to get Claire's lighter back? Because it's annoying going up the three flights of stairs in the Ashford home getting swarmed by those dudes every time.

The lead up to the Ashford house was one of the most atmospheric moments in the series though, rivaling even going to Lisa Trevor's cabin in REmake. Loved it.

kc44135

Okay fuck these long armed enemies. If they acted as occasional minibosses it would be fine, but these mother fuckers are everywhere! They even get you from off screen before you even know they're in the room wtf. What's the best way to deal with them, because I feel like I can fight them without tanking a bunch of damage?

Also is there any way to get Claire's lighter back? Because it's annoying going up the three flights of stairs in the Ashford home getting swarmed by those dudes every time.

The lead up to the Ashford house was one of the most atmospheric moments in the series though, rivaling even going to Lisa Trevor's cabin in REmake. Loved it.

Ah, the Bandersnatchers. Yeah, they can be annoying. Bowgun with explosive bolts are the best, but you'll probably want to save them for bosses. Personally, I run right right up to them, veering to the left so as to hopefully avoid their attacks, and then I open up on them point blank with the grenade launcher (any round will do, but regular nade's are the most common, so I use those). If that doesn't instantly kill them, I pull out my Handgun and kill them with a single shot from that.

Also, there's no way to get the Lighter back, unfortunately. You've either got to shoot the bats, or run/tank the damage. You can get some cool stuff with the lockpick now, though. :)

Ah, the Bandersnatchers. Yeah, they can be annoying. Bowgun with explosive bolts are the best, but you'll probably want to save them for bosses. Personally, I run right right up to them, veering to the left so as to hopefully avoid their attacks, and then I open up on them point blank with the grenade launcher (any round will do, but regular nade's are the most common, so I use those). If that doesn't instantly kill them, I pull out my Handgun and kill them with a single shot from that.

Also, there's no way to get the Lighter back, unfortunately. You've either got to shoot the bats, or run/tank the damage. You can get some cool stuff with the lockpick now, though. :)

I don't have a grenade launcher yet :/ or even a shotgun for that matter :/

Robo-Claire: "I - need - those. Give - them - to - meee."

The entire VA in that game is exceptionally bad, much worse than RE2 and 3 actually.

Yeah.
Acting in videogames has come a long way, I feel that this fact isn't appreciated enough by most people.
I still love listening to Claire in RE2 though.

Yeah.
Acting in videogames has come a long way, I feel that this fact isn't appreciated enough by most people.
I still love listening to Claire in RE2 though.

There was a certain charme to it in RE2, the VA in that game as a whole was kinda on the good side of campy and bad, while in CV it's just annoying. That being said, Claire's old VA seems like a bad voice actress in general, so I'm not too bothered by her getting replaced in REV2 and the upcoming RE2 Remake.

It's amazing the jump in voice acting from RE 1 to RE 2. RE 2 ain't good, but they clearly gave the VA team more than a ham sandwich as a budget.

fdfa675864a3f328e0a3a321d93aaf8c.gif

Lol, you can even tell by most of their body language that they don't want to be there. And yet, those few seconds of Wesker are more entertaining to me then the entirety of Simmons screen time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I'm a big fan of RECVX.

I like the way actual 3D fixed camera view and for some reason, I like the early-PS2 looking graphics. Basically I like how CVX looks.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here have Resident Evil: The Book? (I'd buy it from you if so, in essentially any condition). It was apparently sold alongside the PS1 release or one of the re-releases many moons ago at game retailers.

The book itself is a partial translation of the True Story Behind Biohazard book minus the Mikami interview, which had a prequel short story to the original game. The RE version of the book is fairly westernized in its translation, so I'd recommend the fan re-translation from the original Japanese instead.

cGa1ubt.png

I picked up RE4 today (PS4 version). I have never played it, and never even played through an entire RE game. Played some of the first one and maybe 5 hours of RE5 (which didn't really grab me).

I know this game is revered and want to see what all the fuss is about.

Any tips or things I should know before I start? Or just go in blind?

I picked up RE4 today (PS4 version). I have never played it, and never even played through an entire RE game. Played some of the first one and maybe 5 hours of RE5 (which didn't really grab me).

The PS4 version defaults to a new button config, which is pretty much modern shooter controls, left and right trigger to aim and shoot, right stick to aim, etc. But if you feel like you're struggling with the controls in general, changing to the original control type (I think it's Type III.) the one where you draw your gun with R1, shoot with square and aim with the left stick, might help. Because the game still operates on tank controls like the classic RE games, with no strafing, limited camera control and you can't move at all while you're aiming, putting modern shooter controls on top just feels weird.

Mr_Zombie

Yeah, this is one of those "didn't anyone at development team realize this is annyoing?" things the game is filled with.

Also, the early PS2 graphics in CVX doesn't hold up very well. PS1 graphics, with its low-poly and prerendered graphics has its charm; early PS2 3D, with empty rooms, flat low-res textures and simple lighting does not. This game really deserves a remake; the CVX portion in Darkside Chronicles looked great and it's a shame that it was "wasted" and used only in a rail-shooter :/

Damn, this game is positively sprawling. Not only are each individual levels pretty huge, but I'm still revisiting and discovering new things (and seeing things I'll have to return for later) in the early sub-areas quite a few hours in already. It takes the back-tracking and key item gated progression aspect of Resident Evil to its absolute zenith. I can absolutely see why that would drive some people mad, since it definitely slows the pace down compared to the other classic titles,but as an exploration of how far they could push that aspect of the formula I quite enjoy it -- especially after how streamlined 7 was in its level and puzzle design. It's almost hard to keep track of all the paths I need to explore and random doo-dads to slot in, particularly when you sometimes won't get the unlocking item for a door you saw many hours ago. But it certainly is high on the quotient of satisfaction you get from finally unlocking new areas you get with these games.

Finally got the grenade launcher, too got damn. I was pretty shocked at how hard they make it to find, esepcially given how crucial it is to dealing with these fucking bandersnatches (bandersnatchi?).

Shootem' in the head or knee, roundhouse kick all day every day

Look for bird nests and shoot them

RSB

Banned
I haven't played Code Veronica in forever (I played it on the Dreamcast back in the early 2000's)

I remember not liking it all that much, but if they put the HD Remaster on Xbox One BC I'd pick it up to play it again.

So, I was in one of those "favorite design" threads when my mind turned to RE. So, what are your guys/gals favorite designs of each character (at least for characters who have more than one outfit)?

Leon S. Kennedy

latest

Best outfit for singing Kumbaya and playing bingo.

Jill Valentine

jill-fb.jpg

Resident-Evil-Umbrella-Chronicles-jill-valentine-18360401-621-1024.jpg

Of course I really like her OG outfit from RE 1 and REmake, but I really like her BSAA outfit as well.

Chris Redfield

It's a pretty simple outfit, but Chris makes it look good here.

Ada Wong

Completely non-practical for the job at hand, but still somehow very fitting for the character.

Albert Wesker

latest

The completely leather outfit just fits the overall ridiculousness of Wesker in RE 5. Mother fucker wears sunglasses at night. He don't care.

Claire Redfield

latest

Although not a game, I really like this from the manga

latest

Sherry Birkin

latest

Helena Harper

latest

Barry Burton

Jake Muller

Jawmuncher

The realistic style of RE7 was a mistake when you look at all of that. Though funny enough the renders of said characters from RE7 kind of fit well with these outside chris. Since they're more styilized there than they are in game.

Lucas:
https://image.redbull.com/rbcom/010...1/1080/1/lucas-é-o-filho-da-família-baker.jpg

Jack:
(I can't find this one, but it's the one where he's surrounded by fire and is holding the gun to his head)

Margarita:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...94_03_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170126075246

BadWolf

The realistic style of RE7 was a mistake when you look at all of that. Though funny enough the renders of said characters from RE7 kind of fit well with these outside chris.

They aimed way too hard at the western audience with RE7 tbh.

It feels like a game made by a western studio.

Jawmuncher

They aimed way too hard at the western audience with RE7 tbh.

It feels like a game made by a western studio.

The sales seem to reflect that going by just steam alone. The ratio of US to other regions is the largest of any RE title. Then there's the whole Nier outselling RE7 on steam, which is just crazy to me.

I do hope the next games have a bit more of that Japanese touch to them. Though I understand why it's lacking in RE7. I'm just saying I don't think I can deal with a ton of REs being like that tonally and style wise (not gameplay wise)

Jawmuncher

Isn't it cuz first person games are way more popular in the US?

Thats more than likely a big factor to it. FPS isn't a big sell in Asian countries for whatever reason (I know in Japan's case a lot of the country is apparently easily made motion sick with that stuff.)

I would also argue though that it does fall back a bit on just Horror as a genre as we are in this point of time. It's a harder sell especially in China where they're eating up action left and right. As a bit of a measure Resident Evil The Final Chapters gross was primarily made in China. Movie would've basically bombed if not for them (Though to be fair they're basically saving every action Hollywood movie as of late).

Top Bottom