• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 for Switch new details (Motion, HD Rumble, date)

I wish every TPS just had Gyro like BOTW while using the joycon grip or pro controller. Let the gyro help you fine aim after using the sticks. Why is this shit so fucking hard?

FiveSide

Banned
You wouldn't be able to do it with a single joy-con.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's a moot point now though with the garbage gyro implementation.

You know, what the hell is Capcom's deal? They have this incredible ability to make things inexplicably worse for no reason.

Does Capcom think their re-release of HD remix that goes for $3 on PSN was successful on Switch because of that dumb Ryu mini game?
...because that's not why it sold.
None of that sounds appealing, even Skyrim has gyro aiming.

Does gyro work when holding a single joy-con sideways? I thought you had to point it.
Point it where? there's nothing to point.
For games like Splatoon you can center it with the press of the button. For games like BOTW it's centered every time you use something that uses gyro

huh, for some reason I never thought of gyro aiming even though RE4 had pointing, could be a killer feature

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 on Switch feature new Joy-Con controls for knifing, aiming & reloading. Aiming is a bit different from RE4 Wii

Instead of the RE4 cursor, apparently Revelations 1+2 Switch let you use the Joy-Cons to auto aim at an enemy. #ResidentEvil

You can auto-aim at another enemies by moving the Joy-Con in the direction of that enemy in Revelations 1+2 Switch.

well fuck

TheMoon

Journalist in japan that covers resident evil and other things.
He also covered RE7 before it came out by going to the capcom offices if you're questioning his validity.

He's not a journalist.

Just look at his twitter bio, linked in the quoted post...

BizDev Manager @BraveWaveMusic; Author of RE history book (out 2018)

Does gyro work when holding a single joy-con sideways? I thought you had to point it.

This is not a Wii Remote. You're thinking of infrared pointers.

Jawmuncher

He's not a journalist.

I'd consider the work he does on his RE journalistic.
He covers basically everything about the series in japan.

That actually seems like it would be a cool thing if jerking the left joy-con in a direction would make you turn to face the closest enemy in that direction, in addition to gyro aiming with the right joy-con.

I'd think it was something lost in translation if not for the term "auto", because technically gyro aiming does mean moving the controller in the direction of the enemy (especially when compared to Wii controls). But I'm going to wait for more data to either confirm or deny what's going on here.

Vena

Other than sketchy gyro the rest seem fine. We're talking about a game that started out on a handheld. I'm sure both games aren't that difficulty to port.

Yes, that would be the point. The ports shouldn't be all that hard but they are late to the party, first of all, and couldn't even afford to bother to implement actual gyro-controls but instead went with *bullet point gyro controls* that amount to glorified tab keys.

Late port -> poor implementation of "selling points" = rushed, low effort.

One should not be surprised by this, Capcom's was caught sleeping on the Switch with no long-term plans at all. It just shows the more they rush out products to fill the void and attempt to tap on the market that they completely missed. Snatching defeat from the hungry jaws of victory.

Like, this is a mechanic ALREADY IN the first Rev 1 game. That means they not only omitted porting that but made something unequivocally worse in its place.

who is this guy?

Journalist in japan that covers resident evil and other things.
He also covered RE7 before it came out by going to the capcom offices if you're questioning his validity.

He's not a journalist.

Are we talking about GAFs very own cvxfreak?

He of "HOLY FUCKING CRAP" fame?

Thinking about it, I can't imagine that Capcom would go to the trouble of implementing a completely novel bit of gyro functionality without also including the most obvious bit of gyro functionality (fucking aiming)... which they already designed, developed and implemented in the original release of the original game.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

To be fair, flicking your wrists to change targets while locked on sounds kind of awesome. Wish BotW had that tbh.

cvxfreak

That actually seems like it would be a cool thing if jerking the left joy-con in a direction would make you turn to face the closest enemy in that direction, in addition to gyro aiming with the right joy-con.

I'd think it was something lost in translation if not for the term "auto", because technically gyro aiming does mean moving the controller in the direction of the enemy (especially when compared to Wii controls). But I'm going to wait for more data to either confirm or deny what's going on here.

Here's the original explanation on Famitsu:

ニンテンドースイッチならではの追加要素として、Joy-Conによる直感的な操作がある。たとえばJoy-Conをナイフに見立てて振ると、ゲーム内でもナイフを振ったり、Joy-Conで直接画面内のクリーチャーを狙うことで照準が合うなど、没入感を高める仕掛けも用意されている。

Aiming at the creature lines up the aiming in-game. But it's different from RE4 because there's no on-screen cursor.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. The Joy-Con isn't a Wii Remote. It should control somewhat similarly, but the vague Famitsu description doesn't clarify this particular issue.

Ridley327

Thinking about it, I can't imagine that Capcom would go to the trouble of implementing a completely novel bit of gyro functionality without also including the most obvious bit of gyro functionality (fucking aiming)... which they already designed, developed and implemented in the original release of the original game.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

This is the same company that swapped the buttons for jump and shooting for the Gamecube release of Mega Man Anniversary Collection for no reason at all, with no way to adjust it. Yes, they can, yes, they have and yes, they will.

Yes, that would be the point. The ports shouldn't be all that hard but they are late to the party, first of all, and couldn't even afford to bother to implement actual gyro-controls but instead went with *bullet point gyro controls* that amount to glorified tab keys.

Late port -> poor implementation of "selling points" = rushed, low effort.

One should not be surprised by this, Capcom's was caught sleeping on the Switch with no long-term plans at all. It just shows the more they rush out products to fill the void and attempt to tap on the market that they completely missed. Snatching defeat from the hungry jaws of victory.

Like, this is a mechanic ALREADY IN the first Rev 1 game. That means they not only omitted porting that but made something unequivocally worse in its place.
If it was rushed this would have already come out by now instead of waiting till late November. But I realize I'm speaking ahead of myself since we don't know if it will run well.

Vena

If it was rushed this would have already come out by now instead of waiting till late November. But I realize I'm speaking ahead of myself since we don't know if it will run well.

Not if development started late because they had nothing else and this was the only thing they could port after the console's (and SFII's) successes.

This is the same company that swapped the buttons for jump and shooting for the Gamecube release of Mega Man Anniversary Collection for no reason at all, with no way to adjust it. Yes, they can, yes, they have and yes, they will.

God, I still can't believe they did that. Well, at least they're consistent in being inconsistent.

Calm Mind

mfw people doubting cvxfreak.
giphy.gif

Oregano

Not if development started late because they had nothing else and this was the only thing they could port after the console's (and SFII's) successes.

Wouldn't even be surprised if development began after they announced them(which was right around when Revelations PS4/XBO would have gone Gold).

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Here's the original explanation on Famitsu:

ニンテンドースイッチならではの追加要素として、Joy-Conによる直感的な操作がある。たとえばJoy-Conをナイフに見立てて振ると、ゲーム内でもナイフを振ったり、Joy-Conで直接画面内のクリーチャーを狙うことで照準が合うなど、没入感を高める仕掛けも用意されている。

Aiming at the creature lines up the aiming in-game. But it's different from RE4 because there's no on-screen cursor.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. The Joy-Con isn't a Wii Remote. It should control somewhat similarly, but the vague Famitsu description doesn't clarify this particular issue.
People were expecting Gyro aiming, like Zelda, for which you don't need a Wiimote.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
what is people whining about?
joycon don't have an IR pointer.
THAT was what made the wiimote vastly superior to everything else in terms of aiming
of course the gyro controls can't be the same thing

Top Bottom