• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Ridley327

Man, Shadows of the Damned has really spoiled me, because I keep trying to do a 180 while aiming and then I realize I can't.

Not very far into it, but it seems like a decent little package thus far.

Yuterald

I played this game for 2 hours straight today after picking it up. It's Mercs, and it's mega addicting still! The first handful of missions are boring tutorial levels, but once you get to 3-4, I believe, it feels like the good old Mercs. I had a 75 string combo and got my SS Rank on that stage and it was as exhilarating as it can get. If the game gets a bit deeper and more challenging with the weapon load outs and skills then I'm cool with the package. Mercenaries definitely translates to the portables well.

I would say that the lack of a leaderboard is strange. But I do really enjoy the unlock/progression system in the game. The music is pretty good too. Heard some jazzy track in one of the missions, I was a bit surprised, but I was digging it!

Disguises

I'm not sure I've seen the answer anywhere, but I only just thought - does this game let you play co-op online with random people or just friends?

Yuterald said:
I played this game for 2 hours straight today after picking it up. It's Mercs, and it's mega addicting still! The first handful of missions are boring tutorial levels, but once you get to 3-4, I believe, it feels like the good old Mercs. I had a 75 string combo and got my SS Rank on that stage and it was as exhilarating as it can get. If the game gets a bit deeper and more challenging with the weapon load outs and skills then I'm cool with the package. Mercenaries definitely translates to the portables well.

I would say that the lack of a leaderboard is strange. But I do really enjoy the unlock/progression system in the game. The music is pretty good too. Heard some jazzy track in one of the missions, I was a bit surprised, but I was digging it!

3-4 really does step it up. The enemies are constant but it's possible to get the Combo Bonus and keep pulling off melee attack time bonuses to extend the level infinitely. The whole game works well for a portable for super quick or even longer sessions that concentrates solely on high scores and ranks.

Anyone else getting any errors when trying to play Online? My 3DS connection is fine but I keep getting an error when trying to connect with this game.

Disguises said:
I'm not sure I've seen the answer anywhere, but I only just thought - does this game let you play co-op online with random people or just friends?

The game will pull a list of random current sessions you can join in Global Session. Or you can initiate Friend Session for a friend game.

Disguises

Price Drop said:
The game will pull a list of random current sessions you can join in Global Session. Or you can initiate Friend Session for a friend game.
Phew! Thank you. Was getting worried for a second there that it would only allow friends. :)

Borman

GoldandBlue said:
Anyone else getting any errors when trying to play Online? My 3DS connection is fine but I keep getting an error when trying to connect with this game.

Just keep trying. Can take a few tries to connect

MooMoo

Wait, so in RE4/5 Mercs, you also get scored for things like accuracy. Is that applicable to the score system in this game? Or is it strictly just the things the show in the score screen (so # enemies killed, highest combo, etc.)?

xXJonoXx

Even being a huge Resident Evil fanboy.. I'm not sure I want this game now. I was just borrowing my friend's 3DS and I was going to buy this game today with the $10 GC sale at Best Buy and play it.. but after I return the 3DS am I going to be able to sell the game to at least get most of my money back? With the one save system I'm not so sure... should I take the chance? Anyone who is a huge RE fan, have you really liked the game so far? Worth at least $30?

Riposte

As a Mercenaries fan, is this game as good or better than the Mercenaries we got in the past? I'm not looking at reviews because I can't imagine anyone in the press liking this kind of game(arcade-style content, japanese, "clunky controls"). I remember hearing good things about it from someone more relatable on Japanese podcast, but those were early impressions.

Kevitivity

The disabled save reset move by Capcom is probably one of the worst anti-consumer dick-moves done by a game developer / publisher I've ever seen. I'm really surprised there aren't more people angered at this.

Riposte said:
As a Mercenaries fan, is this game as good or better than the Mercenaries we got in the past? I'm not looking at reviews because I can't imagine anyone in the press liking this kind of game(arcade-style content, japanese, "clunky controls"). I remember hearing good things about it from someone more relatable on Japanese podcast, but those were early impressions.
I think you'll really like it as a fan. But that's only as a fan.

It may be difficult to recommend this to non RE or Mercenaries fans.

Riposte

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think you'll really like it as a fan. But that's only as a fan.

It may be difficult to recommend this to non RE or Mercenaries fans.

Wasn't exactly what I was asking though. I want a comparison to old Mercenaries modes.

Kevitivity said:
The disabled save reset move by Capcom is probably one of the worst anti-consumer dick-moves done by a game developer / publisher I've ever seen. I'm really surprised there aren't more people angered at this.

I'm not angered because I dont sell the games that I buy, so I'm in the minority

GQman2121

Banned
I just saw the TV spot for this game. In-game footage flashes during the beginning and then what is shown looks like RE5. Bait and switch to the fucking max. The game looks good for a handheld, but not that good.

Riposte said:
Wasn't exactly what I was asking though. I want a comparison to old Mercenaries modes.
Maybe someone else more experienced with Mercenaries can give you a better answer, but I say it's a very faithful and good port of RE Mercenaries in handheld form.

It's not perfect like some of the animation that was sacrificed on distant enemies so that the 3DS' processor won't work overtime, but since the 3DS is all about close combat anyway, it's no big deal. Slightly annoying, but it's nothing after you play for awhile.

So far I played against a boss, and it's pretty impressive. It's also just as challenging.

I haven't played co-op up yet but I'm sure it's 5x more fun with a friend.

There are also unlockables, weapons, characters, and costumes.

But it's basically just a 3DS enhanced port of the past RE4 and RE5 Mercenaries. So if you loved those you'll love this.

So I just finished playing through the tutorial and a couple levels, and I'd like to say, its decent so far. Controls are odd, but you get use to them. Graphics are good. But I can understand why everyone is disappointed in the sound, its really...bad.
The Revelations demo was disappointingly short.

I just noticed that with Cave Story 3D pushed back, there's nothing left to look forward to on the system until at least September IF Starfox 64 3D is supposed to come out!

Which is another reason why I picked RE Mercenaries up.

The 3DS really needs more games. I can't wait for them.

Love RE Mercs modes in RE4 and 5, and I love this. Agree first couple chapters are slow but 3 and on have been a blast. I think I'll be playing this for a long time to rack up the highest scores possible. Everything translates well, the only jarring thing at first was hitting L allows you to move in all directions in first person. This replaces the knife so if you run out of ammo I guess you're screwed. Doesn't seem like that'd happen, though.

Also, RE Revelations demo is very impressive and atmospheric...for the 3 minutes it lasts.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
USP just came with my package. I know the Revelations demo is terribly short, but I'll probably dive into it first anyway.
When I played I braced myself to encounter the second monster and waited in the hallway and the game just faded out and ended. I'd say try running through it as quickly as possible, you may be able to experience more than I did.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
robut said:
Love RE Mercs modes in RE4 and 5, and I love this. Agree first couple chapters are slow but 3 and on have been a blast. I think I'll be playing this for a long time to rack up the highest scores possible. Everything translates well, the only jarring thing at first was hitting L allows you to move in all directions in first person. This replaces the knife so if you run out of ammo I guess you're screwed. Doesn't seem like that'd happen, though.

Also, RE Revelations demo is very impressive and atmospheric...for the 3 minutes it lasts.
Hm, I thought so.

Some other poster here told me the knife was still in the game.
edit: GJS helped me clear that up.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just noticed that with Cave Story 3D pushed back, there's nothing left to look forward to on the system until at least September IF Starfox 64 3D is supposed to come out!

Which is another reason why I picked RE Mercenaries up.

The 3DS really needs more games. I can't wait for them.
What about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked? Thats August.

After reading the reviews, i want this game bad!....problem is i'm broke and i forgot to pre order, and i don't get paid till next friday :( I have two friends who ride the bus with me(one with a 3DS) and they are both stoked to play this.

GJS

Serenade said:
Hm, I thought so.

Some other poster here told me the knife was still in the game. Didn't make sense since not one video had shown it in combat.
The knife is a weapon just like the rest, it takes 1 slot in the loadout.

By default Jill and Krauser's loadouts have a knife.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GJS said:
The knife is a weapon just like the rest, it takes 1 slot in the loadout.

By default Jill and Krauser's loadouts have a knife.
Ah, knife being a standalone weapon completely undermines its usefulness. I guess it's an even trade off for moving and shooting though.

I also just remembered watching one of the trailers and seeing the Jill use the knife too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Riposte said:

Yes, it is as good as old Mercenaries titles. Now that I've sunk more time into it, its got that nail biting 'must beat the clock / must not die' intensity as you aim for high scores.

The main problems it has come down to presentation issues, and general organisation of menus. Its not set up very well. The mission structure is fine I guess, but the game really needed a skirmish mode, where you could simply select a map, difficulty, gameplay type (time attack/waves) and play as is. Instead you need to dig through the missions to find the right one, which can be a pain as none of the missions actually have any description.

I'm enjoying it more now that I've got into it and got past the terrible tutorial stages at the start. Its far from perfect and does seem a bit rushed / clumsy, but I cant see a Mercs fan being all that disappointed. The various perks you can unlock, and the fact you can level up those perks, is a good incentive to keep playing if you like the formula.

I might have to try and organise some online matches with some gaffers though. I tried last night and could only find one global match, and it refused to connect every time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:
Yes, it is as good as old Mercenaries titles. Now that I've sunk more time into it, its got that nail biting 'must beat the clock / must not die' intensity as you aim for high scores.

The main problems it has come down to presentation issues, and general organisation of menus. Its not set up very well. The mission structure is fine I guess, but the game really needed a skirmish mode, where you could simply select a map, difficulty, gameplay type (time attack/waves) and play as is. Instead you need to dig through the missions to find the right one, which can be a pain as none of the missions actually have any description.

I'm enjoying it more now that I've got into it and got past the terrible tutorial stages at the start. Its far from perfect and does seem a bit rushed / clumsy, but I cant see a Mercs fan being all that disappointed. The various perks you can unlock, and the fact you can level up those perks, is a good incentive to keep playing if you like the formula.

I might have to try and organise some online matches with some gaffers though. I tried last night and could only find one global match, and it refused to connect every time.

ahh don't feel so bad about getting the game now, it gets fun after teh tutorial, that's cool: also

i'll be up for an online match, jsut gotta get my copy first

Oro

This game is exactly what I expected to be, Mercenaries on a portable. Online works well enough, I've played more online games than offline. Fun fun fun

Mercenaries on the whole probably works better as a handheld game. I'm a RE fan and only played MERCs a handful of times. But since it's a score-based mode it is perfect for on-the-go gaming.

People who aren't into breaking their own records, working on getting higher ranks or looking for something the game is not will knock it down. But if you're an RE fan or MERCs fan I think it delivers.

Got up to the first mission in the RE4 Village (The fourth mission set, I think) The first few missions weren't all that great, but it kicked up when I got to the third set of missions. Really can't wait to go online.

SmithnCo

Lucentto said:
Trying to find out what the fuck I have to do to unlock weapon loadouts. Probably have to beat the EX missions.

I heard you could unlock them from doing high-level missions, or just using play coins. I don't have the game yet though so I'm not sure.

Yuterald

Lucentto said:
Trying to find out what the fuck I have to do to unlock weapon loadouts. Probably have to beat the EX missions.

From what I've seen I believe you need to spend 3DS Play Coins. Select a '?' loadout slot and the game should ask you to spend 10 Play Coins. I hope there is another way to unlock load outs though. Maybe the devs intended you to walk around and local play with lots of people. :/

Kolgar

Got my copy today and I'm enjoying it! It's Mercs in your hand... with visuals like RE5!

I think this is the perfect title for portable, pick-up-and-play fun. Fills a nice niche in the 3DS game library and looks great doing it.

I'm happy with my purchase.

A couple guides have surfaced:

To unlock characters

Barry – Complete mission 4-5 with a B rank or higher
Claire – Complete mission 1-3 with a B rank or higher
Krauser – Complete mission 3-5 with a B rank or higher
Rebecca – Complete mission 2-3 with a B rank or higher
Wesker – Complete mission 5-5 with a B rank or higher

To unlock their alt costumes

Barry’s American Outfit – Get 20 total medals
Chris’ Pilot Outfit – Get an SS rank in Mission 1-3, or get 10 total medals
Claire’s Suit Outfit – Get 25 total medals
Hunk’s Reaper Outfit – Get an A rank in all missions, except Level Ex
Jill’s Resident Evil 3 Outfit – Get an S rank in Mission 3-5
Krauser’s Exoskeleton Outfit- Get an S rank in Mission 5-5
Rebacca’s Nurse Outfit – Get an S rank in all missions, except Level Ex
Wesker’s Uroboros Outfit – Get a B rank or higher in all missions

To unlock loadouts, you just need to unlock the associated character and select the ? space where there portrait would be, and the game will prompt you to spend 10 play coins. I don't know how to unlock the bonus loadout, somehow I did it (costs 15 play coins, it's the Red 9 and two way grenade launcher).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UncleSporky said:
To unlock loadouts, you just need to unlock the associated character and select the ? space where there portrait would be, and the game will prompt you to spend 10 play coins. I don't know how to unlock the bonus loadout, somehow I did it (costs 15 play coins, it's the Red 9 and two way grenade launcher).

Cool, thanks. Tried the Red 9, and all it did is confirm my thoughts that RE: Mercs 3D has the worst sound design of any game I've played in recent memory. The snappy, sharp crack of the Red 9 from Resident Evil 4? Nope. Sounds like a fucking pea shooter.

Capcom really fucked up the gun sounds and I have no idea how.

EatChildren said:
Cool, thanks. Tried the Red 9, and all it did is confirm my thoughts that RE: Mercs 3D has the worst sound design of any game I've played in recent memory. The snappy, sharp crack of the Red 9 from Resident Evil 4? Nope. Sounds like a fucking pea shooter.

Are we sure it was Capcom and not just someone like TOSE stitching together pre-existing mercenaries modes? I'm kind of glad that I never enjoyed the mercenaries mode in either game or I would have ended up purchasing this.

Picked this up after work today and put an hour or two in. Still trying to get a comfortable hand position for holding R while consistently hitting the face buttons. Switched to the D control scheme since I'm so used to hitting a button to run.

Really disappointed that you can't just select a map in multiplayer so far; being locked into the missions is terrible. Two of my online matches were on 1-3, which has barely any enemies and resorted to me and my partner just roaming around until we found them all. I'm at 3-5 now and so far there are only 3 Duo options; hopefully Chapter 4 and 5 have many more Duo missions, because right now, it's slim pickings.

Audio quality is piss poor and menu navigation is frustrating. I have no idea why their designer would make you go all the way to the right to click mission select, then choose your level, and then your stage. It's just tedious and annoying functionality wise.

Even with all those negatives, if you like Mercenaries mode from the other RE games, you should have fun with this. I am enjoying the game, but the flaws are so obvious, that it's impossible to not mention them when giving first impressions.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:

does it still sound a pea shootery even with headhones??

Top Bottom