• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil with action is the best Resident Evil

luulubuu

tumblr_oj63u4m6Qc1sfv573o1_400.gif

This has been a real argument between the fanbase for a long time now, and I want you, whatever are your inclinations to the franchise to take a moment to appreciate what the camera on shoulder did for Resident Evil.

First of all, we all know here that the franchise was going stale and Capcom wanted to shake things up a bit, thats how we ended up with Devil May Cry and some other side projects that never saw the light of the day like the stunning RE 3.5 project where Leon gets infected with the Progenitor virus and he is tripping all over the place.

This approach is very very Silent Hill-y so Capcom decided to spice things up and add some more action and we ended up with Resident Evil 4, the best game ever.

I always joke about this, I always say is the best game ever but I do think is one of my favorite games to pick and play whenever I feel like it and only a few titles can do that for me and a few of them are Resident Evil titles.

Maybe you don't like this approach and your opinion is valid and I respect it, you should have the experience you seek as well as the ones I want, and I really want some of these back;

izmhp4ikcsdxwp3p4x.gif

Oh yeah
97b4e9cc587fc18e73f537a44d8f4232.gif

Yes!
tumblr_n8wh3kHedX1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Nice

And yes, I loved RE7 and I want to see more of this route of subjective horror but I would be very sad if I see such a wonderful approach to the TPS being left for dead.
I have so much fun just playing around and doing cheesy stunts and landing headshots and I want it back badly.

giphy.gif

I mean look at that, is just good.

Hell-Yeah-leon-kennedy-32386427-440-248.gif

And this is just better.

But I have to admit that I never really liked the story approach of the actions titles beyond RE4 which is the best game ever made. The story in RE has been escalating, like is natural, and by doing that it landed on a serious tone that I'm not really a fan of.

It talks about politics, about betrayals and have so many characters for a game that could work perfectly as anthological set pieces of different agents who are involved in some bioterrorism or maybe a little event related to virus or new kind of monster.

The soft reboot was needed and I think we are back on a golden era for the saga, but I want some action back.

JZiGm2G.gif

JayEH

This thread will be fun.

I'll just be happy with a mercs game at this point. I don't need a big budget re6 campaign again.

RE2/3/remake/4 was the golden age of the series (too bad about code veronica tho), all of which had a decent mix of horror/action

Neff

I agree, because Resident Evil has always had action, and Resident Evil has always been good.

RE2/3/remake/4 was the golden age of the series (too bad about code veronica tho), all of which had a decent mix of horror/action

And that.

Wait no RECV is awesome.

BiggNife

Hktpkmu.gif

I like action RE. I like horror RE. I think both can peacefully coexist and there doesn't need to be an argument about it.

Azoor

If only Resident Evil 6 focused on good encounter design rather than being a QTE fest then it would have been an amazing game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While I'm overall a horror enthusiast, I actually do like action Resident Evil. I would even say I about evenly enjoy horror and action Resident Evil, just for very different reasons.

I know a lot of people comment about chasing that CoD tail, but in honesty there's very little in gaming that matches action RE. And action RE has resulted in some of the best co-op games, in my opinion. Resident Evil 5 is the GOAT of co-op games for me, it is seriously one of my favorite co-op campaign games to exist, and Resident Evil 6 has its flaws but I think has some serious highs and lows that are very fun to go through in co-op, and the game is stupidly packed with content with some pretty fun mechanics when you begin to get a handle on them.

Resident Evil 4 is up there as one of my all time favorite games. I also think Revelations 2 is a nice low-budget cross between horror and action Resident Evil.

I also think Resident Evil: Dead Aim is underrated, and though has some control issues is surprisingly atmospheric and kind of like an early horror/action crossover.

Also the on-rail Resident Evil games, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, I enjoyed both.

I wouldn't say it's best Resident Evil, but I can say I like both horror and action RE and I hope Capcom produces both. I very much loved Resident Evil 7, and hope to see some more horror attempts from Capcom, but that does not mean I want action Resident Evil to go away. And frankly I need a new online co-op Resident Evil fix.

Ahasverus

No it's not.

Go buy action games, don't mess with that it is not.

Resident Evil 6 is a literal abomination that should never be repeated.

ShinMaruku

Resident Evil is a cheesy spy movie with zombies. The moment the games stray from that, is the moment the games fail. It was always cheesy always filled with sexual tension and was always taking the piss.

I won't ultimately say best, but I like both approaches when done well. I am very happy RE7 was the breath of fresh but familiar air it was.

REmake and RE4 stand as some of the best games of all time

duckroll

You have my sword! I don't care for jump scares or the sense of helplessness with severely limited ammo or a lack of strong guns in an isolated place.

As long as there's a nice creepy or pseudo-horror-ish atmosphere. Give me FIREPOWER. Give me MELEE QTEs. Give me ROCKET LAUNCHERS. Give me SET PIECES. Let me feel STRONG. Let me feel AWESOME. Hate getting scared. Just wanna shoot some mobs. MERCENARIES for life.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
While I'm overall a horror enthusiast, I actually do like action Resident Evil. I would even say I about evenly enjoy horror and action Resident Evil, just for very different reasons.

I know a lot of people comment about chasing that CoD tail, but in honesty there's very little in gaming that matches action RE. And action RE has resulted in some of the best co-op games, in my opinion. Resident Evil 5 is the GOAT of co-op games for me, it is seriously one of my favorite co-op campaign games to exist, and Resident Evil 6 has its flaws but I think has some serious highs and lows that are very fun to go through in co-op, and the game is stupidly packed with content with some pretty fun mechanics wen you begin to get a handle on them.

Resident Evil 4 is up there as one of my all time favorite games. I also think Revelations 2 is a nice low-budget cross between horror and action Resident Evil.

I also think Resident Evil: Dead Aim is underrated, and though has some control issues is surprisingly atmospheric and kind of like an early horror/action crossover.

Also the on-rail Resident Evil games, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, I enjoyed both.

I wouldn't say it's best Resident Evil, but I can say I like both horror and action RE and I hope Capcom produces both. I very much loved Resident Evil 7, and hope to see some more horror attempts from Capcom, but that does not mean I want action Resident Evil to go away. And frankly I need a new online co-op Resident Evil fix.

Dead Aim is legit.

You have my sword! I don't care for jump scares or the sense of helplessness with severely limited ammo or a lack of strong guns in an isolated place.

As long as there's a nice creepy or pseudo-horror-ish atmosphere. Give me FIREPOWER. Give me MELEE QTEs. Give me ROCKET LAUNCHERS. Give me SET PIECES. Let me feel STRONG. Let me feel AWESOME. Hate getting scared. Just wanna shoot some mobs. MERCENARIES for life.

I can never tell if Duckroll's legit. ��

luulubuu

Resident Evil is a cheesy spy movie with zombies. The moment the games stray from that, is the moment the games fail. It was always cheesy always filled with sexual tension and was always taking the piss.

Exactly, Resident Evil even if it had horror elements, it was more cheesy and trope than real horror, even if it was designed as a spiritual sucessor of Sweet Home

If Capcom really wants to give RE6 style action a shot again they need to have better tutorials, level design, and enemy encounters.

kunonabi

Never cared for the action stuff since that isnt what i play resident evil for. Id much rather those mechanics get folded into Dino Crisis or something else. I dont really find re4 or re5 to be great action games to begin with either.

GunBR

Resident Evil 4 is the best RE, so I agree with that

The terrible AI of Shiva in RE 5 and the bunch of problems of RE 6 killed these games, not the action

Ahasverus

Resident Evil has been that for far longer than "survival" horror.
Should fans celebrate the bastardization of a once beloved series into a parody?

And I don't think you're right. RE became full action with RE5 in 2008 until RE6 in 2012 I think. RE4 is still action-horror, which is a good compromise SPECIALLY because the level design of 4 is impeccable.

Blueblur1

I see that the OP makes no mention of RE5 and instead highlights the awful RE6 melee combat. This is not exactly the right way to make this argument, IMO.

Cess007

I don't know if it's the best, but at least they are fun to play (more so with friends). I really wish they revisit the concept; beating RE5 and RE6 with a friend is the most fun I'd with the series since RE2.

Should fans celebrate the bastardization of a once beloved series into a parody?

And I don't think you're right. RE became full action with RE5 in 2008 until RE6 in 2012 I think. RE4 is still action-horror, which is a good compromise SPECIALLY because the level design of 4 is impeccable.

Dude RE4 is by far the cheesiest entry. Series was always campy and action.

Resident Evil 4 is the best RE, so I agree with that

The terrible AI of Shiva in RE 5 and the bunch of problems of RE 6 killed these games, not the action

Were you playing RE5 on harder difficulty? Cuz Sheva has no problem taking care of herself on normal difficulty.

duckroll

RE4 is an action game. The set pieces are all action. You aren't constrained by ammo to a point where you hesitate to shoot. The game has sequences where you hold off zombies in a house by shooting at dozens of them. You have a QTE knife fight with a special forces boss man. You blow bosses up with a RPG. It makes you feel empowered and awesome. Action RE forever!

Fans should certainly celebrate when a series goes from a curious improved Japanese version of Alone in the Dark to a revolutionary action shooter that inspired Gears of War.

luulubuu

I see that the OP makes no mention of RE5 and instead highlights the awful RE6 melee combat. This is not exactly the right way to make this argument, IMO.

I like better the flashy moves in RE6 than the the ones in RE5, I also didn't mention the coop or the new approach to puzzles, either the animations in RE5 like Chris's Mythic punch or the additions to the RE4 scheme, like being able to move around while aiming (re6) or the simplified inventory in 5. Not for not mentioning them is like saying I don't like them

I didn't mention the QTEs even!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll go dragging and screaming into the night to fight for my survival horror RE. I want inventory paralysis, I want blindspot tension, I want limited ammo.

Gator86

RE4 is amazing and a legend in the industry. RE6 is the liquid at the bottom of a trash can. It's a little more complicated than Action RE and Scary RE.

RE4 is an action game. The game gives you a lot of ammo to deal with crowds of enemies. Not to mention the part where Leon and Mike go on a killing spree.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Then why're you playing a horror game?!

Hxm0QIQ.gif

No thanks. Give me mood, atmosphere, puzzles to think about and a great soundtrack wrapped around a slow paced adventure of sorts so that there is enough time for me to soak myself in the environments.
This. The thing people miss about RE4 is that it had a huge dreadful atmosphere to go along with the action. And the action was supposed to be cathartic juxtaposition from the long quiet walks and smaller encounters. That's what made it good. RE5 and 6 are devoid of that completely. There's not a single thing as remotely chilling as the chanting castle sound design in the RE5 or 6. Let alone anything even being in the same stratosphere as REmake.

Renna Hazel

I agree 100 percent. I'd love a new RE in the style of 4 and 5. 6 was a misstep and I didn't bother with 7 after trying the demo where absolutely nothing happens.

luulubuu

RE4 is an action game. The set pieces are all action. You aren't constrained by ammo to a point where you hesitate to shoot. The game has sequences where you hold off zombies in a house by shooting at dozens of them. You have a QTE knife fight with a special forces boss man. You blow bosses up with a RPG. It makes you feel empowered and awesome. Action RE forever!

Fans should certainly celebrate when a series goes from a curious improved Japanese version of Alone in the Dark to a revolutionary action shooter that inspired Gears of War.

Not only that, but I mentioned that I liked the three approaches and I love classic RE but I do love to replay RE 4 5 6 more than the rest just because I feel awesome playing and is just adorablely corny and awesome how spectacular is everything.

The first chasing of Dr Salvator with the chainsaw? It tops the dog out of the window scene for me.

Jill Sandwich? What about Leon Pancakes made by this big boy
tumblr_ot5bf082dL1us5zpuo5_500.gif

dlauv

RE has always had action, and RE4 is probably the best game in the series.

Likewise, CVX, 0, and RE6 are so fucking bad.

Regardless of gameplay style, a good game is a good game and a bad one is a bad one. I don't really have a preference in gameplay style. I'm enjoying the promise RE7's gameplay style holds atm.

duckroll

RE4 is amazing and a legend in the industry. RE6 is the liquid at the bottom of a trash can. It's a little more complicated than Action RE and Scary RE.

Great action game is great. Bad action game is bad. Don't see what is complicated about that. The fact is I, and I'm sure a ton of other people, would take a great action game over a great survival horror game any day. Aint got no time to be scared like a wuss under a blanket playing games. Just wanna have fun.

Then why're you playing a horror game?!

I don't play horror games. I play action games. Not sure what you misunderstood.

I like good games. RE4 is awesome. RE5 is less awesome, but still fun. RE6 is shit.

All of them are action games. Not all of them are good.

Top Bottom