• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Mr Croft

He died. His corpse was used as a source of t-Veronica by Umbrella's rival company, then he was likely disposed of. He had no chance of coming back. Only the G-Virus could revive the dead at that point, and the result was only a G-Zombie. That's the significance of Wesker's line about Claire maybe seeing him again, it's a cruel joke to suggest she'll meet him again as a mindless monster.

Thanks for the clarification. I would really like to see Rebecca in another main game.

Neiteio

He died. His corpse was used as a source of t-Veronica by Umbrella's rival company, then he was likely disposed of. He had no chance of coming back. Only the G-Virus could revive the dead at that point, and the result was only a G-Zombie. That's the significance of Wesker's line about Claire maybe seeing him again, it's a cruel joke to suggest she'll meet him again as a mindless monster.
News Bot, I appreciate your encyclopedic knowledge of the lore (sincerely), but I'm often left wondering what you think of the RE titles as games.

Which installments are your favorites? Which characters do you love? Creatures? Scenarios? Moments? Heck, even alternate costumes?

I'm genuinely interested since you're clearly passionate about the series, but I only ever see you weighing in on the story. I like seeing people geek out about things they like, so feel free to opine on the other stuff, too! :)

News Bot

Banned
News Bot, I appreciate your encyclopedic knowledge of the lore (sincerely), but I'm often left wondering what you think of the RE titles as games.

Which installments are your favorites? Which characters do you love? Creatures? Scenarios? Moments? Heck, even alternate costumes?

I'm genuinely interested since you're clearly passionate about the series, but I only ever see you weighing in on the story. I like seeing people geek out about things they like, so feel free to opine on the other stuff, too! :)

The story is the only aspect I really enjoy talking about, haha.

Neiteio

The story is the only aspect I really enjoy talking about, haha.
That's cool and all, but I'm really curious to know your thoughts on everything else, if it's not too much to ask. Like which installment do you like playing the most, for starters? I like that you're passionate about the series, and when people are passionate I always like to know their favorites (even if they don't line up with mine)!

Lunafreya

I recently bought all of the Resident Evil The Marhawa Desire manga volumes (5 in total) and it has been quite the fun read, I regret not finishing it sooner.

It honestly shed new light on RE6 for me in some manner, it made me appreciate it more story and character development wise.

If you want to expand your RE lore knowledge I'd highly recommend reading it and Heavenly Island! ( I'm liking Heavenly Island a bit more but MD is still worth it. )

News Bot

Banned
Heavenly Island is so far well written. Multiple perspectives, a perfect amount of references and returning plots and characters, decent mystery rooted in new plot threads as well as Umbrella, and above all... the story is simple. That's important. There's no global threat by an evil organization. It's a small, isolated incident delving into Umbrella's past.

The series needs more simple stories like this and The Stage. It needs to scale back and focus on substance rather than spectacle. Hopefully the new CG movie follows that route with its isolated mansion setting. I wouldn't mind a "reimagining" of the Spencer Mansion. A completely different but just as memorable building maintaining the same tone and feel of the original. Chris and Rebecca's presence will already trigger great nostalgia.

Lunafreya

Heavenly Island is so far well written. Multiple perspectives, a perfect amount of references and returning plots and characters, decent mystery rooted in new plot threads as well as Umbrella, and above all... the story is simple. That's important. There's no global threat by an evil organization. It's a small, isolated incident delving into Umbrella's past.

The series needs more simple stories like this and The Stage. It needs to scale back and focus on substance rather than spectacle. Hopefully the new CG movie follows that route with its isolated mansion setting. I wouldn't mind a "reimagining" of the Spencer Mansion. A completely different but just as memorable building maintaining the same tone and feel of the original. Chris and Rebecca's presence will already trigger great nostalgia.

Yes, from what I've read it gives more backstory on Umbrella and shows that it's still relevant like it should be. Umbrella to me at least story wise, has always been one of the major pillars of RE's overall lore and essence.

I'd love to see more stories go to abandoned Umbrella facilities or perhaps a secretly operated one in the future games, the new CG movie certainly looks intriguing I hope they showcase trailers soon, I expect at least some more information next month for that and RE7/REmake 2.

Edit: News Bot, where did you read Volume. 3 of Heavenly Island by the way?
I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Ludens

Banned
Completed RE3, didn't remember it, but it's the chapter I like less. I don't like the "freedom" you have while exploring Raccoon City, because it translates into a lot of backtracking, zombies respawn, Nemesis always chasing you, expecially if, like me, you don't use a guide and you visit all locations to search for stuff, even if you don't need to (like the Raccoon Press after you grab the jewel into the restaurant).
Also Nemesis on Hard is way too powerful, he pretty much killed me everytime he showed up, even because too ofter he spawns into small locations, like in the corridor with three dogs into the RCPD. If you run, he run too, so he always manage to strike you at least once.

For preferring to talk about one element over another, net necessarily only liking that element?

Not just preferring to talk about one element, but ONLY ever talking about one element to the point of straight up ignoring someone's questions about any of the other aspects lol. Like its cool you're really really into Resident Evil's writing, but these are good games, my man.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yes, from what I've read it gives more backstory on Umbrella and shows that it's still relevant like it should be. Umbrella to me at least story wise, has always been one of the major pillars of RE's overall lore and essence.

I'd love to see more stories go to abandoned Umbrella facilities or perhaps a secretly operated one in the future games, the new CG movie certainly looks intriguing I hope they showcase trailers soon, I expect at least some more information next month for that and RE7/REmake 2.

Edit: News Bot, where did you read Volume. 3 of Heavenly Island by the way?
I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You can find some raws around the net, but no scanlations as far as I know.

Neiteio

*holds back Fancy Clown*

It's OK, my friend.

I, too, wish News Bot would let us know which games he loves, and why. Heck, his favorite RE could be Operation Raccoon City for all I care. I just want to know what captures the imagination of our fellow RE fan, who is clearly so passionate about the series, but who only talks about the story aspect.

But I'm not going to make him feel guilty about it.

*Neiteio hobbles along on Tiny Tim crutches, coughing a polio cough, barely able to stand since News Bot is cruel and won't talk about games, and therefore is probably racist and kicks puppies*

News Bot, pls, tell us your favorite installments and why

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want to get into a heated debate over which is the best and worst crank item the series has had to date,

The story in Resident Evil I enjoy for what it is, but I take it at a value of it being a bit more hammy and a story that's pretty straight-forward but with a lot of details to dig into for those who enjoy to do so. I find the part of Resident Evil that sticks out the most to me is its scenario and design; if there's one thing that RE6 was missing, it was rooms/small areas lacking personality. The reason I think REmake and Resident Evil 4 are exceptional games are because each room feels personalized and designed with some interesting idea(s) behind it, be it some small detail, some puzzle, some thematic, whatever. Even the rooms where nothing really happens has some personality to it. But more-so, they build a lot of interesting gameplay scenarios off some pretty simple mechanics and stretch it to fantastically impossible heights without limiting too much to realism. If they want the housing to have a giant shark aquarium and an overgrown killer plant, then why not? Who cares if the poor shanty farmer town has a bagged-head chainsaw maniac met right away and many trip wire mines and explosives and prepped a giant boulder for just such an occasion? The scenarios at face value are goofy, but they tie it with a simple yet detailed and connected narrative, mixed with good sound design and pacing, and simply make it fun and surprisingly immersive that you don't get drawn out of it, it instead can easily pull you in and accept whatever absurd thing because such out-there ideas feel more natural because the areas and the world feel like they have personality, and manage to be fun with their diversity and ungrounded possibilities.

Neff

IIRC Bot's favourite is RE3, because of the story.

He also likes 1 and 2, because of the story.

He's not that keen on the others, because of the story.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just realized that's why RE fans can be so cranky sometimes.

The series is full of cranks!

Oh my, it all makes sense now.

Also, I understand this may partially be on localization, but one story thing I don't see mentioned often enough. While it sometimes can be shameless, I like how Capcom will define a few character random quirky traits for each of the Resident Evil characters and just roll with it through the whole series. Some are super obvious, but others are fairly subtle. The Resident Evil characters aren't very complex characters, but they obviously are doing something right because the characters themselves have so many fans. I think they have enough personality to be likable, but open enough canvases to be somewhat expressed upon whatever people see in them.

One of the subtler character elements I like out of Leon as an example (he's among my favorites, hush) is he is the one who always gets the role to say, "Shoot em' in the head." Ever since RE4, he has literally said it in almost every single Resident Evil appearance he's had with zombies in it, including the CG films, and there's no other character who says it, it's always Leon and he always delivers it in this specific way that both Paul & Mathew deliver in the same way, so its obviously an intended line and delivery for Leon to always deliver as some weird character trait.

I remembered this trait when I was posting the files the other day in this thread about Sherry and Claire's relationship, I don't know if this example is quite as intentful as the things I mentioned, but in a message from Leon he talks about during the Raccoon City incident he talks about he thought about giving up, but makes sure to emphasize he was low on hope, and had thought about ending it several times, "with just a quick bullet to the head."

Neiteio

IIRC Bot's favourite is RE3, because of the story.

He also likes 1 and 2, because of the story.

He's not that keen on the others, because of the story.
56029917.jpg

But seriously, News Bot, stop being such a mystery wrapped in a riddle encased in an enigma.

Geek out about your favorite shit. NOW.

*stamps feet and pouts*

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
But seriously, News Bot, stop being such a mystery wrapped in a riddle encased in an enigma.

Geek out about your favorite shit. NOW.

*stamps feet and pouts*

I feel like he's done this elsewhere, maybe the PU forums. He used to turn up at gamefaqs, too, though that was mainly because there's always somebody at gamefaqs ready for a lore "argument."

If you're willing to to be creepy internet guy, I'm sure you can find the answers you seek.

EDIT:
I want to get into a heated debate over which is the best and worst crank item the series has had to date,
Finally, someone who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions

Neiteio

I feel like he's done this elsewhere, maybe the PU forums. He used to turn up at gamefaqs, too, though that was mainly because there's always somebody at gamefaqs ready for a lore "argument."

If you're willing to to be creepy internet guy, I'm sure you can find the answers you seek.
Ha, I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or persecuted. I love everyone. But that's why I like to know what they like!

News Bot knows the mythos inside and out, so he's probably been following the series from the beginning. Usually people who started with RE1 have a soft spot for the old-school games. So maybe he prefers the gameplay of RE1, RE2, RE3, etc.

I've become oddly fixated on this. The greatest mystery in the RE mythos is which RE title News Bot likes best for its gameplay, lol.

Neiteio

pshhh who even plays the RE games for their gameplay?
*News Bot reads this. His eyes widen.*

"These are... games?!" he asks.

*He looks at his TV. Jill is still standing in the main foyer at the start of REmake. He looks down at the controller. A bead of sweat forms on his forehead.*

*Slowly... cautiously... he reaches down... and nudges the analog stick.*

*Onscreen, Jill moves slightly to the left*

"My god!" News Bot exclaims.

kamineko

I mean, I want gameplay and story for sure, but I've spent a lot of time reading up on the characters, world, and storyline--I feel pretty invested. I stopped enjoying RE6 halfway through, probably should have taken a break, but interest in the RE universe kept me from stopping.

(though I really should have waited for the QTE patches, would have changed that first playthrough so much)

Neiteio

I'm getting flashbacks to kindergarten, when I probably originally met News Bot.

*dreamy flashback waves and harp sound*

Kid Neiteio (with overalls and propeller cap): "So Newsy, what's your favorite dinosaur. I like raptors!"

Kid News Bot: "Eh, I'd rather not talk about it."

Kid Neiteio: "But... but..."

Kid News Bot: *yawns deeply*

Kid Neiteio: *grits teeth and rattles desk*

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Neiteio, you may be the most unique member on GAF.

Ralemont

not me
Always wonder what happened to this Jill

2713736-5057647276-30227.jpg

She probably wandered the Arklay Mountains until the nuke hit. Too bad her low-poly doppleganger fooled everyone

Neiteio

He went on to have homoerotic volleyball games with Tom Cruise
Now that's what RE needs. Beach volleyball set to Axel F with denim short-shorts and Eddie Murphy in the background laughing "Hyuck hyuck hyuck."

(I know I'm mixing and matching my '80s movies)

Neiteio

Oh wow

Check out this Ghost Ship run

It's a trinity run — so he gets the genocide bonus and everything. AND he does it without the gluttony or auto-loader perks. Does it in 56 minutes.

Pirate Jill, too. Nice.

EDIT: I wonder why he has the music disabled, though. His other runs feature the in-game music.

kamineko

Oh wow

Check out this Ghost Ship run

It's a trinity run — so he gets the genocide bonus and everything. AND he does it without the gluttony or auto-loader perks. Does it in 56 minutes.

Pirate Jill, too. Nice.

EDIT: I wonder why he has the music disabled, though. His other runs feature the in-game music.

Incredible run. I've added to the OP. If any GAF members have vids of impressive gameplay, please share (Even better if you are the player).

Neiteio

Incredible run. I've added to the OP. If any GAF members have vids of impressive gameplay, please share (Even better if you are the player).
Should probably mention it's a solo run, too. My friend and I barely scraped by Ghost Ship in the vanilla version (so no Wall Blisters, etc), and we were using the better perks. And we just took the best path we could deduce. The guy I linked goes through the entire ship and slaughters everyone, by himself, with no gluttony or auto-loader perks. Amazing.

vilmer_

Always wonder what happened to this Jill

2713736-5057647276-30227.jpg

She probably wandered the Arklay Mountains until the nuke hit. Too bad her low-poly doppleganger fooled everyone

The one, true Jill Valentine. To this day nobody knows who she is. At least we now know who her voice actor was lol.

Neiteio

The one, true Jill Valentine. To this day nobody knows who she is. At least we now know who her voice actor was lol.
Her body is probably stuffed and on display in Mikami's basement, accessible only if you have three crests and the correct crank, and if you push around statues in the right order.

h0tp0ck3t

I want to get into a heated debate over which is the best and worst crank item the series has had to date

Code Veronica best for sure! It starts off square, but you can drill it to make it round, then conveniently find an attachment to make it square again! So much utility!

Edit: Wait no that was the Valve Handle! Fail Xp

Zero-ELEC

Banned
is there a summary of what happened in that? you make it sound like there is

There might be one somewhere in the Project Umbrella or Biohaze forums. If you want, though you can buy the official DVD which, reportedly, has English subtitles. It's only ¥7,000. :p

FAKE EDIT: Small summary by CVXFreak.

REAL EDIT: Bullet point for DVD description is "★英語字幕付き" so yeah, English subs. Wonder if they're any good...

News Bot

Banned
Not just preferring to talk about one element, but ONLY ever talking about one element to the point of straight up ignoring someone's questions about any of the other aspects lol. Like its cool you're really really into Resident Evil's writing, but these are good games, my man.

Absolutely they're great games, I like most for different reasons. I've just talked myself out on the other elements to the point where I find talking about them mind numbing.

BIO3 is my absolute favorite in the series, though. It has everything.

Neiteio

Absolutely they're great games, I like most for different reasons. I've just talked myself out on the other elements to the point where I find talking about them mind numbing.

Fair enough. :)

Jawmuncher

I agree with News Bot on the story front. RE3 to me is still the best story wise and to me is the best Survival Horror style wise (RE5 is my favorite overall title though). It really does have everything. Not to mention the tone and atmosphere all go together quite well with it.

I can buy that haha. Nemesis is so good, I always shake my head when people talk shit about it. It's not my absolute favorite, but like you said it has everything. Even the story is fun (another aspect people shit talk). Plus Jill is best. It's got my man the poet of the apocalypse, that automatically makes it awesome.

Top Bottom