• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

I don't doubt it, but I think he meant a DLC where you play what Barry is doing inbetween meeting Jill etc. Would be a cool side story.
That would be fun. My favorite playthrough of the original was when I used my action replay on deadly silence to replace Chris south Barry and had an infinite magnum. Too good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why are they playing RE5 though?

I'll walk myself out.

I just beat RE5 for the first time co-oping with my dad a few weeks ago and it was a damn good game! Had some BS boss fights but overall the game's awesome.

And Mercenaries can't be topped, that game modes the best.

I just beat RE5 for the first time co-oping with my dad a few weeks ago and it was a damn good game! Had some BS boss fights but overall the game's awesome.

And Mercenaries can't be topped, that game modes the best.

Yep. It's really just in single player campaign that RE5 lets itself down. It's a great co-op game, and mercenaries is great in single player.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Would be nice to have these costumes from the get go. But I know they'll be in the closet.

Is the closet the door
behind the painting of the mansion
? I'm playing through REmake currently (put about 5 more hours in last night!) and I read a note about that door and can't find a way in.

Also, can anyone tell me how close I am to beating the game? I just
refused to give barry back his gun

BasilZero

Awesome that the Contagion event thing got to 100% so we can get the costumes.

Will be great to play RE Remastered with them :)

Is the closet the door
behind the painting of the mansion
? I'm playing through REmake currently (put about 5 more hours in last night!) and I read a note about that door and can't find a way in.

Also, can anyone tell me how close I am to beating the game? I just
refused to give barry back his gun

The
painting opens up with a key you receive upon beating the game

For how far you are, you are
in the home stretch of the game
. How's it been so far, Alo? :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The
painting opens up with a key you receive upon beating the game

For how far you are, you are
in the home stretch of the game
. How's it been so far, Alo? :D

Thanks for the info.

It's been really damned good. The whole time I was playing yesterday my SO was sitting on the couch doing homework as every once in a while she would just hear "Fuck!" or "Oh shit shit SHIT!" when I got caught off gaurd.

There was a great moment where my SO finished homework and sat next to me to watch me play, and I walked down the
dog hallway when they popped out
and she FREAKED THE FUCK OUT screaming so loud! We;ve got a pet hedgehog which is a nocturnal animal and we checked on it after the scare and it was rolled up tight in a spiky ball because it was scared from the scream.

So REmake through a chain of events scared me, my SO, and our pet.

Excited that I've almost beaten it, but sort of sour that it's gonna be over!

bhhd_cos.jpg

So good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I just beat REmake and something interesting to note is that after you beat it, if you start another play through you have the difficulty options of Easy, Normal, and Hard. So they may not actually be making a new "easy" difficulty, but instead letting you use the one you unlock after beating the game without having to complete the game.

The other alternative is that the original "Mountain Climbing vs Hiking" is actually normal vs easy, as opposed to hard vs normal.

Either way, it looks like all 3 difficulties were in the original game by default.

Seyavesh

I think the most interesting thing about this will be when someone model dumps the REmaster Chris in BSAA uniform and import him into RE5, so people can finally play RE5 without a steroid filled monster!

i'm assuming that the costume is just literally the flashback chris from lost in nightmares

if that's the case then you can just do that with mods already - the model for chris flashback is already in the game because it draws on it for certain cutscenes

I think the most interesting thing about this will be when someone model dumps the REmaster Chris in BSAA uniform and import him into RE5, so people can finally play RE5 without a steroid filled monster!
RE5 Chris is the best Chris, now and forever. It's his iconic look and I'm damn glad it is.

This is just his Lost in Nightmares outfit, which is pretty plain. At least he'll be scruffy now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think they'll use a separate Lost in Nightmares Chris model when they implement it in game. Those screens they're showing above are just the RE5 versions. I imagine that when it's actually implemented in game, it'll be typical "average physique" Chris but with the BSAA costume.

Also, I actually don't have anything against hulk Chris, just think it would be an interesting playthrough to have if you could get all the mouths and stuff to map correctly.

Sectus

So I just beat REmake and something interesting to note is that after you beat it, if you start another play through you have the difficulty options of Easy, Normal, and Hard. So they may not actually be making a new "easy" difficulty, but instead letting you use the one you unlock after beating the game without having to complete the game.

The other alternative is that the original "Mountain Climbing vs Hiking" is actually normal vs easy, as opposed to hard vs normal.

Either way, it looks like all 3 difficulties were in the original game by default.

REmaster has 4 difficulties in total: very easy, easy, normal, and hard. And as someone mentioned, the "mountain climbing and hiking" is about easy and normal. It wouldn't make sense to unlock an easier difficulty when beating the game anyway.

Mengetsu

While I like DC Douglas' Wesker, he wouldn't fit. Unlike RE5 Wesker, who was your classic comic book villain, REmake Wesker was calm, serious and collected.
I get where your coming for sure. RE0 in umbrella chronicles his voice felt fine and that was before the mansion. I guess it varies. I've played then all and I still have a soft spot for Code Veronica Wesker. DC is GOAT in my opinion.

Jawmuncher

I refuse to play the game now unless I have those costumes.
BSAA Chris and Jill are the best. Hopefully on PC there will be a way to just start with them from the get go.
No key or room to use a costume.

BSAA Chris and Jill are the best. Hopefully on PC there will be a way to just start with them from the get go.

Just give us Regina or the Dino Crisis costume for Jill too please!

Trailer showing BSAA costumes: http://youtu.be/WuzTlYp2X3M

And those are RE5 models of Chris and Jill. Hunky Chris FTW :D

Chris looks so out of place with his RE5 model. If I'm a boulder-punching hunk of muscles, where's the tension of being dropped into this horrifying situation? You look like Superman.

I know it's a bonus costume but it also reflects on current Capcom not understanding what makes RE RE when you put those two games together.

Did you see how freakin' wide he is in that corridor? You can't dodge anything.

Chris looks so out of place with his RE5 model. If I'm a boulder-punching hunk of muscles, where's the tension of being dropped into this horrifying situation? You look like Superman.

I know it's a bonus costume but it also reflects on current Capcom not understanding what makes RE RE when you put those two games together.

Wonder if the hitbox is larger?!

Mr_Zombie

It's a bonus costume. It makes as much sense for a "boulder-punching hunk" being scared of the situation as it is for Jill to walk on a mission wearing a mini-skirt and a tube top.

Not to mention, no matter how muscular you are, one bite from a zombie can still infect you, and a Hunter can still chop your head off. :p

I wonder how will it affect cut-scenes.

Dai101

Banned

Yup. I hope once you unlocked them you can choose which outfit you want to start the game with but always having the option to use the room anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
BSAA Chris is the best Chris design. Pre-RE5 Chris always looked a bit boring, RE5 Chris looked too bulky, and RE6 Chris was showing his age. BSAA Chris is like the best of all worlds.

Seyavesh

While I like DC Douglas' Wesker, he wouldn't fit. Unlike RE5 Wesker, who was your classic comic book villain, REmake Wesker was calm, serious and collected.

idk, wesker from step 1 has always been a hammy weirdo

see him getting all hot and bothered about tyrant in re1 and remake

or revealing his entire plan when asked because ?????

i feel like re5 wesker is the natural evolution of the wesker shown in re1/remake. a huge hammy weirdo who thinks he's awesome

seriously this is cv wesker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIf_HsmOyL4#t=5m

really the only game where i think he's shown as a super serious calm guy is RE4

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
11 minutes of new footage of the PS4 version:

Jill gameplay

Chris gameplay

UI seems cleaned up and the graphics aren't half-bad I suppose.

Ok THAT is a pretty good gameplay video ..

- No crushed blacks or super high saturation
- Scrolling backgrounds actually look very natural, don't feel like something is being cut
- Backgrounds themselves look pretty sharp, doesn't look like a simple upscale algorithm, they've definitely tweaked and cleaned up the backgrounds, if not go all the way and redrew them. (otherwise it'd be a re-remake).

The only thing looking out of place is the characters insta-turning, the new control scheme i mean. Looks like it'll make zombie dodging too easy.

Hopefully Ps3 version is just like this (albeit at 720p).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It looks better than I was expecting given that they aren't re-rendering the backgrounds.

Ok THAT is a pretty good gameplay video ..

- No crushed blacks or super high saturation
- Scrolling backgrounds actually look very natural, don't feel like something is being cut
- Backgrounds themselves look pretty sharp, doesn't look like a simple upscale algorithm, they've definitely tweaked and cleaned up the backgrounds, if not go all the way and redrew them. (otherwise it'd be a re-remake).

The only thing looking out of place is the characters insta-turning, the new control scheme i mean. Looks like it'll make zombie dodging too easy.

Hopefully Ps3 version is just like this (albeit at 720p).

I could just be wrong, but I think they may have higher res original renderings available, or they may have actually rerendered them.

Here's a raw background dump from the GC REmake compared against the video.

remake_rerender_by_alooo81-d81z4sc.gif

Keep in mind that this is from a youtube video, which explains why it looks washed out (limited color range). Also, keep in mind that though it may look stretched, the original game actually also shrinks the images down vertically, so 16:9 mode does not seem to do any additional stretching to the image, only an aspect ratio scaling.

There seems to be details visible there though that just straight up aren't present in the original texture.

Here are the raw images for others to view themselves.

gbie08_d6b48de6_6_by_alooo81-d81z51q.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
lol but then the very next screen you've got stuff like this so I don't know whatever maybe the visuals of the original were actually really inconsistent, we just couldn't tell because it was so low res?

rererereremake_by_alooo81-d81z6yv.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I know it's a weird thing to nitpick, but I really don't like the font they use for subtitles and in-game messages. It looks too simple and clean.

Yeah, I noticed this too and I don't like the font they chose to replace it. It's a small thing but it really sticks out to me.

Top Bottom