• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

duckroll

Title: Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicle
Genre: Gun Shooting
Platform: Wii
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Cavia

PR said:
Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced its plans for a big comeback of its multi-million-selling franchise, Resident Evil® to the Wii™ video game system this year. Resident Evil®: The Darkside Chronicles, the sequel to the highly successful Wii title Resident Evil®: The Umbrella Chronicles, is in development exclusively for the Wii and is set to hit North American retailers this winter.

“We are very excited to be bringing the sequel to Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles to the Wii as it’s the perfect fit for the platform,” said Mona Hamilton, vice president, marketing, Capcom Entertainment. “We are always looking for new ways to give Capcom fans a chance to experience our games. Umbrella Chronicles was a huge success for us, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles includes a more in-depth co-op experience, and we are excited to bring this exclusive content to the Wii audience.”

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles‘s story is based on Resident Evil 2 and includes the popular characters, Leon S Kenney and Claire Redfield. Its on-rails style gameplay and active camera will create a more immersive “Chronicles” survival experience. As in the last installment, this is a first-person game with extreme shooting gameplay and interactive pathways. Filling in many of the missing pieces of storyline that were not covered in the original “Umbrella Chronicles”, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles will give hardcore fans the chance to re-live some of the most classic moments of the Resident Evil franchise, while allowing new players to take advantage of the intense action-horror experience only possible on the Wii.

Gamers can choose to take on their enemies with the help of an A.I.-controlled character or enlist the help of a friend to fight via two-player co-op. Adding new dimension and strategy to the arcade-style gameplay in the “Chronicles” experience, the new Evade system will utilize the Wii Remote for a more intense experience when fighting enemies.

What we also know from Famitsu's feature on the game:

- When played in actual co-op, the partner is not visible on screen.

- Heavily hinted that it will cover RE2, 4 and CV at least. It will definitely cover more than RE2. The game is centered on Leon and Claire.

- There will be at least as much content as UC had, no less.

- The game will use the licensed Havok physics engine, and also feature improved graphics and lighting compared to UC.

- They are currently tweaking a difficulty balance system that is identical to RE4 and 5, that adjusts the difficulty based on how well the player is doing.

What we know from the credits in the trailer:

- Just Cause is probably working on the cutscenes. The same guys worked on RE5.

- Shotaro Suga is the scenario writer. He wrote Degeneration. He also writes mostly for anime shows, including Darker than Black and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

Trailer: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14328873/vids_1.html

Screens: http://www.digitalgames.fr/2009/03/12/the-darkside-chronicles-premieres-images/

ss0002r_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

r7q8t1.jpg

14k8xz5.jpg

Additional comments so I can ban people that don't like reading OPs:

- If you don't care for UC style gameplay, well, that's great I'm sure there's a huge support group somewhere. Don't shit up this thread with that crap.

- You wanna discuss if RE5 should be on the Wii? Go post at Gamefaqs or something. I think we've heard enough.

- Wanna cry about Capcom not supporting the Wii to your liking? Go send them a letter, it'll probably do better than posting about it here.

- Crying that this isn't RE2make instead? Don't worry, we're all crying with you. :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seems like they are taking a different approach now. The view seems to be like RE 4 but with gameplay of UC.

I might be able to buy into that.

cvxfreak

duckroll, I am pleasantly surprised you have an interest in this game.

Considering you made the thread before me and all. :p

Thanks!

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
duckroll, I am pleasantly surprised you have an interest in this game.

Considering you made the thread before me and all. :p

Thanks!

I have a passive interest in the game. I'm a RE fan, and I'll probably pick up UC whenever I do get a Wii. What I have a problem with is people running with some nonsense discussion that makes it impossible for people actually interested in a game that seems rather neat to discuss it. It's annoying honestly, so I have to do something about it!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
~Kinggi~ said:
Seems like they are taking a different approach now. The view seems to be like RE 4 but with gameplay of UC.

I might be able to buy into that.
That's your partner.

This at least looks better than I thought it was. Hopefully no assets from PS2 games.

Vinci

Danish
Not exactly what I wanted - but hell ... it seems to have some effort thrown into it, so I'll give it a rent and see how it plays. Then I'll buy it if it holds up well to the 'test.'

CrisKre

Im starting to be VERY optimistic about this. They amped up the production values for sure, seem to be focusing on the atmosphere a lot more which should be one of the fortes of on rail experiences and Havok physics tells me they will retain one of the shining elements of UC: destructible environments.

Im getting this.

Edit: oh, and i have NO issues with the wii becoming on rails heaven as long as developers expand on the concept. This and Dead Space E could very well be those games.

Dyno

I think this is an interesting solution for what developers should do for the Wii.

Making Wii specific experiences based upon existing intellectual property is a cost saver for the company, expands the universe and takes advantage of the brand, all the while not compromising the HD versions.

EA's doing it with Dead Space. Hopefully this will catch on! If there was a bunch of enjoyable faire of my favorite franchises I might wind up actually buying the thing.

Aeana

I am very much looking forward to this game.
I loved REUC (spent like 35 hours on it, doing everything). And RE2 is my favorite RE to date, as well. Perfect. :O

Amir0x

Banned
Definitely hoping for big things out of this. Seems like more effort into this than UC, so here's hoping it's a much better game.

Perdew

The evade system: What will it be! I want upper torso control via Balance Board or any other working method.
Probably a duck button

CrisKre

I think this is an interesting solution for what developers should do for the Wii.

Making Wii specific experiences based upon existing intellectual property is a cost saver for the company, expands the universe and takes advantage of the brand, all the while not compromising the HD versions.

EA's doing it with Dead Space. Hopefully this will catch on! If there was a bunch of enjoyable faire of my favorite franchises I might wind up actually buying the thing.

Not only that, this two games (RE:DC and DSE) seem to not only expand on those respective universes but the graphics seem to hold on quite well to the HD counterparts. In this particular games atmosphere is key, and these seem to deliver very very well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
UC could have been a good game if they bothered to make the details more relevant to RE. What i mean is, the game felt like a light-gun game, cheesy music and voicework and all of that. There were certainly opportunities to creatively incorporate all of the RE traditions into the game.

If they just made things creepier, the visuals were certainly there to accommodate.

If they do that with this one i will definitely look into getting a Wii for it. Been looking for an excuse for a while. Madworld was a step in the right direction.

Teknoman

Glad they made the crosshair a little more detailed. As long as the graphics are great throughout the game and the framerate is rock solid, i'll be happy. Also make the zombies move at a slightly faster pace.

Dascu

High-quality lightgun shooter revival on the Wii. Guess there's some hope in the game industry after all.

Have Claire's hips always been so......... captivating?

I loved UC and my only complaint was that some of my favorite RE games were left out. Your partner running in front of you also seems like a great addition even if its small.

Just please get rid of those quick time events, or at least change them so they aren't so difficult, or at least don't make me do half a level over agian just because I failed one.

Aeana

The only thing I really want them to change, personally, is the reloading. I'd prefer to just have to point away from the screen instead of having to shake the remote. :\

cjelly said:
Who's the developer? Don't see it in the OP.
Cavia.

Sadist

It looks like the game has more effort into it when compared to UC.

So... I'm probably going to buy this.
Claire looks hot

Day one for sure, I was blown away at the trailer. It hurts a lot that this is not the game we all wished it was, especially since it looks like its all there. But UC was great, this will be too.

Davey Cakes

I prefer the new crosshair as well.

This game, considering that it's still early in development, looks impressive. Already a step up from UC. I'm having fun with UC as we speak, so I'm interested in seeing what kind of tweaks Cavia is making with DSC in order to differentiate it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm interested in this, it looks very nice for a light gun game too. I'm meaning to pick up UC at some point, but for those of you that have played it, what changes would you want to see made for this game?

It seems they're keeping the length around the same, adding a new evade system, and improving the graphics/lighting/physics. Was the most lacking aspect of UC also the most fundamental part of any light gun game, the lack of a calibration screen, like the one found in House of the Dead?

I've always felt my Wii was setup such that the remote already points on the screen pretty much exactly where I point it anyway, so how was the game hurt by not having one?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that they're just recycling RE4's alternate costume.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The game looks so much better than UC it's not even funny.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Have Claire's hips always been so......... captivating?
All of Claire has always been so captivating :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm really excited for this, Its covering the RE's I want it too and looks to have some awesome promise ^_^

goompapa

Just started playing UC. Loving it quite a bit. I'm a railshooter noob, maybe that's why I didn't notice the flaws.:p

Looking forward to this. I wonder if you can shoot your partner on the screen.

Perdew

Minsc said:
I'm interested in this, it looks very nice for a light gun game too. I'm meaning to pick up UC at some point, but for those of you that have played it, what changes would you want to see made for this game?

It seems they're keeping the length around the same, adding a new evade system, and improving the graphics/lighting/physics. Was the most lacking aspect of UC also the most fundamental part of any light gun game, the lack of a calibration screen, like the one found in House of the Dead?

I've always felt my Wii was setup such that the remote already points on the screen pretty much exactly where I point it anyway, so how was the game hurt by not having one?

Calibration 1) Makes it playable with no crosshair and 2) Makes it more accurate to your natural movements. Sounds like you calibrated your entire Wii, in a way, though!

Anony

i'll comment on the graphics again, they look insane

it WOULD be nice if there was co-op online, you get 2 different perspectives at the same time
of course, on the wii, local coop is enough :<

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The question I have for this and DS:E is whether it is possible to make a lightgun suspenseful? When your only option is shooting stuff, how do you have those stretches of non-action to build tension without the player getting bored? I'm hoping that one of these games come up with an answer, I thought that this game may do it by having co-op (AI or split screen human) where you could potentially be inactive while watching your partners back, but apparently that is not to be. DS:E may pull it off by having puzzles that are being solved while you also have to keep an eye out for enemies but we will see. Anyone else have any ideas?

CrisKre

It will be interesting to see how the RE4 sections compare to the actual game. Will they be significantly improved graphically? will we see sections we havent seen before?

The question I have for this and DS:E is whether it is possible to make a lightgun suspenseful? When your only option is shooting stuff, how do you have those stretches of non-action to build tension without the player getting bored? I'm hoping that one of these games come up with an answer, I thought that this game may do it by having co-op (AI or split screen human) where you could potentially be inactive while watching your partners back, but apparently that is not to be. DS:E may pull it off by having puzzles that are being solved while you also have to keep an eye out for enemies but we will see. Anyone else have any ideas?

I think the quicktime events do the job when it comes to this. its all about reaction, and if you are shocked about something happening on screen and you need to do a specific motion fast it adds to the tension.

Rez said:
It's a shame that they're just recycling RE4's alternate costume.
But that costume was modeled after Leon's RE2 costume. I hardly consider that "recycling". What else did you expect him to be wearing?

The trailer looks much better than I thought it would.
Speed it up a bit, and git rid of the hit problems, and I might buy it.

Unless the reviews slams this i will defenitly get it.
the visuals looks great and it seems to play nicely too, after HotD:OK i am really starting to dig light gun shooters:D

So are they going to fuse the 2 stories into 1??
By the look of it, you have Leon and Clare on the team at all times.

I'm trying to figure out what having your on-screen partner visible does for you, other than block your view of the guys you're trying to kill. I know they'll supposedly help you out but if friendly fire is turned on, I've got a feeling I'd prefer they just get out of the way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
David H Wong said:
I'm trying to figure out what having your on-screen partner visible does for you, other than block your view of the guys you're trying to kill. I know they'll supposedly help you out but if friendly fire is turned on, I've got a feeling I'd prefer they just get out of the way.
Im thinking it's to fool guys like me who would want an RE 2 remake like RE 4. Those screens are mighty misleading.

Vinci

Danish
David H Wong said:

I think it's a neat idea, though I wish it had online so they could maintain the partner in your line of sight as each player takes turns slightly leading into situations while the other sits back and covers. The fact that the other character simply disappears from view in true co-op is frustrating to me for some reason. I like the added dimension of having them visible.

Top Bottom